Rodgers hmm... choice words

El Caliente

Reaction score
I wouldn't read to much into it.

When GB beat the Saints in 2011, Rodgers mocked the Saints (who held voluntary practices during the strike) by saying "All that extra practice sure helped."

The guy is just trolling, so don't get upset. He is having fun.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":e0t3rsak said:
lobohawk":e0t3rsak said:
Where did Wilson say that God favored the Seahawks? He didn't.

You're right. He said God had him throw four interceptions so that his win would be more dramatic. You're of course right about what saying this means from his own perspective, but absolutely wrong in dismissing that it's obviously a silly thing to say to many non-Christians and Christians alike.

lobohawk":e0t3rsak said:
Context is missing in these remarks regarding Wilson's devotion. For someone that believes God knows all, it's more a reflection of his faith in God's all knowing. He views setbacks as tests of his faith (in himself, etc) and success as affirmation of his belief. It's less about God wanting the Hawks to win than it is that everything which happens is according to God's will. Course media pundits, other teams' fans, and non-Christians will pick apart the comment. Two different Christians who approach their faith differently (liberal private vs more evangelical). I'm agnostic and even I can see this.

So yeah, Rogers is being petty by throwing this out there.....especially as a Christian.

I think you're missing the forest for the trees. You're basically agreeing with my post while framing it as a disagreement.

As for Christianity-litmus tests on if Rodgers is being a "good" Christian or not when making this comment, seriously, why even bother going there? Two non-Christians on a football forum treating Christianity as monolothic in order to define what being a "good" Christian means is just ridiculous.

If you can't see that Rogers had been holding that comment since last season, then you also can't see it as petty and childish. He not only misrepresented what Wilson was saying, he also used faith as a way to make a personal dig. Thus it doesn't appear Christian in behavior....not that he's a bad Christian. Nice try conflating what I said with something else (getting to be a habit).

Yeah it seems silly. I only commented, as I get tired of people making noise about comments out of context and then treating them as fact.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
El Caliente":3r46fk4r said:
I wouldn't read to much into it.

When GB beat the Saints in 2011, Rodgers mocked the Saints (who held voluntary practices during the strike) by saying "All that extra practice sure helped."

The guy is just trolling, so don't get upset. He is having fun.

If he was happy go lucky all the time I might buy this theory.

The guy is petty and petulant all the time. What he said was funny, but it was not said as a good natured jab. It was a snarky, sarcastic dig, and he was just dying to cut it loose.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
lobohawk":2st73dz3 said:
If you can't see that Rogers had been holding that comment since last season, then you also can't see it as petty and childish.

The point was that in instance I think there was a lot more subtext to it than simple pettiness and childishness. Whatever though.*

He not only misrepresented what Wilson was saying, he also used faith as a way to make a personal dig.

Yeah, I get that from Wilson's (and increasingly, seemingly, yours, all crypto-Christian nonsense aside) perspective he misrepresented what Wilson was saying, but he's already gone on record explaining how his expression of his devotion differs from Wilsons, which this comment was an expression of. You simply can't have it both ways: he EITHER was making a personal dig and WASN'T using his faith to do so, or wasn't simply making a personal dig and WAS using his faith to do so. It can't be both or half of one and half of the other.

Thus it doesn't appear Christian in behavior....not that he's a bad Christian. Nice try conflating what I said with something else (getting to be a habit).

You'd prefer un-Christian in behavior to "bad Christian"? Fine by me. It doesn't change my point at all that evoking litmus tests over some imgained and monolithic proper Christian behavior on a football messageboard is really silly. To use your own words, it's either petty and childish, or it has more subtext and meaning (the downside being that the latter would make you a crypto-Christian).

Yeah it seems silly. I only commented, as I get tired of people making noise about comments out of context and then treating them as fact.

Fair enough, my basic argument still stands though that 1) to treat Rodgers' comment as merely shallow and childish is to actually take HIS comment out of its likely context and 2) from Rodgers' perspective as a devout Christian he hasn't taken Wilson out of context, and actually has a bone to pick with the Wilsons and Tebows of the world and how they express their devout faith.

*I have to say it, though: a Hawks fan who ostensibly roots for guys like Sherman, Baldwin, Kearse, etc. getting all twisted up over what they perceive to a be a sore-winner pot-shot is friggin' hilarious (unless of course you have condemned all of them too, of course). .

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3uluwm4q said:
lobohawk":3uluwm4q said:
If you can't see that Rogers had been holding that comment since last season, then you also can't see it as petty and childish.

The point was that in instance I think there was a lot more subtext to it than simple pettiness and childishness. Whatever though.*

He not only misrepresented what Wilson was saying, he also used faith as a way to make a personal dig.

Yeah, I get that from Wilson's (and increasingly, seemingly, yours, all crypto-Christian nonsense aside) perspective he misrepresented what Wilson was saying, but he's already gone on record explaining how his expression of his devotion differs from Wilsons, which this comment was an expression of. You simply can't have it both ways: he EITHER was making a personal dig and WASN'T using his faith to do so, or wasn't simply making a personal dig and WAS using his faith to do so. It can't be both or half of one and half of the other.

Thus it doesn't appear Christian in behavior....not that he's a bad Christian. Nice try conflating what I said with something else (getting to be a habit).

You'd prefer un-Christian in behavior to "bad Christian"? Fine by me. It doesn't change my point at all that evoking litmus tests over some imgained and monolithic proper Christian behavior on a football messageboard is really silly. To use your own words, it's either petty and childish, or it has more subtext and meaning (the downside being that the latter would make you a crypto-Christian).

Fair enough, my basic argument still stands though that 1) to treat Rodgers' comment as merely shallow and childish is to actually take HIS comment out of its likely context and 2) from Rodgers' perspective as a devout Christian he hasn't taken Wilson out of context, and actually has a bone to pick with the Wilsons and Tebows of the world and how they express their devout faith.

