Russell Wilson has declared war on the Seahawks

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rat":2azcj04o said:
Dallas would be interesting. Could get a bounty from them and then sign Dak. Get much younger for only a small downgrade in the present.
A bounty of what? JAG’s (Just Another Guy).
*allas’ talent pool is real shallow. Lots of over-rated players, and outside of their receiving core, the talent they do have (OL, RB) is getting old fast. A bunch of mid of the round years down the road draft picks isn’t too attractive either .

xray

Reaction score
Bottom line...Wilson wants more rings . He won't get them in Seattle , at least not with Carroll he won't .

beastalamode

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2cp3sji3 said:
This stuff is clearly leaking from Wilson's camp.

Which means it comes from Wilson.

Whether it is true or not is immaterial because his perception is what matters here.

If we want to use the Forest analogy since it keeps getting used in all the Seahawks Hype videos:

This started as a brush fire. The Seahawks ignored it.

It then grew bigger and jumped the road.

It is going to burn its way through Seahawk forest.

It is then headed for the housing development that is the Seahawk Fan Base. A lot of that is going to get burned down the moment the flames hit it.

The Seahawks had plenty of smoke and warnings. Starting LAST YEAR. They ignored it. More accurately Pete thought he was in control and this was all his decision.

Well, good luck. Now the fire is out of control.

There was a lot of 'nothing to see here' whistling past the graveyard when this was CLEARLY a coordinated PR campaign even last year. Then started this year with the Dan Patrick interview, including a question that was clearly fed to Dan Patrick. Finally, a barrage of different sports talk and news outlets almost parroting the narrative from Wilson's perspective.

This was a campaign. Clearly evident. The Seahawks not only chose not to stop it, they decided to flex their muscles a bit too with the idiotic '3 1st rounders' leak. Now they are rapidly screwed. None of the good trade partners are in Wilson's list, on purpose.

Wilson will play one more uneventful year here and then he will be traded. If he even makes that other year.

Then this entire winning tradition that Pete built leveraging Wilson's ability will turn to ashes.

We need to fire Pete ASAP unless you guys like going 7-9 and seeing Pete increasingly make horrible in game decisions every year. Like Husky has said, we should have fired Pete last year.

How is this even up for debate? Are there really Hawks fans out there that think our recent success is because of Pete and not Russ?

Rat

Reaction score
xray":2czsk3h6 said:
Bottom line...Wilson wants more rings . He won't get them in Seattle , at least not with Carroll he won't .
So... he suggests the Bears or Raiders? Surprised the Lions and Browns arn't on his list.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Scorpion05":hrq3b3aw said:
There is no such thing as meeting all of those needs. And the star athlete usually wins the battle, most of the time.
What? There is no such thing as meeting the 'need' of giving a good OC a chance to design a good offense with only a simple mandate? That's not even complicated. The only reason there won't be such a thing is because I don't think Pete or Wilson will allow it, but let's not pretend it's not possible.

49ers moved on from Joe Montana but had Steve Young waiting in the wings. Another HOF. Good luck getting that lucky.

The Patriots may never find another QB as great as Brady for some times.
Well, yeah, it worked out for 49ers and Patriots almost assuredly WON'T find another QB as great as Brady, who's pretty much the greatest of all-time. My point is, the number one and number two greatest QBs of all-time both lost this battle. Russ is not on Brady or Montana's level (nobody really is), so if they can lose this battle, so can Russ. It really is not as rare as people make it out to be.

Heck, LA just moved on from Jared Goff after how many years separated from him taking them to a Super Bowl? SF is already thinking about moving on from Jimmy G who also took his team to the SB recently and we all remember how quickly SF moved on from Alex Smith once they thought something better had come along.

Even in Seattle, we moved on from our previous best-ever QB in a pretty unceremonious fashion. Pete winning this battle would not be unprecedented in any sense of the word. I'm not saying I think he should, I'm just saying thinking siding with Pete over Russ would NOT make Seahawks unique.

Ultimately, this comes down to what you think of Wilson. I, and others around the league thinks he's a great Quarterback. While we're here nitpicking at him, others are clamoring for him. Most fans I'm seeing, at least on social media...would love to have him and would likely worship him far more than we do here in Seattle. Which has always been 50/50 on Russ love.
Yeah, but those fans are comparing him to the terrible QBs they have. We are being spoiled here in Seattle (right or wrong). Most of those fans would probably also take Pete over their head coach, too...

For the record, I ALSO think Russ is a great QB.

What Russ is saying, is that he's a great QB and should be treated like one. That means respect, that means influence, that means not looking at him condescendingly as Pete apparently has. And Russ is clearly confident enough in his abilities, that he's saying if Pete, or others don't respect him, watch what he can do. Whichever team he goes to will sell out jerseys, and get more primetime games. Guaranteed. Russ will also benefit from getting more media recognition and thus, respect for his play. Which he lacks being in South Alaska.
I already understand what Russ is saying and I absolutely agree that he deserves respect if he's not being shown it.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Rat":a3rt6a2n said:
xray":a3rt6a2n said:
So... he suggests the Bears or Raiders? Surprised the Lions and Browns arn't on his list.
he wants the exposure in a big market not a ring.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3k9fkjfm said:
Rat":3k9fkjfm said:
xray":3k9fkjfm said:
he wants the exposure in a big market not a ring.

