Reports: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Can we just get the mods to delete this thread? He isn't coming here, and somehow this thread has more replies than any other thread.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":216hgyfn said:
Can we just get the mods to delete this thread? He isn't coming here, and somehow this thread has more replies than any other thread.

We should never delete threads as they contain valuable info & insight for the seahawks collective consciousness. ;)

Throwdown

Reaction score
hawksurething":9n2a94is said:
Hawk-Lock":9n2a94is said:

We should never delete threads as they contain valuable info & insight for the seahawks collective consciousness. ;)

When we get one, we sure as hell won't delete it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1wqso5uk said:
It will be easy enough to let it die a natural death next Tuesday since it's likely he'll be signed by some team at around 4:01pm EST. ;)

McGruff

Reaction score
Basis4day":i687ug33 said:
McGruff":i687ug33 said:
Sgt. Largent":i687ug33 said:
None of these guys are even close to the 2013 Depth of Clem, Red, McDonald, etc........that's the kind of line we need to get back to. Which is my point, I'd rather have that kind of depth than relying on rookies and guys like Hill who haven't proven they can stay healthy.

2013 Opening Day Roster - Chris Clemons, Brandon Mebane, Tony McDaniel, Red Bryant, Cliff Avril, O’Brian Schofield, D’Anthony Smith, Benson Mayowa, Jordan Hill, Michael Bennett.

Of those players, only Williams (IR) and Smith (PS) were not available for the Superbowl

2014 Opening Day Roster - Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Cassius Marsh, O’Brien Schofield, Brandon Mebane,, Kevin Williams, Tony McDaniel, Greg Scruggs, Jordan Hill

Of those players, Marsh, Mebane, Scruggs and Hill ended the season on IR. Williams was on the IR as well. Mid season we were recruiting guys out of car lots to play tackle. We were playing our FB at DE. We started the season with good depth, but it was quickly depleted . . . forcing starters to play more and leaving us thin when injuries happened in the SB. But the problem wasn't that we didn't have quality depth. Its that our quality depth was on the sideline in street clothes

The only place I consider the 2013 lineup stronger is having Avril coming off the bench.

I think you guys are arguing two separate things. Opening Day Depth v End of Season Depth.

No, he is saying our problem this year was that we let our depth at d line go. I am arguing that we didn't let it go, that it simply got hurt.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1uwdm5dg said:

He isn't coming here? Really?

Do you have a link for that?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
He mentioned in one statement that he would like to play for the Seahawks, and next thing you know 11 pages of talk. Notice how there has been no official mention of Suh to the Seahawks since. There has even been speculation that he wants to become the highest paid defensive player annually.

The funny thing is....if you go on about 10 other nfl team forums, they think they are getting him too.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":ubcg5umz said:
He mentioned in one statement that he would like to play for the Seahawks, and next thing you know 11 pages of talk. Notice how there has been no official mention of Suh to the Seahawks since. There has even been speculation that he wants to become the highest paid defensive player annually.

The funny thing is....if you go on about 10 other nfl team forums, they think they are getting him too.

Do you feel better?

Why don't you take your ball and go home.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":82f5s9tr said:

"Official mention?" What exactly is officially mention? And how is it different from "speculation?"

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":25396ynz said:

He's going to go somewhere and hasn't gone there yet. I can think of two posts in this 12 pages that contributed to nothing but lengthening the thread. It's a discussion worth having--get over yourself.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27032z7w said:
MizzouHawkGal":27032z7w said:
That's why we should give it our best shot to get him if he truly wants to play in Seattle. In my opinion he's a game changing type of player like Reggie White which means it would be worth doing pretty much whatever is possible to sign him.

But knowing how many teams have a lot of cap space and some of them contenders doesn't make me confident that we even have a serious chance at him because there's just no way he isn't going to get an insane amount of money in the amount we probably can't even get in the neighborhood of.

