Russ gets his new deal in Denver

keasley45

Reaction score
Didn't you know that Jake Heaps is RW's personal QB coach? This probably one of the reasons why RW so deficient in parts of his game. He's being mentored by Heaps.

Yup. I think he's more Wilson's media liason though. He's a 'coach', so conveniently has the inside scoop. But you only ever get one flavor of story from the guy.

keasley45

Reaction score
Our OL and Penny's plays help some late last year too,

It was pretty clear the gameplan changed over the last several games, both on offense and defense.

Dunlap was used the way he was supposed to, and we got our running game back in balance.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It might have made sense for Denver even though it felt like the less risky move would be to wait until the end of the season to see how he produced somewhere else.

But

The price of QBs keep going up.

Betting this deal ends up less than a middle-of-the-road but still 20 QB gets in 2 years.

From that perspective, Denver saved a ton. Especially with only $165M fully guaranteed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It might have made sense for Denver even though it felt like the less risky move would be to wait until the end of the season to see how he produced somewhere else.

But

The price of QBs keep going up.

Betting this deal ends up less than a middle-of-the-road but still 20 QB gets in 2 years.

From that perspective, Denver saved a ton. Especially with only $165M fully guaranteed.

All reports I read said Wilson wanted the new deal done before the first game.

Which explains why he didn't even take one snap in the preseason. Which I know isn't rare now that the important starters sit, but this is a new team, new teammates he's throwing to and new system for him. You'd think he would have wanted to at least play a couple series of the pre-season.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Didn't you know that Jake Heaps is RW's personal QB coach? This probably one of the reasons why RW so deficient in parts of his game. He's being mentored by Heaps.
Are you talking about former Jayhawk‘s QB Jake Heaps?

yes, he sucked there too. As well as the rest of the team and Charlie Weis.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

No, it might actually be better than that for the Broncos. What's been reported so far is $165M in guarantees. We still don't know what fraction of that $165M is fully guaranteed at signing.

I'm wondering why Wilson was willing to take that deal, especially when he could have forced them to give him significantly more by playing well this season.

Rat

Reaction score
Russ is good, and I think this will be considered win-win early on, but I'm happy we weren't the ones to give this deal to him. I cant imagine him aging well.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
OK, Spotrac and Overthecap now have numbers up. As I've said before, I've found Overthecap to be more accurate, but the numbers on the two sites appear to agree.

It's only $124M fully guaranteed at signing. I'm really surprised Wilson accepted that.

One of the nice features on Spotrac is that they give the earliest realistic "out" for the team. In the case of Wilson's new contract, it's in 2026, at which point he'd have been with the Broncos for four years and made $161M (they managed that because the Seahawks are picking up a lot of the tab for the first two years, leaving him only costing Garoppolo money for 2022-23), and they'd have $31.2M in dead cap.

None of Wilson's salary after 2024 is guaranteed.

Fade

Reaction score
A great signing by Denver. Agents are pissed, and are calling Wilson a "company guy" doing something pro league rather than pro player. After the Kirk & Watson contracts being fully guaranteed, this signing has set them back on the progress they had been making in this area.

Wilson's cap number was lowered even further the remaining two years on his existing deal, allowing Denver to spend more, and to go for the Owl the next three years. They may not get there but they are at least giving themselves the best shot.

Cap Numbers via overthecap.com

2022: $17M (7.7% of the cap.)
2023: $22M (9.8% of the conservative projected cap.)
2024: $35.4M (13.4% of the conservative projected cap.)

Brady in 2020 & Stafford + Goff's Dead money in 2021, took up a higher % of the cap the last 2 years and they won Superbowls, so fantasy's of Russ wrecking Denver's cap are just that, a fantasy.

Denver: A+
Wilson: C+

Wilson should've gone for a fully guaranteed contract as he had Denver over a barrel after they mortgaged the farm to get him. Wilson probably wants to win more, than maximizing every last red cent as this is his 3rd payday, his legacy is starting to take more of a precedent at this juncture, and Denver capitalized off of that fact.

