Really? O Line and Wilson per Bevell.

Tical21

Reaction score
Bevell is absolutely right. Gonna get Russell killed, but he's right.

RiverDog

Reaction score
rcaido":3t9ls3ic said:
[Wilson isn't elite? Can you name 5 other QB you would rather have then him?

Wilson has the most comeback wins since he came to the league. WE all know his first three year stat. I think the Bengals was the first time i've seen him not able to come through or come close to at least making a game winning drive. Kid is clutch

This whole trust thing is mumbo jumbo, Wilson has good instinct as QB. He knows when to break down & scramble, the problem for him & my only criticism is he would rather throw the ball then run.

Did you watch the Rams game this year? How about the Super Bowl?

Going back to the SB, we have lost 4th quarter leads in 4 of our last 6 games, each one of those turning out to be a loss, and that's not considering the Lions game that had it been called by the book, in all likelihood would have made it 5 out of 6. Where has the clutch Russell Wilson been in those games? Or does coming close count?

rcaido

Reaction score
RiverDog":4b3zkg55 said:
rcaido":4b3zkg55 said:
[Wilson isn't elite? Can you name 5 other QB you would rather have then him?

Wilson has the most comeback wins since he came to the league. WE all know his first three year stat. I think the Bengals was the first time i've seen him not able to come through or come close to at least making a game winning drive. Kid is clutch

This whole trust thing is mumbo jumbo, Wilson has good instinct as QB. He knows when to break down & scramble, the problem for him & my only criticism is he would rather throw the ball then run.

Did you watch the Rams game this year? How about the Super Bowl?

Going back to the SB, we have lost 4th quarter leads in 4 of our last 6 games, each one of those turning out to be a loss, and that's not considering the Lions game that had it been called by the book, in all likelihood would have made it 5 out of 6. Where has the clutch Russell Wilson been in those games? Or does coming close count?

Wilson has 42w - 17L 15 of those are game winning drives yeah i would say he is clutch. The last couple of games not so good but like i said Bengals was the only game i saw him not give his team a chance to win.

4 out 6?
You cant fault him in the Rams game he got them the lead but Bailey slipped & Lynch couldn't get 1yrd. Why would you include Packers & Lions in this convo?

So pretty much just the Patriots & Bengals game...Even these games i would say he did enough to win the game.

RiverDog

Reaction score
rcaido":1ofop666 said:
Wilson has 42w - 17L 15 of those are game winning drives yeah i would say he is clutch. The last couple of games not so good but like i said Bengals was the only game i saw him not give his team a chance to win.

4 out 6?
You cant fault him in the Rams game he got them the lead but Bailey slipped & Lynch couldn't get 1yrd. Why would you include Packers & Lions in this convo?

So pretty much just the Patriots & Bengals game...Even these games i would say he did enough to win the game.

Over the past 3 years, yea, Russell's been clutch, won a lot of big games for us. But that wasn't the point. The point is what has he done for us lately, or more specifically, the past 6 games?

The reason I included the Lions is that Russell committed a turnover in the 4th quarter that was returned for a touchdown putting the Lions back in the game then could not sustain a 4th quarter drive to put them away. We scored just 13 points at home against a still winless team that the Cards rang up 42 against just week later. That was a terrible performance by everyone on the offensive side of the ball, including the QB.

In both the Packers and Rams games Russell had opportunities to win games with 4th quarter drives but for whatever reason, he didn't, which is why I noted that 5 out of the last 6 he's failed to come through in the clutch.

In the past 5 contested games, of which we have lost 4, Russell's performances have not been what we have come to expect from him. He's played way better football than he's shown us here recently. You're kidding yourself if you think that Russell's uncharacteristic play is not one of the major factors in our current predicament.

rcaido

Reaction score
RiverDog":177jik8h said:
rcaido":177jik8h said:

4 out 6?

Over the past 3 years, yea, Russell's been clutch, won a lot of big games for us. But that wasn't the point. The point is what has he done for us lately, or more specifically, the past 6 games?

