Russell Wilson has declared war on the Seahawks

TraderGary

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vxe07dj said:
TwistedHusky":3vxe07dj said:
Wilson could almost punch a ticket to the SB with the Saints. They probably lose Lattimore and a pass rusher, Carroll loves him some defensive players. I guess they could give us Taysom Hill too as a QB replacement. It would be hard to make the trade work - but it is the best spot for Wilson.

Saints obviously give Russell the best chance, but I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk.........not with being in the same division as a ridiculously young stacked Bucs roster.

Not quite the murderer's row of the NFC West, but it's no gimme division.

Bottom line on this topic is whatever team trades for Russell would have to help out with his huge dead cap hit. So as much as Russell's unhappy? I don't see this going down until next off season when his cap hit is drastically reduced.

Hard to imagine any team giving up three 1st's AND helping out with our big cap hit. If that's even possible.
I agree, I don't see it happening this year for the reason you mentioned. But unless Pete is let go, I feel fairly certain 2021 will be the last year we'll see Russ in Seahawks blue and green.

And given the obvious philosophical differences between Pete and Russ, I have to wonder what type of season we'll see in 2021 if they're both still here.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have seen it before, Pete willing to eat money to get his way. First example was T. J. Houshmandzadeh, there have been others along the way, anyone that loses Seahawk faith, Bennett, Sherman, Earl, Granted Wilson would be the biggest, but Pete is stubborn.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Pete cares about himself and and his circle jerk of friends who he keeps giving assistant coaching gigs, like Norton and Bevell and Shotty.if he knew talent why do we always see the “best man” sitting on their ass for some subpar player? Because the games passed him by. He’s all about trying to turn some below average player to all pro when all his projects have sucked and failed.

Keep Russ kick Pete to the curb and eat the $$$ loss

D

DomeHawk

Honestly, I would like to see us do what we did with Lenny Wilkins and make RW a player/coach. Not head coach but assistant head coach. No one is a harder worker or studies film more than him. Give him some ownership too. That's how important I think he is to the organization.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
JPatera76":2cvjrqb2 said:
Pete cares about himself and and his circle jerk of friends who he keeps giving assistant coaching gigs, like Norton and Bevell and Shotty.if he knew talent why do we always see the “best man” sitting on their ass for some subpar player? Because the games passed him by. He’s all about trying to turn some below average player to all pro when all his projects have sucked and failed.

Keep Russ kick Pete to the curb and eat the $$$ loss

Don’t be fooled into thinking this is about Pete or the online or any other nonsense.

This is about wanting to be in a city with more limelight. The writing has been on the wall for awhile even if we try to pretend it hasn’t. Take a look at his list of acceptable destinations and then try to convince us this is about online play. Or anything else.

Cmon.

vonstout

Reaction score
The teams Russ listed, Oakland, Chicago, Dallas, and Chicago aren’t limelight cities. I don’t see us trading him to an NFC team OR any team that doesn’t have one of the first three picks in the draft. So if Russ won’t agree to go to Jax, Jets, or Miami, I don’t see it happening. If they get Tua, #3 pick, either CB, #18 pick, Or Darnold, #2 pick , Becton,Our #23 pick back . I don’t know that we would be able to get another first rounder next year, but if we get any picks next year, I’d rather deal with the Jets because Miami would be picking lower IMO.

Chicago, Dallas, Oak, and NO would have to give us at least two young studs and picks because they will all be late first round picks. I don’t see any QB on their rosters other than maybe Carr that I’d want, so we’d have a huge issue for short term and long term QB.

I don’t see how we could eat 39 million this year, so I don’t think it will happen this year anyway.

sc85sis

Reaction score
TraderGary":2gxiaevd said:
When RW first went public, people were asking why he didn’t air his complaints privately. But many of us assumed he already had, and was basically dismissed by the FO. This pretty much confirms that.

