Seahawks releasing Rice, per Schefter

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I think there is/was a zero percent chance that Rice would have played the 2014 for the Seahawks on his existing contract. I also think that a simple restructuring of his contract, where he would still make the same amount with the base/bonus money tweaked so it helped the salary cap, is/was a serious longshot as well. It's just too much money for a guy who has had trouble staying healthy enough to contribute. It might not have been too much money back when the Seahawks had no other stars to consider, but it definitely is now.

That said, my ideal offseason for the Seahawks includes Rice being lured back to try for another championship on a one-year, low-cost deal (thinking like $1.5M tops). When he's on the field, he's a legitimate threat that works well with Wilson, and he's a leader in the WR corps. I'll be sad if/when he suits up with another team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":35a6t5r0 said:
That said, my ideal offseason for the Seahawks includes Rice being lured back to try for another championship on a one-year, low-cost deal (thinking like $1.5M tops). When he's on the field, he's a legitimate threat that works well with Wilson, and he's a leader in the WR corps. I'll be sad if/when he suits up with another team.

I don't see it happening any other way for Rice at this point in his career. No team is going to give him a multi-year deal with his European pre-season witch doctor visits and serious season ending injury.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2p6ycxl6 said:
45Hawker":2p6ycxl6 said:
I hope Sydney Rice remains a Seahawk by restructuring his contract. What that contract number is, I have no idea. I guess it will depend on what his value is to another team vs what we are willing to pay him. Would a team pay him $8 million a year? Probably not, IMO. Would he agree to remain a Hawk for $5-6,?

Remember, he's only 27 years old. By the way some people here talk about him, it's like he's old and washed up. When healthy, the guy is just as good as Marques Colston. (signed 5yr/$40m contract in 2012) Sydney is a rare talent at WR, even with the production we get from Baldwin, Tate and Percy.

I don't know the status/severity of his injuries, but I understand that is a factor in his possible release/restructure. Nobody here knows the injury reality either.

Anyway, I'd love him to remain a hawk at a fair price.

3 posts above you. 3.

It's Sidney.

Hey Roland, can you calm down already?

hawk45

Reaction score
I would totally be on board with a low-cost, short-term deal for Rice. Who knows, we may have a shot at that. With a healthy WR (like Tate) I feel like there's a much greater chance of some dumb GM offering stupid money, but as Sgt. Largent points out, nobody is going to come with the wheelbarrow of cash for Rice given his injuries for any length of time.

Given that, we may have as good a shot as any. Like we've done with other guys who have a down market year for whatever reason, we say come play for a high profile, winning team for a year on the cheap, if you perform, then you can go all Michael Bennett the year after.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
45Hawker":2635h5py said:
I think we've stated similar opinions: "I like Rice". There it is again - ad nauseum! Chaos everywhere, I tell you... Mods, LOCK THIS DOWN!!!
I see what you did there... specifically, avoiding to refer to him as Sydney... clever. :laugh:

45Hawker

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1xzw4ghh said:
45Hawker":1xzw4ghh said:
I think we've stated similar opinions: "I like Rice". There it is again - ad nauseum! Chaos everywhere, I tell you... Mods, LOCK THIS DOWN!!!
I see what you did there... specifically, avoiding to refer to him as Sydney... clever. :laugh:
I considered using "Ryce"... :lol:

lukerguy

Reaction score
To all of you saying you want Rice back at a fair price- it's not going to happen. A restructure would have saved the 2MM dead money the hawks will now be stuck with. The only fair price that would make sense is about 2MM a year, and that's not "fair" to Rice. He made a couple great plays for us earlier in his tenure, but really wasn't a x-factor or playmaker that we paid him to be. Towards the end, before he got hurt, I thought Kearse was better than him.

Let me ask you right now, who would you take if you had to pick one player for 2014 only- Kearse or Rice (assuming he's 100% healthy)? I'd take Kearse, and Kearse's contract is $570,000. It's that simple, and the release was a no-brainer.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":yva2x2f8 said:
To all of you saying you want Rice back at a fair price- it's not going to happen. A restructure would have saved the 2MM dead money the hawks will now be stuck with. The only fair price that would make sense is about 2MM a year, and that's not "fair" to Rice. He made a couple great plays for us earlier in his tenure, but really wasn't a x-factor or playmaker that we paid him to be. Towards the end, before he got hurt, I thought Kearse was better than him.

Let me ask you right now, who would you take if you had to pick one player for 2014 only- Kearse or Rice (assuming he's 100% healthy)? I'd take Kearse, and Kearse's contract is $570,000. It's that simple, and the release was a no-brainer.

Considering his injury history, how many WRs are on the FA market, and how many supposed phenoms are coming into the league in this upcoming draft, $2M a year would be more than fair for Rice.

kidhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":1kjbrqo5 said:

No restructure would change the dead money. Keeping him would count us $1.2 million against the cap this year and next year PLUS whatever his salary is, because he's already been paid that money in the form of a signing bonus. It's just been pro-rated through the life of his contract.

edogg23

Reaction score
I would be shocked if he comes back. His knees are shot. Even when he was playing last year he was getting very little seperation. His explosiveness is probably gone for good.

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":relmwwfw said:
E.C. Laloosh":relmwwfw said:
Hey Roland, can you calm down already?

We will not. Become literate; trust me, you'll feel better.

Said the guy who took an ax to his sibling for failing to e-nun-see-ate properly...

chris98251

Reaction score
Cydnay Riace being cut?

Jeez everyone this board has targetted pretty much everyone that needs restructure or will probably be released for weeks if not months, this is not news. It is just the media catching up to what everyone here has been talking about. Stories are light right now in the NFL as GM's and teams are in negotiations and doing due dilligence for the draft.

We typically are slow to come out with any concrete information about our deals untill things are done. It's slow mode for a bit.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
EE Esss Peee ENnnnn. Werent thems the ones that said that Seattle Seahawks have extremely little chance of winning the Superb Owl??? Yup. I trust what they say. I think I will wait for the movie. :sarcasm_off

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think the point is that we have already speculated on this in 12 different threads and the new slant in this one is that it was being reported as official. However, as of now the Seahawks have yet to announce anything about it and there have been contradictory reports. Thus, this has turned into the 13th thread of speculation and none of us like the number 13 as much as the number 12 (sorry Phil Bates).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":3en4fteo said:
I think the point is that we have already speculated on this in 12 different threads and the new slant in this one is that it was being reported as official. However, as of now the Seahawks have yet to announce anything about it and there have been contradictory reports. Thus, this has turned into the 13th thread of speculation and none of us like the number 13 as much as the number 12 (sorry Phil Bates).

Not even close to the 8,675 Percy Harvin threads a month ago.

"Wait, what?! Percy Harvin seen limping at the gas station!!!!!!!!".......................*starts new thread*

Latest posts