Rams and 49ers drafting habits

RAMbot

Reaction score
ivotuk":lv3qm54n said:
Jeff Fisher will put Gurley in too soon once they get a few games below .500. He grinds his running backs in to a pulp then sheds them like old skin. Tre will be beat up by mid-season and Todd will suffer the effects of jumping from College ranks to the Pros with little to no training camp and zero exposure to NFL defenses.

I predict a .500 season with 2016 being a "make or break" year for Fisher, only to be fired toward the end of the season and replaced by some relatively unknown assistant coach.

Without a player of Warren Moon's or Steve McNair's caliber, Jeff Fisher will be an average head coach.

It helps to know your enemy as Sun Tzu has said in the Art of War and if you paid any attention as Red Alice pointed out it's already bee well addressed and noted Gurley will not play until he is 110% which means he will probably miss the first 1-4 games which also means you will have to deal with Mason running it over and around your 'vaunted defense'.
Your post sounds more like wishful thinking than realistic but coming from a the Seahawks point of view I could see why you'd want that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RAMbot":3s4p89vb said:
ivotuk":3s4p89vb said:
Jeff Fisher will put Gurley in too soon once they get a few games below .500. He grinds his running backs in to a pulp then sheds them like old skin. Tre will be beat up by mid-season and Todd will suffer the effects of jumping from College ranks to the Pros with little to no training camp and zero exposure to NFL defenses.

I predict a .500 season with 2016 being a "make or break" year for Fisher, only to be fired toward the end of the season and replaced by some relatively unknown assistant coach.

Without a player of Warren Moon's or Steve McNair's caliber, Jeff Fisher will be an average head coach.

It helps to know your enemy as Sun Tzu has said in the Art of War and if you paid any attention as Red Alice pointed out it's already bee well addressed and noted Gurley will not play until he is 110% which means he will probably miss the first 1-4 games which also means you will have to deal with Mason running it over and around your 'vaunted defense'.
Your post sounds more like wishful thinking than realistic but coming from a the Seahawks point of view I could see why you'd want that.

In all honesty, the Rams remind me of the 49ers pre-Harbaugh. Tons of high picks over long period of time, tons of talent, but never do anything with it. I'm not impressed with Fisher either.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RAMbot":1q1wys9i said:
getnasty":1q1wys9i said:
He'll be Steven Jackson 2.0, great career and nothing to show for it. Plus I could have averaged 6.0ypc behind his oline in college. Like others have said the Rams draft high profile guys year after year and have nothing to show for it. At the end of the day Jeff Fischer is not a good coach, and the Rams will draft in the top 10 again next year.

You could of ran behind a line that not one OL prospect from Georgia got drafted into the NFL this year? Your that good huh? :sarcasm_off:
If you don't believe me here it is.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2444 ... nd-results

Your also telling me Pete Carroll is a way better coach than Jeff Fisher?
Pete Carroll career win % is .576, Jeff Fisher is that horrible a coach?.524
I will give you the playoffs where Carroll is 8-5 and Fisher is 5-6.
Facts are Friends not food!

Enjoy your days in the sun because they get fewer everyday now with having had to pay Marshawn and having to pay Mr. Wilson and Robinson wanting a raise your not going to be able to afford all those fancy pieces you've had in recent years.
Who is this Robinson you speak of??????

If Ryan Robinson wants a raise I'm pretty sure they will tell him to eat dirt!
8)

RedAlice

Reaction score
Welcom RAMbot! As you can see, there are some Rams fans around here who enjoy discussing the Rams with other NFCW fans including the Niners and Cards.

It's always good to see new Rams fans join, but I don't understand why you would start off with Hawk insults when you are in a Hawk forum discussing the team and the players. You can do as you like of course, but I think you might find it more enjoyable to discuss the teams and players without doing so. There are some great fans of several teams around here that make the season more fun.

