REPORT: Seattle has discussed getting Jimmy G

Smellyman

Reaction score
Two things we need to remember, JimmyG led team did go to super bowl once, and NFC championship game twice. He didn't carry his team, his play led to not winning the superbowl.

If our defense is great, he could be adequate. It would be fair to say that Jimmy is proven in comparison to Geno and Lock.
Jimmy practically carried the 9ers to the super bowl and championship game with 4 TDs and 6 INTs.

He had no skill position player help, terrible Oline, terrible run game, terrible defense and one of the games worst play callers in the league.

He always beat the Hawks too. He is money

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jimmy is a statue in the backfield and would likely get pounded in Seattle. Of course like every other available QB the Hawks have likely done their due diligence on him.

Once again the likelihood of the 9'ers trading him to in division team is low and his contract upon a trade is substantial ($25,550,000) and is more than the Hawks have in available cap space. I doubt there would be much interest in trading away early draft capital for him on a 1 yr. deal and thus unless he is cut by the 9'ers I be surprised to see the Hawks trading to acquire him.

GemCity

Reaction score
Let’s ride!!!!

With Will Levis in 2023. Coffee Mayonnaise and all.

Rat

Reaction score
I wouldn't hate it. I think we're a fringe playoff contender with him and if you get lucky with injuries (yeah, yeah, I know) it could be a surprisingly good year. I don't think this is going to be bad enough for like a top 5 pick anyway.

Mizak

Reaction score
Jimmy practically carried the 9ers to the super bowl and championship game with 4 TDs and 6 INTs.

He had no skill position player help, terrible Oline, terrible run game, terrible defense and one of the games worst play callers in the league.

He always beat the Hawks too. He is money
When Jimmy G was healthy during Super Bowl and NFC championship years, that team ranked in passing:

28th pass attempts, 12th in passing yards in 2019.
28th pass attempts, 17th in passing yards in 2021.

that team ranked in rushing:
2nd in rushing attempts, 2nd in rushing yards in 2019.
5th in rushing attempts, 7th in rushing yards in 2021.

and you know Pete preaches running the ball more. Jimmy G is perfect for this offense.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Brock Huard laughed today when asked about Jimmy G and basically echoed what I've been saying since 69er fans thought teams wanted him. "Nobody wants Jimmy at that price when most practice squad quarterbacks have a better arm". We got 3 quarterbacks on roster now that won't cost us $26 mil

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
What are the Pete Fluffers going to say a few games in with multiple losses and terrible QB play?

1. it was intentional so we can draft higher
2. Pete’s not on the field. Not his fault.
3. Nobody would trade us a decent QB for a pocketful of lint.
4. you fans wanting the team to do well are just entitled bandwaggoners. I can remember the team going 0-46. We are the true fans not you So shut up.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Brock Huard laughed today when asked about Jimmy G and basically echoed what I've been saying since 69er fans thought teams wanted him. "Nobody wants Jimmy at that price when most practice squad quarterbacks have a better arm". We got 3 quarterbacks on roster now that won't cost us $26 mil
Brittle Brock is speaking of weak arms from experience. If anyone, he has firsthand knowledge of it. Someone who has put up the following stats in their NFL career shouldn't be pontificating about others.

With that said, I still say no to Jimmy G in a trade. But if he's released by the 49ers, by all means get him. Even with a weak arm he's proven better than the QBs on the roster. You don't need a strong arm to move the chains. You need an accurate one. One thing he has shown is he is accurate, with a 67.7 career comp pct. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GaroJi00.htm

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
When Jimmy G was healthy during Super Bowl and NFC championship years, that team ranked in passing:

28th pass attempts, 12th in passing yards in 2019.
28th pass attempts, 17th in passing yards in 2021.

that team ranked in rushing:
2nd in rushing attempts, 2nd in rushing yards in 2019.
5th in rushing attempts, 7th in rushing yards in 2021.

and you know Pete preaches running the ball more. Jimmy G is perfect for this offense.
very good points,

BASF

Reaction score
Six pages of this our team discussed getting Jimmy G. Six pages? I have discussed having a threesome with Ornella Muti and Monica Belluci, but it would never happen so why bother dedicating six pages to it?

Own The West

Reaction score
Oh please. Oh please. Oh please make it stop...

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What are the Pete Fluffers going to say a few games in with multiple losses and terrible QB play?

1. it was intentional so we can draft higher
2. Pete’s not on the field. Not his fault.
3. Nobody would trade us a decent QB for a pocketful of lint.
4. you fans wanting the team to do well are just entitled bandwaggoners. I can remember the team going 0-46. We are the true fans not you So shut up.
That resets need to happen from time to time for successful organizations to continue being successful, and that it'd be short-sighted to argue that clutching to a declining 34 year old deep ball quarterback for an additional year would've been better for the organization.

