Reports: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJHSIDGF-ML

Reaction score
TheHawkster":1gqzsw9c said:
dontbelikethat":1gqzsw9c said:
TheHawkster":1gqzsw9c said:
Somebody in the front office had to have asked Cliff Avril if Suh is a problem.
If Cliff thinks there is an issue, the conversation about Suh ends immediately.
They worked in the same position room every day.

Yeah, but to play devil's advocate, I'm sure they asked Sidney Rice, Tjack, Bevell and probably Heath Farwell about Percy Harvin...and you know how that turned out.

LOL. Touche!!!!!

Is it too soon to say Harvin will be back for the veteran minimum?

No way.

Rob12

Reaction score
ManBunts":1a0pna85 said:
I'm sorry but I don't want Suh. He's good, yes, but I don't want a player that dirty. I don't want that to tarnish our team. I don't want to have to deal with homers from other teams that use him as an excuse to call us all dirty players.

Mebane back healthy, Hill healthy, workup Marsh, resign Williams, get all that done and our D-line is fierce. I think we're all still a little bent out of shape about the Super Bowl and how our defense didn't hold, forgetting that a full 3/4 of our starters were injured. There's nobody to replace. Just lots of guys that need some R&R

He's not dirty. Dude has a passion for the game and for winning.

Honestly man, and I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but football is a violent game played by violent men. The last place on earth that you probably want to be is at the bottom of a fumble pile. See, the cameras can't see what goes on in there, but it's very bad things... Guys like Michael Bennett are gorging eyes and grabbing sacks and doing God knows what else to members of the opposing team.

This whole 'dirty' thing is simply a narrative, and one that doesn't hold much water. If you want to win with class, we can go back to those soft teams of the early/mid 2000's with Holmgren and get bounced from the playoffs? I mean, this is a violent league, dude. Every player on the Hawks is looking for an edge. The only difference is that Suh has GOTTEN CAUGHT a couple of times.

Spare me the squeaky clean image. Honestly, if this guy wants to be here and it's feasible, we need to make it a reality.

Rob12

Reaction score
Good grief I want this dude on the Hawks. If the reports are true and he wants to be here? How can you not find a way to get this guy on your roster?

So, we already have a historically great defense, and you would add one of the best defensive lineman of all-time? Still firmly planted in his prime, with perhaps his best years to come?

Avril, Suh, Mebane, Bennett... With Jordan Hill, possibly Kevin Williams, Cassius Marsh (kid WILL be a stud) spelling these dudes?

We're losing Maxwell, of that I am sure of... Suh takes an enormous amount of pressure of the LOB. Our pass rush would simply be insane.

Sign this guy. I am betting my house that the Seahawks already have their financial guys working on the ins and outs of signing Suh. After the most heartbreaking loss in team history, we must respond, and we must respond with authority. Can you imagine the collective group of head coaches that would be dropping deuces in their britches at the headline of, "Suh signs with the Seahawks?" I mean, come on. This could potentially be a once in a lifetime coup for this team.

MAKE. IT. HAPPEN.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
I'm very sceptical of this rumour..it all seems to be based on the fact that Suh lived in Portland, and I can't really see the numbers making economic sense. Its not the way JS and PC do things here.

Also I'm still in mourning and therefore don't want to acknowledge the sun coming out just yet.

Still i'm excited by the mere thought of the possibility, so SHOCK ME SUH AND COME TO THE PNW!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Bobblehead":10lvepqf said:
ManBunts":10lvepqf said:
I'm sorry but I don't want Suh. He's good, yes, but I don't want a player that dirty. I don't want that to tarnish our team. I don't want to have to deal with homers from other teams that use him as an excuse to call us all dirty players.

Mebane back healthy, Hill healthy, workup Marsh, resign Williams, get all that done and our D-line is fierce. I think we're all still a little bent out of shape about the Super Bowl and how our defense didn't hold, forgetting that a full 3/4 of our starters were injured. There's nobody to replace. Just lots of guys that need some R&R

I"m sorry, but since the Angry Deuce incident in the Super Bowl, our team is already been tarnished.

You're joking? Our team is "tarnished" because of Baldwin's celebration? FFS...

As for Suh, he does fill a rather important need. While the D-line succumbed to injuries, it may have been a depth issue. Adding Suh takes some of the pressure off the others and allows us to get back to a rotation more reflective of 2013.

Now, it can be argued if that's the best use of our resources. Probably not, but it's not the worst place to spend money.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
chris98251":t77gxzl0 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":t77gxzl0 said:
Also Suh being a 3 down player negates the need for deep DLine.... Hes probably an exta pass rusher and DT in snaps.

And he pretty much negates Byron Maxwell with his interior presence when you add him to the mix with our Front 7 and LOB.

There is a reason why Detroits Secondary was highly regarded... Interior pressure at its finest.

Maxwell on the open market is at least worth 7.5M.

McDaniel OBS and Williams made about 6.5 last year thats 13 m alone factoring Max contract.

Detroits secondary was their Achilles heal.

Yep. Their front 7 made them look 100x's better than they are.

I personally don't think we pay for Suh. It will be too much. However, I would LOVE him here. Suh is a great locker room guy. He has NO off field issues. He plays kinda nasty but I like it. This isn't Tim Ruskell's team anymore.
There are some things that Suh did on the field that got blown WAY out of proportion IMO. I am kinda forced to watch Detroit every weekend because I live in Michigan. I watch Suh play a lot! He is BEAST!
But alas, I think Suh coming here is just a dream.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
northseahawk":vmstjpb9 said:
The only thing that beat us including in the SB, was quick short passes. SUH won't have much affect on that. So no for me.
Imo, giving KJ 6+ million was a total mistake. Isn't worth that much. That short game suck because of KJ alot.

What? If there's anything that disrupts the short passing game, it's interior pressure by your DTs.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Looking at Rob's article at his draft blog. We can cut Miller, Mebane, Mcdaniel and free up 10+ million right? I doubt it happens but its fun to think about. I have zero doubts that they are at least weighing their options in regard to Suh. I hope they figure something out.

Hyak

Reaction score
austinslater25":3p5ef41z said:
Looking at Rob's article at his draft blog. We can cut Miller, Mebane, Mcdaniel and free up 10+ million right? I doubt it happens but its fun to think about. I have zero doubts that they are at least weighing their options in regard to Suh. I hope they figure something out.

Terminating Mebane (5.5 M), McDaniels (3 M), and Miller (3 M) would save 11.5 M. Personally, I'd rather see them extend Mebane on a short term deal to lower his cap number instead of cutting him regardless of whether it's to pursue Suh or any other FA.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
JTB":210pvxd2 said:
austinslater25":210pvxd2 said:

Terminating Mebane (5.5 M), McDaniels (3 M), and Miller (3 M) would save 11.5 M. Personally, I'd rather see them extend Mebane on a short term deal to lower his cap number instead of cutting him regardless of whether it's to pursue Suh or any other FA.
Personally, I'm more than a little worried about Mebane's injury. I think most assume he will be fine and good to know, playing at his normal level by next year, and I'm not so sure I completely believe that to be the case. He had a very significant hamstring tear and at his age, I just don't know if we can count on the same Bane we've seen throughout his career anymore. Plus re-injuring that hamstring is probably very high.

Hyak

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2q59272t said:
JTB":2q59272t said:
austinslater25":2q59272t said:

Personally, I'm more than a little worried about Mebane's injury. I think most assume he will be fine and good to know, playing at his normal level by next year, and I'm not so sure I completely believe that to be the case. He had a very significant hamstring tear and at his age, I just don't know if we can count on the same Bane we've seen throughout his career anymore. Plus re-injuring that hamstring is probably very high.

Hard to say. I'd be more concerned if he was a skill position player relying on speed but the ferocity of being inside also requires short area burst. All the more reason to re-do the deal.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
sc85sis":1184top5 said:
His talent is undeniable. His propensity for stupid, dirty plays is equally undeniable. His price tag is high.

Everyone who used to get ticked off at Breno for going over the line and drawing flags should prepare for a lot more of them if Suh were to come here. Also be prepared for him possibly getting suspended because he's a repeat offender.

We'd also be killing any depth by taking a guy on with his price tag--even if he is willing to take a little less to come to Seattle.
After last year and all the dumb presnap penalties despite not having Breno combined with understanding there actually is a purpose for being so agressive kind of got me used to it and totally willing to accept such penalties if it means we are pure nasty and mean.

The big takeaway I get from the Superbowl was that without Breno our OL was mostly soft and without Mebane and Hill the middle of our defense was the polar opposite of nasty and mean which is bad news when facing elite level quarterbacks.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
I've spent too much time trying to defend our "reputation" from fans around the league over the past couple of years and I'm done with it. There's perception and there's reality. They know that RW has a heart of gold, but they think the rest of our dudes are pure evil. Point out the community work that Pete, Sherman, Marshawn, etc. do and you'll just be told that it's for show or for tax write-offs, whatever. Done. They'll bring up the PED thing forever, even though we have ONE player on the team that has failed a test (Irvin) and most of the guys that failed in the past never even saw the field. They were guys doing anything they could to make the NFL instead of having to go out and get a real job. After ADB's Super Deuce (or whatever it was) and the fight at the end of the SB, our reputation as a classless dirty team is cemented in "their" minds, so might as well run with it. Besides, all it takes is one bad apple to spoil the reputation of an entire team (refer to Jerramy Stevens and Ruskell's Angels).

Unless Suh is willing to come here at a very reduced salary compared to what he'd get on the open market, it seems very far-fetched to believe that the 'Hawks can make the numbers work without crippling the franchise long-term with the other guys they need to take care of (e.g., Wilson, Wagner). However, if it CAN be done I am all for it, reputation be damned. He's a fiery player for sure, but as far as I know and have read, he leaves it on the field and is not the proverbial "locker room cancer". His Detroit teammates appear to love him, which is a good sign. The only real concern other than his salary is a long-term suspension if he stomps on someone again since he is a repeat offender as Sis mentioned.

Before Facebook and PFT, my interaction with other fanbases was mostly on the now defunct ESPN boards (circa SBXL era). For the first time since the early-to-mid '80s, the Seahawks were becoming a perennial playoff team. But how were we viewed around the league? "Soft" and "finesse" are words I remember. Those words used to grind my gears and I'd honestly rather be thought of as "dirty" than soft.

I was 7 years old when the 'Hawks began playing in the AFC. Our new division counterparts, the Raiders, used to terrify me. Literally. I had a Fisher Price Little People Sesame Street set and I named my Gordon character "Otis Sistrunk". Some of you surely remember him, but if you don't, here's my lazy lookalike comparison:
http://www.toplessrobot.com/gordon.jpg
http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Car ... -189Fr.jpg

The Raiders were the Bogeymen of my youth and why? Couldn't have been the pirate because I didn't fear Bucco Bruce down in Tampa. Wasn't the black jerseys, because I didn't fear the Saints, the Bengals, or even the powerhouse Steelers who also had black home jerseys. And it wasn't even game results...the Raiders smoked us 44-7 in our first regular season meeting, but after that the expansion 'Hawks had their number for some reason and won the next 4 games against them. The reason I feared the Raiders is (well, because I was a little kid), but mostly because they were mean and nasty and intimidating. So hell yeah, if there is ANY way to get Suh here in a way that can keep the team competitive for the foreseeable future, by all means make it happen.

Can you imagine being a QB making your presnap reads and looking across the line at Suh with Kam in the distance? They think we're classless because one of our guys pretends to crap in the end zone...wait until our opponents start doing it for reals.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
If we get Suh, Bennett and Avril will combine for 30 sacks IMO. I'm all in. Cut who you have to cut, restructure who you have to restructure and get this done. I think if he comes here we could make a run at 10 ppg allowed. Give this team Suh along with the pissed off feeling leftover from the SB and it's not hard to see what could happen.

DJrmb

Reaction score
The only way Suh becomes possible is by doing what another poster laid out above and cutting Mebane. You'd still have some more money to make up after that but that could be made up in a few different areas without really cutting another starter or main contributor. While I love Mebane and fully believe he'll be perfectly fine after he heals up...

Suh > Mebane

Suh is younger, better against the run than Mebane who ranked 14th in 2014 (Suh ranked 9th best DT against the run last year by PFF) but he brings a pocket collapsing presence like none other from the interior D-line (Ranked # 1 in pass rushing productivity for DT's by PFF)

There could be a way this could actually work out with the right structuring and some willingness to take a discount by Suh. It's really not as far fetched as it seems at first glance.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":if6a4hz9 said:
ManBunts":if6a4hz9 said:
Let me clarify: He IS a dirty player. How many guys has he stomped on? I don't want that. I don't want that disruption. I don't want to pay enormous amounts for that. ADDITIONALLY, I don't want our team to perceived that way. You can argue against any "jabroni" that makes a homer comment, but Suh DOES play dirty, so it's not longer a perception, it's reality and it reflects on the team. That's why it matters. But still, yes, is secondary to the fact that he IS a dirty player and WILL cost too much. There, I believe that meets your criteria.

How is this different than our players getting busted for PED's, screaming at Chris Carter/Deion Sanders or on the field cheap shots like Giacomini used to do all the time? (Or Irvin after the SB).

I hear what you're saying, but if you're going to pull the moral card there are more than a couple issues with our current crop of player's past that we all have seemed to gotten over that fall under the morality card.

I think that more than anything is he needs to be able to buy in to pete's philosophy and he needs to fit in the locker room... those two issues are more important to the success of the team, it even makes the money irrelevant in my mind because with out those to elements his great play means nothing on this team...

is he the right fit? I have no idea.... clearly he is scrappy and nasty... I have no problem with that and I could care less what other teams around the league say about the Hawks....

I think at a minimum If indeed Suh wants to be in Seattle, they need to talk with him... and if Pete thinks he can motivate this guy to be his best and Suh will buy in both mentally and financially it could be a great situation I mean its not as if he is not rich already? it would be devestaing to the other teams with Suh in the rotation! but just as important Suh would find a hell of a lot more satisfaction than just collecting a pay check on some dysfunctional team that is going no where.... lets see if he is smart enough to figure it out? If he is he will probably be a great player for Seattle....

I think his agent is working Detroit for more money..

LTH

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2nznwra4 said:
dumbrabbit":2nznwra4 said:
Offense wins games, defense wins championships.

Tell that to everyone gargling Tom Brady right now.

Er... it was a defensive play that won the championship. New England's guy made that play.
So defense does, and did, win championships. it was NE's defense winning against the Seattle offense that made the final difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.