I think he deliberately made that list to ensure he's not traded this year, to be honest. Teams that have no premium resources to offer a commensurate trade package, and are also mostly in the NFC.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
beastalamode":y4ea2voo said:
We need to fire Pete ASAP unless you guys like going 7-9 and seeing Pete increasingly make horrible in game decisions every year. Like Husky has said, we should have fired Pete last year.

How is this even up for debate? Are there really Hawks fans out there that think our recent success is because of Pete and not Russ?

That will never happen. Pete won 7 games with Tavaris Jackson. The 2017 Seahawks were one of the worst running teams in NFL history and they still won 9 games. 9 is the floor with Pete and Russ.

beastalamode

Reaction score
sdog1981":192zcps3 said:
beastalamode":192zcps3 said:

That will never happen. Pete won 7 games with Tavaris Jackson. The 2017 Seahawks were one of the worst running teams in NFL history and they still won 9 games. 9 is the floor with Pete and Russ.

You didn't understand my post. If Pete stays, Russ goes. If Russ goes the floor isn't 9 games, the floor is 3 to 4 games.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I am not convinced that there is as much fire going on as there is smoke. However, RW clearly is not happy. I think he is looking for more respect as opposed to wanting out (based on the list Schefter sent out). If he wants out because of PC, then PC needs to be fired immediately. This is akin to the day after 49 when Bevell should have been fired and the fact it was handled so poorly led to the implosion.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":280s2wqk said:

Well other than the Saints, I think the combined playoff win totals for the Raiders, Bears and Cowboys over the past ten years is like 1 or 2.

So not sure how going to any of these teams gives Russell a better chance of winning a SB.

Fade

Reaction score
If/When Wilson goes away the winning goes away with him.

Something I've been thinking about recently, Wilson's numbers tanked coincidently right after Pete signed his extension.

Pete has been screwing up for years, without Wilson to mask Pete's flaws, they're now going to be magnified.

Swapping out Wilson for a $20M QB and a couple of JAGs is going to be a clown car show.

If they trade Wilson, they might as well trade, Wagner, Adams, Duane Brown, Tyler Lockett, and DK. Blow it up.

Only the freaking Seattle Seahawks would keep Mike McCarthy over Aaron Rodgers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":2f1a3bvj said:
If they trade Wilson, they might as well trade, Wagner, Adams, Duane Brown, Tyler Lockett, and DK. Blow it up..

Unfortunately you're right. Unless they can pull off a trade for Watson or Prescott, then yes if you're going to trade Russell you might as well do a complete tear down and start over.

Or else it won't matter how many picks you get back, you'll just be treading water with a mediocre QB and the rest of these guys soaking up all the cap going 8-8 or worse.

Btw, I'd bet most of the guys you mentioned would also start asking for trades if Russell's gone. All these guys know that no Russell = we're going to stink longer than I'm going to be around, so I'm not hanging around for that.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Fade":2tm57f3p said:

Something I've been thinking about recently, Wilson's numbers tanked coincidently right after Pete signed his extension.

Pete has been screwing up for years, without Wilson to mask Pete's flaws, they're now going to be magnified.

Swapping out Wilson for a $20M QB and a couple of JAGs is going to be a clown car show.

If they trade Wilson, they might as well trade, Wagner, Adams, Duane Brown, Tyler Lockett, and DK. Blow it up.

100% agree

But Pete would never do a complete rebuild with the limited years he has left here. Pete is an egomaniac, and in his mind, I have no doubt he feels like he could win with a good defense, a 90's style offense that leans heavily on the run, and a game manager at QB.

Of course in that scenario, we would be lucky to win 5 games per year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see whether Wilson goes to the best football opportunity for him or the biggest media market.

The best actual football match is the Saints. They have a good line. Decent D (with pieces removed for the trade).

Fantastic WRs. Great, if not stellar RB. And one of the best offensive minds in football.

Wilson could almost punch a ticket to the SB with the Saints. They probably lose Lattimore and a pass rusher, Carroll loves him some defensive players. I guess they could give us Taysom Hill too as a QB replacement. It would be hard to make the trade work - but it is the best spot for Wilson.

On the other hand, NY or Chicago or LV would be the spot if he wants the media or entertainment markets.

This is going to be interesting but it will be hard to stuff the genie in the bottle again if they are going to try to keep Wilson and Pete on the same team.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Shit like this should be addressed by an owner. Someone that has the authority to tell everyone else to get their act together. Sadly, the Seahawks do not have such a person right now.

D

DomeHawk

Fade":dz7off8a said:

^^^^This

TraderGary

Reaction score
When RW first went public, people were asking why he didn’t air his complaints privately. But many of us assumed he already had, and was basically dismissed by the FO. This pretty much confirms that.