The reason I included the Lions is that Russell committed a turnover in the 4th quarter that was returned for a touchdown putting the Lions back in the game then could not sustain a 4th quarter drive to put them away. We scored just 13 points at home against a still winless team that the Cards rang up 42 against just week later. That was a terrible performance by everyone on the offensive side of the ball, including the QB.

In both the Packers and Rams games Russell had opportunities to win games with 4th quarter drives but for whatever reason, he didn't, which is why I noted that 5 out of the last 6 he's failed to come through in the clutch.

The past 5 contested games, in which we have lost 4, is not the type of performances that we have come to expect from Russell. He's played way better football than he's shown us here recently.

Yeah this what have you done for me lately is disgusting & shameful IMO but what can you do. As i mention, during the Rams game he gave us the lead. How can you blame him for this lost?

Wilson has some improvements and adjustments he still has to handle but he isn't the problem. Luckily our schedule isn't to terribly difficult to do what they did last year. By then, all this nonsense talk will be gone.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Actually it's time for nice guy Wilson to step back and leader Wilson step up in the huddle, he needs to get on these lineman and tell them to get their act together, he doesn't have to grab their facemask and shit but hold them accountable and get them to elevate their game.

He has had the celebrity status without the check, now he has the check and needs to take on the role as THE GUY, that means sometimes not being popular but being a leader that pushes you as well as leads by example.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
People have always recognized his weaknesses across the NFL, if not here.

The majority of fans on this site pushed it aside when we are winning, and for good reason. If it isnt affecting the bottom line, no problem.

Well, his play has contributed to some early season losses. So the weaknesses again become front and center.

Imagine this if you will:

We lose to Green Bay last year. Probably should have, all things considered, yes? What do you think the topic of conversation would have been all off-season? Wilson's PUTRID performance for 98% of that game. Better believe it.

The only reason it wasnt was because of our miraculous comeback.

Also, do you think Russell's demands for elite QB money combined with his lack of growth as a QB since making those ridiculous commands weigh on our minds a bit?

Yep. We are now committed to this guy. He HAS to be elite now. Fans are worried, and justifiably so.[/quote]

Russell is elite. The only thing im worried about is his health throughout the season. He is not the reason why we loss those games, we can easily be 5-0. Why no one judging Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, & im sure Kam situation had something to do with the first two losses. Our constant costly penalties. Our swiss cheese O-line & finally our predictable OC.

Russell is special & im fortunate to have such a player i can root for then against.[/quote]

Never claimed that he was THE reason we have lost the games that we have, just that he has contributed to them. Others have has well, no question.

Respectfully disagree that he is elite. I hope that he learns and grows from his weaknesses and becomes elite though. With the salary he will be earning, he's going to have to be if we want to continue being a force in the NFC.[/quote]

Wilson isn't elite? Can you name 5 other QB you would rather have then him?

This whole trust thing is mumbo jumbo, Wilson has good instinct as QB. He knows when to break down & scramble, the problem for him & my only criticism is he would rather throw the ball then run.[/quote]

Yes I can.

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Dalton, Luck, Ryan.....just to name a few.

I think Wilson is fringe top 10 but not elite, sorry. I consider elite to be top 3-5. Russ isnt there. Yet.

rcaido

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1efi8m2x said:

The majority of fans on this site pushed it aside when we are winning, and for good reason. If it isnt affecting the bottom line, no problem.

Well, his play has contributed to some early season losses. So the weaknesses again become front and center.

We lose to Green Bay last year. Probably should have, all things considered, yes? What do you think the topic of conversation would have been all off-season? Wilson's PUTRID performance for 98% of that game. Better believe it.

Also, do you think Russell's demands for elite QB money combined with his lack of growth as a QB since making those ridiculous commands weigh on our minds a bit?

Yep. We are now committed to this guy. He HAS to be elite now. Fans are worried, and justifiably so.

