Rams and 49ers drafting habits

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Timmahawk":3tbl2ws5 said:
Stacy is a loser and Mason is "Just A Guy"
I disagree. At least on Mason. He's a good back. Speed kills. And, he knows how to use it. Tougher than you might think, too. Nothing against Gurley, but he hasn't done anything yet in the NFL. Everyone is crowning him. I'm not ready to do that.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
hawknation2015":uniem5to said:
Tical21":uniem5to said:
That dude could be a franchise changer. If Foles is any good, and I've always thought he was going to be, they just got verrrry dangerous. They're a playmaker or two at LB or safety away.

The Rams still have quite a few holes . . . all over their offensive line (OT, G, C) , WR, TE, FS, LB, CB, etc. Their greatest weakness edges against Foles' greatest weakness.

We have young ascending players at just about every position you mentioned. WR, TE, FS, LB, CB - no holes there. Extremely unlikely that a rookie or FA would come in and start at any of these positions - with the possible exception being the SLB, or 3rd LB spot. But that position is down to being used almost exclusively on 1st down.

As far as T, G, C go - Seahawk fans should know that you don't need a OL full of all stars to win games.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3s6bmp1s said:
As far as T, G, C go - Seahawk fans should know that you don't need a OL full of all stars to win games.

You don't when you have the most elusive QB in the league . . . not the same when you have deer-in-the-headlights Nick Foles.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3vbgt86a said:
hawknation2015":3vbgt86a said:
Tical21":3vbgt86a said:
That dude could be a franchise changer. If Foles is any good, and I've always thought he was going to be, they just got verrrry dangerous. They're a playmaker or two at LB or safety away.

The Rams still have quite a few holes . . . all over their offensive line (OT, G, C) , WR, TE, FS, LB, CB, etc. Their greatest weakness edges against Foles' greatest weakness.

If the Rams take the remaining rounds of the draft and fix FS, LB, CB positions, how different would they be from the Seahawks over the last couple of years?

...um, very?

RedAlice

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1bobolmn said:
hawknation2015":1bobolmn said:
Tical21":1bobolmn said:

We have young ascending players at just about every position you mentioned. WR, TE, FS, LB, CB - no holes there. Extremely unlikely that a rookie or FA would come in and start at any of these positions - with the possible exception being the SLB, or 3rd LB spot. But that position is down to being used almost exclusively on 1st down.

I think this remains one of the integral facts of the team - Rams are still full of young players. Nothing proven yet, but plenty to be excited about watching.

Just the simple fact of no B and the unkown of Foles is exciting.

What were the comments on your lovely QB when he was drafted? He was immediately crowned elite before a game had been played?

getnasty

Reaction score
He'll be Steven Jackson 2.0, great career and nothing to show for it. Plus I could have averaged 6.0ypc behind his oline in college. Like others have said the Rams draft high profile guys year after year and have nothing to show for it. At the end of the day Jeff Fischer is not a good coach, and the Rams will draft in the top 10 again next year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RedAlice said:
Just the simple fact of no B and the unkown of Foles is exciting.

That's why Gurley makes sense, a monster productive back that'll take the pressure off of Foles so he doesn't have to throw it 40 times a game.

But Foles will still have to make plays, because like other's have said when teams stack the box to stop Gurley then how will Foles respond with a below average line and below average WR corp.

Russell can create, and HAS to create in order for our offense to move the ball against good defenses. Not so sure Foles can be depended on to do that.

RedAlice

Reaction score
The fun thing for me anyway....I don't know what Foles or anyone on O will actually do right now. I'm also not even sure Gurley is a factor for the beginning of the season yet. Right now our back is still Mason.

Gonna wait and see and not waste my time getting into arguments before a game is played....this is absolutely a pleasure to not know.

I don't think anyone knows how this team will look next year right now.

I give the most respect to those who base their comments on Fisher's history. I hope that he breaks out, but he is currently the only history that can be known here - the players are either young or new to the team.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":1oyi91xu said:
kearly":1oyi91xu said:
Snead and Baalke love drafting big name / hyped prospects. At least so far, that seems to be continuing.

I have mixed feelings about Gurley as a Ram. On the one hand, he's probably not going to play much if at all next season, and even if he did his OL is awful. But in the long term, he's got some DeMarco Murray to his game and I could see him wearing out our D by the 4th quarter.

Having Gurley in the division isn't great news, but at least Rams games just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

As far as Baalke, that seems to be his MO later in the draft as he's always said he values college production over most anything else, but his first rounder's commonly aren't big hype players. Most Niner fans on the 'zone are always like "WTF!?! They could have gotten him 2 rounds later!!!" and then are much happier with their later round picks simply because they've heard of them.

