Seahawks to Meet w/Michael Bennett's Agent About New Deal

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
edogg23":2hv99jwe said:
dogorama":2hv99jwe said:
...that the Seahawks should do something w/Bennett now because after RW he is the most important player. I can't say I disagree. Over 35 defensive linemen w/more guaranteed money than Bennett.
What if they pay Bennett and Russ has a career year. Stafford gets a new contract bigger than Wilson. Now you have to pay Wilson more money and other players get mad. It will never end.

There is such a thing as exceptional circumstances.

edogg23

Reaction score
Seafan":24xd6lpa said:
Fade":24xd6lpa said:
99.9% of the time I would say no. I was against doing it for Lynch. (I was right). It sets a bad precedent.

Michael Bennett won't re-sign / do an extension with Seattle if they don't do anything with him now. He will be so pissed off he would just play out his deal, and sign somewhere else to spite the front office.

That's what I'm hoping. He becomes a free agent after playing hard for the next two years and commands a huge contract from another team and nets the Hawks a 3rd round pick.

I don't think people understand that he is going on 31 in Oct and it might not be in the Hawks best interest to extend his contract for more years than the 2 he has left. Let another team pay him for his past performance and collect the high draft pick as compensation to start the process all over again....

mikeak

Reaction score
BuZzB28":1k78n225 said:
Michael Bennet was not happy for contract moneys last year? Its true? Then why michael bennet is looking for contract moneys again this year? Whats wrong with him?

Because he didn't get more money last year so he is still unhappy....................

sutz

Reaction score
edogg23":14635xir said:
Seafan":14635xir said:
Fade":14635xir said:
99.9% of the time I would say no. I was against doing it for Lynch. (I was right). It sets a bad precedent.

Michael Bennett won't re-sign / do an extension with Seattle if they don't do anything with him now. He will be so pissed off he would just play out his deal, and sign somewhere else to spite the front office.

That's what I'm hoping. He becomes a free agent after playing hard for the next two years and commands a huge contract from another team and nets the Hawks a 3rd round pick.

I don't think people understand that he is going on 31 in Oct and it might not be in the Hawks best interest to extend his contract for more years than the 2 he has left. Let another team pay him for his past performance and collect the high draft pick as compensation to start the process all over again....
Good point. Perhaps they can do a Marshawn with him and give him some additional guaranteed money without changing the term of the contract much. He's getting close to Clemons territory as far as age. No telling how long he has left. So in his mind, he wants to cash in one more time. Perhaps something can be worked out. He does play like he has at least 1-2 years left at a high level.

LegendKiller

Reaction score
I absolutely despise Michael Bennett. While he may excel at his position, he's a cancer in the locker room. I don't care whether he outperformed his contract, he's gotta man up and honor the contract HE signed. It's because of him that other players start questioning their contracts and making them want more money....he definitely didn't help with Kam's holdout last year. Now he wants a bigger contract with 2 years left on his current one? If the management gives in to him you know what kind of precedent that will set? Other players will see that and want more money too, creating a greedy culture in the locker room. We're better off just letting this guy go and grooming his replacement.

BuZzB28

Reaction score
edogg23":155qhpcp said:
dogorama":155qhpcp said:
...that the Seahawks should do something w/Bennett now because after RW he is the most important player. I can't say I disagree. Over 35 defensive linemen w/more guaranteed money than Bennett.
What if they pay Bennett and Russ has a career year. Stafford gets a new contract bigger than Wilson. Now you have to pay Wilson more money and other players get mad. It will never end.

Your bold is correct. If pay to wilson for 15 to 23 millions that players will be upset and jealous at him. It is big problem because they wanted more moneys. Its sad.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
LegendKiller":1zms9zvd said:
I absolutely despise Michael Bennett. While he may excel at his position, he's a cancer in the locker room. I don't care whether he outperformed his contract, he's gotta man up and honor the contract HE signed. It's because of him that other players start questioning their contracts and making them want more money....he definitely didn't help with Kam's holdout last year. Now he wants a bigger contract with 2 years left on his current one? If the management gives in to him you know what kind of precedent that will set? Other players will see that and want more money too, creating a greedy culture in the locker room. We're better off just letting this guy go and grooming his replacement.

I really don't want to personally offend you but this is just ridiculous, Michael Bennett is NOT a cancer in the locker room. He is not only well liked but well respected, here, and throughout the NFL. Other players will always question their contracts with or without MB, don't forget, they all have agents who know the drill and whose job it is to get everything they can for their client. Contracts are judged by multiple aspects including relative worth compared to other contracts, performance - especially recent performance, and a player's age. It isn't a new phenomena or confined to Michael Bennett, it is ongoing and happens virtually every season somewhere in the NFL.

sutz

Reaction score
dogorama":3iculrk8 said:
LegendKiller":3iculrk8 said:

I really don't want to personally offend you but this is just ridiculous, Michael Bennett is NOT a cancer in the locker room. He is not only well liked but well respected, here, and throughout the NFL. Other players will always question their contracts with or without MB, don't forget, they all have agents who know the drill and whose job it is to get everything they can for their client. Contracts are judged by multiple aspects including relative worth compared to other contracts, performance - especially recent performance, and a player's age. It isn't a new phenomena or confined to Michael Bennett, it is ongoing and happens virtually every season somewhere in the NFL.
Yeah, from what I've read and seen, players rarely hold each other in contempt over these kinds of salary situations. Generally, they're almost supportive. They separate pay issues from their personal relationships for the most part.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Fade":15kpi8mg said:

Michael Bennett won't re-sign / do an extension with Seattle if they don't do anything with him now. He will be so pissed off he would just play out his deal, and sign somewhere else to spite the front office. (He would get more money on the open market anyway). Normally I would be cool with that, but I believe Michael Bennett has 4 more good years left in him.

I agree. He has really only had a couple of years as a starter. I think most of his early career he was a rotational player. He has some tread left on those tires. Also, other than some nagging foot injuries, he has stayed pretty healthy as a d lineman. He is smaller than most d linemen too, so he is in really good shape. I think his size was the main reason he wasn't drafted, and could contribute to him playing into his mid to late 30s.

bighawk

Reaction score
Like I stated earlier he is by far our best lineman I understand no doing a restructuring of his contract with 2 years left but I would make an exception for him. I don't care how old he is we haven't had a guy like him this important to our d-line since Cortez Kennedy. Some guys get better with age and until Frank Clark assumes the crown then pay Bennett. He is to important to our defense.

Latest posts