*I have to say it, though: a Hawks fan who ostensibly roots for guys like Sherman, Baldwin, Kearse, etc. getting all twisted up over what they perceive to a be a sore-winner pot-shot is friggin' hilarious (unless of course you have condemned all of them too, of course). .

Kearse? Did I miss something he said?

Baldwin gets angry at CBS analysts.....havent heard him take petty shots at other players.

Sherman talks trash to other trash talkers, he doesn't take pot shots at weird, but innocent religious comments.

failing to see the correlation.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
For all the media love for him, he is just a poor winner as loser. I hate his face. At least Russ takes losses and wins graciously. Rodgers is just a spoiled player still mad about where he was drafted. You are arguably the best QB in the Nfl, won a SB bad have millions. Act like it for a change.

lobohawk

Reaction score

case one:
Wilson makes a general comment about God. Not attacking anyone or trying to make a point, just speaking out with his faith regarding how things turned out.

case two:
Rogers makes a specific comment about God directed specifically at Wilson, as a response or dig.

You have to stretch to say Rogers' comment is some sort of Christian faith push back.

*I have to say it, though: a Hawks fan who ostensibly roots for guys like Sherman, Baldwin, Kearse, etc. getting all twisted up over what they perceive to a be a sore-winner pot-shot is friggin' hilarious (unless of course you have condemned all of them too, of course). .[/quote]

I don't mind if those guys are called out. They are big boys and I've never acted like they were paragons of civility. Rogers on the other hand doesn't get called out even when he does the same thing.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
lobohawk":2lw6fptk said:
You have to stretch to say Rogers' comment is some sort of Christian faith push back.

How much of a stretch is it really given that he's explictly expressed it in detail before, though?

HawkGA

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3dnya7o0 said:
Agree with Rodgers ... why do players always bring God into sport ... is just beyond me.
God has NOTHING to do with winning or losing a football game. Hope Russell learns from this.

Wilson's comments were right after a play, hyped up after a big win and were simply caught on the microphone. It's not like he was parading to sports writers about God choosing him to beat the Packers. I'm not all into people bringing up God in sports either but it's not like it's uncommon. Heck, I seem to recall a book being written during the Favre era about how God favors the Green Bay Packers. One of the pieces of evidence was that some receiver at the time returned quicker from an injury than expected.

I'll forgive Wilson for his emotional exclamations on the field. For Rodgers, I'll forgive him for thinking that a Week 2 regular season game comes anywhere close to erasing their choke job from last year.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1yj7u5p6 said:
lobohawk":1yj7u5p6 said:

How much of a stretch is it really given that he's explictly expressed it in detail before, though?

Considering his history of douchiness, and his obvious disdain for Wilson's viewpoint, a big stretch.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
lobohawk":3ba7y8tp said:
case one:
Wilson makes a general comment about God. Not attacking anyone or trying to make a point, just speaking out with his faith regarding how things turned out.

If you can't see how Wilson saying that God had him throw four picks to make his win ultimately more dramatic isn't going to wrankle non-witnessing devout Christians from the other team, sorry, but there's just not much of anywhere else for us to go.

I'm not suggesting that it was Wilson's INTENT to wrankle others in making that comment, but his aloofness or disinterest in how it would be received by the other team (and devout Christians who don't wtiness of preach the prosperity gospel on the other team), I think, may reasonably be part of the problem for Rodgers.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2xwj2k1d said:
Popeyejones":2xwj2k1d said:
lobohawk":2xwj2k1d said:

Considering his history of douchiness, and his obvious disdain for Wilson's viewpoint, a big stretch.

So you're saying that his "obious disdain for Wilson's viewpoint" (your words) is evidence for his comment NOT being about his disdain for Wilson's viewpoint?

Interesting argument. :lol:

xgeoff

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1qx29b5a said:
Who cares. It's all playful, nothing hurtful. I have no problem with this.

My thoughts exactly. I think it's kinda funny.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3v4m6vxn said:
Hawkpower":3v4m6vxn said:
Popeyejones":3v4m6vxn said:
lobohawk":3v4m6vxn said:

So you're saying that his "obious disdain for Wilson's viewpoint" (your words) is evidence for his comment NOT being about his disdain for Wilson's viewpoint?

Interesting argument. :lol:

No, I was interpreting the "push back" comment as trying to pretend Rodgers was making this purely about religion, when in reality it was more of a chance for Rodgers to be a douche.

it was still funny though

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Don't agree it was intended to be a jab at anyone.

Typical winner's remark, and they won and can say whatever. The comments are not offensive.

Many here are overthinking thes remarks, at least to me anyways.

CHawK247

Reaction score
The kid lost his father at 55 right before achieving greatness and leading a franchise to their first SB win... and you mock his faith??? Some of you need to pull your head out of you're asses and see things from other people 's perspective sometime.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
CHawK247":54z92wxt said:
The kid lost his father at 55 right before achieving greatness and leading a franchise to their first SB win... and you mock his faith??? Some of you need to pull your head out of you're asses and see things from other people 's perspective sometime.

Nobody mocks RW because he is religious.

I am religious.

I also don't claim to have personal conversations with the big guy moments after an interception in the Super Bowl, nor do I pretend that god gives any opinion whatsoever about who wins a football game.

Believing those things to be true is where people like Russ lose us.

Losing his father at 55 has nothing to do with that.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
To actually think god had a hand in Russ throwing 4 pics for more drama is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I applaud rodgers for calling Russ out on that idiotic statement. I am a big Russ fan, but the whole thing that god is responsible for how a game of football is played is insane. Believe what you will, say what you like but it goes both ways.