Really? O Line and Wilson per Bevell.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Exittium":m39p8zkv said:
Wow.. Someone needs to do a weekly comic strip in the papers of the stupid shit bevell says. Its flat our comically ignorant
I would but the limit of my artistic ability is drawing stick figures. 8)

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Another attempt to pass any blame on Wilson to Bevell. :roll:

The coaching staff has done an awesome job of supporting their players to the media. That especially includes Wilson. Compared to other coaches around the league, Bevell and Carroll are very careful not to point out all the areas of their QB's game that can improve.

The first real critique I can even remember said to the media about Wilson was last year, his 3rd year in the league, and even that was barely more than encouragement. (Trusting himself. Trusting his receiver). For some reason, though, people think Russell should be untouchable. Simply pointing out Russell can improve is blasphemy from some lol.

The good news is that Russell is improving from last year on his pocket presence and he's making some great throws as a result (TD throw to Graham over the middle. TD throw to Kearse against the Bengals). That's because guys like Bevell and Carl Smith are pushing him to do the things he needs work on: Trust in his offensive line. Trust in his receivers. Trust in himself.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
HawkFan72":6nks4wcs said:
Fine. Make Wilson sit in the pocket, trust his O-line, and let's see how it works out.

I think we may be in the hunt for a new QB after the game once Wilson is pronounced dead, but at least we can put an end to this thought that the O-line is anywhere close to capable.

You can't hit a QB that has thrown the dang ball. Hence, he will be fine.

Russell's dancing around and refusal to throw is setting the offensive line up for failure.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1ylrh81p said:
I must be the only one that kind of agrees with Bevell. Wilson likes to scramble and leave the pocket too early. The line is young, yes. But when Wilson scrambles to one side, he doesn't see one of his WR's open on the side his back is facing.

The amount of sacks Wilson has accrued is due to the line being young and gaining chemistry. The more chemistry and experience the line has they will learn to become better blockers and have more endurance to protect Wilson.

In my opinion, Wilson's scrambling creates pressure on the line to block the direction he is going, and that creates a mis-match for the opposing d-line because the line doesn't know where Wilson is going, they are blocking him, but the defensive linemen know where he's going and can expose the young line with the pressuring.

I agree with him as well

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
aawolf":1bnq628y said:
Hasselbeck":1bnq628y said:
chris98251":1bnq628y said:
Bevell: Russell Wilson has to “continually trust” offensive linemen

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-has-to-continually-trust-offensive-linemen/

This is why we can't have nice things on offense, trust is earned, you just don't give it freely especially when it's your body getting slammed to the turf by 300 pound men.

When your sacked or unable to throw 39 percent of the time that's a pretty good reason to say I don't trust them.

I think Bevell is a clown but he's right, Russell bails on a clean pocket a lot of times at the smallest hint of pressure.

That in itself is alarming though, I think most of it comes as a result of taking a ton of hits already in his career. This is what happened to the likes of Tim Couch, David Carr and most recently RG3.

Case in point though, if Russell steps into the pocket on this.. game over, we win.

rxbzjq9.gif

Umm, looks to me like Wilson narrowly avoided two sacks on that play and got the ball out. Given, he didn't see Baldwin wide open, but if he leads Locket a little more on that throw, its a TD. He under threw that ball amid a big hit.

If Russell stays focused downfield and climbs the pocket up and to his right he has a plethora of options, not the least of which is a wide-ass open Angry Doug Baldwin straight in front of him.

This is quintessential poor execution by our QB and is just as much to blame for the Cincy loss as anything else. A first down pass here to Baldwin (granted, would have needed some YAC) was the play here.

Not taking what the defense gives him.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Doesn't it seem in the ubiquitous ^ gif ^ that Wilson attempts to step up, sees Britt getting beat, then bails? Anyone else notice that?

Not saying I disagree with the need for improvement from Wilson. Just saying that the frequency with which #68 has been beat from the get go likely led to Wilson thinking "oh scheisse" on that particular play.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawkpower":39oqqk3x said:
HawkFan72":39oqqk3x said:
Fine. Make Wilson sit in the pocket, trust his O-line, and let's see how it works out.

I think we may be in the hunt for a new QB after the game once Wilson is pronounced dead, but at least we can put an end to this thought that the O-line is anywhere close to capable.

Russell's dancing around and refusal to throw is setting the offensive line up for failure.

On what % of plays. Do we need to post just Britt gifs?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
mrt144":2hxj9upr said:
Hawkpower":2hxj9upr said:
HawkFan72":2hxj9upr said:

On what % of plays. Do we need to post just Britt gifs?

Feel free.

