Seahawks at Niners 11/11...

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The 9ers got surprised, plus Cards were able to exploit some inherent weaknesses in Wide 9. They aren't in win-now mode or default rebuild mode. They are in more "f-it, let's do this test on a product no one is expecting and get better at it" mode. Element of surprise works for them for now.

We don't have scheme or personnel to do Cards or Ravens "surprises" for 2019 but do have an MVP QB who's proven he can regularly unleash surprises. Taking risks in that regard gives us a better chance this game than going conservative.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2m02ic7g said:
Marvin49":2m02ic7g said:
I don't expect Wilson to run the ball every other down, but I can see them running up tempo, exhausting that pass rush, and then going deep when Bosa and Ford can't catch their breath.

Do you watch the Hawks? I couldn't even tell you the last time we ran up tempo when it wasn't a four minute or two minute drill.

Up tempo and keeping defenses tired and on their heels? Nah, that's for other teams. This is Pete ball my friend, and Pete ball relies on it's MVP QB to scramble around and make perfect throws.

LOL. :lol:

Ezekiel38

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is fantastic and I respect the hell out of him, but I'm not scared of him. Why? Because the rest of the team is just average. This Seahawks team is one tier, maybe two, below the 49ers this year.

Eye test explains it very clearly, and most honest Seahawk fans know it.

49ers will be 11-0 before they have a good chance of losing their first game. Seahawks, Cardinals, Packers all at home and all inferior teams.

Excited to go 9-0 next Monday night and beat the Seahawks soundly in front of the entire country. Not even nervous. If this occurs, the division is a wrap.

The 49ers are the best team in the NFL.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ezekiel38":do23trem said:
Russell Wilson is fantastic and I respect the hell out of him, but I'm not scared of him. Why? Because the rest of the team is just average. This Seahawks team is one tier, maybe two, below the 49ers this year.

49ers will be 11-0 before they have a good chance of losing their first game. Seahawks, Cardinals, Packers all at home and all inferior teams.

Excited to go 9-0 next Monday night and beat the Seahawks soundly in front of the entire country. Not even nervous. If this occurs, the division is a wrap.

Yeah...not going there.

One game at a time.

Divisional matchups have a way of getting bloody and I expect no less for this one. No way do I assume victory here.

Ezekiel38

Reaction score
Marvin49":1oqdkyt9 said:
Ezekiel38":1oqdkyt9 said:

Yeah...not going there.

One game at a time.

Divisional matchups have a way of getting bloody and I expect no less for this one. No way do I assume victory here.

I certainly understand your sentiments Marvin. Your best rebuttal is that it's a divisional match up and we don't know if losing Kwon is going to cause an issue. This Seahawk team could easily be 4-5. Wilson has been fantastic against these inferior teams. The 49ers are not one of those teams.

Seattle doesn't go up tempo. They want to shorten the game as is their philosophy, and even more so because they are playing a superior team. So you don't have to be concerned about this. 49ers will be well rested and the D will have a chip on their shoulder after the AZ game in the 4th quarter. Only chance they have are turnovers or a WTF Jimmy throw. If we turn the ball over like the Pittsburgh game, well yeah we will lose.

IF turnovers are even, Seahawks have no chance.

NINEster

Reaction score
Ezekiel38":35b7hl63 said:
Marvin49":35b7hl63 said:
Ezekiel38":35b7hl63 said:

Yeah...not going there.

One game at a time.

I certainly understand your sentiments Marvin. Your best rebuttal is that it's a divisional match up and we don't know if losing Kwon is going to cause an issue. This Seahawk team could easily be 4-5. Wilson has been fantastic against these inferior teams. The 49ers are not one of those teams.

Seattle doesn't go up tempo. They want to shorten the game as is their philosophy, and even more so because they are playing a superior team. So you don't have to be concerned about this. 49ers will be well rested and the D will have a chip on their shoulder after the AZ game in the 4th quarter. Only chance they have are turnovers or a WTF Jimmy throw. If we turn the ball over like the Pittsburgh game, well yeah we will lose.

IF turnovers are even, Seahawks have no chance.

I think the 49ers have to just play sound defense. Figure out two things:

a) How to limit the run game
b) How to rush Wilson

To me, those two things will be key.

The Seahawks will try to run the ball and will probably have decent success, even if Kwon Alexander was still playing. I think we should expect them to stick to the run game, because despite reports to the contrary, Wilson is still most dangerous when the team can run the ball. If Wilson is going to throw a ton against this 49er defense, not sure that's a ideal look for him.

I have zero doubts the Niners can apply a pass rush on Wilson, but he's the one QB that you can get great rush on him and still lose if you're not careful. Remember what Shanahan said last year, paraphrasing:

"He scrambles around, makes people miss, rolls outside of the pocket and then hits you with a big play. He does that to everyone. Our job is to keep him in the pocket and make him play quarterback".