HansGruber

Reaction score
RAMbot":1r0schpa said:
getnasty":1r0schpa said:
He'll be Steven Jackson 2.0, great career and nothing to show for it. Plus I could have averaged 6.0ypc behind his oline in college. Like others have said the Rams draft high profile guys year after year and have nothing to show for it. At the end of the day Jeff Fischer is not a good coach, and the Rams will draft in the top 10 again next year.

You could of ran behind a line that not one OL prospect from Georgia got drafted into the NFL this year? Your that good huh? :sarcasm_off:

Enjoy your days in the sun because they get fewer everyday now with having had to pay Marshawn and having to pay Mr. Wilson and Robinson wanting a raise your not going to be able to afford all those fancy pieces you've had in recent years.
Comparing Carroll and Fisher???

That's freaking hilarious. Only the biggest Rams homer would even try that. The two are worlds apart. To even put them in the same paragraph means you've never watched football and are completely totally clueless. Carroll will be in both the NCAA and NFL Hall of Fame when he retires. He's built two dominant championship programs back to back from nothing. He's one of 3 coaches in the history of the game to win championships at multiple levels of the sport. Every coach in the NFL recognizes his genius, which was obvious when you watched the draft this year and DBs were by far the hottest commodity in the first few days.

Fisher has never done anything. Career of mediocrity. Not known for anything other than dirty, losing football. If you're going to play dirty, you should at least be able to win a few games. Fisher is the laughing stock of the NFL and was hired because the rams wanted to move and needed to alienate STL fans.

You gotta be high on some seriously good crack to even make that comparison with a straight face.

But thanks for letting me know in advance not to ever take anything you say seriously.

RAMbot

Reaction score
HansGruber":3emkee0z said:
RAMbot":3emkee0z said:
getnasty":3emkee0z said:

That's freaking hilarious. Only the biggest Rams homer would even try that. The two are worlds apart. To even put them in the same paragraph means you've never watched football and are completely totally clueless. Carroll will be in both the NCAA and NFL Hall of Fame when he retires. He's built two dominant championship programs back to back from nothing. He's one of 3 coaches in the history of the game to win championships at multiple levels of the sport. Every coach in the NFL recognizes his genius, which was obvious when you watched the draft this year and DBs were by far the hottest commodity in the first few days.

Fisher has never done anything. Career of mediocrity. Not known for anything other than dirty, losing football. If you're going to play dirty, you should at least be able to win a few games. Fisher is the laughing stock of the NFL and was hired because the rams wanted to move and needed to alienate STL fans.

You gotta be high on some seriously good crack to even make that comparison with a straight face.

But thanks for letting me know in advance not to ever take anything you say seriously.

I'm pretty sure it's obvious the two winning percentages were NFL winning percentages. Is Pete Carroll really that higher than Fisher? Really?
Seriously DB's were in high demand specifically because of Caroll? LMFAO Talk about being a homer... so why were WR's in high demand? Pete Carroll?
Let me go out on a limb here and guess that you think the least amount of QB's drafted in the modern era in 2015 was because of who........? Pete Carroll?
Wow your right.... he is a genius, he affects the whole draft and the whole NFL. NFL HOF for sure! GG

RAMbot

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ekcmiz4 said:
RAMbot":2ekcmiz4 said:
getnasty":2ekcmiz4 said:

Who is this Robinson you speak of??????

If Ryan Robinson wants a raise I'm pretty sure they will tell him to eat dirt!
8)
LMAO point taken, I was thinking of Mr. Bennett!

BlueShoe

Reaction score
kearly":2tu5qh2e said:
Snead and Baalke love drafting big name / hyped prospects. At least so far, that seems to be continuing.

I have mixed feelings about Gurley as a Ram. On the one hand, he's probably not going to play much if at all next season, and even if he did his OL is awful. But in the long term, he's got some DeMarco Murray to his game and I could see him wearing out our D by the 4th quarter.

