Richard Sherman threatens to 'ruin' rep of reporter

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sherm was wrong for being disruptive during the game. He likely got a good chewing out in the woodshed from PC early the next morning, and went to apologize to Bevell on Monday.

And then on Tuesday when he came off all 'no regrets at all' to the media it was too tempting a target for one Jim Moore, who was able to easily get under Sherm's skin by questioning him on the central point: Did he really have any place questioning his OC on that (let alone any other) playcall.

Sherm was wrong, was an even easier target because of his blatantly non-contrite persona on Tuesday but: Moore didn't need to, as Sherm said, 'go there.' Who did it help?

StoneCold

Reaction score
fenderbender123":x9njj447 said:
StoneCold":x9njj447 said:
fenderbender123":x9njj447 said:
Sgt. Largent":x9njj447 said:
It's obvious Sherman has contempt for the media

This is why I don't really mind when people piss off the media....I'm with Sherman...the media is constantly trying to conjur up stories out of nothing, they take quotes out of context, write misleading headlines, etc. And they do this every week, consistently. IMO, that's all much worse than somebody threatening to ruin their career by having their pass revoked. In other words, if you're gonna piss people off, expect them to piss you off right back. Two wrongs don't make a right, but there is really no "right" to make out of the situation.

It's all just entertainment...the difference is that Sherman is providing real quality entertainment, whereas an article revolving around a new quote from Sherman about his altercation with Bevell is just plain garbage.

The article might be moore worthwhile if Sherman would just give a straight answer.

I don't know...I see it as all garbage. What happened on the sideline? None of us know, and none of us will ever know. If Sherman tells the press something about it, then all we know then is just what Sherman happened to tell the press about it, which may not be true, and if it is true it probably isn't anywhere near the whole truth, so drawing any sort of meaningful conclusion out of it would be impossible.

What you say could be applied to all press coverage. Do you think it's all garbage and none of it can be trusted, or worth reading?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hawks46":vkz8z91v said:
McGruff":vkz8z91v said:
SpokaneHawks":vkz8z91v said:
Last season Sherman kept rather quiet, yet still kept making big time plays on the field. I missed the boisterous Sherman with the bravado, getting into receivers heads and faces. That's what got him his recognition and name to go along with his play. I feel like he saw himself on TV after the championship game or somebody sat him down and encouraged him to tone it down a bit and let your play talk. Then, this season the wheels have sort of fallen off. Really when I think about it the whole skip Bayless thing a few years ago to me was just as juvenile as his antics recently! "I'm better at life than you"? Come on that's lame, but we all thought it was funny. Well this season the antics are growing old, it's a Sherman rant every week it seems. Why? Regression, homelife, something in the locker room, being reminded of the SB play non-stop, feeling like the window is closing and knowing he was a Lynch run away from 2 titles, conflict with coaches? What is it?

See this has me thinking.

Sherman is a smart guy. Brilliant actually. And after the fact it was revealed that it was a calculated effort on his part to get the national media to pay attention to Seattle. It was marketing strate to push the buttons of the press.

Later it came out that the same was true of his antics toward opposing pkayers. He was trying to get into theIR heads. It was all calculated to elicit a response.

I think this is more of the same. I think Sherman is playing minds games with his offensive teammates to motivate them. To piss them off enough to get tough. I think this is purely psychological by Sherman.

That's a quality point. I didn't think about it from the angle that Sherman is poking the offense with a stick through the media.

If this were true why let Moore get under his skin?

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I love Jim Moore but I'm not sure that this was particularly appropriate interviewing. Piss poor reaction from Sherman too, but hey, you can forgive a guy for snapping from time to time when confronted with the irritating ish they come up against..

MrThortan

Reaction score
I had a long spew of words typed out. Disappointed in Sherman.

Seymour

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2srjoty9 said:
Sherm was wrong for being disruptive during the game. He likely got a good chewing out in the woodshed from PC early the next morning, and went to apologize to Bevell on Monday.

And then on Tuesday when he came off all 'no regrets at all' to the media it was too tempting a target for one Jim Moore, who was able to easily get under Sherm's skin by questioning him on the central point: Did he really have any place questioning his OC on that (let alone any other) playcall.

