Report: Hawks have inquired about LT Duane Brown

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":6x3kx6rl said:
There wasn't a single person on here saying our offense was good enough before Jimmy

Ya, and there still isn't a single person saying our offense is good enough with or without Jimmy. What is your point?

You are as good as your weakest link. I wonder where that may be?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Seymour":32lbdpy8 said:
Scorpion05":32lbdpy8 said:
pittpnthrs":32lbdpy8 said:
Maelstrom787":32lbdpy8 said:
No way they trade Jimmy. No way in hell.

Graham wont be here next year anyways with that contract so it makes perfect sense. Nobody wants Lane.

I don't think they get rid of Graham. As much as the offense as struggled, for all we know they could struggle worse

Graham is part of the problem with the offense. That was proven in 2015 when he was out and the offense surged and took off.

Exactly.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Agreed, Montana. Glad someone's got a clear head. Let's not start falling all over ourselves to ship off key contributors so that we can get a LT that we may not need and that we definitely can't afford.

Seymour

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1pnus6k4 said:
Agreed, Montana. Glad someone's got a clear head. Let's not start falling all over ourselves to ship off key contributors so that we can get a LT that we may not need and that we definitely can't afford.

If having one of the worst offensive L tackles in the league is not "a need", what is your criteria for needing one I wonder?

Can't afford? Again, based on what?

Offense cap $64M
Defense cap $93M

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Did I miss something? I thought the discussion was centered around trading away pieces to get a LT. Can we just buy one? Great, then do that. But otherwise, I think we need what we currently have in Graham, Bennett, Avril, Clark, Richardson, etc. I don't think the sum of the parts remaining plus Brown is going to get us further along.

Perhaps I'm missing the point here.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2rzji9f3 said:

Have you seen our LT play lately, like in the past 4 years?

massari

Reaction score
Richardson isn't getting traded and I don't understand why people would rather have Graham over a top LT.

The offense didn't miss a beat after Graham got injured in 2015 and went on that historic run.

Trade Graham (and Lane if possible) to clear the cap room for a LT and sign TE Gary Barnidge, who's a great pass blocker.

RussB

Reaction score
massari":27ueus6w said:
Richardson isn't getting traded and I don't understand why people would rather have Graham over a top LT.

The offense didn't miss a beat after Graham got injured in 2015 and went on that historic run.

Trade Graham (and Lane if possible) to clear the cap room for a LT and sign TE Gary Barnidge, who's a great pass blocker.
This. Graham really isnt that important in this offense and they are throwing away 10mil.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Jimmy is the obvious player to move to make a trade for Brown happen. Trading Jimmy frees up the necessary cap space, and you are getting value out of player now hat you are virtually certain to lose in free agency in the offseason. It would be a fantastic trade for the Hawks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
massari":21r5sd5n said:

Surprising that he hasn't be signed by any team. There could be a reason for that.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
It's like this
You have two houses, You can only have 22 bottles of booze.
In one house you have 11 premium whiskies
in the 2nd house, you don't have any.
Now would you miss one bottle from the 1st house if you can take it to your 2nd house
Now you have two homes with premium whisky.

I just don't get the worry about losing one rent a D player that we never had before and who we did fine without and how through 5 games in which he's done marginal.

HawkerD

Reaction score
tersal":35zr15su said:
ludakrishna":35zr15su said:
I said a straight up Michael Bennett for Duane Brown trade but that went down the toilet due to Bennetts Planter Fascia injury.
Bennet is a pure 4-3 DE Houston uns a 3-4 scheme.

Bunk. He has lined up inside on numerous occasions on passing downs

massari

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1s2y0yxi said:
It's like this
I just don't get the worry about losing one rent a D player that we never had before and who we did fine without and how through 5 games in which he's done marginal.
He's not just a rental, he'll be franchise tagged for one maybe two years and then possibly sign for a few more if affordable...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3gbd1ejk said:
It's like this
Now would you miss one bottle from the 1st house if you can take it to your 2nd house

I just don't get the worry about losing one rent a D player that we never had before and who we did fine without

Has a lot to do with the fact that we DIDN'T do fine without him. Not as fine as we could have. I've pointed that out to you a few times now and, as far as I can tell, you just have your fingers in your ears. Despite our top DVOA ranking last year, our 3rd down performance was spotty, we weren't getting interior pass rush, and people on this board were constantly squawking about it. Rightfully so.

Sheldon just won an important division game for us. Two turnovers. That's not a small accomplishment, and his age suggests that he can keep on doing it for a while. With Bennett and Avril getting long in the tooth, it's not hard to see him as a solid replacement.

For the folks who are insisting that we're stuck in the so-called "10-6 Rut" and need a player to "push us over the edge" again, Sheldon could be exactly that type of piece.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3760t7nj said:
Bobblehead":3760t7nj said:
It's like this

I just don't get the worry about losing one rent a D player that we never had before and who we did fine without

Has a lot to do with the fact that we DIDN'T do fine without him. Not as fine as we could have. I've pointed that out to you a few times now and, as far as I can tell, you just have your fingers in your ears. Despite our top DVOA ranking last year, our 3rd down performance was spotty, we weren't getting interior pass rush, and people on this board were constantly squawking about it. Rightfully so.

Sheldon just won an important division game for us. Two turnovers. That's not a small accomplishment, and his age suggests that he can keep on doing it for a while. With Bennett and Avril getting long in the tooth, it's not hard to see him as a solid replacement.

For the folks who are insisting that we're stuck in the so-called "10-6 Rut" and need a player to "push us over the edge" again, Sheldon could be exactly that type of piece.

