Seahawks trade for Terrelle Pryor

McGruff

Reaction score
IMO this is kinda like trading for Lendale White . . . if it works, awesome. If not, cut the man and move on with little to no damage to your team.

kidhawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1cwymapx said:
Very interesting trade. Seems like he'll battle with Tjack for 2nd string. My money is on Pryor as he is younger, cheaper and has more upside

Actually, as I was reminded yesterday, TJack signed a guaranteed contract, so although Pryor has less money owed this season, we are paying Jackson no matter what we do, so we don't "save" money if we were to keep Pryor over Jackson. Now, Daniels on the other hand, is only making 210k less than pryor, so swapping them out is a minimal hit to the cap and IMO you have more of an upside potential with Pryor.

I'm sure Pete and John have a plan and I'm not against this trade at all. A bit surprised, but not against it at all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If we're bringing in Pryor to compete for the backup job, I am not excited over this move. If we're bringing in Pryor to develop him into an H-Back/TE, then I love this trade.

Pryor is a phenomenal athlete, but he's not a good NFL QB.

chrispy

Reaction score
We all tend to look at it from the Seahawks' view, our FO. What about from Pryor's view? What would make this a destination he'd want? There one big reason he wouldn't want to come here. There's not much chance he'll start.

But he knows he'll get an honest chance to compete. He beat out Flynn in Oakland. RW beat out Flynn here. He may believe that he could beat out RW. At the very least, he knows, if he shows talent, he'll get snaps with the #1 team. Whether it's a draw for him or not, PC/JS know that hanging out with RW will increase his value whether it's at QB or WR or just as a person.

I would think that PC/JS told him that he could compete at QB. When have they ever indicated that competition is a negative. (Maybe it'll motivate RW since he obviously is taking this offseason lightly :sarcasm_on: ) ... and they have the credibility that he should believe them.

But I would further guess that they said, "If you don't win the starting QB job, would you give another, hybrid/unique position a shot?" It's really Pryor's best situation. He gets the chance to win a starting QB job with a fall-back of playing in another role. -And it's beleivable- Other teams (including SF) probably said the same thing but he should know that, in reality, he's being brought in as a back-up QB. No other team is credible when they say, "Come compete against our ingrained starter." He knows he'd be the scout team QB anywhere else. Here, he determines his own destiny.

We can all predict that he won't beat our RW, but doesn't it make sense that he'd just want one last chance. And Seattle was the only place where he believed he'd get one. Look at Oakland: He won the job but then got thrown under the bus when the team underperformed (from his perspective it's probably not his fault.) Then, if he doesn't start at QB, he still has the opportunity to end up in a similar role to what every other team is currently offering- backup or different position or hybrid.

There's good reason for PC/JS to bring him in too. As stated above, isn't it obvious that a significant amount of time as RW's understudy will increase his value? You've got TJack and RW showing you the ropes. He could be flipped to the Jags for a 2015 5th rounder after camp.

kidhawk

Reaction score
chrispy":1ygs9yem said:
We all tend to look at it from the Seahawks' view, our FO. What about from Pryor's view? What would make this a destination he'd want? There one big reason he wouldn't want to come here. There's not much chance he'll start.

But he knows he'll get an honest chance to compete. He beat out Flynn in Oakland. RW beat out Flynn here. He may believe that he could beat out RW. At the very least, he knows, if he shows talent, he'll get snaps with the #1 team. Whether it's a draw for him or not, PC/JS know that hanging out with RW will increase his value whether it's at QB or WR or just as a person.

I would think that PC/JS told him that he could compete at QB. When have they ever indicated that competition is a negative. (Maybe it'll motivate RW since he obviously is taking this offseason lightly :sarcasm_on: ) ... and they have the credibility that he should believe them.

But I would further guess that they said, "If you don't win the starting QB job, would you give another, hybrid/unique position a shot?" It's really Pryor's best situation. He gets the chance to win a starting QB job with a fall-back of playing in another role. -And it's beleivable- Other teams (including SF) probably said the same thing but he should know that, in reality, he's being brought in as a back-up QB. No other team is credible when they say, "Come compete against our ingrained starter." He knows he'd be the scout team QB anywhere else. Here, he determines his own destiny.

