Seahawks Trade for Eagles Tackle Tobin

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
My god the negativity on this board is tedious. That's why I don't come around much. Seems as though we have many new fans who didn't sit through 30 years of mediocrity. Geezus give the new guy a break; maybe he can be coached up, maybe not. Breathe for a sec...

sdog1981

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":zy3pu9xo said:
My god the negativity on this board is tedious.

Please refer to Oline play, Seahawks, circa 2015-2016 to better understand the current feelings of the conversation.

ducks41468

Reaction score
People are understandably frustrated because we gave up a 5th round pick (a round where we've gotten quality talent in the past) for a fringe player who probably isn't any better than Thompson, who we got without giving up a pick, or Roos. They're all interchangeable players that bounce from team to team for a couple of seasons and play equally poorly. Plus it's preseason and our line already looks poised to be a dumpster fire yet again under Cable.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2ijsmc17 said:
Stats paint a pretty bleak picture about his play, but we needed to do something. Still.....a 5th seems steep for him.

Seeing as we will just turn our 1 or 2 round pick into 6 additional picks is it though?

BigMeach

Reaction score
I trust this FO , so if they see something in him worthy of the risk then so be it. If it doesn't pan out ... we didn't really give up much, especially for our FO who will likely find a way to get it back and then some, while possibly hitting on the 7th rounder we now have.

chris98251

Reaction score
The proof is in the Roster come cut down to 53, if he isn't on it we blew it, if he is then Russell is hopefully a bit safer since we upgraded a spot.

mikeak

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":25f0qm3c said:
My god the negativity on this board is tedious. That's why I don't come around much. Seems as though we have many new fans who didn't sit through 30 years of mediocrity. Geezus give the new guy a break; maybe he can be coached up, maybe not. Breathe for a sec...

So because the Seahawks used to be a bad team we are now not supposed to discuss players?

The guy has not had a very successful career. Nobody is saying we will have a bad season just that this trade isn't really cause for a lot of optimism.

I am annoyed they got rid of a 5th round pick. We usually get value from those. Better if they gave up a first round pick....

How is that for negativity?

TwilightError

Reaction score
So its gonna be another year watching saloon doors acting as o-linemen.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Everyone is freaking out about losing a 5th. We used a 6th to take a flyer on Justin Senior and let that guy walk with an injury designation and nobody batted an eye. That was a complete waste of a pick. At least with trading a 5th, we have some depth for this year because again, we are going to need it.

Injuries happen in football and especially for those guys in the trenches it is hard to stay on the field all the time. Teams that dodge that bullet, have stable, well performing offensive lines are the exception and not the rule. The rest of the league is just trying to do the best they can with what they have. We are no different than the others except that luckily, we have some really good talent in other parts of the team that can help them out.

Jville

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":2jfcqhmx said:

I find the negativity here at .net cold and tenacious. I was compelled to abandon seahawks.net for 2 weeks earlier this month. Relentless negativity is unhealthy.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Looking at the Eagles progress report, it seems he played much better at the LT spot than on the interior. Looks like a good depth signing, and someone who has nice feet and a decent initial punch to play outside.

So we gave a 5th for a guy who stepped in for an All-Pro LT and stood his ground against one of the best pass rushers in the game. He's young and has some experience.

I'm totally fine with this.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
RockinHawks":1qf946jf said:
Looking at the Eagles progress report, it seems he played much better at the LT spot than on the interior. Looks like a good depth signing, and someone who has nice feet and a decent initial punch to play outside.

So we gave a 5th for a guy who stepped in for an All-Pro LT and stood his ground against one of the best pass rushers in the game. He's young and has some experience.

Exactly, please see the video link I posted above. Also, can we please stop acting like a 5th rd pick is always an all pro player? Here is the list

Kam - Great
Sherman - awesome
Mark Legree - who?
Korey toomer- decent pick on the chargers now, but certainly not a pro bowler
Tharold Simon - not on a roster right now
Luke Willson - solid player
Jimmy Staten - on his 7th team in 3 years
Tye Smith - Might make the Titans roster
Quentin Jefferson - injured, hopeful he will be an effective inside pass rusher
Alex Collins - about to be cut

So again, not like this is a guaranteed pro bowler we gave up.

getnasty

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2ci0tf51 said:
getnasty":2ci0tf51 said:
Coug_Hawk08":2ci0tf51 said:
Do Kearse and Lane even have trade value? I keep seeing their names in these o line threads. Their contracts suck for their skill level and they do not play positions with a general dearth of talent. Better players/value will be available at cut down.

