Report: Hawks have inquired about LT Duane Brown

Bobblehead

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3dh5trcs said:
Bobblehead":3dh5trcs said:
Yeah, your right, I don't consider them and here's why. My belief has been and will be that our offense on the field in so many different ways helps our Defense just about more than any singular defensive player.

That problem doesn't manifest itself nearly as much in the second half. The problem is Pete's conservative play-calling of the first half, which constricts Wilson's options and places a much bigger burden on his line. Rees Odhiambo looks at least serviceable in the second half once Wilson is free to let it fly. That's a pattern that's stretched back all the way to 2012.

The Rams game was an exception, but...division game.

Also, getting rid of our only productive tall target isn't going to help the offense.

I"m not sure why, but when Russ started, his first year, it was.. well were keeping the reigns on Russ and everyone clamored for.. let him be..It went into the 2nd year as the same thing, and yet here it is in his 5th year and now Pete's conservative play calling has me thinking he's still in his 1st year.

I do remember a couple of years ago, after we purged got rid of Carpentar and Ben G we started slow and it was said, only a matter of time.. and sure enough, we started to dominate teams and then came Tampa, we got schooled. Turns out as far as I can tell, we dominated some very piss poor teams and when we came up against a rising team, we reverted back to the conservative play calling ways so to speak. So I don't know, it's been frustrating to watch this team with so much going for it, just under achieving.. Why is that? My only thought right now is, it's gotta be the line. It's the reason we win ugly, cause we have so much talent elsewhere that the talent alone over comes our line weakness. You remember the Tampa game right? I think after that game, it was the first time there was some doubt that crept across us. Sure we are good enough for a winning record, too get into the playoff's, but that's about as far as we go right now. Good teams won't give us the breaks like the Rams did.

My thought is we keep the eligible Tackle in, keep Graham at WR spot and play a somewhat GB style of hurry up offense, get the players to the line fast, keep the D off balance and that way perhaps behind this questionable line, we can get some rhythm going.

Seymour

Reaction score
Looks like Brown may have some motivation to make this work sooner rather than later.

If Brown doesn’t play before the eighth game of the season, his rights roll back to the next year and he doesn’t get credited with a season toward free agency. Davis Hsu says John Schneider has been interested in Brown for a long time, but given all the sides to the situation this rumor getting out seems awfully like bluster to create movement in a stalemate.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/10/...-albert-discuss-duane-brown-trade-with-texans

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/917575007508635648[/tweet]

Leee-roy

Reaction score
I'm sure Cable can make him below average fairly quickly.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1okgu0tl said:
Bobblehead":1okgu0tl said:
It's like this
You have two houses, You can only have 22 bottles of booze.
In one house you have 11 premium whiskies
in the 2nd house, you don't have any.
Now would you miss one bottle from the 1st house if you can take it to your 2nd house
Now you have two homes with premium whisky.

I just don't get the worry about losing one rent a D player that we never had before and who we did fine without

Has a lot to do with the fact that we DIDN'T do fine without him. Not as fine as we could have. I've pointed that out to you a few times now and, as far as I can tell, you just have your fingers in your ears. Despite our top DVOA ranking last year, our 3rd down performance was spotty, we weren't getting interior pass rush, and people on this board were constantly squawking about it. Rightfully so.

Sheldon just won an important division game for us. Two turnovers. That's not a small accomplishment, and his age suggests that he can keep on doing it for a while. With Bennett and Avril getting long in the tooth, it's not hard to see him as a solid replacement.

For the folks who are insisting that we're stuck in the so-called "10-6 Rut" and need a player to "push us over the edge" again, Sheldon could be exactly that type of piece.

Add to this the fact that our interceptions have steadily gone down. Much of this is due to lack of interior pressure.

We also don't know what's going on with McDowell, who was supposed to be our answer to this issue after the draft. McDowell was slated to be a 3 tech and 5 tech DE. RIchardson can play everything from 3 tech, DE, and has played the 1 T (nose tackle) for the Jets and did it at a high level. He's more versatile than any DL we have right now, including Bennett. If we can afford him, we do it.

Reaction score
One of my friends knows his dad. He played football with him at Hermitage in Richmond, VA he said the hawks have been calling his agent non stop I kid u not!

Pie Romania

Reaction score
Hawks46":1gppx1ft said:
MontanaHawk05":1gppx1ft said:
Bobblehead":1gppx1ft said:
It's like this
Now would you miss one bottle from the 1st house if you can take it to your 2nd house

I just don't get the worry about losing one rent a D player that we never had before and who we did fine without

Has a lot to do with the fact that we DIDN'T do fine without him. Not as fine as we could have. I've pointed that out to you a few times now and, as far as I can tell, you just have your fingers in your ears. Despite our top DVOA ranking last year, our 3rd down performance was spotty, we weren't getting interior pass rush, and people on this board were constantly squawking about it. Rightfully so.

Sheldon just won an important division game for us. Two turnovers. That's not a small accomplishment, and his age suggests that he can keep on doing it for a while. With Bennett and Avril getting long in the tooth, it's not hard to see him as a solid replacement.