I fully expect those with an insatiable need for instant gratification to be short-sighted enough to be saying exactly that, regardless of next years record.

toffee

Reaction score
Can someone that played or knows the game help me to compare Jimmy to Geno and Lock? All I have read led me to think that:
  1. Arm strength: Lock > Geno > Jimmy,
  2. Release quickness: Jimmy > (not sure Geno or Lock was quick)
  3. Accuracy without pressure?
  4. Accuracy under pressure: Jimmy > Geno > Lock ( may be all three sucked?)
  5. Accuracy on the run ? (Russ was king)
  6. Rushing Lock: > Geno > Jimmy
  7. Anticipation throws: Jimmy > Geno > Lock ??
  8. Play action Lock > ?
  9. Read defense ?
  10. Foot work?
  11. Swagger?

Last edited:

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Can someone that played or knows the game help me to compare Jimmy to Geno and Lock? All I have read led me to think that:
  1. Arm strength wise Lock > Geno > Jimmy,
  2. Release quickness wise Jimmy > ?? (not sure Geno or Lock was quick)
  3. Accuracy without pressure?
  4. Accuracy under pressure Jimmy > Geno > Lock ( may be all three sucked?)
  5. Accuracy on the run ?? (Russ was king)
  6. Rushing Lock > Geno > Jimmy
  7. Anticipation throws Jimmy > Geno > Lock ??
  8. Play action Lock > ??
  9. Read defense ??
  10. Foot work??
Jordan Palmer could be 1 guy to ask, but not me.
You also could have added
11. Swagger...
as an element, and Lock would be a contender, if not outright winner.
On #10, I watched one video with an "expert" claiming that Lock was using a
"two and one half step" drop instead of 3 step, but maybe that's not new.
Interesting for me listening to Jordah Palmer's comments on Mahomes, who seems to bend, or break, many of the mechanical rules...sometimes for very good...sometimes for not good.
Back on topic, to JimmyG: maybe it's not 'is what iit is'...maybe it's not 'what it was', depending on his recovery from (another) surgery.

toffee

Reaction score
Jordan Palmer could be 1 guy to ask, but not me.
You also could have added
11. Swagger...
as an element, and Lock would be a contender, if not outright winner.
On #10, I watched one video with an "expert" claiming that Lock was using a
"two and one half step" drop instead of 3 step, but maybe that's not new.
Interesting for me listening to Jordah Palmer's comments on Mahomes, who seems to bend, or break, many of the mechanical rules...sometimes for very good...sometimes for not good.
Back on topic, to JimmyG: maybe it's not 'is what iit is'...maybe it's not 'what it was', depending on his recovery from (another) surgery.
You are right! I added 11 Swagger. Now, how to get Jordan Palmer to share his insights?

fullquartpress

Reaction score
You are right! I added 11 Swagger. Now, how to get Jordan Palmer to share his insights?

Jordan Palmer seems to tutor several young QBs, so must be cautious with his public comments. Also, the QB coaches must have to agree to let him advise their 'students', in a supplementary teaching role. Our QB caoch, Dave Canales, for example, may not want to be 'upstaged' by another teacher...or maybe he welcomes the extra tutoring.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
That resets need to happen from time to time for successful organizations to continue being successful, and that it'd be short-sighted to argue that clutching to a declining 34 year old deep ball quarterback for an additional year would've been better for the organization.

I fully expect those with an insatiable need for instant gratification to be short-sighted enough to be saying exactly that, regardless of next years record.
Well, I wasn’t one complaining about RW being traded. I’m one to complain that we chose to keep a declining 80 year old head coach over that declining, but still viable, QB.

I‘m also not a Jimmy Garrapolo fan. I think he is an improvement on what we have but that is all. He is not an ultimate solution at the positi on.

My complaint is basically this: we have two mediocre to shitty backup quality QBs and the team has not even tried to better the position - the most important position on thr team. maybe lock surprises us and I eat crow but Geno has zero chance of being a winning QB. I usually default to PC being an arrogant arse that wrongly thinks he can take any mediocre crap player and turn him into a good player. He cant and he won’t.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Well, I wasn’t one complaining about RW being traded. I’m one to complain that we chose to keep a declining 80 year old head coach over that declining, but still viable, QB.

I‘m also not a Jimmy Garrapolo fan. I think he is an improvement on what we have but that is all. He is not an ultimate solution at the positi on.

My complaint is basically this: we have two mediocre to shitty backup quality QBs and the team has not even tried to better the position - the most important position on thr team. maybe lock surprises us and I eat crow but Geno has zero chance of being a winning QB. I usually default to PC being an arrogant arse that wrongly thinks he can take any mediocre crap player and turn him into a good player. He cant and he won’t.
Pete is 80 now!

Latest posts