Seahawks trade for Terrelle Pryor

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2nzxleqw said:
I think people tend to ignore the fact that if these next 2 seasons go how we all want them to then Russell is probably going to become the highest paid player in the history of this league. And if you consider the fact that we're about to make Sherm the highest paid corner in the league and Earl the highest paid safety in the league then there's a possibility that RW is going to be playing somewhere else in 2016. I know, I hate the idea as much as you do, but it's still a possibility. Probably a good idea to have a contingency plan.

Russ isn't going anywhere.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Ziggyy108":3571aagk said:
Zebulon Dak":3571aagk said:
I think people tend to ignore the fact that if these next 2 seasons go how we all want them to then Russell is probably going to become the highest paid player in the history of this league. And if you consider the fact that we're about to make Sherm the highest paid corner in the league and Earl the highest paid safety in the league then there's a possibility that RW is going to be playing somewhere else in 2016. I know, I hate the idea as much as you do, but it's still a possibility. Probably a good idea to have a contingency plan.

Russ isn't going anywhere.

I hope you're right and I believe that if there's a front office that can pull it off it's this one.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":a9aka8w7 said:
I hope you're right and I believe that if there's a front office that can pull it off it's this one.

The salary cap in 2014 is 133 million, up ten million from 2013. With the speculation that the salary cap could rise to 150 million in 2016 i'd say there isn't reason for fans to stress about Russell Wilson's salary cap implications should Sherman or Thomas be extended soon.

While player's salaries will obviously inflate as a result of an increased salary cap, it won't happen instantly. It will take an accumulation of salaries across the league to set the market under the future numbers.

All the more reason to lock a top tier player like Sherman or Thomas to top tier salaries in accordance with today's numbers.

And don't forget that having the richest owner in the NFL allows the FO to use prorated signing bonuses to manage the cap hits more than other teams can.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1wrm2lfr said:
tom sawyer":1wrm2lfr said:
CANHawk":1wrm2lfr said:
Scottemojo":1wrm2lfr said:
My honest take after some time to think about it. Some thoughts.

Seattle did not trade a pick to examine Pryor. We have enough 7th rounders and UDFA's on this team not to cheaply give them away. Any trade for Pryor would have included talks with both Pryor and his agent.

This is the ragged end of Pete getting his hands on college players he has seen since they were high school phenoms. Harvin, Pryor, both are superior athletes that it isn't easy to label the skill set.

The big question for me is position switch. Pryor and Rosenhaus have had at least 4 weeks now to understand that the NFL has very little interest in him as a QB. Pryor is facing a contract year where he makes only 705,000.00 and the prospect that any team that signs him to play QB will not be looking to give him anything but a 3rd QB deal. Financially, for 2014 at least, being open to showing his athleticism at other positions has to be on the table. Up to now, Pryor has been adamant that he is not only a QB, but a starter. It was Pryor who demanded the trade when Schaub was signed. Whether he did so under advice from Drew is unclear, but I doubt that is the case. It has been 4 weeks since that demand, and the flood of phone calls likely expected by Pryor never materialized. This isn't like his pro day, where 17 teams showed up (Seattle was not one of them). IMO, the only reason besides pride Pryor has for wanting to be a starter at QB is money. 4 weeks facing the fact that the NFL is not lining up to give him a shot at QB money has to be a wake up call of sorts. Drew Rosenhaus may be a turd, but he is not an idiot about money. If Pryor wants an NFL payday, for 2015 at least it is not going to be at QB, but it could be at WR.

The Seattle front office has already publicly labeled him an athlete, not a QB. Pryor fits the Seattle prototype at WR. His NFL prospects at QB are dim, but at WR they are not. Seattle already has an athlete at WR who blurs positional lines, Harvin can impact a game without seeing hardly a single pass. To me, all signs point to similarly blurred lines positionally for Pryor. I expect in the coming days for some word to leak out about just such a thing.

This is kinda where my head is at. You have to believe that Drew Rosenhaus (or whoever at his agency is looking after Pryor) has seen how the whole Tim Tebow saga went down, especially in regard to Tim's bone headed refusal to change positions, and will at some point get in his ear about it. After all, it's hard to get *Paid* if you aren't even in the league.

And regardless of position, Pryor is a phenom athlete. If you haven't noticed, we tend to put a big premium on phenom athletes. We have a great coaching staff that can teach a guy the finer points of playing H-Back (or Fullback, or Flanker, or whatever) but they can't teach a guy how to be 6'4" and run a 4.38 40.

meh ... could be.

Actually quite an astute assessment I say.