Don't think anyone who is critical of Russ pretends that our o-line is pro-bowl caliber.

All the more reason Russ needs to be better. Wilson's weaknesses combined with a subpar o-line is a horrid combo.

Just pointing out that if we had a QB who got the ball out, we wouldnt notice Britt nearly as much.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":34k1wvm9 said:
Doesn't it seem in the ubiquitous ^ gif ^ that Wilson attempts to step up, sees Britt getting beat, then bails? Anyone else notice that?

Not saying I disagree with the need for improvement from Wilson. Just saying that the frequency with which #68 has been beat from the get go likely led to Wilson thinking "oh scheisse" on that particular play.

By the time Britt's guy gets past him, Wilson has already had the ball scrambling around wildly for far too long, all the while missing at least 2-3 wide open receivers he didnt throw the ball too.

Thats the point. Had Wilson made the choice to throw it any one of the wide open receivers open on that play, the lineman grappling with Britt would inconsequential.

rideaducati

Reaction score
HawkFan72":226jema1 said:

Russell doesn't need to "sit" in the pocket. He has the accuracy, arm strength, and decision making ability to get rid of the ball before the pass rush could get to him. Bevell isn't doing him any favors with his personnel choices, but those guys are good enough to at least try to get the ball to...except for Kearse.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Russell, park your car in oncoming traffic and trust the steel frame around you to protect you.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":24pj51tx said:
scutterhawk":24pj51tx said:
rideaducati":24pj51tx said:
scutterhawk":24pj51tx said:
I don't agree for one very legitimate reason.
It takes a certain amount of time for Bevell's routes to develop, and some of his play calls are maybe designed for some quick passes, but because of an all too often break down in pocket protection, Wilson is paying the price by either being immediately pressured, or hammered within one and a half seconds.
Pretty easy to say that all he has to do is step up into the pocket, but there's been a LOT of times, that that "Pocket" has been nonexistent, so what do some of Y'all expect Wilson to do.
Keeping in mind, that RW is being pressured, hit, and sacked more that any other Quarterback in the League, and he's suppose to "Trust"?, yeah, okay, it isn't Tom Cable's nor Darryl Bevell's asses being drilled into the ground.
You keep making the O-Line your least of priorities, along with no Marshawn Lynch to help Wilson?, you need your high octane, high dollar Defen$e to make up for your suspect O-Line.

Russell had two guys open when he does his first hop. If he trusted either receiver and anticipated with any ability, he throws a completion and isn't even close to being hit.
There is a lot of inconsistency in some of those guys getting "Open", AND, it's pretty easy to see those sporadically open Receivers, they may be open because of a route that they've broken off, and not where Russ is expecting them to be.
Easy to speculate from a birds eye camera, after a rerun on a play, but at field level, in real speed?, yeah.

I do understand all that, it's just irritating to watch Russell holding the ball, running around and taking sacks for the majority of every game and then watch him hit a switch and suddenly be able to hit his back foot on his drops and release the ball quickly and on time for completions while moving right down the field in a two minute drill. He should be doing that all game long, but instead he is looking for "something better".
I'm not saying that Russ is blameless for some of the misfires, but being fed to the starving lions too often, will make any Quarterback make some bad decisions, and just about all we can hope for, is that the O-Line start picking up the blitzes a little better ,and that Marshawn come back healthy and help take some of the pressure off of Wilson and Bevell's one dimensional play schemes,

nash72

Reaction score
This is crazy. For the people saying that Wilson needs to stay in the pocket longer, do you think we might be better off with Jackson behind center? Lets be logical. Wilson runs for his life because the line actually sucks and it sucks bad. Even the Bengal gif shows how quick the pocket collapsed. Bevell is always blaming somebody else for his shortcomings and this is no different.

rcaido

Reaction score
I always thought Wilson was the best QB for this team & i wouldn't trade him for any QB. After barely losing our last SB, it seems the fans have gone to what have you done for me lately or maybe its just this site. We are the greatest winners but the worse losers.

I'll see you guys in the Wilson bandwagon when the Seahawks win the division going 12-4.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
rcaido":2rq0djou said:
I always thought Wilson was the best QB for this team & i wouldn't trade him for any QB. After barely losing our last SB, it seems the fans have gone to what have you done for me lately or maybe its just this site. We are the greatest winners but the worse losers.

I'll see you guys in the Wilson bandwagon when the Seahawks win the division going 12-4.

People have always recognized his weaknesses across the NFL, if not here.

The majority of fans on this site pushed it aside when we are winning, and for good reason. If it isnt affecting the bottom line, no problem.

Well, his play has contributed to some early season losses. So the weaknesses again become front and center.

