Seahawks trade for Terrelle Pryor

TwilightError

Reaction score
Throwdown":1k49kmkk said:
TwilightError":1k49kmkk said:
I was kinda looking forward to havin Mr. Irrelevant on the roster.. Oh well, Pryor will be fun to watch in the preseason as well.

We weren't gonna have Mr. Irrelevant, Compensatory Picks kept us from that.

I stand corrected.

Pryor vs. Daniels will be interesting in the preseason, unless Tarvaris just outperforms them completely like last preseason with Quinn.

seahawks08

Reaction score
They want to see if he can be developed and start playing like RW. Granted RW is special, but if we can have someone else who can make similar plays, it becomes much more easier for the rest of the team to adjust in case RW is not available for a few snaps. Putting in a backup QB who does not have running skills like RW will make it hard on the offense. Remember Pete's philosophy is the ability to win with a serviceable QB, this is part of the plan. I doubt it would happen, but what if RW reaches a point where he deserves Aaron Rodgers like salary, that would affect keeping other players in the team, so this to me is start as a project and see where it goes. This is purely my opinion.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":178tdka4 said:
Hasselbeck":178tdka4 said:
You're getting up in arms about this while assuming throughout the course of draft weekend that a team notorious for trading back and racking up picks, wont trade back at some point and pick up an extra 7th?

I don't think I assumed that anywhere. Even if they trade for more picks, they're still losing this pick, which is one opportunity cost.
Think of it this way....It's likely to be the very last pick of the draft, and the ONLY way it's a possible "Opportunity Cost" ,is IF the Raiders were to pick the SAME EXACT PLAYER with their pick, otherwise, just on the other side of that pick, the Seahawks could very likely be making a phone call to the player that they'd have taken with that particular pick.

olyfan63

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1q6un24n said:
Think of it this way....It's likely to be the very last pick of the draft, and the ONLY way it's a possible "Opportunity Cost" ,is IF the Raiders were to pick the SAME EXACT PLAYER with their pick, otherwise, just on the other side of that pick, the Seahawks could very likely be making a phone call to the player that they'd have taken with that particular pick.

Nice point! It's very, very unlikely the Raiders would pick the same player the Seahawks would, with that pick.
So the cost is maybe just a few grand extra to lure the UDFA player to camp the Seahawks would have taken.

olyfan63

Reaction score
drdiags":3rth1r1k said:
BAJAHAWK":3rth1r1k said:
Ever thought that with the Kaep extension and possible legal issues that the Whinners really wanted Prior for a backup that is the closes thing to Kaep and give them leverage? To keep him out of their hands forces them to spend the money that Kaep wants and that will effect their salary cap. I personally think he will be converted to WR.

9ers have a couple of 7th rounders. If they really wanted him, they trumped the Seahawks end of the trade-able 7th round picks by a mile. They were interested, just not that interested.

Darn, both good points. The 49ers weren't that interested, and/or the Raiders didn't want to send Pryor there for some cross-town rivalry issue (a wild guess).

I would say that it also could give Seattle some potential leverage in RW contract talks when that time comes.
That's IF Pryor proves serviceable.

It's such a longshot though, that all the other explanations make more sense. For now, I'll just take it at face value that Pete and John brought Pryor in to compete at QB, and see what happens.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Goodbye BJ Daniels. At least he gets a Superbowl ring for the rest of his life.

Smellyman

Reaction score
themunn":3egb0904 said:
I like it

Watching that highlight video, he looks a lot more Russell Wilson than Colin Kaepernick, but with Kaepernick speed.
Great backup material

except Pryor is faster than kaep and RW ran the same 40 time as Kaep

Anthony!

Reaction score
I do not get this move at all, especially if he is not willing to change positions. But I had a bad thought in my stomach and I sure hope I am wrong about it, but we will see, very soon

Throwdown

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what's so bad about the move? He's making next to nothing, better competition for TJack than Daniels, and honestly wasn't as bad as stated in this thread when he was starting in Oakland, and on top of that, it's only a 7th rounder.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Throwdown":25puw81d said:
Can anyone tell me what's so bad about the move? He's making next to nothing, better competition for TJack than Daniels, and honestly wasn't as bad as stated in this thread when he was starting in Oakland, and on top of that, it's only a 7th rounder.

I've come around to the idea of this being a decent trade.