Russell is elite. The only thing im worried about is his health throughout the season. He is not the reason why we loss those games, we can easily be 5-0. Why no one judging Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, & im sure Kam situation had something to do with the first two losses. Our constant costly penalties. Our swiss cheese O-line & finally our predictable OC.

Russell is special & im fortunate to have such a player i can root for then against.[/quote]

Never claimed that he was THE reason we have lost the games that we have, just that he has contributed to them. Others have has well, no question.

Respectfully disagree that he is elite. I hope that he learns and grows from his weaknesses and becomes elite though. With the salary he will be earning, he's going to have to be if we want to continue being a force in the NFC.[/quote]

This whole trust thing is mumbo jumbo, Wilson has good instinct as QB. He knows when to break down & scramble, the problem for him & my only criticism is he would rather throw the ball then run.[/quote]

Yes I can.

I think Wilson is fringe top 10 but not elite, sorry. I consider elite to be top 3-5. Russ isnt there. Yet.[/quote]

I think you're the only person who share that opinion in this board, congrats.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
rcaido":2f3cllll said:
Hawkpower":2f3cllll said:

Yep. We are now committed to this guy. He HAS to be elite now. Fans are worried, and justifiably so.

Russell is special & im fortunate to have such a player i can root for then against.

Yes I can.

I think Wilson is fringe top 10 but not elite, sorry. I consider elite to be top 3-5. Russ isnt there. Yet.[/quote]

I think you're the only person who share that opinion in this board, congrats.[/quote]

Only person that shares what opinion? That he is fringe top 10, but not elite?

Cmon, you don't really believe that, do you? :lol:

Read through a couple threads here and then get back with me 8)

mrt144

Reaction score
I think he's fringe top 10 as a passer, but thats why I'm not as critical of him and put the onus on the coaching staff to help him out more

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":35ule205 said:
rcaido":35ule205 said:
I always thought Wilson was the best QB for this team & i wouldn't trade him for any QB. After barely losing our last SB, it seems the fans have gone to what have you done for me lately or maybe its just this site. We are the greatest winners but the worse losers.

I'll see you guys in the Wilson bandwagon when the Seahawks win the division going 12-4.

This is a short sighted and ridiculous post, with SO many unrealistic, and unsubstantiated holes :pukeface:
The biggest joke on display here, is all the pissing and moaning about Russell Wilson FINALLY getting paid some decent money.
Some of Y'all are acting all indignant, and like the money he's getting, is coming right out of your pocket :roll:
The O-line is FAR from playing even mediocre football right now.
Instantaneous break downs in the O-line protection, have been far too damned frequent for Russell Wilson to TRUST that he won't get hammered (like he all to often has been in the first few games), and it's THOSE kinds of inconsistencies that throws a wrench in his development.
It's like trying to polish a turd with shoe brush.
IF Lynch can come back healthy, THAT will help to get back to what the Seahawks have been doing for the last three Years.
BUT, in order for Russell Wilson to DEVELOP (Post Lynch) as we all know he can, this O-line is going to have to simultaneously step up with their development.
Wilson isn't a one man gang, THAT's why they have 10 other players in there.
I also trust that RW has the work ethics, moxie and skills to "Get It", I don't have the same trust that some of his fans do "Get It"

RiverDog

Reaction score
rcaido":2ufx4lfk said:
Yeah this what have you done for me lately is disgusting & shameful IMO but what can you do. As i mention, during the Rams game he gave us the lead. How can you blame him for this lost?

Wilson has some improvements and adjustments he still has to handle but he isn't the problem. Luckily our schedule isn't to terribly difficult to do what they did last year. By then, all this nonsense talk will be gone.

Don't get me wrong. Russell has shaken my confidence in him but I have not given up on him. I've seen what he is capable of and I'm very appreciative of the 3 years of superb play, including our only Lombardi But he can do better. Lots better.