YEah and our 3rd round performance this year has been better? LOL

As much as I'm happy that we won. it really was wasn't Sheldon winning it for as, as a young QB making some bonehead plays and a runner not controlling the ball and a punt returner forgetting how to catch a punt.

Who's to say, that if it wasn't Sheldon, it would have been someone else.

It's not that I don't read your comments, it's just that I don't agree with all your comments. I know.. weird.

I do agree with the one poster however and his point was that Bennett's and Avril are hurt so it may not be the best time to trade him, but then again, maybe it is a good time since we have a bye week, we have the crappy Giants, and then the Texans who have now a concern about their OL.

I'm just curious, why does and what makes a lot of us think that we can resign him? He's going to want a top 3 type contract. Where will that money come from? Are you willing to disgruntle the rest of your Star defenders by giving a 1 year guy the 2nd largest Seahawk contract? I don't think so, he'll be let go and McDowell will be his replacement and we'll recoup a 3rd rd draft choice. JS is not going to break the bank, you've seen it before.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bobblehead":hgyuy3n0 said:
MontanaHawk05":hgyuy3n0 said:
Bobblehead":hgyuy3n0 said:
It's like this

YEah and our 3rd round performance this year has been better? LOL

As much as I'm happy that we won. it really was wasn't Sheldon winning it for as, as a young QB making some bonehead plays and a runner not controlling the ball and a punt returner forgetting how to catch a punt.

Who's to say, that if it wasn't Sheldon, it would have been someone else.

It's not that I don't read your comments, it's just that I don't agree with all your comments. I know.. weird.

I do agree with the one poster however and his point was that Bennett's and Avril are hurt so it may not be the best time to trade him, but then again, maybe it is a good time since we have a bye week, we have the crappy Giants, and then the Texans who have now a concern about their OL.

I'm just curious, why does and what makes a lot of us think that we can resign him? He's going to want a top 3 type contract. Where will that money come from? Are you willing to disgruntle the rest of your Star defenders by giving a 1 year guy the 2nd largest Seahawk contract? I don't think so, he'll be let go and McDowell will be his replacement and we'll recoup a 3rd rd draft choice. JS is not going to break the bank, you've seen it before.

You're fine to disagree with my comments. It's just that you don't even consider them. Our 3rd down performance has been better this year, yes. And two turnovers in one road game vs a tough division opponent? You have to work pretty hard to find a reason to just dismiss that kind of impact on a season.

We've got one of the toughest and most nimble QB's in the league whose offensive line has never held him back from 10 wins. If there's any team where the OL plays a less important role, it's here. Do your best to prep the position (and we have not done well), but don't kick Pro Bowlers at crucial positions to the curb to make up for it. That's like selling your only car to pay the bills.

You don't know that Malik will ever play football again, or that he'll be what he could have been after his very severe injury.

I do agree with the one poster however and his point was that Bennett's and Avril are hurt so it may not be the best time to trade him

I made that point, too. We don't know when Avril will be back.

Jville

Reaction score
I think it likely that much of the league has inquired about Duane Brown during his holdout.

"Benjamin Allbright" offers no source. Just makes a speculative and unsupported assertion of a connection. LOL

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/917505555568168960[/tweet]

"TexansCap" appears to be the spark for this latest speculative exercise. It was triggered by an exercise of where to unload a holdout and how to improve the cap space for the Houston Texans. Here at dot net, it has found speculative traction and taken on a life of its own. LOL

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TexansCap/status/917512518897229826[/tweet]

Given that this will be a slow bye week, examples of speculation may gain momentum and roar right up thru the Giants game. Just be cognizant of the potential for a great wailing over speculative deals didn't come to pass.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Jville":6wa5tpq4 said:
I think it likely that much of the league has inquired about Duane Brown during his holdout.

"Benjamin Allbright" offers no source. Just makes a speculative and unsupported assertion of a connection. LOL

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/917505555568168960[/tweet]

"TexansCap" appears to be the spark for this latest speculative exercise. It was triggered by an exercise of where to unload a holdout and how to improve the cap space for the Houston Texans. Here at dot net, it has found speculative traction and taken on a life of its own. LOL

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TexansCap/status/917512518897229826[/tweet]

Given that this will be a slow bye week, examples of speculation may gain momentum and roar right up thru the Giants game. Just be cognizant of the potential for a great wailing over speculative deals didn't come to pass.

Or it could be true. Everything is speculation until it is finalized. I don't think the guy would be blowing smoke just to blow it. Besides there are multiple reports on this.

Get it done Hawks.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Yeah, your right, I don't consider them and here's why. My belief has been and will be that our offense on the field in so many different ways helps our Defense just about more than any singular defensive player. Our offense off the field however puts so much pressure on our D, and I think it was bubbling over a few weeks ago. So what ever argument and however good it is for the defense, I just won't accept. We need a good LT to solidly our OL, to maintain time and possession. We need a good OL to wear down opposing teams defenses much like we used to do when we were absolutely dominating them.. We are so close to this, but yet so far. It's a sacrifice I know, but in the end, I believe we'll be better for it.

BTW, the beauty of Sheldon Richardson being a FA next year is that, we can still sign him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1g16mztn said:
Yeah, your right, I don't consider them and here's why. My belief has been and will be that our offense on the field in so many different ways helps our Defense just about more than any singular defensive player.

That problem doesn't manifest itself nearly as much in the second half. The problem is Pete's conservative play-calling of the first half, which constricts Wilson's options and places a much bigger burden on his line. Rees Odhiambo looks at least serviceable in the second half once Wilson is free to let it fly. That's a pattern that's stretched back all the way to 2012.

The Rams game was an exception, but...division game.

Also, getting rid of our only productive tall target isn't going to help the offense.