Gurley...man I was dreading that would be the pick. Dunno if he'll be the beast some say and he runs kinda upright, but if he's what people think he could be...that's gonna hurt. Lynch or Gurley 4 games a year? Sheesh.

I personally consider Armstead a name pick because mindless hype carried him as high as he was drafted. His scenario reminded me a lot of the situation that got Dion Jordan drafted 3rd overall. To me, the essence of a name pick is a guy who is hyped in the media more than he should be.

Really interesting to me that the player SF was linked to all draft process long is the guy they actually take. You don't see that very often for a team picking in the mid-1st.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3fi94p56 said:
Timmahawk":3fi94p56 said:
I disagree. At least on Mason. He's a good back. Speed kills. And, he knows how to use it. Tougher than you might think, too. Nothing against Gurley, but he hasn't done anything yet in the NFL. Everyone is crowning him. I'm not ready to do that.

Mason is the kind of back that tends to give Seattle a little trouble. A slasher. But in terms of his overall talent, I think he's a dead average starter at most.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":lo8blhze said:
They STILL have a rat in the building, going back to Singletary. Somebody likes to talk in that front office, probably Jed.

Very interesting. What are some examples of this in previous drafts?

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1wifamnp said:
Marvin49":1wifamnp said:
kearly":1wifamnp said:
Snead and Baalke love drafting big name / hyped prospects. At least so far, that seems to be continuing.

I have mixed feelings about Gurley as a Ram. On the one hand, he's probably not going to play much if at all next season, and even if he did his OL is awful. But in the long term, he's got some DeMarco Murray to his game and I could see him wearing out our D by the 4th quarter.

Having Gurley in the division isn't great news, but at least Rams games just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

As far as Baalke, that seems to be his MO later in the draft as he's always said he values college production over most anything else, but his first rounder's commonly aren't big hype players. Most Niner fans on the 'zone are always like "WTF!?! They could have gotten him 2 rounds later!!!" and then are much happier with their later round picks simply because they've heard of them.

Gurley...man I was dreading that would be the pick. Dunno if he'll be the beast some say and he runs kinda upright, but if he's what people think he could be...that's gonna hurt. Lynch or Gurley 4 games a year? Sheesh.

I personally consider Armstead a name pick because mindless hype carried him as high as he was drafted. His scenario reminded me a lot of the situation that got Dion Jordan drafted 3rd overall. To me, the essence of a name pick is a guy who is hyped in the media more than he should be.

Really interesting to me that the player SF was linked to all draft process long is the guy they actually take. You don't see that very often for a team picking in the mid-1st.

Yeah...and that NEVER happens with the Niners. They never take who they are expected to in round one under Baalke.

This was a first. He was asked about that very thing yesterday.

My point in general tho is that in the 1st they usually take a guy that might be a project and not necessarily a big "name" guy in terms of college production. In the later rounds tho, they are allover those guys (LaMichael James, Chris Borland, Carlos Hyde, etc).

RedAlice

Reaction score
kearly":3rb41ufo said:
TeamoftheCentury":3rb41ufo said:
Timmahawk":3rb41ufo said:

Mason is the kind of back that tends to give Seattle a little trouble. A slasher. But in terms of his overall talent, I think he's a dead average starter at most.

Mason is not the big name back, but he is well above average in terms of overall talent and what he delivers.

Both tweeted after the pick. One seemed upset, the other challenged. Mason seems like a good guy and perhaps this pick makes him better.

Stacy is not a loser.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3l8seof2 said:
hawknation2015":3l8seof2 said:
Tical21":3l8seof2 said:

If the Rams take the remaining rounds of the draft and fix FS, LB, CB positions, how different would they be from the Seahawks over the last couple of years?

Pretty sure they'll be just as bad as they normally are because they haven't replaced their head coach.

chris98251

Reaction score
file.php

Yes good point Alice, but out of the 13 how many were from the Los Angeles Rams?

RedAlice

Reaction score
chris98251":2qectff9 said:
file.php

Yes good point Alice, but out of the 13 how many were from the Los Angeles Rams?

Must there be the constant divide? A Rams player is a Rams player.

chris98251

Reaction score
I was referring to the amount of players from the 60's and 70's to the current era.

RedAlice

Reaction score
chris98251":oxm848sv said:
I was referring to the amount of players from the 60's and 70's to the current era.

There are 28 Hall of Famers attributed to the Rams. The last LA one was the hero I grew up hearing about: Jack Youngblood, then Faulk.

There is one from STL.

ETA: This is the history that the STL fans would like to erase and pretend that never happened.

Fanatics

Reaction score
I don't know how 49ers were thrown into this thread, as most of thceir picks are head scratchers. If you had heard of them, it is usually seen as a reach as they were projected much later. I mean really how many here heard of the Samford Safety?