The "what have you done for me lately" isn't disgusting. It's life. Seldom can you survive in almost any field by simply resting on past laurels. Like every other working stiff, Russell has to go out and prove himself on every Sunday, and if he doesn't, he'll eventually get discarded along with yesterday's newspaper.

This year is going to be a lot more of a challenge than last year when we found ourselves in a similar predicament. Last year, we opened the season by pounding a very good team in the Packers, won a clutch game in overtime against the then defending AFC champs, and won a solidly played game on the road against the Redskins. None of the games we've won this season have come against anywhere near the quality of opponents we beat in our first 6 games last year. Something is different about this team.

After we endured what had to be one of if not the most difficult SB loss in history, I said that getting the team re-focused would be almost as big of a challenge for Pete than was rebuilding this team in the first place, and I still stand by that statement. This team is going through a Super Bowl hangover, and we have lost that killer instinct that made us great. We can't finish games and put teams away. There is a sense of entitlement about this team that is dragging us down.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3ik00hq9 said:
Only person that shares what opinion? That he is fringe top 10, but not elite?

Cmon, you don't really believe that, do you? :lol:

Read through a couple threads here and then get back with me 8)

You're trying to be clever?, well, here's a clue for ya, it's not working.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
scutterhawk":39cijjjr said:
Hawkpower":39cijjjr said:
rcaido":39cijjjr said:
I always thought Wilson was the best QB for this team & i wouldn't trade him for any QB. After barely losing our last SB, it seems the fans have gone to what have you done for me lately or maybe its just this site. We are the greatest winners but the worse losers.

I'll see you guys in the Wilson bandwagon when the Seahawks win the division going 12-4.

This is a short sighted and ridiculous post, with SO many unrealistic, and unsubstantiated holes :pukeface:
The biggest joke on display here, is all the pissing and moaning about Russell Wilson FINALLY getting paid some decent money.
Some of Y'all are acting all indignant, and like the money he's getting, is coming right out of your pocket :roll:
The O-line is FAR from playing even mediocre football right now.
Instantaneous break downs in the O-line protection, have been far too damned frequent for Russell Wilson to TRUST that he won't get hammered (like he all to often has been in the first few games), and it's THOSE kinds of inconsistencies that throws a wrench in his development.
It's like trying to polish a turd with shoe brush.
IF Lynch can come back healthy, THAT will help to get back to what the Seahawks have been doing for the last three Years.
BUT, in order for Russell Wilson to DEVELOP (Post Lynch) as we all know he can, this O-line is going to have to simultaneously step up with their development.
Wilson isn't a one man gang, THAT's why they have 10 other players in there.
I also trust that RW has the work ethics, moxie and skills to "Get It", I don't have the same trust that some of his fans do "Get It"

Well thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I respectfully disagree that the o-line is the only thing causing Wilson to play poorly at times. The video evidence shows otherwise, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

My point about Wilson needing to be elite moving forward is far from unrealistic and full of....what did you call them....unsubstantiated holes? Lol.

Its true. When you pay your QB elite money, he better perform at an elite level or your team is in trouble. You think Wilson is being held back by others. I see a middle ground where both he and the o-line need to play better.

But as I respectfully stated, we are certainly each entitled to our own thoughts.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Archie Manning was at one time the Best QB in the NFL by accomplishments, he went to the Saints, the rest is history, he had a notorious bad offense around him the majority of his career, his line was atrocious, it is also the reason he supported and lobbied for his sons to land on winners to start their careers. A QB is only as good as his supporting cast, a Elite QB can elevate a team and a players game, but they need that ability to start with to elevate. If his line is slow footed, reacts slow, or can't make reads he isn't going to be able to offset that by staying in the pocket.

Also a good team wins with a top 10 defense, it doesn't have to be number one, we have that, but your offense needs to be middle of the pack or better especially in the red zone and in scoring to support that defense, if not it's a matter of time before your strengths are taken away. Then your left with what we are seeing now.