Denver also can get out of the deal after 2025 with a modest dead money hit, with a $27.2M savings.

If Wilson and Denver thrive they will re-do his deal at that
point anyway lowering his future cap numbers and look to create a 2nd window to keep the winning going. Something the Seahawks won't be doing for a long time, unless they can hit on a QB in the draft pronto, and get a coach that can develop him pronto. So I don't get the Seahawk fan celebrations in here at all.

Denver won the negotiation in a land slide, and Wilson signed a team friendly deal. I still give Russ a C+ because he is getting a boatload of money, but he could've got more, plus much more fully guaranteed dollars. This sets a league precedent that will make it harder for agents to ask for fully guaranteed contracts going forward.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I'll get ribbed for this I'm sure....

But this is decent deal for the Broncos on paper. Less guaranteed than DeShaun and Kyler and failed to hit 50 million per. We have a slightly different "insiders" perspective as Hawks fans, but this is a QB that had been in the MVP talk at some point most seasons, and finds ways to win.

Objectively looking at the market, he should have gotten more TBH. He didn't raise the bar one bit for someone with his resume.

W

Welshers

I'll get ribbed for this I'm sure....

But this is decent deal for the Broncos on paper. Less guaranteed than DeShaun and Kyler and failed to hit 50 million per. We have a slightly different "insiders" perspective as Hawks fans, but this is a QB that had been in the MVP talk at some point most seasons, and finds ways to win.

Objectively looking at the market, he should have gotten more TBH. He didn't raise the bar one bit for someone with his resume.
0 career MVP votes! Hasn't won a divisional round playoff game in 8 years! Old! Mark my words, he wont be worth what they paid!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I’m thankful for the championship and the 2 back to back Super Bowl appearances. ….but it’s a huge over pay for someone who’s skills are diminishing and his biggest weapon is, escapability, is gone.

Rainger

Reaction score
Mike Klis of 9News.com has the details of the contract. Here they are:

1. Signing bonus: $50 million.

2. 2022 option bonus: $5 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2022 base salary: $2 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2023 option bonus: $20 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2023 base salary: $8 million, fully guaranteed.

6. 2024 option bonus: $22 million fully guaranteed.

7. 2024 base salary: $17 million, fully guaranteed.

8. 2025 base salary: $37 million, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed as of March 2024.

9. 2026 base salary: $40 million, with “partial” injury guarantees.

10. 2027 roster bonus: $1 million.

11. 2027 base salary: $44 million.

12. 2028 base salary: $50 million.

The deal has $124 million fully guaranteed at signing. The practical guarantee is $161 million over four years, given that the 2025 base salary becomes fully guaranteed in 2024, a full year early.

The cash flow is $57 million through the first year, $85 million through two years, $124 million through three years, and $161 million through four years.

He was due to make $51 million over the next two years. He’ll make $34 million more than that.

The deal has a new-money value of $49 million for the five-year extension. Factoring in the two existing years, it’s $42.2 million over seven years.

That’s seven years. The Broncos hold his rights through 2028. They can, if they so choose, give him a new deal if the market and/or salary cap get out of whack. But they don’t have to.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
So hypothetically PC+JS give Wilson the middle finger by drafting 2 OT's of the future in the same draft after trading him, and then Wilson hypothetically gives PC+JS the middle finger by signing a team-friendly deal with the Broncos so that they can "have money to get talent". What an interesting and bitter divorce.

JPatera76

Reaction score
So hypothetically PC+JS give Wilson the middle finger by drafting 2 OT's of the future in the same draft after trading him, and then Wilson hypothetically gives PC+JS the middle finger by signing a team-friendly deal with the Broncos so that they can "have money to get talent". What an interesting and bitter divorce.
That’s exactly 10000000% how it seems.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Mike Salk had an interesting theory on why RW3 gave Denver a break while he fought for every penny from the Seahawlks.

He said it was about Control. That Russ wanted to dictate more than what the Seahawks would allow. The article details several scenarios/explanations, but ultilmately said that with the control he has in Denver, it will on him if there is success or not.