For the folks who are insisting that we're stuck in the so-called "10-6 Rut" and need a player to "push us over the edge" again, Sheldon could be exactly that type of piece.

Add to this the fact that our interceptions have steadily gone down. Much of this is due to lack of interior pressure.

We also don't know what's going on with McDowell, who was supposed to be our answer to this issue after the draft. McDowell was slated to be a 3 tech and 5 tech DE. RIchardson can play everything from 3 tech, DE, and has played the 1 T (nose tackle) for the Jets and did it at a high level. He's more versatile than any DL we have right now, including Bennett. If we can afford him, we do it.

Agreed. Signing Richardson long-term is a must IMO. It allows them to move on from Bennett if they want and plug McDowell into that role (so long as he is capable of playing). Richardson and Reed inside on early downs with Avril/Clark on one side rotationally and McDowell on the other. Passing downs you have Avril & Clark on the ends with Richardson & McDowell inside. Bennett has a $4 million dollar roster bonus next year, so if McDowell is able to play late in the season and shows the talent level the front office expected when selecting him, I think they will be actively shopping him to recoup some of the value they lost with the 2nd round pick they gave up for Richardson.

As to the topic of this thread, I love having Jimmy Graham on this team; His talent is evident. With that said, he's extremely under-utilized and even though we'd turn the TE position into a bit of a weakness, it won't be horrible. Using that money towards protecting Wilson has been necessary for too long. Even if Brown ends up being average, he offers more to the offensive success than JG does given the circumstances. If Brown wants a hefty pay raise from what he is set to earn, then I'd lean towards Branden Albert instead and holding onto JG so that we receive a compensatory pick in the future.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I think for me it boils down to this:

We need a historically good defense to do anything. With Bev and cable running this offense, it will never be great, even with a stellar line. It can get better, and last game I saw Bevell doing a few of the things we have been screaming about for sometime. There is just no proof at all that Cable is able to do his job at a high level anywhere he has been. Bevell the same.

We won a superbowl by spending money on the D and having a quarterback that can make something happen out of nothing. We all can agree Jimmy has been totally left out of our offensive strategy.

Sheldon and shaq are a start to the next gen defense. We need to keep them for the long run if we want to be relevant.
A shiny piece of candy at left tackle wont increase our productivity on that side of the ball, but I would entertain a Jimmy trade for it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
johnnyfever":39jt07ra said:

We need a historically good defense to do anything. With Bev and cable running this offense, it will never be great, even with a stellar line. It can get better, and last game I saw Bevell doing a few of the things we have been screaming about for sometime. There is just no proof at all that Cable is able to do his job at a high level anywhere he has been. Bevell the same.

We won a superbowl by spending money on the D and having a quarterback that can make something happen out of nothing. We all can agree Jimmy has been totally left out of our offensive strategy.

Sheldon and shaq are a start to the next gen defense. We need to keep them for the long run if we want to be relevant.
A shiny piece of candy at left tackle wont increase our productivity on that side of the ball, but I would entertain a Jimmy trade for it.

We also had a very adequate offensive line that kept opposing defenses on the field and opposing offenses off the field.

It's not going to matter how great your defense is, if it's on the field all day, it's going to get gassed and you add to that, the playoff and Superbowl will be more than 16 games away from the start of the season.. you watch, they will be totally gassed by then if something doesn't happen.

Seafan

Reaction score
Pie Romania":2eyagpvq said:
Hawks46":2eyagpvq said:
MontanaHawk05":2eyagpvq said:
Bobblehead":2eyagpvq said:
It's like this

Agreed. Signing Richardson long-term is a must IMO. It allows them to move on from Bennett if they want and plug McDowell into that role (so long as he is capable of playing). Richardson and Reed inside on early downs with Avril/Clark on one side rotationally and McDowell on the other. Passing downs you have Avril & Clark on the ends with Richardson & McDowell inside. Bennett has a $4 million dollar roster bonus next year, so if McDowell is able to play late in the season and shows the talent level the front office expected when selecting him, I think they will be actively shopping him to recoup some of the value they lost with the 2nd round pick they gave up for Richardson.

As to the topic of this thread, I love having Jimmy Graham on this team; His talent is evident. With that said, he's extremely under-utilized and even though we'd turn the TE position into a bit of a weakness, it won't be horrible. Using that money towards protecting Wilson has been necessary for too long. Even if Brown ends up being average, he offers more to the offensive success than JG does given the circumstances. If Brown wants a hefty pay raise from what he is set to earn, then I'd lean towards Branden Albert instead and holding onto JG so that we receive a compensatory pick in the future.

Avril is done. He won't be back next season.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Bobblehead":j1sjr2gj said:
johnnyfever":j1sjr2gj said:

We also had a very adequate offensive line that kept opposing defenses on the field and opposing offenses off the field.

It's not going to matter how great your defense is, if it's on the field all day, it's going to get gassed and you add to that, the playoff and Superbowl will be more than 16 games away from the start of the season.. you watch, they will be totally gassed by then if something doesn't happen.

We had a very adequate line?

Interesting take. That wasn't the narrative back then....

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2wox803r said:
Bobblehead":2wox803r said:
johnnyfever":2wox803r said:

We had a very adequate line?