Here's a list of the highest paid DT's right now

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/defensive-tackle/

So by saying we need to do whatever is possible to sign Suh, you're willing to spend 18-20M a year on Suh? Cause that's about what his projected annual salary is gonna be once all these teams with tons of cap space start fighting over him.

Personally I'd love to have Suh, but not at 20M a year, that'd cripple our cap and crush our D-line depth. If the dude's willing to take 12-15M a year to play in Seattle? God love him, but that's a pipe dream.

Actually, if you look at the numbers, it's really not a pipe dream. If Oakland offered him 20 mil/year, but like Big Sky Doc says, you have 13.3% state income tax for CA, then 6% city tax for Oakland (I don't know what kind of drugs you have to be on to pay an EXTRA 6% in a crap hole like Oakland), that's 18% total. So, now you're at 16.4 mil/year after taxes.

If you could sign Suh for 12-15 mil/year like you theorized, that's a 2-3 mil/year difference. Now factor in the facilities, the fact that this is a premier destination for FA's that take less money to play for Pete, it's a young, winning program at the top and staying there, and Suh is from this area to begin with.........that doesn't sound so far fetched to me.

Seattle isn't a small market (7th largest media market in the country, ahead of places like Indy and Jax), has a much better quality of life than places like Oakland, and Suh has a chance to not only be on a great defense, but a historic defense that would put his name in the record books and probably cement a legacy.

It's not that far off, but could we afford him at even 15 mil/year and still sign Wagner and Wilson, and keep Lynch for at least a year ? If we could, I'd damn near sell out to do so.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1zmt5hh1 said:
Sgt. Largent":1zmt5hh1 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1zmt5hh1 said:
We wouldn't need the depth we require currently and the defense would be objectively better in the bargain.

I disagree with this. The biggest difference between the 2013 and 2014 Hawks was not starting talent, it was depth........and oh boy did our lack of depth show in the Super Bowl, ESPECIALLY on the D-line.

I'd rather get back to the 5-7 man defensive line rotation with no one playing more than 60% of the snaps. It helps with injuries and it helps with the players feeling strong down the stretch.
No you get one guy that can play ALL the snaps and have all your depth for your edge rushers. Which means you dump 3-4 players and focus on other areas of weakness which most likely means the offense or the defensive backfield (at least for a portion of the season if everythng goes worst case scenerio).

In a normal situation, I'd agree with Sgt Largent on this topic, as I agree. Thing is, it's not normal. You NEVER see guys with this talent get to the FA market, ever.

Suh has been remarkably durable during his career. The only games he's missed have been suspensions (another topic). He's also a 3 down player that doesn't show signs of wearing down at the end of games. You CAN replace quality depth at this position; have one guy behind him, and a guy like Bennett that can rotate over if need be. Then you can beef up depth at other areas that you need ,or you can stash guys in those areas that you want to develop (guys like Marsh).

Even if you don't play him every snap, his backup won't be playing much, so he'll likely stay healthy. You can afford to go thin at that position as long as you have a contingency plan in the unlikely even he gets hurt. When Suh gets older and you need to rotate him a bit, the cap has gone up and his salary isn't as bad, so you can afford to go with more depth at the position again.

Rat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3iqh76zx said:

This makes no sense. Why would there be "official mention" of it? The Lions are the only team that can talk to him right now. I don't doubt that there are hush hush conversations going on between other teams and Suh's people (I hope we're one of those teams), but those aren't going to be the subject of any official reporting.

As for the comment about other nil team forums: Suh is one of the best players to ever hit free agency. Off the top of my head, Peyton Manning and Reggie White are the only other guys even in that conversation. Why wouldn't many other team forums have long discussions regarding their hope of landing him?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Rat":tts0cv2e said:
Hawk-Lock":tts0cv2e said:

This makes no sense. Why would there be "official mention" of it? The Lions are the only team that can talk to him right now. I don't doubt that there are hush hush conversations going on between other teams and Suh's people (I hope we're one of those teams), but those aren't going to be the subject of any official reporting.

