Reports: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Another angle to consider on this. While Suh has in the past said he likes the Hawks, this rumor from his camp could have an entirely different purpose.

Suh wants out of Detroit. His worst nightmare right now is a Lions franchise tag. The Lions will only apply the tag if they think there is a chance they can work a long term deal with him, no way do they actually want to retain him for just one more year.

Suh's representation leaking a rumor like this lets the Lions know this is not about the money. Even it is about the money. Suh may still want to break the bank, just not in Detroit. Seattle becomes the easy name drop, a team with a track record of below market deals and a known contender, a perfect way to say to the Lions Do Not Tag Me, or it will be a one year deal.

That is my cynical take. The Hawk fan in me wants to think Suh is enamored with Seattle, the realist in me knows another team will pay a lot more. One thing is clear to me, Suh has wanted out of Detroit for a few years now, and he is just about there. Convincing Detroit not to tag him is the biggest task he has right now.

Northhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3m8o5tzm said:
Another angle to consider on this. While Suh has in the past said he likes the Hawks, this rumor from his camp could have an entirely different purpose.

Suh wants out of Detroit. His worst nightmare right now is a Lions franchise tag. The Lions will only apply the tag if they think there is a chance they can work a long term deal with him, no way do they actually want to retain him for just one more year.

Suh's representation leaking a rumor like this lets the Lions know this is not about the money. Even it is about the money. Suh may still want to break the bank, just not in Detroit. Seattle becomes the easy name drop, a team with a track record of below market deals and a known contender, a perfect way to say to the Lions Do Not Tag Me, or it will be a one year deal.

That is my cynical take. The Hawk fan in me wants to think Suh is enamored with Seattle, the realist in me knows another team will pay a lot more. One thing is clear to me, Suh has wanted out of Detroit for a few years now, and he is just about there. Convincing Detroit not to tag him is the biggest task he has right now.

Of all the theories out there, this makes the most sense to me b/c it follows the show me principle.

How many times have we seen a player take a discount just to win a championship (which is what would have to happen here for Suh)? Not often, it's all about show me the money (which I can't blame players for).

Hyak

Reaction score
This time of year you cannot trust anybody - GM's, coaches, players, agents, and of course the MEDIA.

The first domino is whether the Lions tag Suh. That makes everything moot.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
JTB":1o8nxfk8 said:
This time of year you cannot trust anybody - GM's, coaches, players, agents, and of course the MEDIA.

Why wouldn't they?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2mfebf8o said:
JTB":2mfebf8o said:

Why wouldn't they?
Because the cap hit would be $36 million and the Lions only have $15 million in cap space

Erebus

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3hwh0f0q said:

I think we may be venturing too far down a rabbit hole with this speculation, but what reasons could he want out of Detroit that would be better on a losing team like Oakland or Jacksonville? If he wants out and doesn't care what they offer him, then it has to be about winning, IMO. And in that case, he really would like to play for us.

Upon further thought, I did realize one possible reason. Maybe he wants to be a star in a big market (I've heard this rumor before). But he would have to really not care about winning, because the only two big market teams that can afford him are the Jets and Bears.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Northhawk":bpn5vs27 said:
Scottemojo":bpn5vs27 said:

Of all the theories out there, this makes the most sense to me b/c it follows the show me principle.

How many times have we seen a player take a discount just to win a championship (which is what would have to happen here for Suh)? Not often, it's all about show me the money (which I can't blame players for).

I don't blame the players for wanting the maximum money possible while they can get it. What I have always taken issue with is them doing that while saying it isn't about the money.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Scottemojo":yr8nptax said:

I'm not entirely sure Suh would hate the idea of getting tagged again. He would make $26.9MM next season under the tag. That's more than half of what JJ Watt just received guaranteed ($52MM).

These players all have lucrative insurance policies should they get hurt an unable to play again, so that's not a concern. If Suh were to be tagged 3 years in a row at $26.9MM he'd be the highest paid player in the NFL, including quarterbacks.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo"]Another angle to consider on this. While Suh has in the past said he likes the Hawks, this rumor from his camp could have an entirely different purpose...Suh wants out of Detroit. His worst nightmare right now is a Lions franchise tag. The Lions will only apply the tag if they think there is a chance they can work a long term deal with him... Convincing Detroit not to tag him is the biggest task he has right now.[/quote]

Spot on. Lions shouldn't pay 36.6 mil for one year to Suh. But the Lions have said they are willing to Franchise him. I don't think anyone really believes them. Consider this snipet from the Washington Post...

"At some point, though, the Lions could be on the wrong side of the trend of teams spreading their salary cap to a higher number of top level players. For the $51.3 million the Lions committed to Suh, Johnson and Stafford in 2014, the Patriots endured the cap hits of quarterback Tom Brady, defensive tackle Vince Wilfork, linebacker Jerod Mayo, cornerback Darrelle Revis, tight end Rob Gronkowski, safety Devin McCourty and had $4.1 million to spare."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fanc ... ukong-suh/

The Lions were close, but they were still a piece or two away from the Super Bowl even with Suh. Nick Fairley is out the door this year too. Consider the Lions cap in 2016, Megatron, Stafford and Golden Tate count as almost $53 million. That doesn't even include Suh. They have cap issues, but they still hold the cards with Suh and they could decide to make some cuts. We'll see. We all thought the initial rumors about signing both Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril a couple of years ago were beyond belief, but two Super Bowl appearances later...

chet380

Reaction score
nwHawk -- "...Nick Fairley is out the door this year too...."