Sherm was wrong, was an even easier target because of his blatantly non-contrite persona on Tuesday but: Moore didn't need to, as Sherm said, 'go there.' Who did it help?

You should listen to the press conference. Sherm said he never apologized, doesn't plan to and that was pretty much confirmed by Bevell as well. Pete said he was satisfied with his response, but also never said he apologized, and to me that is pretty telling about where this stands. A smoldering fire waiting for the wind to blow....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
fenderbender123":35bjmtpg said:
Sgt. Largent":35bjmtpg said:

This is why I don't really mind when people piss off the media....I'm with Sherman...the media is constantly trying to conjur up stories out of nothing, they take quotes out of context, write misleading headlines, etc. And they do this every week, consistently. IMO, that's all much worse than somebody threatening to ruin their career by having their pass revoked. In other words, if you're gonna piss people off, expect them to piss you off right back. Two wrongs don't make a right, but there is really no "right" to make out of the situation.

It's all just entertainment...the difference is that Sherman is providing real quality entertainment, whereas an article revolving around a new quote from Sherman about his altercation with Bevell is just plain garbage.

I mind when it's unwarranted.

Maybe Moore was a little snide with his question, but there was some truth there. Sherman was up at the podium acting like he did nothing wrong, even doubling down on him not being sorry and having every right to call out Bevell on the sideline.

I don't respect any person for talking down to people doing their job........and athletes do that all the time. "You guys don't know what it's like to be us, you've never played, blah blah blah............so stop asking these insulting questions."

Is it too much for us to ask for players to just treat everyone with some respect? No need to talk down to, belittle or in this case threaten a reporter just cause you're pissed off at having to answer the question. A simple "not going to answer that, I spoke personally with Pete and Darrell and we'll leave it at that."

Is that too hard? Hell, Belichick's made a career out of it. "next question, moving on."

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Seymour":c480btzf said:
LeftHandSmoke":c480btzf said:

You should listen to the press conference. Sherm said he never apologized, doesn't plan to and that was pretty much confirmed by Bevell as well. Pete said he was satisfied with his response, but also never said he apologized, and to me that is pretty telling about where this stands. A smoldering fire waiting for the wind to blow....
Regardless how the parties sugarcoated things, what do you imagine the purpose was for him meeting with PC and then DB? To share soppy family Christmas photos?

It was good to hear Cable take a Q on it yesterday - He apologized because had absolutely no clue what the heck reporter was asking about!

Seymour

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2xouc1vl said:
Seymour":2xouc1vl said:
LeftHandSmoke":2xouc1vl said:

Regardless how the parties sugarcoated things, what do you imagine the purpose was for him meeting with PC and then DB? To share soppy family Christmas photos?

It was good to hear Cable take a Q on it yesterday - He apologized because had absolutely no clue what the heck reporter was asking about!

Cute, but no.
Obviously an attempt to repair the relationship to the point of functioning together was the goal. Bevell himself said that "he will never convince Sherm of anything" today. What does that tell you....anything?

Everything spells smoldering fire IMO.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
^ And when asked if he thinks any player should be trying to question calls during a game, Bevell answered a direct "No. No I dont."

That Cable had no clue about any of it suggests the private talks between PC and DB, with Sherm, were kept that way.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
StoneCold":kad3kvqa said:
What you say could be applied to all press coverage. Do you think it's all garbage and none of it can be trusted, or worth reading?

For the most part, yeah. That's why I ignore most of it. Reading an article about Sherman yelling at a coach on the sidelines is a waste of time when I can just watch the video of it happening myself if I was actually interested in it. I don't need to hear some journalist's opinion and speculation on the matter.

Just look at what most media is these days...it's mostly them writing stories over things people have said. It's laughable. A politician said this, or a sports player said that...so let's write a story about what they said? Sorry, but the facts are just what the person said. Show me the video or audio tape where somebody said something, and I'll listen and make a judgment myself. There's nothing of substance that anyone can add by writing a story about it.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":topzy9f5 said:
fenderbender123":topzy9f5 said:
Sgt. Largent":topzy9f5 said:

I mind when it's unwarranted.

Maybe Moore was a little snide with his question, but there was some truth there. Sherman was up at the podium acting like he did nothing wrong, even doubling down on him not being sorry and having every right to call out Bevell on the sideline.