I will add to my own speculation. On Sirius, JS called him a SLASH player. Said they think of him as QB, but they want coaches to get eyes on him to see what he can do athletically.
Pat Kirwan said if one coach in the NFL can talk Pryor into a position switch, it is Pete.
My prediction based on that is that is that even if Pryor still wants to be a starting QB, Seattle signed him thinking they can talk him into more.
He may be viewed as a TE/WR for switch but I think with his height and speed he fits as a Corner/PR in the Hawks scheme ..It may take awhile to make it work but if anyone can make it happen it's Pete..There are ways I can see him being in the offense with Harvin and Angry Doug..It would cause so many mismatches..I think this will be fun to follow and see what vision Pete has with his new toy... :0190l:

Basis4day

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3604tzea said:
He may be viewed as a TE/WR for switch but I think with his height and speed he fits as a Corner/PR in the Hawks scheme ..It may take awhile to make it work but if anyone can make it happen it's Pete..There are ways I can see him being in the offense with Harvin and Angry Doug..It would cause so many mismatches..I think this will be fun to follow and see what vision Pete has with his new toy... :0190l:

Keep in mind hes only under contract for one season.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that this is a team that once had guys like LenDale White, Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards, & Terrell Owens on the roster. Don't think for a second that giving up a 7th rounder means we're married to the guy.

randomation

Reaction score
Basis4day":epss7l42 said:
Zebulon Dak":epss7l42 said:

The salary cap in 2014 is 133 million, up ten million from 2013. With the speculation that the salary cap could rise to 150 million in 2016 i'd say there isn't reason for fans to stress about Russell Wilson's salary cap implications should Sherman or Thomas be extended soon.

While player's salaries will obviously inflate as a result of an increased salary cap, it won't happen instantly. It will take an accumulation of salaries across the league to set the market under the future numbers.

All the more reason to lock a top tier player like Sherman or Thomas to top tier salaries in accordance with today's numbers.

And don't forget that having the richest owner in the NFL allows the FO to use prorated signing bonuses to manage the cap hits more than other teams can.

Personally I think teams should be scrambling to extend their stars to long term contracts in the next two seasons or so period. If the cap continues to rise at this insane rate deals that seem nuts now could be common place and most stars are going to want the deals that seem nuts. Remember when manning signed his deal for 18 million a year and people thought it was insanely high now that is what you pay a qb who isn't even elite yet just on the cusp. The nfl is raking in dollars and the cap will likely keep rising so getting the deals that seem crazy now and locking people up for 5 plus years to them is actually brilliant. At least that is my feeling /shrug.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":ushajuk4 said:
Someone on another board, suggested this is to put pressure on Rw for contract time, That they are serious about Pryor, and if they feel he can turn into a serviceable QB, they might let Rw walk and save money. The feeling by this person and a few others is the FO feels they can use any serviceable, mobile QB on this team. Mind you I do not for one minute believe that, but thee are some who do.

Riiiight, that other somebody is talking out their butt. It's really exceptionally foolish thinking to let a franchise quality QB slip away for a few bucks. They are rare,hard to find, and essential to keep. Replacing Wilson with Pryor would be galactically stupid if it was just about $.

This is all about perceived value only and I'd suspect there wouldn't be this value at athlete or @ QB @ pick 247. Pryor could still be a QB but is more likely to get his reps at another position. Finding sub-packages and opportunities to allow him on the field to use his exceptional athletic ability is where the FO wants to with the addition of Pryor. His value is higher at present as an athlete than as a QB. Time will tell.

I'd like to see him as a WR as he has the ability to handle the ball and RAC. 6'43/8" 4.38/40

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Basis4day":2o423r2u said:
IndyHawk":2o423r2u said:

Keep in mind hes only under contract for one season.

This is what is so baffling to me. Even if the Hawks can salvage Pryor and turn him into a solid QB in a year, they will not be able to get any value out of him unless they re-sign him next year.

They are going to develop him for a year and then he'll get to go to some other team as an improved QB. It's like we're doing him a favor.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2nohdxd5 said:
This is what is so baffling to me. Even if the Hawks can salvage Pryor and turn him into a solid QB in a year, they will not be able to get any value out of him unless they re-sign him next year.

They are going to develop him for a year and then he'll get to go to some other team as an improved QB. It's like we're doing him a favor.

And if he signs with the Niners, we're doing them a favor as well. Giving away a draft pick in order to hand them a more developed backup for Kaepernick with insider information on how our offense functions.

But I'm focusing on the positives of this deal right now. Pryor could add a new dimension to the offense this year, and he will give the coaches a second in-house option on a backup QB to re-sign next year.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Anthony!":3ug3e92x said:
Zebulon Dak":3ug3e92x said:
Of course it is.

Yes it is realistic to think that the FO feel any QB could do, even one who is amongst the worst in the league in QB rating, td/int ratio, ypd/a, comp % and pretty much everything, can come in and do a good enough job. That is what is scary, the just might try it, and if they do away goes the playoffs down the drain Pryor is a major physical talent, but he is not a franchise QB.

No, he's not. The only way Pryor will ever be a franchise QB is if he buys a McDonalds. JeMarcus Russell could be his LT / best customer.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":tgfh7nzp said:
Zebulon Dak":tgfh7nzp said:
Anthony!":tgfh7nzp said:
If he is hear to play QB, then this could be very interesting and also very costly.

If you consider getting rid of BJ Daniels this year or letting TJ! sign elsewhere after his contract runs out next year very costly then yeah. You're absolutely right.

You never know. We coulda snagged a future Super Bowl MVP with that pick ;)
Maybe we did, and maybe it's Pryor. Maybe this season we go triple-option with Russ, Micheal, and Pryor n the backfield with Percy screaming in on the fly sweep, and see how fast a defense implodes.

This guy runs like a deer, and has Lynch's stiff-arm. Getting him on the edge or flashing across the middle on a post route is going to draw attention off of our other edge weapons who are used to working the sidelines.

To me, it kind of doesnt even matter if hes all that good at catching the ball, as long as he shows hes capable a few times. Once that happens, defenses will ccount for you, and at a certain point you'd think that the offense would hit a critical mass and be too multiple to stop all the time. And thats not accounting for lynch and his offense, either. Thats opening up giant freaking holes for him, stretching a defense. Thats what 4.38 speed does for you. The line doesnt have be as talented, because the defenders they will be blocking will have jet sweep and option in their minds. They will be thinking sideline to sideline, and containment. And Marshawn is gonna truck them when they're moving sideways.

Its friggin brilliant.

The Radish

Reaction score
I'm kind of laughing at the supposed not turning him into a wide receiver. Is anyone thinking we can believe a word said out of our office right now? lol

He's going to have to be out of this world good to replace Tarvaris Jackson as our backup, I just don't see that happening.

I've always hoped for the best for Pryor and now that he's on a team that has a top drawer QB backup why not consider becoming a wide out? He's tall, fast, and smart. And that keeps him away from anyone else if his confidence as a QB could be repaired.

:les:

Anthony!

Reaction score
-The Glove-":rq2hpulr said:
Anthony!":rq2hpulr said:
General Manager":rq2hpulr said:
I was just listening to Baldwin on 710 who was in JS's office when the deal went down and talked about it with him . He said he didn't think there was any truth to the rumor Pryor is coming in to play another position. JS himself equated converting him to another position to fantasy football on Sirius .

Interesting since he also said on KJR that a position switch is possible. If he is hear to play QB, then this could be very interesting and also very costly.

Costly? How? Is it going to stop the team from resigning RW? Is the loss of BJ Daniels going to be felt more dramatically than we thought

Simple lets say the FO feels they can use any mobile QB, even one who had a horrible compl% and td/int and qb rating. So they decide to let Rw walk, and resign Pryor. The cost comes in, that we just lost our franchise QB, and our hopes of winning another SB, until we find another franchise QB, which as we all know do not com easy. Pryor is not a franchise, #1 QB, that's how it costs us. And as everyone points out, this FO does some weird stuff.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":fux9qtyc said:

It would be the biggest mistake the FO would make, and the end to our winning till we find another Franchise QB

HawkWow

Reaction score
The Radish":29jczdyu said:
I'm kind of laughing at the supposed not turning him into a wide receiver. Is anyone thinking we can believe a word said out of our office right now? lol

He's going to have to be out of this world good to replace Tarvaris Jackson as our backup, I just don't see that happening.

I've always hoped for the best for Pryor and now that he's on a team that has a top drawer QB backup why not consider becoming a wide out? He's tall, fast, and smart. And that keeps him away from anyone else if his confidence as a QB could be repaired.

:les:

2 out of 3 ain't bad, Les. He's tall and he's fast. ; ) Glad you're feeling better, sir.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Did anyone catch Baldwins interview on 710 today?

He was in Schneiders office when it went down, and it sounds like Pryor is in the QB competition with TJack.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Anthony!":aszf1q3b said:
Zebulon Dak":aszf1q3b said:

It would be the biggest mistake the FO would make, and the end to our winning till we find another Franchise QB

Well it's fine that you think that but I for one am glad that this FO is willing to look at every option when they make decisions. I'm glad they're bring in TP for whatever they're bringing him in for because hell, you never know.