In that Fairley was such a dominating college player, why has he failed to perform at the same level in the NFL?

Is he a possible addition at a cheap price? Can he be coached-up to his previous level?

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
torontoseahawk":utnu22s2 said:
Hey in the end of the day we did win the super bowl with Percy

This is how I look at it. It's not as if Percy harvin cost us the Super Bowl either year. He was obviously a bad decision financially, and he cost us some good picks, but you can't do any better as a team than a Super Bowl berth. Either way, Percy didn't cost us 49. He was around, and now he's not.

Rat

Reaction score
lukerguy":166u3fed said:
I'm not entirely sure Suh would hate the idea of getting tagged again. He would make $26.9MM next season under the tag. That's more than half of what JJ Watt just received guaranteed ($52MM).
It's a nice consolation prize, but on the other hand, if Suh gets tagged, he goes back into free agency next year as a 29 year old DT, which could scare some teams away. It'd be even worse if he were to get injured next season. The longer the tag game goes on, the more difficult it becomes to get a lucrative long-term deal. Not to mention that it constantly becomes a distraction, for both the team and the player.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Erebus":1qkvhzkh said:
Scottemojo":1qkvhzkh said:

I think we may be venturing too far down a rabbit hole with this speculation, but what reasons could he want out of Detroit that would be better on a losing team like Oakland or Jacksonville? If he wants out and doesn't care what they offer him, then it has to be about winning, IMO. And in that case, he really would like to play for us.

Upon further thought, I did realize one possible reason. Maybe he wants to be a star in a big market (I've heard this rumor before). But he would have to really not care about winning, because the only two big market teams that can afford him are the Jets and Bears.
Have you been to Detroit? Half that place is damn near third world. I have been there, not wanting to spend another year there would have me saying damn near anything. Besides, my point was saying it is all about winning is a ploy with Detroit management. Is it the most important thing to him? We'll find out when he signs.
Oakland would at least put him close to home.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1wdnhwlz said:
Erebus":1wdnhwlz said:
Scottemojo":1wdnhwlz said:

Have you been to Detroit? Half that place is damn near third world. I have been there, not wanting to spend another year there would have me saying damn near anything. Besides, my point was saying it is all about winning is a ploy with Detroit management. Is it the most important thing to him? We'll find out when he signs.
Oakland would at least put him close to home.

Well, St. Louis is pretty close to Detroit if he chooses the Raiders. (kidding!).

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I am seriously getting anxious for FA to start to see what rabbit P&J pull out of the hat. lol.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Bitter":31ixbcv2 said:
I don't blame the players for wanting the maximum money possible while they can get it. What I have always taken issue with is them doing that while saying it isn't about the money.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Suh wants out of Detroit for reasons that are not in fact about the money.

That leaves three options:

Sign elsewhere
Sign with Detroit
Retire

Let's explore:

If he wants out of Detroit, he's probably got some places in mind where he wants to go. He'll visit them and see who wants to pay him the most. Does this go against it not being about the money? No, because he leaves Detroit which was his non-monetary goal. The fact he took the best deal elsewhere is merely not being an idiot.

He's too young and valuable in the league to retire, so I think it's safe to rule that one out. However, it would definitely be a statement that not wanting to be n Detroit is definitely not about the money.

That leaves the unlikely scenario of staying in Detroit. This would only happen is Detroit threw money at him that would be too stupid for him to refuse. Even at this, I would suggest his reasons for wanting out of Detroit were not about the money, but not quite enough to be not about ridiculous amounts of money.

I still think that's fair for a guy who says it's not about the money - many of us would do things we wouldn't otherwise do if we had sufficient monetary incentive and it was not against laws or morals. Would you move to Nome, Alaska for 4 years for $30 million? I would. Point me to the parkas and polar-bear-repellent.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I"m not sure, but I maybe missing something here.
Haven't the Lions already come out and say they will give him the franchise tag?

jblaze

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2x8omsge said:
I"m not sure, but I maybe missing something here.
Haven't the Lions already come out and say they will give him the franchise tag?

Franchise tag would be 22.7m. That's not going to happen. They hope to have something done before then but if not, FA here he comes.

That said, he will take an overinflated contract from Oakland for 17m in the end.

He's not coming to Seattle. I wish people would stop with the fantasy free agency on every single player every single year. Haven't we proven that we're paying our own now and not going outside? There's how many teams via'ing for how many players?

By the way, as it should be. We will not get Suh but maybe get a few guys (Paea, Williams, etc) to fill the role and we'll be better in the long road given depth and base/nickel packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts