Seahawks signing Luke Joeckel to 1 year deal per NFLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Even with how bad Joekel has been in Jacksonville, he grades out as an upgrade over every other O-lineman we have other than Britt.

Seymour

Reaction score
IndyHawk":xf8j7d4o said:
People are never going to be happy..We don't have a lot of cap space to buy an elite OL

My question would be...Is this a more certain talent than Okung for around the same $$??

Doubt it personally.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Zombie Hawk":238b3k7q said:
I dont hate the signing but is this going to be another off season where Schneider scrapes the bottom of the barrel for lineman in order to bring in "competition". Lets go out and get a proven guy! :229031_banghead:

Have you seen the prices for "proven" offensive linemen this offseason.

They can go get a "proven" guy, but be prepared for some cuts on the defensive side.

bandiger

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2pt13awi said:
Lang is visiting next week, I'd be much more excited about that signing. Joeckel's been mediocre at best for the Jags.

Probably be the second best lineman on this team if he's healthy other than Britt I don't think this team had an average lineman :lol:

RussB

Reaction score
I actually wanted them to try and get okung back but this is still better than what they currently have and who knows, a change of scenery and actually being on a contender might bring out the best in this guy. He obviously has potential since he was taken so high in the draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bandiger":31mh46x2 said:
Sgt. Largent":31mh46x2 said:
Lang is visiting next week, I'd be much more excited about that signing. Joeckel's been mediocre at best for the Jags.

Probably be the second best lineman on this team if he's healthy other than Britt I don't think this team had an average lineman :lol:

Tru7th

I read Lang was the 5th rated guard last year, conversely Joeckel was 50th. So don't let Lang leave the building, push Ifedi out to tackle and let's get this thing rolling.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Seymour":2ke7obpy said:
IndyHawk":2ke7obpy said:
People are never going to be happy..We don't have a lot of cap space to buy an elite OL

My question would be...Is this a more certain talent than Okung for around the same $$??

Doubt it personally.

Okung at the same money? Where did you ever get that notion?

In this market, Okung will get $12million APY. If Matt Kalil gets $11million, Okung clearly gets more. Plus this speculation assumes that Okung would have any interest in resigning with the team

Plus, the max Joeckel can receive is $8million - it appears to be an incentive laced deal.....

This is a great "buy low" deal - Joeckel still has all of the physical tools to make him the #2 overall pick. I would be upset if the Seahawks threw money on a long term deal at any of the other available OL that have signed. Some really bad deals going down today. This is not one of them.

titan3131

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":m1fp1vyp said:
Siouxhawk":m1fp1vyp said:
There you go Attyla ... one of your guys!

I love this deal when you compare it to Kalil's deal. Even compared to Wagner's deal.

He may have been a bust at #2 overall. But do we all not think he's going to be an upgrade to either Fant or Gilliam?

Getting a modest 1 year prove it deal for a player of his youth. I like the deal, even if I'm not super bullish on the player. What it does do is add to the mix. Seattle has flexibility at OT competition should they need to go that route (meaning Gilliam and Fant don't show improvement in TC).

It's a one year patch. This is a bad year for OL. Perfect allocation of modest cap space for a modest answer while freeing up the draft to cull extremely talent rich position groups.

looking at this move I like it. I view it as the make or break audition for cable. They spend all their time saying how cable is the best Oline coach in the league. Now he has a #2 overall pick that if he can salvage his career and turn him into a good player he can prove his talent.

At this time last year we had 0 faith in Britt being even capable of being a starter. Now he is a borderline probowler... Cable can really prove his worth here and I am excited to see what happens. Xfingerscrossed

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":7hrjo63m said:
This years Sowell.

This.

Should've ponied up and gone after Whitworth-an actual proven commodity whom you know what you will get-even at 35. We had the cap space too.

So instead we sign another bust to join the other busts on our existing rag-tag line. Oh and he's coming off major knee surgery too! Excellent.

Seymour

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":317gfow7 said:
Seymour":317gfow7 said:
IndyHawk":317gfow7 said:

Doubt it personally.

Okung at the same money? Where did you ever get that notion?

In this market, Okung will get $12million APY. If Matt Kalil gets $11million, Okung clearly gets more. Plus this speculation assumes that Okung would have any interest in resigning with the team

Plus, the max Joeckel can receive is $8million - it appears to be an incentive laced deal.....

