Rodgers hmm... choice words

dunceface

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3o50urcl said:
Learn that winning a football game is NOT an act of God.
Hawkfan77":3o50urcl said:
joeseahawks":3o50urcl said:
Agree with Rodgers ... why do players always bring God into sport ... is just beyond me.
God has NOTHING to do with winning or losing a football game. Hope Russell learns from this.
Learns what?

Lol wut

Hawkpower

Reaction score
ludakrishna":12c2klux said:
Good for him. He has the right to say whatever he wants. If we don't like it, then shut him up by beating him. Fire Bevell

He whines, cries and talks smack when he loses too. Beating him doesnt shut him up.

But again, Russ says stupid stuff, so some of this is to be expected, especially when vagina Rodgers gets his opportunity.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2rpm3n1h said:
Green Bay Packers > Seattle Seahawks

you better go buy partial ownership quick then!

Me? I'll wait for the whole season before I crown them.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think people might be missing the subtext of Rodger's "I think God was a Packer fan tonight."

The key piece of info is that Rodgers is a really, really devout Christian.

Two key quotes from Rodgers in the past that exposes what's going on here:

“I like the saying from St. Francis of Assisi, ‘Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words.’ I try to live my life in a way that reflects my faith in the Lord. I don’t like to get in peoples’ faces. The best way for me is: Let your actions talk about your beliefs, start a relationship with others, then finally there is a chance for questions.”

Reading a question from a listener of the show, Wilde noted: "[The reader] says, 'I always find it a little off-putting when athletes, actors and anybody says, 'This is what God wanted,' or 'I want to thank God for helping us win today,' anything along those lines when a game or award is won. I'm paraphrasing here, but you get the gist. Personally, with all the chaos in the world, I'm not sure God really cares about the outcome of a game or an awards show. What do you think of statements such as these? You've obviously got your faith. Does what happens on Sunday impact your relationship with God or your faith at all?"

Rodgers quickly responded: "I agree with her. I don't think God cares a whole lot about the outcome. He cares about the people involved, but I don't think he's a big football fan."

Both of these quotes came after Wilson suggested that God was on the Seahawks' side on the NFCCG last year.

Basically, Rodgers' comment IS DEFINITELY a shot at Wilson, but it's because Rodgers finds Wilson constantly witnessing all the time to be un-Christlike and distasteful. As a fellow Christian he basically thinks Wilson's constant public hammering about his faith is corny, self-centered, unproductive, and un-godlike.

I'm not saying Rodgers is RIGHT (I'm non-practicing but Jewish, and don't really care either way), but that's what's going on here. He's making fun of Wilson for witnessing all the time and for crediting God with trivial things like football wins and losses.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":2fq4zgkk said:
seahawk12thman":2fq4zgkk said:

Perhaps you aren't watching? We have an aging running back that is showing wear and tear. A very overrated QB who has been exposed, getting worked by a less than average D. What is going to change?

JimmyG

Reaction score
Popeyejones":8yyo6n1m said:
I think people might be missing the subtext of Rodger's "I think God was a Packer fan tonight."

“I like the saying from St. Francis of Assisi, ‘Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words.’ I try to live my life in a way that reflects my faith in the Lord. I don’t like to get in peoples’ faces. The best way for me is: Let your actions talk about your beliefs, start a relationship with others, then finally there is a chance for questions.”

Reading a question from a listener of the show, Wilde noted: "[The reader] says, 'I always find it a little off-putting when athletes, actors and anybody says, 'This is what God wanted,' or 'I want to thank God for helping us win today,' anything along those lines when a game or award is won. I'm paraphrasing here, but you get the gist. Personally, with all the chaos in the world, I'm not sure God really cares about the outcome of a game or an awards show. What do you think of statements such as these? You've obviously got your faith. Does what happens on Sunday impact your relationship with God or your faith at all?"

Rodgers quickly responded: "I agree with her. I don't think God cares a whole lot about the outcome. He cares about the people involved, but I don't think he's a big football fan."

Both of these quotes came after Wilson suggested that God was on the Seahawks' side on the NFCCG last year.

Basically, Rodgers' comment IS DEFINITELY a shot at Wilson, but it's because Rodgers finds Wilson constantly witnessing all the time to be un-Christlike and distasteful. As a fellow Christian he basically thinks Wilson's constant public hammering about his faith is corny, self-centered, unproductive, and un-godlike.

I'm not saying Rodgers is RIGHT (I'm non-practicing but Jewish, and don't really care either way), but that's what's going on here. He's making fun of Wilson for witnessing all the time and for crediting God with trivial things like football wins and losses.
Great summary.