That's why you have to practice a lot and be disciplined in the pass rush. Bosa and Ford will have to make sure there's no holes opened on their way to Wilson. The Niners being solid all across the DL *might* trigger the 2013-2016 Rams days..... :shock:

Wilson to me is much the same QB he always was in the old days. The difference now is that he hits even better on deep throws/putting air under his passes, and he found a way to play his style of backyard ball more effectively. Lamar Jackson plays a unique style of QB clearly, but people forget that Wilson is very much the same. I'm not saying he can't make a single throw from the pocket, but most of the pocket QBs hang still in the drop far longer, far more often than Wilson.

That's why despite his great success this year, he's a QB you can still beat schematically.

What Saleh did to Wilson in the last matchup was brilliant, covered in an article somewhere. I trust Saleh to take care of his side. Just have to limit the big plays Wilson makes. He will almost always makes them, even in years past when his stats weren't what they are now.

As for the run game, there might be a need to dump the Wide 9 if the loss of Alexander is too much. Wide 9 relies on guys like him and Warner to make it go. It's not just having Bosa and Ford.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
74617576_2671058166287050_9112460107072929792_n.jpg

knownone

Reaction score
Ezekiel38":gnviyolx said:

You are basically saying that your perception of the game is universal, and any analytical thought or analysis is meaningless because something as subjective as the 'eye test' explains everything. This on the surface is nonsensical because everyone's eye test is subjective, so you postface this statement by essentially claiming 'if you don't agree with me, you are not being honest'... what?

You follow that bit of goofiness up with a bunch of declarative statements substantiating your absolute belief in the outcome of an event that hasn't taken place yet. This wouldn't bother me if you didn't conclude that statement with 'if this occurs...' Why? because everything you said preceding that statement would lead one to the obvious conclusion of 'when this occurs'... Why on earth would you state your opinion as truth:

"49ers will be 11-0 before they have a good chance of losing their first game."

Only to acknowledge that you don't actually know that outcome to be truth:

If this occurs, the division is a wrap.

Have the conviction to stand behind your ludicrous proclamations!

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1qoosaoc said:
5_Golden_Rings":1qoosaoc said:
toffee":1qoosaoc said:
9ers seems better on paper, a yuge win if Hawks pull out an upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The teams are almost exactly even on paper. Seahawks have better WRs and linebackers, the 49ers everywhere else, except quarterback, where Seattle has a huge advantage (if Wilson was on the 49ers they’d be on their way to 19-0). Additionally, I think Seattle has a slight special teams advantage. If I were betting and not wearing homer glasses, I’d bet on Seattle with only one caveat: the potential for home field advantage.

Who are these linebackers you speak of?
It's twofold. First of all, lol you know as well as I do that Wagner is great. Second, I'm speaking of the loss of Kwon Alexander. Warner is good. Greenlaw is a rookie ripe to be taken advantage of.

Even at WR, the advantage fades beyond Lockett. DK Metcalf is certainly promising, but you guys have Samuel who also is. You got Sanders as an immediately proven contributor.
Metcalf is the best rookie wide receiver. Sanders upped the group, but everyone else is a disappointment.

I'd say the player-skill advantage to SEA in this game comes down to a few individuals across position groups: Clearly Wilson. Lockett. Arguably Shaquill Griffin, Metcalf and Dickson.
I don't think Griffin is better than Sherman.

Scheme wise, there still might be success in targeting the newbs replacing Kwon Alexander. Even more in giving Russ more freedom to make plays. I'm not saying every play needs to be a deep ball or Russ taking off, but I'm suggesting there needs to be more of that to inject the "surprise" element.And more fourth down conversions and 2-point tries on our part, kinda like what the Pats started doing in response to their kicker issues.

Those plays are seen as more risky for a reason, but not as big a risk here as doing more of the conservative "run-run-pass let's try to get it to FG range" that Shan for sure has several schemes against.
You can't scheme against Wilson. But in this case for Seattle, run-run-pass might be a good idea.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
PackerNation":vmihupbp said:
5_Golden_Rings":vmihupbp said:
toffee":vmihupbp said:

The teams are almost exactly even on paper. Seahawks have better WRs and linebackers, the 49ers everywhere else, except quarterback, where Seattle has a huge advantage (if Wilson was on the 49ers they’d be on their way to 19-0). Additionally, I think Seattle has a slight special teams advantage. If I were betting and not wearing homer glasses, I’d bet on Seattle with only one caveat: the potential for home field advantage.

You're being modest. If the Hawks win, it will be considered an upset.

If I had to put $100 on the game I am going with the 49ers. Every day and twice on Sunday's.