I don't respect any person for talking down to people doing their job........and athletes do that all the time. "You guys don't know what it's like to be us, you've never played, blah blah blah............so stop asking these insulting questions."

Is it too much for us to ask for players to just treat everyone with some respect? No need to talk down to, belittle or in this case threaten a reporter just cause you're pissed off at having to answer the question. A simple "not going to answer that, I spoke personally with Pete and Darrell and we'll leave it at that."

Is that too hard? Hell, Belichick's made a career out of it. "next question, moving on."

There is nothing in life that is really "warranted". Moore, and any other member of the press, does not have to be up there asking questions that piss off athletes, just so they can manufacture a flimsy, meaningless story out of press conference quotes that will likely be taken out of context.

chris98251

Reaction score
Next press conference Sherman should state I am here so I don't get fined, repeat ,repeat, repeat, exit stage, this way the would be journalists can now go and say Sherman is uncooperative and is anti Media.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":19b3o4dc said:
Next press conference Sherman should state I am here so I don't get fined, repeat ,repeat, repeat, exit stage, this way the would be journalists can now go and say Sherman is uncooperative and is anti Media.

Yeah, Sherman should go to the opposite extreme of being a jerk.

That makes sense.

:sarcasm_off:

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3n2kjw2r said:
chris98251":3n2kjw2r said:

Yeah, Sherman should go to the opposite extreme of being a jerk.

That makes sense.

:sarcasm_off:

Well if piss ant antagonists are going to try to instigate stuff then yes, he can choose who he responds to.

Also if your looking at athletes that come from challenging backgrounds where there is a code that you don't cross to be moral compasses then maybe people who do should look at other professions, like Politics where everyone tells the truth and they don't rant, or religion where everyone is a saint.

Really what I am saying we have no unblemished Hero's anymore, expecting that is a certain let down in todays culture, Skeletons are everywhere.

If this was New York this topic would have fallen off the first page 10 hrs after it was started.

Seymour

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":pajvmb7d said:
^ And when asked if he thinks any player should be trying to question calls during a game, Bevell answered a direct "No. No I dont."

That Cable had no clue about any of it suggests the private talks between PC and DB, with Sherm, were kept that way.

I'm not questioning any of that. I'm only questioning that Sherm apologized to Bevell according to you when nothing supports that statement.

In Sherms mind, no regrets, did nothing wrong, don't throw from the 1 and we'll be fine.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Seymour":3lm6ygl4 said:
LeftHandSmoke":3lm6ygl4 said:

I'm not questioning any of that. I'm only questioning that Sherm apologized to Bevell according to you when nothing supports that statement.

In Sherms mind, no regrets, did nothing wrong, don't throw from the 1 and we'll be fine.
Listen to Bennett's presser today. When asked about Sherm's actions he sprinkled into his answer a lot about 'when someone does something wrong you should just let them apologize in their own way instead of trying to instigate unnecessary unhappiness.' Keyword: Wrong.

cymatica

Reaction score
kobebryant":1b99hoy8 said:
I'm not a fan of Jim Moore, so I'm glad one of the athletes stood up to his BS.

He's been condescending towards, and developed hostility with Marshawn Lynch, Gary Payton, and Doug Baldwin before Sherm... guys who a lot of people like and are able to carry good relationships with.

Heck, during the same presser today, compare the way Danny O'neil was able to ask questions without being condescending or looking for a reaction.

The locker room as whole is probably pretty pissed with Moore for laughing at an unconscious Jon Ryan; so they're not interested in his BS anymore and are sticking up for each other.

From Ryan's Fiance (wife?), this would not go over well with the players:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sarahcolonna/status/811435937326469120[/tweet]

He comes across as a guy that should be on East Coast radio and probably wants the nickname Mad Dog in the Morning or something. That show would be better without him; Danny has the insight from his cordial relationships with the players, and Wyman brings the football knowledge of a former player, I'm not sure that Moore brings anything aside from being a grumpy curmudgeon.

Anyone who wanted a pic or laughed at it of Ryan losing the fumble is guilty too. Tell me the funny look on his face didn't cross your mind when you saw the replay in slow mo. Of course no one wanted him to be hurt, but it was funny at the same time when you see him butterfinger it.

Latest posts