Sherman: "The only way people show respect is the dollars."

warden

Reaction score
seadoc30":17pyhmdv said:
I will be mad if anyone on the Seahawk defense is getting paid more than ET. They all know, including Sherman, that ET makes everyone look like superstar.

Safety is and always has been a lower paid position then cornerback

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Donk70":sq2r1gwp said:
Wish Sherman would just shut up and play football. One of these days all of it's going to bite him in the ass.

It is his career, don't you want to be paid what you are worth for doing good work? I know I do.

warden

Reaction score
So much attention put on his yearly average. That average can be adjusted by lowering or raising the amount of guaranteed funds.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I thinks Sherm will want 17 for one year just for it to be the "biggest ever". Then he probably will settle for around 10 a year after that. Everything is about recognition, respect and being the best for him. He sees himself competing against Revis and this is just one battle in that war.

I'd be bored with comparisons like that, but then again, I'm more a diplomat than a 'great competitor' and here we have a truly great competitor competing, fits this team perfectly.

Seaswab

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2l9fsqfx said:
UK_Seahawk":2l9fsqfx said:
The way to show someone you are the best is to win not get paid the most imho.

Okay, this is just asinine. It's almost like a seaswab post.

Quick question.... what exactly is it that Sherman's been doing since he took over the starting role in 2011? Oh, that's right... he's been giving us a shutdown corner presence that this franchise has NEVER had. He's been showing us that he's the best CB in the league by winning and not getting paid the most. In fact, he's been getting paid peanuts in comparison to most other starting CBs in the league because he was drafted after the new CBA went into effect and was a 5th rounder. Seattle's been getting at least 2 full seasons of a guy playing at an elite level at his position, and now that he has the opportunity to get paid commensurate with what he's been delivering on the field, we get all squeamish and start downplaying him, calling him greedy?

This league used to pay rookies ridiculous amounts of money - especially those drafted in the top half of the 1st round - based on the potential they represented. The owners and fans thought it was crazy, and there's a chance that a good number of vets did, as well. So in 2011, the salaries got reined in and the logic was that rookies would be slotted into reasonable contracts, freeing up more cap room for giving lucrative new contracts to veterans who had already proven themselves. That's the league Sherman was drafted into. And he's held up his end of the deal. He has proven his worth to the Seahawks time and time again. It's time for the Seahawks to hold up their end.

(and by the way, I agree that Maxwell is no slouch, but I think you're underestimating what Sherman gives us... the only points we allowed in the SB were on Maxwell, and the Broncos never even bothered to test Sherman)

How is this like a Seaswab post? I disagree with him.

Seaswab

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3fns1fqx said:
Seaswab":3fns1fqx said:
They will make him the highest paid cb in the league, but something tells me that wont be enough for sherm. He will find it disrespectful if it isnt way more than revis. Hopefully he realizes theres a salary cap and teams can only do so much.

Where are you guys coming up with this? What in Sherman's history has shown him to be a greedy, me-first guy? You can say his antics but look how much notoriety his mouth has helped his and the LOB become household names. I'll be the first to eat crow if he becomes a diva but I have a feeling I'll be serving it.

Well he hasnt signed the deal yet so....

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Is it bad that if both him and Thomas want to get paid (I can't blame them, they got their rings, never know when their next season could be their last and that paycheck will need to last them through retirement). I'd rather pay Thomas, let Sherman go, and do what the Seahawks do, which is find gold through mid-late round draft picks. That way you end up with 2-3 strings of good/great players, rather than 1 Elite player, and a bunch of "mediocre" players behind him that cant pick up the slack in case he goes down for injury, PEDs, just having an off-game. I feel our depth was a huge reason for the SB run, not just the star players, and I don't want to see that suffer.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Seaswab":zh3g76v6 said:
-The Glove-":zh3g76v6 said:
Seaswab":zh3g76v6 said:
They will make him the highest paid cb in the league, but something tells me that wont be enough for sherm. He will find it disrespectful if it isnt way more than revis. Hopefully he realizes theres a salary cap and teams can only do so much.