As for the comment about other nil team forums: Suh is one of the best players to ever hit free agency. Off the top of my head, Peyton Manning and Reggie White are the only other guys even in that conversation. Why wouldn't many other team forums have long discussions regarding their hope of landing him?

Peyton Manning and Reggie White? I can't believe you didn't mention Charlie Whitehurst.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Rat":13evl6zk said:
Hawk-Lock":13evl6zk said:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/573653729616003072[/tweet]

Rat

Reaction score
Seanhawk":q2vo0gjq said:
Rat":q2vo0gjq said:
Hawk-Lock":q2vo0gjq said:

Peyton Manning and Reggie White? I can't believe you didn't mention Charlie Whitehurst.

I meant other than the obvious.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":nhezhitn said:
Sgt. Largent":nhezhitn said:
MizzouHawkGal":nhezhitn said:
That's why we should give it our best shot to get him if he truly wants to play in Seattle. In my opinion he's a game changing type of player like Reggie White which means it would be worth doing pretty much whatever is possible to sign him.

But knowing how many teams have a lot of cap space and some of them contenders doesn't make me confident that we even have a serious chance at him because there's just no way he isn't going to get an insane amount of money in the amount we probably can't even get in the neighborhood of.

Here's a list of the highest paid DT's right now

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/defensive-tackle/

So by saying we need to do whatever is possible to sign Suh, you're willing to spend 18-20M a year on Suh? Cause that's about what his projected annual salary is gonna be once all these teams with tons of cap space start fighting over him.

Personally I'd love to have Suh, but not at 20M a year, that'd cripple our cap and crush our D-line depth. If the dude's willing to take 12-15M a year to play in Seattle? God love him, but that's a pipe dream.

Actually, if you look at the numbers, it's really not a pipe dream. If Oakland offered him 20 mil/year, but like Big Sky Doc says, you have 13.3% state income tax for CA, then 6% city tax for Oakland (I don't know what kind of drugs you have to be on to pay an EXTRA 6% in a crap hole like Oakland), that's 18% total. So, now you're at 16.4 mil/year after taxes.

If you could sign Suh for 12-15 mil/year like you theorized, that's a 2-3 mil/year difference. Now factor in the facilities, the fact that this is a premier destination for FA's that take less money to play for Pete, it's a young, winning program at the top and staying there, and Suh is from this area to begin with.........that doesn't sound so far fetched to me.

Seattle isn't a small market (7th largest media market in the country, ahead of places like Indy and Jax), has a much better quality of life than places like Oakland, and Suh has a chance to not only be on a great defense, but a historic defense that would put his name in the record books and probably cement a legacy.

It's not that far off, but could we afford him at even 15 mil/year and still sign Wagner and Wilson, and keep Lynch for at least a year ? If we could, I'd damn near sell out to do so.

Oakland's in the mix, but so are teams that reside in non state income tax states like Florida. Miami is rumored to be the biggest player for Suh, so while your math makes sense for this specific scenario, my guess is like every other free agent they'd only go to Oakland if the Raiders come in with an offer that's head and shoulders above everybody else.

Hyak

Reaction score
People are saying Miami is the front runner now but they currently have 10 M or so in cap space - granted they can create more space but it's just odd how they all of the sudden the favorites.

One guy to watch as a possible fit for the Seahawks if cut would be DT Randy Starks.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'll literally weep with joy if we somehow work a deal with Suh. Literally. That said, there are other guys hitting the market who'd certainly be a net positive at a better price. I'm thinking of guys like Paea. Assuming Mebane comes back to be his rock-steady self, an acquisition like that would work out quite nicely.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":2idvba9k said:
People are saying Miami is the front runner now but they currently have 10 M or so in cap space - granted they can create more space but it's just odd how they all of the sudden the favorites.

One guy to watch as a possible fit for the Seahawks if cut would be DT Randy Starks.

Yeah not sure how Miami frees up enough cap space for paying Suh 15-20M a year, unless they backload the hell out of contract.

I know they're shopping Wallace, but if they cut him his dead cap is still like 10M.

Status
Not open for further replies.