Here’s what happened next, via the story in TheAthletic.com: “Before the Thursday night game against Arizona, Wilson met with his coaches. For some time, Wilson has sought — even pushed — for influence within the organization regarding scheme and personnel. In the meeting, he outlined his own ideas for how to fix the offense. His suggestions were dismissed, multiple sources told The Athletic — another reminder to Wilson that the Seahawks did not see him the same way he saw himself, as a player who had earned greater control over his situation, his future, his legacy. He stormed out of the room.”

And then if that weren’t enough, there was this…. (previously posted in this thread by another .net member)

More: After watching the Bucs-Chiefs Super Bowl in Tampa, Russell Wilson spoke with Pete Carroll to discuss how they’ll fix the o-line. Wilson wanted to know the team’s plan, but it wasn’t relayed to him, at least not to his satisfaction. Wilson then took the message public.

If those reports/quotes above are accurate, I could certainly see how Russ would feel under appreciated and disrespected by his HC. In that scenario, I would want out too.

Pete left Russ no other choice than to go public. Call it click bait if you wish, but there are too many reports from different sources to just dismiss these rumors as click bait. If you really believe that, I think you're in denial. And as someone else said, if they weren’t true, why hasn’t RW come out and said so? Common sense would dictate that these reports are valid, and that there’s a serious divide between Russ and Pete.

I personally don’t think Pete and Russ are going to be able to coexist. This is a clear power struggle between the two, and if the Seahawks want to keep their HOF QB, Pete needs to go now. I didn’t think it was possible given that he had just signed a new 5-year extension, but I don’t see any other resolution. Russ is clearly a hell of a lot more valuable than a “has been” head coach who’s expiration date was up a long time ago.

How I wish Paul Allen was still alive. This would have already been resolved by now. Where the hell is Jody?

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but when these reports first began to surface, didn't I read or hear of a quote attributed to Jody stating she would never allow the team to trade Russ? Anyone remember that or did I confuse it with someone else?
Giving input is one thing, but at the end of the day, he's not the head coach and should not expect to be treated as if he is (assuming ANY of that even happened).

sc85sis

Reaction score
vonstout":tj6n2yd8 said:
The teams Russ listed, Oakland, Chicago, Dallas, and Chicago aren’t limelight cities. I don’t see us trading him to an NFC team OR any team that doesn’t have one of the first three picks in the draft. So if Russ won’t agree to go to Jax, Jets, or Miami, I don’t see it happening. If they get Tua, #3 pick, either CB, #18 pick, Or Darnold, #2 pick , Becton,Our #23 pick back . I don’t know that we would be able to get another first rounder next year, but if we get any picks next year, I’d rather deal with the Jets because Miami would be picking lower IMO.

Chicago, Dallas, Oak, and NO would have to give us at least two young studs and picks because they will all be late first round picks. I don’t see any QB on their rosters other than maybe Carr that I’d want, so we’d have a huge issue for short term and long term QB.

I don’t see how we could eat 39 million this year, so I don’t think it will happen this year anyway.
The Dallas Cowboys, “America’s Team” isn’t limelight? Las Vegas isn't limelight? Chicago, the number three media market in the country isn’t limelight? Really?

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
CAA wants limelight and has the connections for unlimited commercials, movies, etc... Raiders so he wants Cable again? Either RW & Mike Rogers are stupid or the Seahawk franchise planted the story with Adam Scheftner to try to cause a bidding war.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
xray":3r3bnnf4 said:
This is Wilson vs Carroll . In most cases a HOF QB wins this battle , but Carroll has far to much power . The Hawks may may have a divided unhappy locker room this season . That never seems to have good results on the field .
I can't think of any instances where a player in the NFL has won this type of battle, QB or not. Has there actually been any? Farve lost the battle in GB. Brady lost on New England in the end. They managed to keep it afloat for a few extra years, but he had to move on ultimately. I honestly can't think of one case where the player won against a coach that the organization wasn't already thinking about running out of town.