However, worst case scenario (only since you asked for it): The 7th Round pick the Seahawks gave up is used on an offensive tackle, who turns out to be a capable starter. With only six draft picks this year, the Seahawks fail to fill all of their needs, even after being forced to trade down in an attempt to do so. During the season, Pryor is unhappy with being anything other than a starting QB, which fosters some discontent in the locker room. The Seahawks keep Pryor and pay him his full $900k salary because they don't want the trade to be a total loss. Despite being given an opportunity to become Wilson's backup, Pryor signs with another team in free agency in pursuit of once again being a starting QB, something he may never attain. In hindsight, the $900k could have been used for something better, such as re-signing FB Michael Robinson. Moral of the story: the Seahawks exchanged a potential player of need for a 3rd string QB who complains about having to ride the pine all season.

Best case scenario is Pryor relishes the opportunity to play different roles in the offense and becomes a positive locker room presence. The Seahawks find a way to re-sign both Pryor and Jackson to cap friendly deals in 2015. Seahawks go for the Three-Pete. Everyone lives happily ever after.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2ftgflau said:
Last year the arms race in the NFC West involved talented players like Harvin and Boldin. This year, the race appears to be to acquire mediocre QBs.
Brainless posts must be a close second.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Very interesting trade. Seems like he'll battle with Tjack for 2nd string. My money is on Pryor as he is younger, cheaper and has more upside

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Can you imagine the amount of trick plays we can have when RW, Prior and Percy all line up on the same play?
Just imagine the speed available on the roster.
I doubt we traded for Pryor without knowing, he is willing to switch positions. Pryor as a starting QB has no future in the NFL. Let's face it, he is light years away from T. Jack.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
It should be pointed out Terrelle Pryor score on the Wonderlic test was one of the worst ever, especially for a QB, at a whopping 7 out of 50.....for comparison Russell was a 28, Kaepernick a 38, Peyton a 28, Brady a 33, Vick a 20, Newton a 21 . Even the average Janitor has scored a 14 on this test. His score wasn't even below average, it was pitiful.

While a good score doesn't necessarily equal good QB, an awful score can suggest the guy has serious cognitive issues preventing him from being an NFL QB. Reminds me of Willie Beamon in Any Given Sunday, just runs because its what he does best and ignores the playbook all together. I think they end up moving him to WR, would make the most sense based on his athleticism, and our need for a big, athletic wideout.

theascension

Reaction score
Apparently Seattle tried B.J Daniels in non quarterback positions last year.
I see this trade as nothing but positive. Give Pryor one last chance to become something valuable for very cheap (you'll never find a talent like him in the 7th round) and if not let him go after next year.
I could see him and Harvin lined up on Jet Sweep plays or screens very easily.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Richard Sherman + Terrelle Pryor = Richard Pryor?
Now that's a combination I can get behind ... Give me Richard Pryor any day.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
My honest take after some time to think about it. Some thoughts.

Seattle did not trade a pick to examine Pryor. We have enough 7th rounders and UDFA's on this team not to cheaply give them away. Any trade for Pryor would have included talks with both Pryor and his agent.

This is the ragged end of Pete getting his hands on college players he has seen since they were high school phenoms. Harvin, Pryor, both are superior athletes that it isn't easy to label the skill set.

The big question for me is position switch. Pryor and Rosenhaus have had at least 4 weeks now to understand that the NFL has very little interest in him as a QB. Pryor is facing a contract year where he makes only 705,000.00 and the prospect that any team that signs him to play QB will not be looking to give him anything but a 3rd QB deal. Financially, for 2014 at least, being open to showing his athleticism at other positions has to be on the table. Up to now, Pryor has been adamant that he is not only a QB, but a starter. It was Pryor who demanded the trade when Schaub was signed. Whether he did so under advice from Drew is unclear, but I doubt that is the case. It has been 4 weeks since that demand, and the flood of phone calls likely expected by Pryor never materialized. This isn't like his pro day, where 17 teams showed up (Seattle was not one of them). IMO, the only reason besides pride Pryor has for wanting to be a starter at QB is money. 4 weeks facing the fact that the NFL is not lining up to give him a shot at QB money has to be a wake up call of sorts. Drew Rosenhaus may be a turd, but he is not an idiot about money. If Pryor wants an NFL payday, for 2015 at least it is not going to be at QB, but it could be at WR.

The Seattle front office has already publicly labeled him an athlete, not a QB. Pryor fits the Seattle prototype at WR. His NFL prospects at QB are dim, but at WR they are not. Seattle already has an athlete at WR who blurs positional lines, Harvin can impact a game without seeing hardly a single pass. To me, all signs point to similarly blurred lines positionally for Pryor. I expect in the coming days for some word to leak out about just such a thing.