Where are you guys coming up with this? What in Sherman's history has shown him to be a greedy, me-first guy? You can say his antics but look how much notoriety his mouth has helped his and the LOB become household names. I'll be the first to eat crow if he becomes a diva but I have a feeling I'll be serving it.

Well he hasnt signed the deal yet so....

with my post above. I don't think it's GREEDY for Sherman to want to get paid. He's been praised for being intelligent, and the intelligent thing to do is realize...well you got your SB ring already. You never know if your next NFL paycheck is also your LAST NFL paycheck. You also know that your career outside the NFL will never pay as good as your career in it. Therefore your next paycheck could be 50-100% of the income you (your family) will have to live off of for the next 20-60 years. You may be worth $13M+ now, you have a crap year, you may only be worth $7-$10M or less the next year. Career-ending injury happens the following year, and you're done.

I don't like these players asking for top dollar, but I also do realize it really isn't greed, it's intelligence looking forward. It's only when you've already made a ton of money IMO and you want a chance at a championship, maybe be willing to take a cut to get something that money can't buy.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ZagHawk":4rumphz1 said:
I feel our depth was a huge reason for the SB run, not just the star players, and I don't want to see that suffer.
That will suffer either now or later especially when Wilson gets paid. That is an inescapable fact. But the sure way to 8-8 and irrelevency is paying your mid-tier players too much in some hope of having depth that wouldn't be needed if you pay your stars. Your depth comes from guys on their rookie contracts.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
It's just money.... er...wait... I meant .. it's just someone elses money. ;)

General Manager

Reaction score
I don't think we have the best record and win the NFC Championship without Sherman.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sherman might be more underrated by this fanbase than anywhere else. Of course, we don't win the Super Bowl without Sherman. We lose the NFCCG ("the tip") and lose home-field due to losing vs. HOU (the tying Pick-6). That doesn't even factor in the multiple other game-sealing INTs he had last season (vs. SF, vs. TEN, @NYG, etc.), and the fact that he had a ridiculous 99%+ success rate on his side of the field. The dude is left on an island (w/o help) far more frequently than people seem to want to admit.

This is what's tangible: the moment that Sherman took over in 2011, this defense transformed from so-so to Top 10. We also went from losing a bunch of games to nearly winning out that season. The improvement in our defense has correlated directly with the improvement in his individual game. While I'm sure ET's presence helps him, Sherm's ability to lock-down the strongside also gives ET far more freedom and allows him to make more plays near the LOS. It's not a coincidence that ET had his best year when Sherm was mostly left alone.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
irocdave":3m0xlyoo said:
Sherman is the best corner in the NFL AND he does something no other Hawk does. Intelligently brings national attention to the team. I say this knowing it will always start with brash / obnoxious eruptions but ends with intelligent responses to the mediots. Name another Hawk player that has brought as much attention to our southern Alaska team? Unfortunately I think that's the only way the Hawks get national attention. Yea, it doesn't mean much directly but indirectly it does. More attention / national following might bring more home prime time games to Seattle as well as less 10:00am games on the east coast. We all know that the Hawks have been at the bottom of the list with concern to this when the schedules are being made / debated with the media companies that televise the games.

Pay Sherm just above the highest paid corner and manipulate the payout as needed to keep out of cap hell. Then get Thomas signed up. Worry about RW next year.

Don't you think that that is what John and Pete are trying to do? However, anytime there are "blood-sucking attorneys" involved negotiations slow to a crawl!!

irfuben32

Reaction score
volsunghawk":e13ugskk said:
(and by the way, I agree that Maxwell is no slouch, but I think you're underestimating what Sherman gives us... the only points we allowed in the SB were on Maxwell, and the Broncos never even bothered to test Sherman)

The only thing I would say about that is that Manning didn't start lighting the Hawks up after Sherman went out with the ankle.

I loooooove Sherman. He is a great player, person, teammate and personality... BUUUUUUT I am not sure you can sustain success dropping 13 million on a cornerback.

Latest posts