Here’s what happened next, via the story in TheAthletic.com: “Before the Thursday night game against Arizona, Wilson met with his coaches. For some time, Wilson has sought — even pushed — for influence within the organization regarding scheme and personnel. In the meeting, he outlined his own ideas for how to fix the offense. His suggestions were dismissed, multiple sources told The Athletic — another reminder to Wilson that the Seahawks did not see him the same way he saw himself, as a player who had earned greater control over his situation, his future, his legacy. He stormed out of the room.”

And then if that weren’t enough, there was this…. (previously posted in this thread by another .net member)

More: After watching the Bucs-Chiefs Super Bowl in Tampa, Russell Wilson spoke with Pete Carroll to discuss how they’ll fix the o-line. Wilson wanted to know the team’s plan, but it wasn’t relayed to him, at least not to his satisfaction. Wilson then took the message public.

If those reports/quotes above are accurate, I could certainly see how Russ would feel under appreciated and disrespected by his HC. In that scenario, I would want out too.

Pete left Russ no other choice than to go public. Call it click bait if you wish, but there are too many reports from different sources to just dismiss these rumors as click bait. If you really believe that, I think you're in denial. And as someone else said, if they weren’t true, why hasn’t RW come out and said so? Common sense would dictate that these reports are valid, and that there’s a serious divide between Russ and Pete.

I personally don’t think Pete and Russ are going to be able to coexist. This is a clear power struggle between the two, and if the Seahawks want to keep their HOF QB, Pete needs to go now. I didn’t think it was possible given that he had just signed a new 5-year extension, but I don’t see any other resolution. Russ is clearly a hell of a lot more valuable than a “has been” head coach who’s expiration date was up a long time ago.

How I wish Paul Allen was still alive. This would have already been resolved by now. Where the hell is Jody?

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but when these reports first began to surface, didn't I read or hear of a quote attributed to Jody stating she would never allow the team to trade Russ? Anyone remember that or did I confuse it with someone else?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":qcocrk2w said:
Wilson could almost punch a ticket to the SB with the Saints. They probably lose Lattimore and a pass rusher, Carroll loves him some defensive players. I guess they could give us Taysom Hill too as a QB replacement. It would be hard to make the trade work - but it is the best spot for Wilson.

Saints obviously give Russell the best chance, but I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk.........not with being in the same division as a ridiculously young stacked Bucs roster.

Not quite the murderer's row of the NFC West, but it's no gimme division.

Bottom line on this topic is whatever team trades for Russell would have to help out with his huge dead cap hit. So as much as Russell's unhappy? I don't see this going down until next off season when his cap hit is drastically reduced.

Hard to imagine any team giving up three 1st's AND helping out with our big cap hit. If that's even possible.

John63

Reaction score
TraderGary":27xa4ss9 said:
When RW first went public, people were asking why he didn’t air his complaints privately. But many of us assumed he already had, and was basically dismissed by the FO. This pretty much confirms that.

Here’s what happened next, via the story in TheAthletic.com: “Before the Thursday night game against Arizona, Wilson met with his coaches. For some time, Wilson has sought — even pushed — for influence within the organization regarding scheme and personnel. In the meeting, he outlined his own ideas for how to fix the offense. His suggestions were dismissed, multiple sources told The Athletic — another reminder to Wilson that the Seahawks did not see him the same way he saw himself, as a player who had earned greater control over his situation, his future, his legacy. He stormed out of the room.”

And then if that weren’t enough, there was this…. (previously posted in this thread by another .net member)

More: After watching the Bucs-Chiefs Super Bowl in Tampa, Russell Wilson spoke with Pete Carroll to discuss how they’ll fix the o-line. Wilson wanted to know the team’s plan, but it wasn’t relayed to him, at least not to his satisfaction. Wilson then took the message public.

If those reports/quotes above are accurate, I could certainly see how Russ would feel under appreciated and disrespected by his HC. In that scenario, I would want out too.

Pete left Russ no other choice than to go public. Call it click bait if you wish, but there are too many reports from different sources to just dismiss these rumors as click bait. If you really believe that, I think you're in denial. And as someone else said, if they weren’t true, why hasn’t RW come out and said so? Common sense would dictate that these reports are valid, and that there’s a serious divide between Russ and Pete.

I personally don’t think Pete and Russ are going to be able to coexist. This is a clear power struggle between the two, and if the Seahawks want to keep their HOF QB, Pete needs to go now. I didn’t think it was possible given that he had just signed a new 5-year extension, but I don’t see any other resolution. Russ is clearly a hell of a lot more valuable than a “has been” head coach who’s expiration date was up a long time ago.

How I wish Paul Allen was still alive. This would have already been resolved by now. Where the hell is Jody?

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but when these reports first began to surface, didn't I read or hear of a quote attributed to Jody stating she would never allow the team to trade Russ? Anyone remember that or did I confuse it with someone else?

Its simple, and we have heard it from other players PC runs things with a very tight fist. While he allows players to be themselves, he only allows to be themselves as long as the toe the line, and the defense gets way more latitude than the offense. Could you imagine if Wilson told players they sucked like Sherman etc etc