Defense's hold the edge and blitz now, Wilson can't roll out and doesn't have time in most cases to find third targets, running game is hot and cold, we need a lead to protect to play down hill on defense, our rushing yards in the 4th quarter don't matter if we don't have touchdown leads to support our defense and put pressure on the opposition, Bengals game aside and it's collapse.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
chris98251":3sr6fxlz said:
Bevell: Russell Wilson has to “continually trust” offensive linemen

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-has-to-continually-trust-offensive-linemen/

This is why we can't have nice things on offense, trust is earned, you just don't give it freely especially when it's your body getting slammed to the turf by 300 pound men.

When your sacked or unable to throw 39 percent of the time that's a pretty good reason to say I don't trust them.

I thought somebody may have taken the statement out of context, but that's not the case. Bevell needs to smell the friggin coffee. You can argue both ways on Russ holding the ball too long, but at least that's a valid argument with good points made both ways. From what I've seen, he rarely 'bails early,' which is saying something considering this awful OL. If 'lack of continual trust' is scrambling when you see 2-3 defenders bearing down on you, I'll take that any day. My bet is that most of his movement comes from escaping a sure sack or extending a play while gaining better vision. The Seahawks would set a nearly-unbreakable sacks allow record if Russ showed Bevell's interpretation of 'continual trust.' Please wake up and jettison is guy, Pete.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Bevell isn't wrong, but he is nuts. Wilson does need to use the pocket better. But with 3 of his 5 up front new or in new spots, Wilson is understandably jumpy. He has zero reason to trust his line. It is the worst pass blocking unit in the league.

The only thing Wilson can trust is a short clock, then go. Get the hell out. It is a mistake sometimes, but one of these times if he doesn't some free rusher is going to end his season.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":3dm9dtn3 said:
These are his statements, did you read the article ?

He made the thread I just posted the link, 39 percent of the time he gets nailed or is unable to make a throw due to the line.

If you were in the circus and were the model that the knife throwing guy was throwing knives around and he was only 60 percent accurate how would you feel? What would your trust level be? Or the guys that catch on the Trapeze, if he missed 40 percent of the time? Then have a guy like Bevell come up and say trust them, eventually they will get better.

Granted these are extreme, but to show that your asking someone to put their livelihood in the hands of those that have proven themselves incapable at this juncture of doing their job is asking a lot. If Wilson were to get injured what would Bevell say? He should have ran instead of trusting them or recognized the breakdown?

Again blame the player instead of his scheme or adaption to create passing lanes or hot reads given the circumstances.

Being unbiased the statements seem stupid based on what we've seen over the course of some three years.

I also agree with everything you've said and find it odd that people are defending his silly comments.

The guy makes little stabbing comments like this a lot and it's confusing to me why he still has a job.

He's clearly not intelligent enough to be an offensive coordinator, or he has like a really really weird perspective on things.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I could be wrong but we have stopped really using the read option. At least in as much as there is no threat of Wilson running. Green Bay dared us to use it and we reluctantly did. Against Cincinnati we ran a "read" and the Bengals crashed the RB. Ran the same play, next play and Wilson kept it but still looked like he really didn't want to.

It's been speculated here that this is because of our center's poor snapping. Even if true, we still run a lot of shotgun and he needs to be practicing. Long snapping is like free throws, takes practice. Just the threat of the read option has taken pressure off of Wilson since his rookie year. Playing offense like we are now is going to get him hurt faster than option plays.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I'd disagree that we've completely stopped using the run option. It's still a part of the gameplan. But as an offense, my take is that we're trying to add another dimension, and that being Russell in the pocket. He's had a few nice touchdowns already this year from him staying in the pocket and hitting on plays over the middle. Optimally, that would be the future as it would allow him to maintain his health better. But of course we need solid line play and considering that's where we skimp to get under the salary cap, it's a catch-22.
My guess for today (Carolina) is that there's more read-option and handoffs to the Beast and Rawls. Russell will also run for more yards than Cam.

Latest posts