Trading Graham, ok. That is fair, we could get something for him.

Yeah I don't think you could give these two away

Hey...you forgot the :sarcasm_on: sign

If Seattle could get rid of those two guys and it not cost them anything, I think they would. Maybe not Lane but I think Kearse for sure.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2z50cjyw said:
RockinHawks":2z50cjyw said:

That's a 20% hit rate, so yeah, a 5th rounder is not exactly a guarantee. Many fans seem to think that the 5th round is a guaranteed star packed round for the Seahawks. More likely they got lucky with Kam and Sherm!

Exactly, please see the video link I posted above. Also, can we please stop acting like a 5th rd pick is always an all pro player? Here is the list

Kam - Great
Sherman - awesome
Mark Legree - who?
Korey toomer- decent pick on the chargers now, but certainly not a pro bowler
Tharold Simon - not on a roster right now
Luke Willson - solid player
Jimmy Staten - on his 7th team in 3 years
Tye Smith - Might make the Titans roster
Quentin Jefferson - injured, hopeful he will be an effective inside pass rusher
Alex Collins - about to be cut

So again, not like this is a guaranteed pro bowler we gave up.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":2xc1zbj3 said:
PlinytheCenter":2xc1zbj3 said:
My god the negativity on this board is tedious.

Please refer to Oline play, Seahawks, circa 2015-2016 to better understand the current feelings of the conversation.

Let's not forget that this guys wasn't a Seahawks lineman. He was an Eagle. He graded out higher than several of our own lineman did who started last year, and signs point to him likely being a depth guy backing up multiple positions on the line and may not even crack our starting units. One thing is for sure, he hasn't played a down for us yet, so we don't know what will happen until he does. Other people's history doesn't have any bearing on whether this guys will be a decent player or not. Heck, he's only been in the league a couple of seasons and came in as an undrafted free agents. How often does an undrafted free agent lineman improve into his 3rd and 4th season?

Is this guy the next Walter Jones (highly unlikely), but we weren't going to get a starter quality left tackle at this point anyway. You take what you can get. At least we got him now so we can have 2 preseason games to throw him to the wolves and see if he is coachable or not. We still have final cuts after game 4 to see if anything better is cut by another team in case he doesn't work out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":hnp7v3ym said:
Sgt. Largent":hnp7v3ym said:
Seymour":hnp7v3ym said:
Sgt. Largent":hnp7v3ym said:
Tobin's a tackle first, and can play guard as well.

Don't read too much into this trade, it's just for depth. Dude's not a starter, but we need bodies with Fant out and Justin Senior being waved.

Two lineman gone, and two more signed. End of story.

The end of story is not until the 2018 draft is over.

So you're solution would be..............................?

Be patient enough for the cut. This guy likely would have been cut and we give up nothing. That or a trade. Kearse, Lane, even Graham (if they don't plan to extend him or go to him in the red zone), for a higher quality lineman.

Neither of these two signings are long term guaranteed contracts. We can cut either player if better options come available after final cutdowns.

It's about getting bodies in camp, ramped up and ready for the regular season so you have competition and depth, and more importantly depth that is ready to fill in if needed.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2a9waf0m said:
Neither of these two signings are long term guaranteed contracts. We can cut either player if better options come available after final cutdowns.

It's about getting bodies in camp, ramped up and ready for the regular season so you have competition and depth, and more importantly depth that is ready to fill in if needed.

EXACTLY!!! I don't understand the thought process of waiting for cuts....this would mean we sit on our hands and do nothing for two weeks. What we have done is brought in two guys to compete and add depth. If anyone better is cut later, we can still pick them up. Seems crazy not to do as much as possible when you are talking about the most glaring weakness on a team.

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":2jdwq0z3 said:
Sgt. Largent":2jdwq0z3 said:

EXACTLY!!! I don't understand the thought process of waiting for cuts....this would mean we sit on our hands and do nothing for two weeks. What we have done is brought in two guys to compete and add depth. If anyone better is cut later, we can still pick them up. Seems crazy not to do as much as possible when you are talking about the most glaring weakness on a team.

"The most glaring weakness on the team" was inherited from last season for the most part. If it is still after just one injury to a basketball player, then not enough was done when we had the chance (or what was done was largely ineffective)

What is not to understand on those who say wait?

It is like a sale. Do you pay full price today, or wait for the sale that is 2 weeks away? Either scenario, you pay the panic premium.