I thought it was a funny job at Wilson; let's face it, some of the stuff Wilson says off the field is pretty cringeworthy ("this water helped cure my concussion", "God wanted me to throw 4 interceptions, to make the game winner that much better in the NFCCG", etc...). He's a great person with an incredibly benevolent personality, but sometimes I wish he'd just stop talking.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2yzsejib said:
So no matter what Lord Rodgers says, it's funny. Whatever Wilson says is stupid. :?
Pretty much.

2_0_6

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2g79lnmg said:
NJSeaHawk":2g79lnmg said:
seahawk12thman":2g79lnmg said:

A very overrated QB who has been exposed

Please share on how you think he has been exposed? Aside from a bad INT yesterday, he looked like he was giving the Packers for a good chunk of the game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2sbyeevv said:
SoulfishHawk":2sbyeevv said:
So no matter what Lord Rodgers says, it's funny. Whatever Wilson says is stupid. :?
Pretty much.

Um, who said that where, now?

The above is the summary of a post (not my own) that said: 1) THIS comment from Rodgers was funny and 2) despite Wilson being an awesome guy he SOMETIMES says cringeworthy stuff. Really?

Woah nelly on the mischaracterization to get to the victim complex, guys. :D :

FWIW What I think is going on more generally isn't a good fit for this forum. Happy to discuss it in the appropriate forum, though.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Throwdown":q8py16de said:
Rodgers is still the first ever female to play in the NFL, give the girl some credit

His boyfriend would be upset you call him a girl. :34853_tinfoil:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2ac4iek5 said:

Um, yeah. We knew that. Every post here has acknowledged that he was taking a shot at Wilson and we think its funny because Wilson is weird and probably deserves it.

Doesn't take away from the fact that Rodgers is a douche for taking the opportunity.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1uzo2jq2 said:

Where did Wilson say that God favored the Seahawks? He didn't.

Context is missing in these remarks regarding Wilson's devotion. For someone that believes God knows all, it's more a reflection of his faith in God's all knowing. He views setbacks as tests of his faith (in himself, etc) and success as affirmation of his belief. It's less about God wanting the Hawks to win than it is that everything which happens is according to God's will. Course media pundits, other teams' fans, and non-Christians will pick apart the comment. Two different Christians who approach their faith differently (liberal private vs more evangelical). I'm agnostic and even I can see this.

So yeah, Rogers is being petty by throwing this out there.....especially as a Christian.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3rr7jh2k said:
Who cares. It's all playful, nothing hurtful. I have no problem with this.

Bingo.

Rodgers is just vocalizing what the league thinks of Russell, they roll their eyes when he goes into his God Squad mumbo jumbo, so he took a shot at him. I thought it was funny.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
lobohawk":30cik62z said:
Where did Wilson say that God favored the Seahawks? He didn't.

You're right. He said God had him throw four interceptions so that his win would be more dramatic. You're of course right about what saying this means from his own perspective, but absolutely wrong in dismissing that it's obviously a silly thing to say to many non-Christians and Christians alike.

lobohawk":30cik62z said:
Context is missing in these remarks regarding Wilson's devotion. For someone that believes God knows all, it's more a reflection of his faith in God's all knowing. He views setbacks as tests of his faith (in himself, etc) and success as affirmation of his belief. It's less about God wanting the Hawks to win than it is that everything which happens is according to God's will. Course media pundits, other teams' fans, and non-Christians will pick apart the comment. Two different Christians who approach their faith differently (liberal private vs more evangelical). I'm agnostic and even I can see this.

So yeah, Rogers is being petty by throwing this out there.....especially as a Christian.

I think you're missing the forest for the trees. You're basically agreeing with my post while framing it as a disagreement.

As for Christianity-litmus tests on if Rodgers is being a "good" Christian or not when making this comment, seriously, why even bother going there? Two non-Christians on a football forum treating Christianity as monolothic in order to define what being a "good" Christian means is just ridiculous.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3fuzxqqy said:
Um, yeah. We knew that. Every post here has acknowledged that he was taking a shot at Wilson and we think its funny because Wilson is weird and probably deserves it.

Because Rodgers doesn't witness and testify all the time I thought some people might not know that he's also extremely devout in his Christian faith, which is what motivated my post.

If someone doesn't know that about Rodgers they'd read his comment as a pretty hollow potshot after a game, rather than one laden with a lot of subtext, as it was.

If everyone already knew this about Rodgers nobody had alluded to it when I posted, which is why I did (i.e. he wasn't taking a shot at Wilson because Wilson is "weird" or just because he's petty, he was taking a shot at Wilson as a fellow Christian because they have VERY different interpretations of what it means to be Christlike).