Interesting take. That wasn't the narrative back then....

With Okung, the RT tackle, Gino.. Unger, Carp and who ever was our other guard, it was a lot better than what we have now and obviously, they were serviceable.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2bwq03ss said:
There wasn't a single person on here saying our offense was good enough before Jimmy, nor our defense was good enough before Sheldon. These are Pro Bowl players who are being undervalued because people want to find trade bait for a left tackle. I agree with the need for a left tackle. I don't believe it outweights Sheldon's position (it doesn't; they're both crucial), and I don't believe trading away our most productive tall target will help protect Wilson from coverage sacks (it won't).

Also, there's practically nothing to this rumor at the moment. It's a Denver-based talking head doing speculation on Twitter. It might happen, but the guy isn't claiming any sources.

Seriously...with Malik's status up in the air, Avril and Bennett aging, and Houston having just lost a top-caliber player at DT, how could people be undervaluing Sheldon now? These mental gymnastics don't work.

They ARE NOT turning around and trading Richardson away after acquiring him. That idea is absurd. If this trade goes down, it'll be LANE and a draft pick or it won't happen. Bennett isn't going anywhere and my money says neither is Graham. Hawks will make a push to extend Richardson this year and if they can't get something done, they'll take their high comp pick and hope that McDowell can come back strong.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
:lol: We're not trading Sheldon Richardson for Duane Brown. Stop trying to make this a thing.

Only player I could see moving for Brown would be Graham and that's just because the salaries add up. Even then, very highly doubtful that happens.

Seymour

Reaction score
Seafan":1zub2k93 said:
Avril is done. He won't be back next season.

And here I thought that would be up to Cliff and the team to decide.

You may be right, but assuming his career is over before we really know the extent of the problem is a bit disrespectful to a player that has done nothing but be a class act and huge contributor to our title.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2o4qyikr said:
:lol: We're not trading Sheldon Richardson for Duane Brown. Stop trying to make this a thing.

Only player I could see moving for Brown would be Graham and that's just because the salaries add up. Even then, very highly doubtful that happens.

Graham is doubtful, because he's a UFA. So why would Houston trade an asset like Brown knowing Graham is gone at the end of the year, or at the least forcing you to use your franchise tag to keep him, and would you want to keep him?

If we get this done, it'll be a lesser player like Lane and draft pick(s)...............AND trying to come to some sort of long term deal with Brown.

This is why this is has been going on for months, and a longshot. A lot of pieces have to fall into place.

I'm also super nervous about giving up bigtime assets for a player that held out. How many times have we seen a guy hold out, come back mid year, and then get hurt because he hasn't been playing? That's a far more likely scenario than players coming in mid year and playing well.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Got a feeling we're shipping out Graham, and that Graham has known this. First time they actually used him as a receiver last week, got him a TD.. cap hit for both are roughly the same, not sure how I feel about it. Would rather see lane go, but 2018 wise this might be a better trade. More Darboh?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hmq97ylu said:
Hasselbeck":hmq97ylu said:

Graham is doubtful, because he's a UFA. So why would Houston trade an asset like Brown knowing Graham is gone at the end of the year, or at the least forcing you to use your franchise tag to keep him, and would you want to keep him?

If we get this done, it'll be a lesser player like Lane and draft pick(s)...............AND trying to come to some sort of long term deal with Brown.

This is why this is has been going on for months, and a longshot. A lot of pieces have to fall into place.

I'm also super nervous about giving up bigtime assets for a player that held out. How many times have we seen a guy hold out, come back mid year, and then get hurt because he hasn't been playing? That's a far more likely scenario than players coming in mid year and playing well.

I'm just super nervous any time we do a trade because we always seem to overpay and get far less from said player than we hoped for.

Even Sheldon Richardson, as great as he was on Sunday, has been relatively quiet for a good portion of the season. Would have rather kicked the tires on Branden Albert because all that costs is some cap space.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3d7mlfbu said:
Sgt. Largent":3d7mlfbu said:
Hasselbeck":3d7mlfbu said:

I'm just super nervous any time we do a trade because we always seem to overpay and get far less from said player than we hoped for.

Even Sheldon Richardson, as great as he was on Sunday, has been relatively quiet for a good portion of the season. Would have rather kicked the tires on Branden Albert because all that costs is some cap space.

For this season at least, we get a top 5-7 DT for 1/2 price, and should get a 3rd rounder even if we let him go. Tough to argue that was a bad move. Signing him to a huge deal could be though if the oline is not made priority.

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1dlla8xi said:
If they can't end up re-signing Graham, they'd likely get a 3rd round comp pick out of it to go along with having Graham the rest of this season. But the Seahawks could offer Graham+3rd, so two 3rd rounders+extra cap room if Graham ends up leaving. Not bad for a 32 year old holding out.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":13lsjnku said:
Who's to say, that if it wasn't Sheldon, it would have been someone else..

"Who's to say"?....Dude, it WASN'T "Someone Else", it was Sheldon who made more than just ONE great play.
You're trying to devalue his 'Get After It, to prop up your 'What If's'. :lol: