Reports: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seafan

Reaction score
This was all a big joke. No need to get angry about it. The Hawks had no realistic chance at signing Suh and I'm sure PC and JS probably laughed at rumors like this.

TAB420

Reaction score
I think it's funny, that some think they know what's going on. One thing that I have learned since PC and JS have been in change is, I have no idea what their thinking.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Since John and Pete have been at the helm, I've come to expect the unexpected. Suh is no different. It wouldn't surprise me if they find a way to land him, and neither would it surprise me if they end up getting someone else we're not even talking about right now.

:snack:

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Hawks46":tihyetny said:
MysterMatt":tihyetny said:
I'll literally weep with joy if we somehow work a deal with Suh. Literally. That said, there are other guys hitting the market who'd certainly be a net positive at a better price. I'm thinking of guys like Paea. Assuming Mebane comes back to be his rock-steady self, an acquisition like that would work out quite nicely.

Oh, without a doubt guys like Paea and Melton would work in a rotation and be a hell of a lot cheaper, but Suh would be epic and the best case scenario for our defense. You could replace at least 2 guys with him to offset some of the cost.

In other words, I'm in total agreement with you. I wouldn't weep, but I could get drunk and beat my wife for kicks. Always a good time.
My wife knows kung fu. She can kick my bodyguard's ass.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
WarHawks":3tpvanqh said:
Since John and Pete have been at the helm, I've come to expect the unexpected. Suh is no different. It wouldn't surprise me if they find a way to land him, and neither would it surprise me if they end up getting someone else we're not even talking about right now.

:snack:

How about 'expect the expected.' He's gonna be a Dolphin.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Of the five main teams apparently in contention for Suh, it seems the Dolphins and the Raiders are the least likely. Anything that these two teams can offer can easily be trumped by other teams who can offer something more.

Both Seattle and Indianapolis can afford to match any offer that Miami can make, plus give him the opportunity to play for a proven contender. Indianapolis would have to bid a little more to offset taxes, but they have plenty of cap space to do so.

If the bidding heats up and he's only about the $$$, Jacksonville can trounce any offer made by Oakland due to the California tax hit.

If he is chasing stats, he will want to go to the AFC. Most likely AFC South so Colts/Phins.

If he wants to add another MVP QB notch to his belt (Brady), then the Phins are in like Flynn.

B6CyzfdIgAIQKMx.jpg

Unless he is after the panache of living in Miami or Seattle, or one of the teams' facilities etc are head and shoulders above the rest, I see him suiting up for the Colts next year. They can afford a bigger contract than Seattle or Miami. Hell, they probably can match Oakland or Jacksonville if they want. They offer him a chance to play for a proven contender. Their taxes aren't terrible and they can offset them with a higher contract. They give him a chance to pad his stats.

- bsd

Shock2k

Reaction score
Did anyone think we were going to get Bennett and Avril? And be able to retain both of them. I hold out hope for Suh. I think playing for the Seahawks now is getting up there with playing for the Patriots as a short term destination for free agent veterans.

Ok, with Lynch signing and Russell's contract about to put the lock down on free agency, he's probably going to a different team. I still hold out hope.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Maybe if this thread reaches 20 pages, Suh will see how much Hawk fans love him and take a massive pay cut to play here. </ sarcasm>

HawkerD

Reaction score
Hawks46":3c1xuz3i said:
Sgt. Largent":3c1xuz3i said:
MizzouHawkGal":3c1xuz3i said:
That's why we should give it our best shot to get him if he truly wants to play in Seattle. In my opinion he's a game changing type of player like Reggie White which means it would be worth doing pretty much whatever is possible to sign him.

But knowing how many teams have a lot of cap space and some of them contenders doesn't make me confident that we even have a serious chance at him because there's just no way he isn't going to get an insane amount of money in the amount we probably can't even get in the neighborhood of.

Here's a list of the highest paid DT's right now

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/defensive-tackle/

So by saying we need to do whatever is possible to sign Suh, you're willing to spend 18-20M a year on Suh? Cause that's about what his projected annual salary is gonna be once all these teams with tons of cap space start fighting over him.

Personally I'd love to have Suh, but not at 20M a year, that'd cripple our cap and crush our D-line depth. If the dude's willing to take 12-15M a year to play in Seattle? God love him, but that's a pipe dream.

Actually, if you look at the numbers, it's really not a pipe dream. If Oakland offered him 20 mil/year, but like Big Sky Doc says, you have 13.3% state income tax for CA, then 6% city tax for Oakland (I don't know what kind of drugs you have to be on to pay an EXTRA 6% in a crap hole like Oakland), that's 18% total. So, now you're at 16.4 mil/year after taxes.

If you could sign Suh for 12-15 mil/year like you theorized, that's a 2-3 mil/year difference. Now factor in the facilities, the fact that this is a premier destination for FA's that take less money to play for Pete, it's a young, winning program at the top and staying there, and Suh is from this area to begin with.........that doesn't sound so far fetched to me.

Seattle isn't a small market (7th largest media market in the country, ahead of places like Indy and Jax), has a much better quality of life than places like Oakland, and Suh has a chance to not only be on a great defense, but a historic defense that would put his name in the record books and probably cement a legacy.

It's not that far off, but could we afford him at even 15 mil/year and still sign Wagner and Wilson, and keep Lynch for at least a year ? If we could, I'd damn near sell out to do so.

keep in mind that you can write off state and local income taxes on your federal return so the hit is not as bad as you might think. also you only pay the state and local taxes on the games you play in those locales. When the hawks play in oakland, the california tax man comes a calling.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/12/sports/sp-jock-tax12

danbogart

Reaction score
Just got a notification from bleacher report that he's signing with the Dolphins.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
danbogart":25aucxjz said:
Just got a notification from bleacher report that he's signing with the Dolphins.

Haven't seen the tweet yet, but I've seen other people mentioned they got the tweet too. Can you post it if you find it?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2yaui4fc said:
danbogart":2yaui4fc said:

Haven't seen the tweet yet, but I've seen other people mentioned they got the tweet too. Can you post it if you find it?

There's nothing on the Bleacher Report twitter account and nothing on the Bleacher Report website. I think it might be a fake, or old news about the Dolphins being the front runners.

danbogart

Reaction score
I just got the notification on my phone from the bleacher report app. Looks like the info is from La Canfora and may be old. Sorry if I jumped the gun.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Deal is pretty much official per Schefter. To dolphins. $60M guaranteed. It would suprise me if the Hawks were in the running even the slightest bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.