Your defense is #1 and they should be able to contain every facet of the game with the exception of Wilson. But can Wilson carry that team for 4 quarters while getting hit as he repeatedly needs to take off and run and make plays with his legs?

Your offense should be able to score at will on the Hawks and control the ball when it matters via the run.

Having the #1 defense with an above average offense is the key to winning and going deep or all the way in the playoffs.
"Considered an upset" doesn't matter. Nor do stats, as they are based on many things beyond personnel. The tape doesn't usually lie, though, and my eyes tell me the two teams are very close. Seattle has been underrated all year.

Ezekiel38":vmihupbp said:

Eye test? What games are you watching? Lockette is elite. Metcalf, while he makes some dumb plays every now and again, is a budding superstar. Even the Seahawks third WR Brown is a threat, with his 4.4 speed. Defensively, they've dropped overall, but they still have some savvy veterans and a couple of elite talents (Wagner, Clowney), and they still manage to go on hot streaks.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I love me some Bobby but man, in some games there it looks like Kendricks has shown up more. Clowney's had the same number of QB hits as Jefferson (seven) despite having two more games.

Pass rush is not a strength this season for us playing average to bad OLs, which the 9ers are not.

Washington49er

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":ghwczkfh said:
PackerNation":ghwczkfh said:
5_Golden_Rings":ghwczkfh said:
toffee":ghwczkfh said:

If I had to put $100 on the game I am going with the 49ers. Every day and twice on Sunday's.

Your defense is #1 and they should be able to contain every facet of the game with the exception of Wilson. But can Wilson carry that team for 4 quarters while getting hit as he repeatedly needs to take off and run and make plays with his legs?

Your offense should be able to score at will on the Hawks and control the ball when it matters via the run.

Having the #1 defense with an above average offense is the key to winning and going deep or all the way in the playoffs.
"Considered an upset" doesn't matter. Nor do stats, as they are based on many things beyond personnel. The tape doesn't usually lie, though, and my eyes tell me the two teams are very close. Seattle has been underrated all year.

Ezekiel38":ghwczkfh said:

Eye test? What games are you watching? Lockette is elite. Metcalf, while he makes some dumb plays every now and again, is a budding superstar. Even the Seahawks third WR Brown is a threat, with his 4.4 speed. Defensively, they've dropped overall, but they still have some savvy veterans and a couple of elite talents (Wagner, Clowney), and they still manage to go on hot streaks.

For a "49er fan" you sure sing the praises for the Seahawks.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Jesus H Christ people, can't you snip off some of the previous stuff you're replying to? I just wore out my mouse wheel scrolling past all the extraneous stuff trying to get to the gold nuggets!

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Washington49er":3i93lkov said:
5_Golden_Rings":3i93lkov said:
PackerNation":3i93lkov said:
5_Golden_Rings":3i93lkov said:

Ezekiel38":3i93lkov said:

What? Rings Is just being real as a 9ers fan about his assessment of the opposing team's skills. I and many Hawks fans have been real about the level of competition we're up against. They are the only undefeated in the NFL right now with all but two games decided with wide margins. No, I don't want a cookie. Just keeping it real.

Washington49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1qko6681 said:
Washington49er":1qko6681 said:
5_Golden_Rings":1qko6681 said:
PackerNation":1qko6681 said:

Ezekiel38":1qko6681 said:

What? Rings Is just being real as a 9ers fan about his assessment of the opposing team's skills. I and many Hawks fans have been real about the level of competition we're up against. They are the only undefeated in the NFL right now with all but two games decided with wide margins. No, I don't want a cookie. Just keeping it real.

I get the "keeping it real", IMHO as a 49er fan I think he and a few other 49er fans are a little over the top with their praises of the Hawks.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
I get your point, but I think you are mistaking respect for praise.

In the WR conversation, honestly I'm not sure I agree with the comments RE Metcalf, but he has played well.

I didn't like the guy as a prospect, but in Seattles offense I think he's a perfect fit. He's big and can run really fast in a straight line which is great for a deep ball thrower. Thats why I was annoyed when they made the pick. He was WAY overrated in the draft process, but he is a perfect fit for Seattle.

The Niners could have drafted him but he would be somewhat wasted in the Niner offense. Deebo Samuel, while not having near the same numbers so far, is a far better scheme fit in Shanahans offense because Jimmy is never going to be a great deep ball thrower, and Deebo is going to live off quick screens, slants, end-arounds and even inside runs as we saw vs the Panthers.

I mean even Jalen Hurd was an ex-RB. Wait till we see him running across the formation and taking an inside run at 6'4", 230.

I like the Niners chances in this game, but making the argument that this game is hardly a slam dunk isn't praising Seattle too much. Its simple reality.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's gonna' be odd seeing fans in the stands. Oh wait, that's because they are "faithful"

When they are winning...……..