Having Gurley in the division isn't great news, but at least Rams games just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

I think the Rams drafting Gurley was a great move, but I am with you on the Armstead pick. That one made no sense, even with mostly everyone mocking it that way. In my mind, Armstead is at high risk to be a bust. Had the 49ers not taken him, I don't think he would have been picked in the first round.

RAMbot

Reaction score
RedAlice":1z799re1 said:
Welcom RAMbot! As you can see, there are some Rams fans around here who enjoy discussing the Rams with other NFCW fans including the Niners and Cards.

It's always good to see new Rams fans join, but I don't understand why you would start off with Hawk insults when you are in a Hawk forum discussing the team and the players. You can do as you like of course, but I think you might find it more enjoyable to discuss the teams and players without doing so. There are some great fans of several teams around here that make the season more fun.

Meh... some homeristic views make me laugh and usually shrugged off as nonsense or a laugh but did decide to post today in regards to unfactual views which numbers don't lie. Don't worry I get heat on Rams forums as well for not drinking the kool aid constantly. Actually the Hawks used to be my second team and went to a lot of games with family before they came over to the NFCW and started being King of the Hill for a bit! lol

I'm sure your excited as much as me we aren't going to have a pick 6/fumble 6 factory at QB to be throwing away close games anymore!

RAMbot

Reaction score
BlueShoe":1hkt8d7a said:
kearly":1hkt8d7a said:
Snead and Baalke love drafting big name / hyped prospects. At least so far, that seems to be continuing.

I have mixed feelings about Gurley as a Ram. On the one hand, he's probably not going to play much if at all next season, and even if he did his OL is awful. But in the long term, he's got some DeMarco Murray to his game and I could see him wearing out our D by the 4th quarter.

Having Gurley in the division isn't great news, but at least Rams games just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

I think the Rams drafting Gurley was a great move, but I am with you on the Armstead pick. That one made no sense, even with mostly everyone mocking it that way. In my mind, Armstead is at high risk to be a bust. Had the 49ers not taken him, I don't think he would have been picked in the first round.
I agree totally! Was completely shocked they took Armstead as well... I really think the Whiners are soon to be a dumpster fire come 1-2 years from now.

BlueShoe

Reaction score
RAMbot":1oz11520 said:
BlueShoe":1oz11520 said:
kearly":1oz11520 said:

I agree totally! Was completely shocked they took Armstead as well... I really think the Whiners are soon to be a dumpster fire come 1-2 years from now.

Especially in the NFC West. Your division is better than any division I have seen in my 30 plus years of watching football. It is pretty sad when the Cardinals go 11-5 and don't even make the playoffs, yet can beat just about any team in the playoffs. They dusted off my Colts a few years back. They beat us until they were tired and bored with us.

HansGruber

Reaction score
RAMbot":8hzhhazx said:
HansGruber":8hzhhazx said:
RAMbot":8hzhhazx said:
getnasty":8hzhhazx said:

I'm pretty sure it's obvious the two winning percentages were NFL winning percentages. Is Pete Carroll really that higher than Fisher? Really?
Seriously DB's were in high demand specifically because of Caroll? LMFAO Talk about being a homer... so why were WR's in high demand? Pete Carroll?
Let me go out on a limb here and guess that you think the least amount of QB's drafted in the modern era in 2015 was because of who........? Pete Carroll?
Wow your right.... he is a genius, he affects the whole draft and the whole NFL. NFL HOF for sure! GG
Yeah, next you're going to argue that Tom Brady and Sam Bradford aren't all that different, and using some cherry picked stat (that only looks similar because you don't know how to interpret it) to argue your point.

GTFO.

You're either trolling or you're high. Either way, that stupid argument isn't even worth discussing further. You shouldn't even be talking about football. You make rams fans look like morons.

BlueShoe

Reaction score
HansGruber":3h5x7mcn said:
RAMbot":3h5x7mcn said:
Yeah, next you're going to argue that Tom Brady and Sam Bradford aren't all that different, and using some cherry picked stat (that only looks similar because you don't know how to interpret it) to argue your point.

