Seahawks trade for Terrelle Pryor

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The seemingly obvious caveat in this scenario is that when the time comes they believe that TP is good enough to take over. Big if. But that's obvious. Right?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
tom sawyer":1cnd9jnb said:
CANHawk":1cnd9jnb said:
Scottemojo":1cnd9jnb said:
My honest take after some time to think about it. Some thoughts.

Seattle did not trade a pick to examine Pryor. We have enough 7th rounders and UDFA's on this team not to cheaply give them away. Any trade for Pryor would have included talks with both Pryor and his agent.

This is the ragged end of Pete getting his hands on college players he has seen since they were high school phenoms. Harvin, Pryor, both are superior athletes that it isn't easy to label the skill set.

The big question for me is position switch. Pryor and Rosenhaus have had at least 4 weeks now to understand that the NFL has very little interest in him as a QB. Pryor is facing a contract year where he makes only 705,000.00 and the prospect that any team that signs him to play QB will not be looking to give him anything but a 3rd QB deal. Financially, for 2014 at least, being open to showing his athleticism at other positions has to be on the table. Up to now, Pryor has been adamant that he is not only a QB, but a starter. It was Pryor who demanded the trade when Schaub was signed. Whether he did so under advice from Drew is unclear, but I doubt that is the case. It has been 4 weeks since that demand, and the flood of phone calls likely expected by Pryor never materialized. This isn't like his pro day, where 17 teams showed up (Seattle was not one of them). IMO, the only reason besides pride Pryor has for wanting to be a starter at QB is money. 4 weeks facing the fact that the NFL is not lining up to give him a shot at QB money has to be a wake up call of sorts. Drew Rosenhaus may be a turd, but he is not an idiot about money. If Pryor wants an NFL payday, for 2015 at least it is not going to be at QB, but it could be at WR.

The Seattle front office has already publicly labeled him an athlete, not a QB. Pryor fits the Seattle prototype at WR. His NFL prospects at QB are dim, but at WR they are not. Seattle already has an athlete at WR who blurs positional lines, Harvin can impact a game without seeing hardly a single pass. To me, all signs point to similarly blurred lines positionally for Pryor. I expect in the coming days for some word to leak out about just such a thing.

This is kinda where my head is at. You have to believe that Drew Rosenhaus (or whoever at his agency is looking after Pryor) has seen how the whole Tim Tebow saga went down, especially in regard to Tim's bone headed refusal to change positions, and will at some point get in his ear about it. After all, it's hard to get *Paid* if you aren't even in the league.

And regardless of position, Pryor is a phenom athlete. If you haven't noticed, we tend to put a big premium on phenom athletes. We have a great coaching staff that can teach a guy the finer points of playing H-Back (or Fullback, or Flanker, or whatever) but they can't teach a guy how to be 6'4" and run a 4.38 40.

meh ... could be.

Actually quite an astute assessment I say.

I will add to my own speculation. On Sirius, JS called him a SLASH player. Said they think of him as QB, but they want coaches to get eyes on him to see what he can do athletically.
Pat Kirwan said if one coach in the NFL can talk Pryor into a position switch, it is Pete.
My prediction based on that is that is that even if Pryor still wants to be a starting QB, Seattle signed him thinking they can talk him into more.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":b9k4enja said:
Largent80":b9k4enja said:
TP will fill in all the cracks.

So, TP will be relegated to clean-up duty?
At any point following a game this fall will we say that TP looked shitty today?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
For those who are still scratching their heads over this one, think about this move from this perspective ...

Imagine for a second that Terrell Pryor was coming out in THIS draft. Are you telling me that he's not worth a low 7th round draft choice? Hardly. This guy is an athlete, that's for sure. Schneider was really clear about that today -- that they aren't married to the idea of him necessarily being a quarterback. He has great size, speed, and lot of athletic talent. He could be quite useful as a situational WR, punt returner, or heck (really thinking outside the box here) a defensive back. This coaching staff has shown a fantastic eye for talent and a real ability to coach guys up (think J.R. Sweezy position switch here). If he ends up as our backup QB -- great! If he ends up helping out the team in some other area -- great! If he ends up getting cut though (Shrug) no big deal. It's not like they gave up a lot to get him. I'm certainly intrigued by Pryor and what the Hawks end up doing with him heading in to training camp.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Scottemojo":dve5i897 said:
HoustonHawk82":dve5i897 said:
Largent80":dve5i897 said:
TP will fill in all the cracks.

So, TP will be relegated to clean-up duty?
At any point following a game this fall will we say that TP looked shitty today?

We will wipe the field with him. :sarcasm_off:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

General Manager

Reaction score
I was just listening to Baldwin on 710 who was in JS's office when the deal went down and talked about it with him . He said he didn't think there was any truth to the rumor Pryor is coming in to play another position. JS himself equated converting him to another position to fantasy football on Sirius .