This is a great "buy low" deal - Joeckel still has all of the physical tools to make him the #2 overall pick. I would be upset if the Seahawks threw money on a long term deal at any of the other available OL that have signed. Some really bad deals going down today. This is not one of them.

Sorry. No way in hell Okung gets $12 million, he made $8M last season and was released. You have to assume as a team that they do make the incentives when it comes to accounting for cap space.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":50kfrbcg said:
IndyHawk":50kfrbcg said:

Doubt it personally.

Probably not. But Okung's contract is not going to be another 1 year flier. And it won't be incentive laden. He'll get the guarantees he didn't get last year.

This market is much better or Okung. So the deals wouldn't be very similar.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I assume "can earn" means it's not guaranteed? Seeing some of the numbers of the other linemen going off the board, if we want to get someone we all like it was going to cost big time.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Wow even with how bad he is, the 2017 Seahawks are already a better team with him.

canfan

Reaction score
A little surprised based on this report from Rotoworld from last October ; "Updating a previous item, Jaguars LG Luke Joeckel underwent season-ending surgery on Thursday to repair a torn ACL, MCL, and meniscus.
The free agent-to-be is looking like a question mark for Week 1 next season."

I hope he is progressing faster than this indicates or there won't be much chance to integrate him into the line in OTAs and training camp.

RussB

Reaction score
They should seriously get lang now that all tackles are basically gone off the market. Then maybe draft a nice tackle and this o line could be solid. They need lang though.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
RussB":1nrdlqu6 said:
They should seriously get lang now that all tackles are basically gone off the market. Then maybe draft a nice tackle and this o line could be solid. They need lang though.

All the tackles are not off the market. lol

You are overreacting big time. Still some solid names out there that would be an upgrade over what we have.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Joeckel is a good signing. It's probably the same deal given to Okung by the Broncos. Incentives probably include workout bonus, in his case, rehab bonus, being around the team the entire off-season. Then another small bonus making the roster, then playing time incentives where he has to compete.

It's a plus he can compete at LT/LG.

I also would take any struggling prospect with the Jags with a grain of salt. At only 25, Joeckel is pretty much the same age Moffitt was entering the league. A year younger than when Giacomini broke in with the Seahawks.

And 2 years younger than Robert Gallery, when Cable took the similar struggling high-profiled OT and developed him into a solid contributor at LG.

I like it. If the Seahawks can get Lang, who I assume starts at RG, kicking Ifedi out. Joeckel will compete with Glowinski, and in the least be another body for the LT competition.

Just with the way the OT class in the draft is this year and what Online are getting on this market this shapes out to be a pretty decent addition. A little risk, but tempered with a short-term deal and incentive base qualifiers. This isn't Webb and Joeckel has a much higher ceiling than Sowell.

It's a little step to add talent to the Oline without investing tons of money. Can't hate that. Definitely like this signing much more than Webb and Sowell last season.

titan3131

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2z2qwu2e said:
Joeckel is a good signing. It's probably the same deal given to Okung by the Broncos. Incentives probably include workout bonus, in his case, rehab bonus, being around the team the entire off-season. Then another small bonus making the roster, then playing time incentives where he has to compete.

It's a plus he can compete at LT/LG.

I also would take any struggling prospect with the Jags with a grain of salt. At only 25, Joeckel is pretty much the same age Moffitt was entering the league. A year younger than when Giacomini broke in with the Seahawks.

And 2 years younger than Robert Gallery, when Cable took the similar struggling high-profiled OT and developed him into a solid contributor at LG.

I like it. If the Seahawks can get Lang, who I assume starts at RG, kicking Ifedi out. Joeckel will compete with Glowinski, and in the least be another body for the LT competition.

Just with the way the OT class in the draft is this year and what Online are getting on this market this shapes out to be a pretty decent addition. A little risk, but tempered with a short-term deal and incentive base qualifiers. This isn't Webb and Joeckel has a much higher ceiling than Sowell.

It's a little step to add talent to the Oline without investing tons of money. Can't hate that. Definitely like this signing much more than Webb and Sowell last season.

Thinking Joekel is a RT, he really struggled with the basics of playing inside at guard, Also he was teammates with Ifedi so playing next to another might give some familiarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.