Geno or Lock?

• Geno

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Lock

Votes: 88 67.7%

• Total voters

sutz

Reaction score
They used to have a saying that the most popular player on a team that is struggling is the backup QB. ;)

Snark aside, Geno is the starter. If he's healthy he should start . 🤷‍♂️

12forlife

Reaction score
There is literally nothing whatsoever about how the QB situation has been handled that indicates the death of a focus on competition. Nothing.
Ok keep standing on the Geno bridge I guess? All I know is through 12 games played 15TD, 9INT, 3Fumbles, and bad sacks when he just needs to throw it away! Those numbers are pathetic! I'm sorry maybe I stand on my own bridge by myself, but those numbers are not near good enough for QB. He don't have to necessarily throw 40TD a year, but man you have to protect the ball if you want to win in the NFL.

renofox

Reaction score
Ok keep standing on the Geno bridge I guess? All I know is through 12 games played 15TD, 9INT, 3Fumbles, and bad sacks when he just needs to throw it away! Those numbers are pathetic! I'm sorry maybe I stand on my own bridge by myself, but those numbers are not near good enough for QB. He don't have to necessarily throw 40TD a year, but man you have to protect the ball if you want to win in the NFL.
Don't feel alone. I'm right beside you on the Bridge to Nowhere.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect anyone to come in and "ball out" against the best Defenses in the league

I wouldn't either, but I also don't think he did enough (in the eyes of the coach) to come in and take the starting job either. Thats my 2 cents. I mean I WOULD swap QBs because I think this is a lost season anyway and Geno isn't the way, but I'm not Pete.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
In both of their most recent starts, they got the ball late in the fourth, needing to go the length of the field for a TD. One of them lead a 92-yard drive. The other turned the ball over on downs midfield.
This is a good point if you remove literally every ounce of context from the respective situations the team was facing.

Oversimplification is not honesty.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
top 10? No.

Top 15, maybe.

PFF has Geno ranked #12 this week.

So yeah, top 15 is accurate. Which I guess is good? But IMO if you look at QB's past Geno, it's arguably the worst starting QB list of scrubs and stiffs since the forward pass was invented.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Quite a drop from the top 5 people were spouting last year...oof.
I don't think anyone was spouting top-5 outside of saying that he's capable of that level of play in spurts under perfect conditions.

Hell, he can do it for short spurts under worse conditions. He turned in a top 5 performance in the very last game he played.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I don't think anyone was spouting top-5 outside of saying that he's capable of that level of play in spurts under perfect conditions.

Uhhh....people were quoting how his stats put him in the top 3 even last year mainly the first 3/4s of the season before running into the Niners 3 times and the Rams.

ZagHawk

Reaction score

Hell, he can do it for short spurts under worse conditions. He turned in a top 5 performance in the very last game he played.

This is a good thread last year in Nov when he was putting up top 3/5 QB numbers and folks were worried he was worth $40M..

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Uhhh....people were quoting how his stats put him in the top 3 even last year mainly the first 3/4s of the season before running into the Niners 3 times and the Rams.
Are you talking about "people," or is this a fringe case where like a single person was just saying wrong things?

Because that is absolutely not reflective of any sort of popular viewpoint here.

His stats DID put him into the top 3 in many regards initially, but I really did not see many people saying "Geno Smith is a top-3 overall caliber talent in the current NFL." I wasn't even saying that. One of those statements is just basic fact based on our limited statistics, and the other is a total evaluation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Geno was playing like a top 5 QB in the 1st half of last year, to the tune of getting some MVP buzz.

But since then? He's fallen back quite a bit, and continues to play just erratic and inconsistent enough for everyone to be extremely nervous about handing him 31M next year.

If he finishes strong, stays healthy and we make the playoffs? I think Pete and John keep him. If he craps the bed down the stretch and we miss the playoffs? Eh, I can't see Pete and John (or a new regime) moving forward with Geno soaking up 20% of the team cap.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Are you talking about "people," or is this a fringe case where like a single person was just saying wrong things?

Because that is absolutely not reflective of any sort of popular viewpoint here.

His stats DID put him into the top 3 in many regards initially, but I really did not see many people saying "Geno Smith is a top-3 overall caliber talent in the current NFL." I wasn't even saying that. One of those statements is just basic fact based on our limited statistics, and the other is a total evaluation.
This is also what I hate about stats. There's a lot of missing story there.

Oh Jamal Addams broke X record for DB getting sacks. Sweet, okay how about all the failed coverage or defensive schemes to get the sacks.

RW has X completion percentage and finish with X yards in the game, okay but what about all the sacks he takes because he wont throw to someone who isn't wide open and are we forgetting the first 3/4s of the game he was completely ineffective and then got a but of yards in garbage time?

I think the eyeball test is definitely real, for those paying attention Geno is basically T-Jack for the Hawks...great comeback story but he was never the guy, just buying time.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Geno was playing like a top 5 QB in the 1st half of last year, to the tune of getting some MVP buzz.
I remember this and a lot of the critics for Geno were mentioning he was not playing good defenses yet and then the drop off game in the second half and play offs when the Rams and Niners were in the mix. One can view it as a drop-off, another can view it as being exposed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I remember this and a lot of the critics for Geno were mentioning he was not playing good defenses yet and then the drop off game in the second half and play offs when the Rams and Niners were in the mix. One can view it as a drop-off, another can view it as being exposed.

Maybe a little bit of both?

Geno was a vet, but he hadn't started in a decade. So yeah, it took some time for teams to see tape and figure out how to scheme him.

I'm certainly not advocating keeping Geno as our starter. Just saying that they might have to if they don't draft a QB. Just look at that PFF list, it's a wasteland of ineptitude at the QB position.

keasley45

Reaction score
Or you can view it as Brock Huard does, and acknowledge that Geno has had one of the worst running games in the league this year, and worked with one that was comparable over the 2nd half of last year. We saw 8 games or so with our offense functioning as it should, with a reliable running game and solid protection. The numbers don't lie. If there wasn't such a sharp and obvious correlation between when Geno was best and not, and when our running game and blocking were effective / actually used logically and not, I'd be with you that he's on a downward slope.

But like Brock said ' how good (how much better) could Geno be if he had a running game ?...'

He's not off the charts talented. He's got great ball placement, a good arm and can process plays well enough.

He can't just take over a game on his own. But if he has the pieces around him, time to throw, and a logical plan, a lot of the talk about regression would be quited some.

Latest posts