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I believe there's 2.5 reasons we traded for him: 1) to keep him away from SF, and 2a) to see if he has what it takes to start for this team in the however likely or unlikely scenario that Russell goes to play somewhere else when his contract is up, and 2b) to potentially be Russell's backup in the meantime. If he has other services he can provide for this team then I'm sure PC & JS will take full advantage of them.

Anthony!

Reaction score
General Manager":2mht0nzn said:
I was just listening to Baldwin on 710 who was in JS's office when the deal went down and talked about it with him . He said he didn't think there was any truth to the rumor Pryor is coming in to play another position. JS himself equated converting him to another position to fantasy football on Sirius .

Interesting since he also said on KJR that a position switch is possible. If he is hear to play QB, then this could be very interesting and also very costly.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Anthony!":2u8mzffc said:
If he is hear to play QB, then this could be very interesting and also very costly.

If you consider getting rid of BJ Daniels this year or letting TJ! sign elsewhere after his contract runs out next year very costly then yeah. You're absolutely right.

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Anthony!":2ksnmm7b said:
General Manager":2ksnmm7b said:

Interesting since he also said on KJR that a position switch is possible. If he is hear to play QB, then this could be very interesting and also very costly.

Costly? How? Is it going to stop the team from resigning RW? Is the loss of BJ Daniels going to be felt more dramatically than we thought

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1rqv7k7v said:
tom sawyer":1rqv7k7v said:
CANHawk":1rqv7k7v said:
Scottemojo":1rqv7k7v said:
My honest take after some time to think about it. Some thoughts.

Seattle did not trade a pick to examine Pryor. We have enough 7th rounders and UDFA's on this team not to cheaply give them away. Any trade for Pryor would have included talks with both Pryor and his agent.

This is the ragged end of Pete getting his hands on college players he has seen since they were high school phenoms. Harvin, Pryor, both are superior athletes that it isn't easy to label the skill set.

The big question for me is position switch. Pryor and Rosenhaus have had at least 4 weeks now to understand that the NFL has very little interest in him as a QB. Pryor is facing a contract year where he makes only 705,000.00 and the prospect that any team that signs him to play QB will not be looking to give him anything but a 3rd QB deal. Financially, for 2014 at least, being open to showing his athleticism at other positions has to be on the table. Up to now, Pryor has been adamant that he is not only a QB, but a starter. It was Pryor who demanded the trade when Schaub was signed. Whether he did so under advice from Drew is unclear, but I doubt that is the case. It has been 4 weeks since that demand, and the flood of phone calls likely expected by Pryor never materialized. This isn't like his pro day, where 17 teams showed up (Seattle was not one of them). IMO, the only reason besides pride Pryor has for wanting to be a starter at QB is money. 4 weeks facing the fact that the NFL is not lining up to give him a shot at QB money has to be a wake up call of sorts. Drew Rosenhaus may be a turd, but he is not an idiot about money. If Pryor wants an NFL payday, for 2015 at least it is not going to be at QB, but it could be at WR.

The Seattle front office has already publicly labeled him an athlete, not a QB. Pryor fits the Seattle prototype at WR. His NFL prospects at QB are dim, but at WR they are not. Seattle already has an athlete at WR who blurs positional lines, Harvin can impact a game without seeing hardly a single pass. To me, all signs point to similarly blurred lines positionally for Pryor. I expect in the coming days for some word to leak out about just such a thing.

This is kinda where my head is at. You have to believe that Drew Rosenhaus (or whoever at his agency is looking after Pryor) has seen how the whole Tim Tebow saga went down, especially in regard to Tim's bone headed refusal to change positions, and will at some point get in his ear about it. After all, it's hard to get *Paid* if you aren't even in the league.

And regardless of position, Pryor is a phenom athlete. If you haven't noticed, we tend to put a big premium on phenom athletes. We have a great coaching staff that can teach a guy the finer points of playing H-Back (or Fullback, or Flanker, or whatever) but they can't teach a guy how to be 6'4" and run a 4.38 40.

meh ... could be.

Actually quite an astute assessment I say.

I will add to my own speculation. On Sirius, JS called him a SLASH player. Said they think of him as QB, but they want coaches to get eyes on him to see what he can do athletically.
Pat Kirwan said if one coach in the NFL can talk Pryor into a position switch, it is Pete.
My prediction based on that is that is that even if Pryor still wants to be a starting QB, Seattle signed him thinking they can talk him into more.

Would love to see it!

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I think people tend to ignore the fact that if these next 2 seasons go how we all want them to then Russell is probably going to become the highest paid player in the history of this league. And if you consider the fact that we're about to make Sherm the highest paid corner in the league and Earl the highest paid safety in the league then there's a possibility that RW is going to be playing somewhere else in 2016. I know, I hate the idea as much as you do, but it's still a possibility. Probably a good idea to have a contingency plan.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1825bcgs said:
Anthony!":1825bcgs said:
If he is hear to play QB, then this could be very interesting and also very costly.

If you consider getting rid of BJ Daniels this year or letting TJ! sign elsewhere after his contract runs out next year very costly then yeah. You're absolutely right.

You never know. We coulda snagged a future Super Bowl MVP with that pick ;)