GTFO.

You're either trolling or you're high. Either way, that stupid argument isn't even worth discussing further. You shouldn't even be talking about football. You make rams fans look like morons.

As an outsider who really has no dog in this fight, I will chime in.

Pete Carroll has won a Super Bowl so that obviously puts him above Fisher. However, I do believe Fisher is an outstanding coach. He was actually my first choice when we cleaned house in Indy. I have always had a lot of respect for Fisher.

HansGruber

Reaction score
BlueShoe":2w0n5ht8 said:
HansGruber":2w0n5ht8 said:
RAMbot":2w0n5ht8 said:

GTFO.

Pete Carroll has won a Super Bowl so that obviously puts him above Fisher. However, I do believe Fisher is an outstanding coach. He was actually my first choice when we cleaned house in Indy. I have always had a lot of respect for Fisher.
Yeah, he's fantastic if you like watching teams loaded with talent get mediocre (at best) results.

And it's not just the superbowl championship, and back to back appearances, that puts Carroll above Fisher. It's the way he built USC, from a joke into one of the most dominant college teams of all time, from scratch. Then, coming to Seattle and taking a horrible team to multiple superbowls, also from scratch. Fisher has never had anywhere near that kind of success.

Frankly,I don't even have to say anything. Carroll will be a first ballot HOFer when he retires, while Fisher won't even find another job once the rams move to LA and fire him. The dude was literally hired to alienate the fanbase. It's so obvious that it's hilarious that anyone would compare him to a perpetual winner. Just crazy. I've never seen a coach get more undeserved praise than Fisher.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2cxlofwq said:
While I agree with your actual point at hand.. that West Coast teams struggle in 1 ET road kickoffs .. that NFC Championship game kicked off at Noon PT, just like this years NFCCG against Green Bay.

I mean who knows, maybe even the Noon kickoff messes with players body clocks.. however for a championship game.. I'd be more inclined to believe that a team could come out too juiced up for that, as opposed to being flat at the start.

In the case of the NFCCG, the Niners snapped out of it by the start of the 2nd quarter.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
BlueShoe":1a1x135k said:
kearly":1a1x135k said:

I thought Gurley was a great pic for the Rams.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
BlueShoe":3ufhh2ex said:

Fisher is one of the better in game decision-makers. He's also a stellar ST coach, and he's used high draft picks to build an elite defensive line successfully.

When he had Steve McNair, the Titans seemed to bounce between 8 and 13 win seasons. Which is kind of weird. Without McNair, he has mostly bounced between 2 and 7 win seasons. Which is awful.

A team with a great defensive line and good special teams is capable of winning any given Sunday, but finding the right environment for a QB has always eluded Fisher. Even when he had all that success with McNair, it didn't last long before injuries got McNair shipped out of town. Now history has repeated itself with Sam Bradford.

Pete Carroll is much like Fisher. Both played defensive back and went on to be defensive backs coaches. Ironically, Fisher played DB for USC, Carroll did not. Both stress the value of special teams and defense. But the major difference is that Carroll learned under guys like Parcells and Bill Walsh the value of making a QBs life easier. That's why Russell Wilson can hit the ground running in the NFL and the Rams can plug as many prospects as they want and always struggle.

Fisher IS a major pain in the ass in the division, so I wouldn't say he's a bad coach. If he can get an offensive line for Foles and Gurley, he might have finally found something. But as of today, I would say his overall NFL resume has been fairly mediocre. If it had been better, we might not be talking about the possibility of the LA Rams.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":b8d5bubb said:
Popeyejones":b8d5bubb said:
kearly":b8d5bubb said:
I guess I should probably also point out that Mason's career YPC against Seattle is only 3.9.

TBF though 3.9 YPC really is actually a GOOD number against a defense that averaged giving up 3.4 YPC across the year.

It's well documented that Pacific Time Zone teams play much worse defensively in the first half of 10am road games. In Mason's case, his 4.7 YPC outing happened in a 10am start, and 70% of his yards came in the first half.

When he visited Seattle later in the year, he averaged only 2.5 YPC.

Unfortunately, Seattle seemingly always goes to St. Louis at 10am unless it's primetime, including this year. But other than the 10am advantage, he's been a totally average back against Seattle so far.

Don't forget the time spent working in Minnesota under Bud Grant, with Tarkenton there and at a time when they were trying to say he was not a NFL type QB Pete seen first hand the mold get changed and what being outside the box as far as your QB is about.

BlueShoe

Reaction score
HansGruber":10p2kreo said:
BlueShoe":10p2kreo said:
HansGruber":10p2kreo said:
RAMbot":10p2kreo said:

GTFO.

Yeah, he's fantastic if you like watching teams loaded with talent get mediocre (at best) results.

And it's not just the superbowl championship, and back to back appearances, that puts Carroll above Fisher. It's the way he built USC, from a joke into one of the most dominant college teams of all time, from scratch. Then, coming to Seattle and taking a horrible team to multiple superbowls, also from scratch. Fisher has never had anywhere near that kind of success.

Frankly,I don't even have to say anything. Carroll will be a first ballot HOFer when he retires, while Fisher won't even find another job once the rams move to LA and fire him. The dude was literally hired to alienate the fanbase. It's so obvious that it's hilarious that anyone would compare him to a perpetual winner. Just crazy. I've never seen a coach get more undeserved praise than Fisher.

I don't believe the book is yet written on which coach will end up in the hall of fame. It is possible that both could, and its also possible that both won't. It's too early to tell at this point. We faced Fisher twice a year, for many years. and he is an outstanding coach. Often times I thought he was put in bad situations by the Titans ownership.

Jeff Fisher has been a head coach for 20 years, and he is 57 years old, so who knows how much longer he will want to keep chasing the dream. The dude has been a head coach in 310 games, and it is hard to last that long in this league.

I like him as a head coach, and he was my first choice for the Colts to bring in after we cleaned house. After all of those years watching my Colts play against him; he earned my respect.

I am not slighting Carroll in any way, but I do believe that Fisher can get it done if he has the right pieces.

BlueShoe

Reaction score
kearly":1ukbansg said:
BlueShoe":1ukbansg said:

Fisher is one of the better in game decision-makers. He's also a stellar ST coach, and he's used high draft picks to build an elite defensive line successfully.

When he had Steve McNair, the Titans seemed to bounce between 8 and 13 win seasons. Which is kind of weird. Without McNair, he has mostly bounced between 2 and 7 win seasons. Which is awful.

A team with a great defensive line and good special teams is capable of winning any given Sunday, but finding the right environment for a QB has always eluded Fisher. Even when he had all that success with McNair, it didn't last long before injuries got McNair shipped out of town. Now history has repeated itself with Sam Bradford.

Pete Carroll is much like Fisher. Both played defensive back and went on to be defensive backs coaches. Ironically, Fisher played DB for USC, Carroll did not. Both stress the value of special teams and defense. But the major difference is that Carroll learned under guys like Parcells and Bill Walsh the value of making a QBs life easier. That's why Russell Wilson can hit the ground running in the NFL and the Rams can plug as many prospects as they want and always struggle.

Fisher IS a major pain in the ass in the division, so I wouldn't say he's a bad coach. If he can get an offensive line for Foles and Gurley, he might have finally found something. But as of today, I would say his overall NFL resume has been fairly mediocre. If it had been better, we might not be talking about the possibility of the LA Rams.

I agree with a lot of what you have said. We played against him, in the same division, for 10 years. I would rank him up among the best at making an in game decision. You're right though, Fisher has never enjoyed long-term success with a franchise quarterback. He was close a few years with McNair, and actually only came up a yard short.

Latest posts