Report: Hawks have inquired about LT Duane Brown

Bobblehead

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2z4y3r0z said:
Bobblehead":2z4y3r0z said:
IT's easy, Texas just lost JJ Watt.. hmmmm.. give them Sheldon.. both are 1 year deals anyway.

Sheldon is far more likely to be a centerpiece for this defense for years to come, not a piece we trade away after 5 games - of which the 5th game was his most impressive of the season.

Not gonna happen. If we had McDowell and a healthy Bennett I'd say it's in the realm of "possibly," but we likely wouldn't have Richardson at all if McDowell was healthy and had showed some promise during preseason.

Won't happen, SHeldon will probably be looking for Suh type contract and as John Clayton said, Seahawks will not make him the 2nd highest paid player on the Hawks..

I really think, the defense is good enough without him and a good LT will far exceed what Sheldon can bring to the table.. Sheez, all he's done really is recovered a fumble right?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Bobblehead":shl4jycj said:
Won't happen, SHeldon will probably be looking for Suh type contract and as John Clayton said, Seahawks will not make him the 2nd highest paid player on the Hawks..

I really think, the defense is good enough without him and a good LT will far exceed what Sheldon can bring to the table.. Sheez, all he's done really is recovered a fumble right?

Also picked that tipped screen pass, which was a fantastic play. He's been a rock against the run and has been improving as an interior pass rusher in our screen. Worth a lot to us, especially since he's really young.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
adeltaY":1uu3s4jz said:
Bobblehead":1uu3s4jz said:

Also picked that tipped screen pass, which was a fantastic play. He's been a rock against the run and has been improving as an interior pass rusher in our screen. Worth a lot to us, especially since he's really young.

I"m just saying, we have an elite defense right now, without Sheldon, we still have an elite defense, one of the best in the league in fact. A good offense with a decent OL for many a reason, will more than make up for what we would lose in Sheldon.

Lets face it, with our OL, with Sheldon on the defense, I don't see us being a real challenger to the SB, however, with a good OL and offense that can stay on the field and with a defense minus Sheldon, I think we are a SB contender.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bobblehead":35vde8dc said:
adeltaY":35vde8dc said:
Bobblehead":35vde8dc said:

I"m just saying, we have an elite defense right now, without Sheldon, we still have an elite defense, one of the best in the league in fact. A good offense with a decent OL for many a reason, will more than make up for what we would lose in Sheldon.

Lets face it, with our OL, with Sheldon on the defense, I don't see us being a real challenger to the SB, however, with a good OL and offense that can stay on the field and with a defense minus Sheldon, I think we are a SB contender.

With no Avril possibly a injured Bennett who could become week to week then give up Sheldon, I don't think we get any pressure and lose inside push and run stoppage ability as well.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I think that the Seahawk Front Office is just "putting their finger in the air" to check the wind direction to evaluate their options.

mikeak

Reaction score
As noted the key is what do you do with him long term.

One thing to get rid of Kearse and some pick for a one year rental of Sheldon. Another to trade significant for someone that either sits out this season or next.

He needs to come with an agreed upon four year deal. Then you can assume two years playing minimum and it is worth it

Meeker

Reaction score
Pie Romania":2y1giips said:
hawkfan68":2y1giips said:
nategreat":2y1giips said:
Even if we got him, I have a feeling his career would turn to ship here in Seattle, under Tom Cable and his worthless schemes.

This is a good point. Does Duane Brown have experience playing in ZBS? Just because he's an all-pro doesn't mean much. That didn't help Jahri Evans. Is he a fit for the system that Cable runs is the important factor.

Absolutely. He's spent most (if not all) of his career in a zone blocking scheme.

Yeah, he spent his first 2 years under Alex Gibbs "godfather of the zone blocking scheme" who was supposed to take over our offensive line before he suddenly retired before Pete's first season...then we got stuck with Cable :cry: If only...

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
No way they trade Jimmy. No way in hell.

It will have to be Lane and draft capital.

original poster

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2b9a2w6k said:

It will have to be Lane and draft capital.

That's exactly what it'll be IMO.

Lane and a 3rd, maybe a 6th as well.

original poster

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":33atvzi0 said:
Don't Lane and Burley play the same position?

Burley is strictly a slot guy IIRC, Lane can play all over.

Not 100% of Burley being slot, but I'm fairly sure he is.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2hes78s4 said:

Graham wont be here next year anyways with that contract so it makes perfect sense. Nobody wants Lane.

A-Dog

Reaction score
They can turn some salaries in to bonuses to free up space - guys like Earl and KJ would be candidates for that, and we could do the same for Brown. We'd save a few million by trading Lane as well (I think). Also, we'd only have to pay for 10-11 games of Brown, not his full salary.

I think we can get it done without trading Graham or Richardson. If we expect to be contenders this year we need to keep both of those guys. Adding Brown (and moving Odhiambo over to LG to replace Joeckel while he recovers) could be a big boost to the OL. If we can get him signed our window opens wider for the next couple years, and also give Fant time to gain some technique and experience (as well as regain full health). Our situation at LT would be pretty damn good.

Curious what the draft pick compensation would be (guessing a #2) but I'm pretty gung ho on this deal.

Side question - if we lose both Graham and Richardson to FA does that score us two 3rd round picks in 2019?

original poster

Reaction score
A-Dog":hxiiuw8b said:
Side question - if we lose both Graham and Richardson to FA does that score us two 3rd round picks in 2019?

Not guaranteed but very likely.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I have never been in the trade Graham for Oline camp before, but I'm there now. Was listening to Greg Bell on KJR and he mentioned the number of hits RW has taken and is on pace to have more hits than last years bad oline. We don't use Graham well, and honestly don't need him. Trade Jimmy.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1ufsa7gq said:
Maelstrom787":1ufsa7gq said:

Graham wont be here next year anyways with that contract so it makes perfect sense. Nobody wants Lane.

I don't think they get rid of Graham. As much as the offense as struggled, for all we know they could struggle worse

Seymour

Reaction score
Scorpion05":28faaed8 said:
pittpnthrs":28faaed8 said:
Maelstrom787":28faaed8 said:

I don't think they get rid of Graham. As much as the offense as struggled, for all we know they could struggle worse

Graham is part of the problem with the offense. That was proven in 2015 when he was out and the offense surged and took off. Having to get him so many targets is too much for our coordinator to have to think about, and he is poor at using TE's going clear back to Miller. We have always been a spread the ball around offense and he doesn't fit that. Add in his poor blocking and clearly we are not getting enough value to keep him at $10M per year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
There wasn't a single person on here saying our offense was good enough before Jimmy, nor our defense was good enough before Sheldon. These are Pro Bowl players who are being undervalued because people want to find trade bait for a left tackle. I agree with the need for a left tackle. I don't believe it outweights Sheldon's position (it doesn't; they're both crucial), and I don't believe trading away our most productive tall target will help protect Wilson from coverage sacks (it won't).

Also, there's practically nothing to this rumor at the moment. It's a Denver-based talking head doing speculation on Twitter. It might happen, but the guy isn't claiming any sources.

Seriously...with Malik's status up in the air, Avril and Bennett aging, and Houston having just lost a top-caliber player at DT, how could people be undervaluing Sheldon now? These mental gymnastics don't work.