We can all predict that he won't beat our RW, but doesn't it make sense that he'd just want one last chance. And Seattle was the only place where he believed he'd get one. Look at Oakland: He won the job but then got thrown under the bus when the team underperformed (from his perspective it's probably not his fault.) Then, if he doesn't start at QB, he still has the opportunity to end up in a similar role to what every other team is currently offering- backup or different position or hybrid.

There's good reason for PC/JS to bring him in too. As stated above, isn't it obvious that a significant amount of time as RW's understudy will increase his value? You've got TJack and RW showing you the ropes. He could be flipped to the Jags for a 2015 5th rounder after camp.

Pryor's opinion only matters in so much as the attitude he brings. He doesn't have a no trade clause in his contract with the Raiders (that I'm aware of), so he really has no say in the matter. The fact that he wants an opportunity to start means only that there is less of a chance that we retain him after this season, but if our locker room is as good as the players seem to say that it is, a year in the system could change his mind. All in all, it's a low risk move considering his cost and the pick we gave up to get him.

NorCal

Reaction score
I think its a good move. I wanted SF to get him. Low risk and cheap. I believe a huge part of success in the NFL is player development. It is not that huge of a move to get him, try to develop him as a QB and flip him for more value, or move him positions. If iit doesn't work out, so what. All you lost is a 7th, at most.

Plus, SEA's roster is like SF in that there are not a ton of spots for a 7th Rd player to make the squad.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1gy1slci said:
@Curtis_Crabtree: Of course... RT @ProFootballTalk: Per multiple sources, the Seahawks and the 49ers were both pursuing a trade for Terrelle Pryor.

LOL! "Haha!" *points at 49ers* (He could have been a dangerous backup for them)

rigelian

Reaction score
HawkNuts":35m6ajli said:
I'm drawing a blank on all of those QB turned WR's that have stormed the league. It has been tried several times but rarely does anything come of it.

Gene Washington, Stanford QB. All pro NFL WR in SF.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
When my wife told me about this last night, I went "What?!" Then I said, "Well, there's that first out-of-the-blue, head-scratching move of the offseason." We should all know it's coming, but it always catches everyone off-guard. Really, it's just more fun that way.

I can't wait to see how this shakes out. Make him the non-douchy Jimmy Graham, as was mentioned previously, and enjoy the fireworks!

Basis4day

Reaction score
rigelian":1grq7eay said:
HawkNuts":1grq7eay said:
I'm drawing a blank on all of those QB turned WR's that have stormed the league. It has been tried several times but rarely does anything come of it.

I don't think he was referring to players that made the switch while in college. Washington was a QB for one year at Stanford in 1966. He made only two passing attempts the next two years before playing WR in 1968 with 1117 yards and 8 tds receiving.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rigelian":36j2aaoe said:
HawkNuts":36j2aaoe said:

Hines Ward. Antwaan Randle El. Bert Emanuel. Just a few off the top of my head.

Just my 2 cents. I would have liked the Niners to get him, but I don't see this as a huge move. As some have said he can simulate Kap, but he doesn't have Kaps tools. He is faster and might even be more nimble on his feet but he's nowhere near as accurate and does not have anything close to the arm Kap has. Theres a reason he was available for a 7. He also doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed.

He is a fantastic athlete though and I'd have liked to see the 49ers give him a shot as a WR or TE. The physical gifts are tough to ignore.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I honestly don't see Pryor as ever reaching the level of TJack, so this move is a head-scratcher if Pryor is being looked at as a qb.

As others have speculated, maybe the plan is to just find ways to put him on the field (te, wr, rb) that give him chances to make plays. Even if that is the case, I assume he would need a fair amount of work to be effective.

Pete and John have surprised me before, but I don't think this ends up a successful reclamation project. I think it will be just another low-cost move that doesn't work out and we move on to the next one.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3p70sey0 said:
My honest take after some time to think about it. Some thoughts.

Seattle did not trade a pick to examine Pryor. We have enough 7th rounders and UDFA's on this team not to cheaply give them away. Any trade for Pryor would have included talks with both Pryor and his agent.

This is the ragged end of Pete getting his hands on college players he has seen since they were high school phenoms. Harvin, Pryor, both are superior athletes that it isn't easy to label the skill set.

