Seahawks signing Luke Joeckel to 1 year deal per NFLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandiger

Reaction score
Well JS did a master stroke, wow did Okung get a good deal. Good for him
4-year deal for $53M with 25M guaranteed.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Seymour":1bad05tf said:
Spleenhawk2.0":1bad05tf said:
Seymour":1bad05tf said:
IndyHawk":1bad05tf said:
People are never going to be happy..We don't have a lot of cap space to buy an elite OL

My question would be...Is this a more certain talent than Okung for around the same $$??

Doubt it personally.

Okung at the same money? Where did you ever get that notion?

In this market, Okung will get $12million APY. If Matt Kalil gets $11million, Okung clearly gets more. Plus this speculation assumes that Okung would have any interest in resigning with the team

Plus, the max Joeckel can receive is $8million - it appears to be an incentive laced deal.....

This is a great "buy low" deal - Joeckel still has all of the physical tools to make him the #2 overall pick. I would be upset if the Seahawks threw money on a long term deal at any of the other available OL that have signed. Some really bad deals going down today. This is not one of them.

Sorry. No way in hell Okung gets $12 million, he made $8M last season and was released. You have to assume as a team that they do make the incentives when it comes to accounting for cap space.

Boom

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/839967064714539009[/tweet]

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Finally some news.

He certainly was a highly regarded draft pick who so far has busted as a pro. He's athletic enough to match the Hawks OLineman profile and needs coaching up.

Time will tell here.

Seymour

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":3vlq67bd said:
Seymour":3vlq67bd said:
Sorry. No way in hell Okung gets $12 million, he made $8M last season and was released. You have to assume as a team that they do make the incentives when it comes to accounting for cap space.

Boom

Damn! OK...time to eat crow on that. Sorry San Diego Suckers!!

Eating crow

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'd feel better about Joeckel if he hadn't had his MCL/ACL/meniscus repaired last October. That's why the price was so low.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seymour":31d3lwhg said:
Spleenhawk2.0":31d3lwhg said:
Seymour":31d3lwhg said:

Boom

Damn! OK...time to eat crow on that. Sorry San Diego Suckers!!

Eating crow
That Los Angeles Suckers, pal.

;)

Foghawk

Reaction score
I like this move, let's hope he pans out. All he has to do is learn Cable's slide and dive system. :lol:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The $8 mil/yr number is the max Joeckel can receive if he earns all his incentives.

I know this player has physical abiity to play OT or OG in the NFL but so far he hasn't played well enough to have his contract option picked up.

He was a very high 1st rd pick in 2013 and was unversally regarded as a player with potential. This 1 yr. signing may prove out to be a smart move or not, and if not the team won't be on the hook for many of incentives and he will be paid a lot less than $8 mil..

I wonder what position Cable sees him best at playing?

getnasty

Reaction score
Low risk high reward if true. I love the signing it will probably end up being a one year rental if he plays to his ability. Joeckel may be a bust as a number one pick but he's better then any tackle we have at the moment and probably not even close.

NJlargent

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":36clkm80 said:
Largent80":36clkm80 said:
This years Sowell.

This.

Should've ponied up and gone after Whitworth-an actual proven commodity whom you know what you will get-even at 35. We had the cap space too.

So instead we sign another bust to join the other busts on our existing rag-tag line. Oh and he's coming off major knee surgery too! Excellent.

Thanks for saving me the typing

cjcinec56

Reaction score
I think Joeckel may prove to be a good addition as a RT but don't think he fits the bill as a LT. This is not a good draft for LT so the team will have to live with the the poor decisions from previous years for their choices as they had a chance to improve their offensive line by using their draft choices they used on the likes of expendable players like Procise and Collins for core Offensive Line players that could have helped this team in 2016. Pete and John missed the boat last year and the window is closing, As a Seahawks fan I am not happy but just honest about the front office FAILURES to address the Offensive Line that cost this team a chance to win the Super Bowl.

kobebryant

Reaction score
cjcinec56":1y1fmn9y said:
I think Joeckel may prove to be a good addition as a RT but don't think he fits the bill as a LT. This is not a good draft for LT so the team will have to live with the the poor decisions from previous years for their choices as they had a chance to improve their offensive line by using their draft choices they used on the likes of expendable players like Procise and Collins for core Offensive Line players that could have helped this team in 2016. Pete and John missed the boat last year and the window is closing, As a Seahawks fan I am not happy but just honest about the front office FAILURES to address the Offensive Line that cost this team a chance to win the Super Bowl.

Welcome :irishdrinkers:

Which olinemen in last years draft would you have preferred to Prosise or Collins?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Free Agency is a blast. That time of year when fans think they actually know more than Pete or John. And get worked up over stuff they have no control over 8)

"Pick the guy I WANT you to pick"

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I really hope they get lang. Joeckel, glow, Britt, lang, ifedi sounds like a huge improvement to me. Add in competition from guys on the roster, and possible draft picks, who knows, could be an average to decent o line. That's really all this team needs.

Chapow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1lx5iuy6 said:
Free Agency is a blast. That time of year when fans think they actually know more than Pete or John. And get worked up over stuff they have no control over 8)

"Pick the guy I WANT you to pick"

And start proclaiming that next season WILL be a disaster because we haven't spent $94 million on 2 mediocre offensive linemen within the first 10 seconds of free agency.

Good times. :irishdrinkers:

Largent80

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":38iyba9a said:
I'd feel better about Joeckel if he hadn't had his MCL/ACL/meniscus repaired last October. That's why the price was so low.

This is how I'm feeling. Someone will come along and say how modern medicine has shortened recovery...Blah..blah...blah.

Those are the 3 components of your knee, all were torn and operated on.

cjcinec56

Reaction score
Any O lineman that would have improved one of the worst offensive lines in the league over two players that did not see the field much due to lack of talent or injury. 14 o lineman were chosen between Procise and Collins alone that could have possibly helped the 2016 Seahawks. Pete and John outsmarted themselves and cost this team a chance to compete.

Seafan

Reaction score
Largent80":16wzq5hp said:
MontanaHawk05":16wzq5hp said:

This is how I'm feeling. Someone will come along and say how modern medicine has shortened recovery...Blah..blah...blah.

Those are the 3 components of your knee, all were torn and operated on.

I sure he underwent a rigorous physical exam. I'm still meh on this deal, but like last year this is the market and unless the Hawks really break the bank there likely aren't any better deals out there. Signing Joeckel is a gamble but so is signing any FA. I could live with the same OL returning so this is a relative plus. I expected a veteran OL signing and here it is.

My question now is which spot they are shoring up. Every position but center seems possible.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.