John63

Reaction score
Keep in mind every year since 2015 we have heard the Hawks were looking at other QBs, talks of trading Wilson every year. Then they finally give Wilson some rope and the first sign of trouble they take it back. Then when he wants to have a say in things they blow him off.

Maybe he is tired of being disrespected by his own team.

Mizak

Reaction score
John63":312r80g5 said:
Keep in mind every year since 2015 we have heard the Hawks were looking at other QBs, talks of trading Wilson every year. Then they finally give Wilson some rope and the first sign of trouble they take it back. Then when he wants to have a say in things they blow him off.

LOL, you’re a Russell Wilson fan before your a Seahawk fan. Take that avatar out.

John63

Reaction score
Mizak":6yla74kl said:
John63":6yla74kl said:

LOL, you’re a Russell Wilson fan before your a Seahawk fan. Take that avatar out.

yeah no, as I said I was a Hawks fan before Wilson and will be after. However just because I am a hawks fan does not mean I agree with everything they do or don't do.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Shockingly, the Steelers are not on the list. Seems a perfect fit for Russ.

But, the 4 cities Russ picked make perfect sense.

What does Russ want?

He wants 3 things:

1 - MVP

2 - SB win

3 - Significant say, if not control, over whatever staff he joins.

Dallas is tailor-made to deliver an MVP. Lots of receivers. An offense that puts up big numbers for Dak. And an owner that would literally give Wilson whatever he wanted. In terms of power, say, control, and even players added to the roster.

Chicago is like the Bucs. Stellar defense, but missing a QB. You put Wilson on that team and they become dangerous. Also, Russ is competitive. He would love to join Rodgers' division and beat him out head to head. He is constantly unfavorably compared to Rodgers. This would allow him to rip the crown from Rodgers and potentially make a solid run at a SB.

Saints would literally become a dynasty with Wilson. They could never afford him but if they could....not sure they wouldn't pile up a few SB wins.

LV is your bright lights city. But the HC is also enamored with Wilson and would give him whatever he wanted.

Basically Russ picked 4 cities where he would immediately be the Alpha, even over his HC. He picked 1 with a good chance at a SB and 1 with almost an assured SB, and one of the best paths for an MVP chase. Not sure about Vegas, but the rest make complete sense for Wilson in getting what he wants in either #1 or #2. He gets #3 in any of the 4.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2vlblo40 said:
Shockingly, the Steelers are not on the list. Seems a perfect fit for Russ.

But, the 4 cities Russ picked make perfect sense.

What does Russ want?

He wants 3 things:

1 - MVP

2 - SB win

3 - Significant say, if not control, over whatever staff he joins.

Dallas is tailor-made to deliver an MVP. Lots of receivers. An offense that puts up big numbers for Dak. And an owner that would literally give Wilson whatever he wanted. In terms of power, say, control, and even players added to the roster.

Chicago is like the Bucs. Stellar defense, but missing a QB. You put Wilson on that team and they become dangerous. Also, Russ is competitive. He would love to join Rodgers' division and beat him out head to head. He is constantly unfavorably compared to Rodgers. This would allow him to rip the crown from Rodgers and potentially make a solid run at a SB.

Saints would literally become a dynasty with Wilson. They could never afford him but if they could....not sure they wouldn't pile up a few SB wins.

LV is your bright lights city. But the HC is also enamored with Wilson and would give him whatever he wanted.

Basically Russ picked 4 cities where he would immediately be the Alpha, even over his HC. He picked 1 with a good chance at a SB and 1 with almost an assured SB, and one of the best paths for an MVP chase. Not sure about Vegas, but the rest make complete sense for Wilson in getting what he wants in either #1 or #2. He gets #3 in any of the 4.

When has Dallas gave any player control over anything, that's a pipe dream, if he would not give Johnson more control as a Super Bowl winning coach and with Aikman there why do you think he would give Wilson more control then those two.