Imagine this if you will:

We lose to Green Bay last year. Probably should have, all things considered, yes? What do you think the topic of conversation would have been all off-season? Wilson's PUTRID performance for 98% of that game. Better believe it.

The only reason it wasnt was because of our miraculous comeback.

Also, do you think Russell's demands for elite QB money combined with his lack of growth as a QB since making those ridiculous commands weigh on our minds a bit?

Yep. We are now committed to this guy. He HAS to be elite now. Fans are worried, and justifiably so.

rcaido

Reaction score
Hawkpower":bzy220ml said:
rcaido":bzy220ml said:

The majority of fans on this site pushed it aside when we are winning, and for good reason. If it isnt affecting the bottom line, no problem.

Well, his play has contributed to some early season losses. So the weaknesses again become front and center.

We lose to Green Bay last year. Probably should have, all things considered, yes? What do you think the topic of conversation would have been all off-season? Wilson's PUTRID performance for 98% of that game. Better believe it.

Also, do you think Russell's demands for elite QB money combined with his lack of growth as a QB since making those ridiculous commands weigh on our minds a bit?

Yep. We are now committed to this guy. He HAS to be elite now. Fans are worried, and justifiably so.

Russell is elite. The only thing im worried about is his health throughout the season. He is not the reason why we loss those games, we can easily be 5-0. Why no one judging Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, & im sure Kam situation had something to do with the first two losses. Our constant costly penalties. Our swiss cheese O-line & finally our predictable OC.

Russell is special & im fortunate to have such a player i can root for then against.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
rcaido":1dgha6ss said:
Hawkpower":1dgha6ss said:
rcaido":1dgha6ss said:

Russell is elite. The only thing im worried about is his health throughout the season. He is not the reason why we loss those games, we can easily be 5-0. Why no one judging Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, & im sure Kam situation had something to do with the first two losses. Our constant costly penalties. Our swiss cheese O-line & finally our predictable OC.

Russell is special & im fortunate to have such a player i can root for then against.

Never claimed that he was THE reason we have lost the games that we have, just that he has contributed to them. Others have has well, no question.

Respectfully disagree that he is elite. I hope that he learns and grows from his weaknesses and becomes elite though. With the salary he will be earning, he's going to have to be if we want to continue being a force in the NFC.

northseahawk

Reaction score
mrt144":1d8ikbna said:
And yet he showed that poise and anticipation on the ADB TD in the Lions game. So it's not like it's completely absent.

if he does that more, there will be much more yards and points put up. But after that first half of the game, he turns back to his old habits and screws everything.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Although it didn't come out right and the timing is bad, Bevell is absolutely right. Russell does need to trust his O-Line more and not bail at the first hint of trouble. As some posters pointed out, there are a lot of occasions where he won't step up into the pocket to elude a speed rushing DE that our OT is trying to force around to the outside. He needs to start stepping up into the pocket and make plays from there, either run ahead if the field opens up or throw the ball from that position, or else DE's are going to use wider and wider angles and Russell will keep running into sacks. If he sees the DE taking an inside route, then he can break the pocket and get outside, but on too many occasions, Russell is trying to get outside the speed rush.

In Russell's defense, it is only natural for a person that has been chased right from the get go as many times as he has this season to get paranoid and start looking for which direction the rush is coming from. If Russell's first look isn't there, his next move is not to go through his progressions, it's to check his blind side, which takes time. Russell's reaction is a conditioned response to the scores of times the OL has allowed jail breaks to happen.

As painful as it may be, Russell HAS to start trusting his OL whether or not that trust is deserved. If he trusts them and he gets sacked, then so be it. But he's only making things worse by bailing early as more times than not, he's either running into sacks and/or not seeing open receivers.

rcaido

Reaction score
Hawkpower":ts3euq5q said:
rcaido":ts3euq5q said:
Hawkpower":ts3euq5q said:
rcaido":ts3euq5q said:

Never claimed that he was THE reason we have lost the games that we have, just that he has contributed to them. Others have has well, no question.

Respectfully disagree that he is elite. I hope that he learns and grows from his weaknesses and becomes elite though. With the salary he will be earning, he's going to have to be if we want to continue being a force in the NFC.

Wilson isn't elite? Can you name 5 other QB you would rather have then him?

Wilson has the most comeback wins since he came to the league. WE all know his first three year stat. I think the Bengals was the first time i've seen him not able to come through or come close to at least making a game winning drive. Kid is clutch

This whole trust thing is mumbo jumbo, Wilson has good instinct as QB. He knows when to break down & scramble, the problem for him & my only criticism is he would rather throw the ball then run.

Latest posts