The big question for me is position switch. Pryor and Rosenhaus have had at least 4 weeks now to understand that the NFL has very little interest in him as a QB. Pryor is facing a contract year where he makes only 705,000.00 and the prospect that any team that signs him to play QB will not be looking to give him anything but a 3rd QB deal. Financially, for 2014 at least, being open to showing his athleticism at other positions has to be on the table. Up to now, Pryor has been adamant that he is not only a QB, but a starter. It was Pryor who demanded the trade when Schaub was signed. Whether he did so under advice from Drew is unclear, but I doubt that is the case. It has been 4 weeks since that demand, and the flood of phone calls likely expected by Pryor never materialized. This isn't like his pro day, where 17 teams showed up (Seattle was not one of them). IMO, the only reason besides pride Pryor has for wanting to be a starter at QB is money. 4 weeks facing the fact that the NFL is not lining up to give him a shot at QB money has to be a wake up call of sorts. Drew Rosenhaus may be a turd, but he is not an idiot about money. If Pryor wants an NFL payday, for 2015 at least it is not going to be at QB, but it could be at WR.

The Seattle front office has already publicly labeled him an athlete, not a QB. Pryor fits the Seattle prototype at WR. His NFL prospects at QB are dim, but at WR they are not. Seattle already has an athlete at WR who blurs positional lines, Harvin can impact a game without seeing hardly a single pass. To me, all signs point to similarly blurred lines positionally for Pryor. I expect in the coming days for some word to leak out about just such a thing.

This is kinda where my head is at. You have to believe that Drew Rosenhaus (or whoever at his agency is looking after Pryor) has seen how the whole Tim Tebow saga went down, especially in regard to Tim's bone headed refusal to change positions, and will at some point get in his ear about it. After all, it's hard to get *Paid* if you aren't even in the league.

And regardless of position, Pryor is a phenom athlete. If you haven't noticed, we tend to put a big premium on phenom athletes. We have a great coaching staff that can teach a guy the finer points of playing H-Back (or Fullback, or Flanker, or whatever) but they can't teach a guy how to be 6'4" and run a 4.38 40.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Pryor looked awful....on the Raiders. The Raiders are such a crap team with no offense. Matt Flynn is not a BAD QB. He kept the Packers in the playoff hunt when he subbed for Rodgers. He is a competent #2 QB. On the Raiders he looked awful. So just because Pryor looked bad doesn't really tell us much about his potential. What DOES tell us something is the times he actually looked GOOD for the Raiders. It tells us he HAS potential.

We got him for a 7th rd pick. That's a fantastic 7th rd. pick.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2bzgxgwd said:
Pryor looked awful....on the Raiders. The Raiders are such a crap team with no offense. Matt Flynn is not a BAD QB. He kept the Packers in the playoff hunt when he subbed for Rodgers. He is a competent #2 QB. On the Raiders he looked awful. So just because Pryor looked bad doesn't really tell us much about his potential. What DOES tell us something is the times he actually looked GOOD for the Raiders. It tells us he HAS potential.

If nothing else Pryor will be great during practice to emulate Kaepernick or Newton. He has the size and speed to be great practice for our D.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2mpgy3hw said:

LOL. Not gonna comment on his potential because he's a great athlete...just laughing at the argument about the team he was on sucking so we really don't know anything. It is of course completely true, but I didn't hear many people saying that here when the 49ers acquired Blaine Gabbert.

No worries. Just funny.

Largent80

Reaction score
HawkFan72":ldygsurz said:
If nothing else Pryor will be great during practice to emulate Kaepernick or Newton. He has the size and speed to be great practice for our D.

I thought this as well. And not so much emulating but giving the defense a speed wrinkle.

chrispy

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":re0zs58g said:
When my wife told me about this last night, I went "What?!" Then I said, "Well, there's that first out-of-the-blue, head-scratching move of the offseason." We should all know it's coming, but it always catches everyone off-guard. Really, it's just more fun that way.

I can't wait to see how this shakes out. Make him the non-douchy Jimmy Graham, as was mentioned previously, and enjoy the fireworks!

I can envision a Seahawk's #2 jersey with the name on the back:
"Non-Douchy Jimmy Graham"

CANHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3msf0i2a said:
SalishHawkFan":3msf0i2a said:

LOL. Not gonna comment on his potential because he's a great athlete...just laughing at the argument about the team he was on sucking so we really don't know anything. It is of course completely true, but I didn't hear many people saying that here when the 49ers acquired Blaine Gabbert.

No worries. Just funny.

True, but I think Gabbert's probably gone a little too far down the same street David Carr went down; ie. he poops his pants and falls into the fetal position every time someone brushes past him on the street.