Gruden is not a nice guy as a Coach, he drills and Coaches them hard, Wilson will work his ass off for him I think but Wilson will not be running the show there.

That's like Hass telling Holmgren what to do and who he wanted to play with and what plays to run.

Chicago and the Saints, Wilson will fall on his face in Chicago, we seen how he plays in bad weather, and in Chicago they have a lot of bad weather. Just remember how well we have played in Chicago with Wilson.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Mizak":wscped7b said:
John63":wscped7b said:

LOL. You’re not a Seahawks fan, if you are not a Russell Wilson fan. Fans usually respect their franchise QBs. Wilson has received nothing but crap and doubt since walking through the door.

You’re right though. The moment Brady, Rodgers, Montana, Mahomes leave their teams, so do a significant portion of fans. Without Wilson, expect less relevancy and less prime time games. The value of the franchise will drop, this is simply a fact.

Many Niners fans from back in the day were Montana fans before Niners fans. Outside of the hardcore base, and locals, it’s silly to think that people aren’t fan of players as much as the team itself, if not more. Players make the sport. Take away many of the icons and you’ll have a lot less fans. Not just in that city, but worldwide. Russell Wilson is a cash cow for Seattle. Unless Watson is walking through that door, Seattle will take the biggest loss.

In fact, with PA gone, and Wilson gone, the sale of the team would be down the road. Seriously, the gravity of this is lost on many of you.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2kckytg1 said:
Mizak":2kckytg1 said:
John63":2kckytg1 said:

LOL. You’re not a Seahawks fan, if you are not a Russell Wilson fan. Fans usually respect their franchise QBs. Wilson has received nothing but crap and doubt since walking through the door.

You’re right though. The moment Brady, Rodgers, Montana, Mahomes leave their teams, so do a significant portion of fans. Without Wilson, expect less relevancy and less prime time games. The value of the franchise will drop, this is simply a fact.

Many Niners fans from back in the day were Montana fans before Niners fans. Outside of the hardcore base, and locals, it’s silly to think that people aren’t fan of players as much as the team itself, if not more. Players make the sport. Take away many of the icons and you’ll have a lot less fans. Not just in that city, but worldwide. Russell Wilson is a cash cow for Seattle. Unless Watson is walking through that door, Seattle will take the biggest loss.

In fact, with PA gone, and Wilson gone, the sale of the team would be down the road. Seriously, the gravity of this is lost on many of you.
Russell is NOT an icon on any level in any way shape or form. I don't doubt he would like to be, but he is not.

John63

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":343vq93i said:
Scorpion05":343vq93i said:
Mizak":343vq93i said:
John63":343vq93i said:

Russell is NOT an icon on any level in any way shape or form. I don't doubt he would like to be, but he is not.

Opinions Vary on that.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
sc85sis":2obkzt3d said:
The Dallas Cowboys, “America’s Team” isn’t limelight? Las Vegas isn't limelight? Chicago, the number three media market in the country isn’t limelight? Really?
Yeah, this was my reaction as well.

Being the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys is as 'limelight' a spot there is in the entire NFL. LA and NY might be the biggest media markets in the US, but that doesn't really hold true for NFL franchises because NY's teams both actually play in Jersey and LA's history with NFL franchises is... complicated.

Dallas is the media darling for the NFL and the one that always get outsized coverage regardless of their record or talent (and, for some reason, they have the viewership to match. I honestly don't get it.) Chicago, on the other hand, actually crosses between both having a solid NFL fanbase AND being in a large media market. Those are by far two of the most limelight cities you can pick.

Vegas should be self-explanatory.

New Orleans is the only one on that list that sticks out from a 'limelight' perspective, so that one could fall in the realm of being a straight football pick.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not sold on the idea that the list of places was done in order to pick limelight spots as I'm 50/50 on whether they were picked primarily to prevent a trade at all. They do fit the profile of limelight spots, though.