Sidney Rice to Retire

General Manager

Reaction score
The silver lining I guess is with the him retiring now he won't be taking valuable playing time from the other WR's and the FO can properly prepare and evaluate what they have and put out the best possible roster . This also means both Rooks will probably get more playing time this preseason than they might have, hopefully they can deliver.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I'm sad to see Sidney go. He was one of my favorites on the team.

This is reality check on how unpredictable and short these players' careers are and how much of a toll this 'game' is on the their bodies . This is the very reason I don't hold it against players when they hold out for more money. This game is brutal

As soon as I heard that it was for concussion concerns I immediately thought of the Chicago TD - afterwards on the RealRobReport I remember him saying "I had to take one for the team" for this he will always have my thanks and respect.

Good luck and great health SidtheKid18!

ZagHawk

Reaction score
So do we all go to Wingstop today to add to Sidney Rice's retirement fund?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3e91g53d said:
Basis4day":3e91g53d said:
Honorable mention for favorite Sidney Play:

[youtube]8sNvSFFSGJE[/youtube]

This too me will be the lasting memory of Rice, greatest play IMO as a Seahawk, that game was so great and to see him pull down the winning TD was spectacular. Honorable mention would be his TD against the Bears in OT.

Those 2 plays will always remind me of Rice, I wish him nothing but the best.

I'll admit it, that play and that game was essential for my confidence in RW. Prior to that, I was still on the fence on whether or not he was the guy who could get it done.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Shame that he had to retire due to injuries but he's business smart and has a bright future.

Hope you have a great life Sidney! Thanks for the memories.

chris98251

Reaction score
From the stories it sounds like he is making his home here also. We are sure to see and hear more of Mr. Rice.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
jlwaters1":kfre8yyp said:
Sarlacc83":kfre8yyp said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Seattle looks to pick a big body off the waiver wire after the 53 cutdown, by the way.

Norwood's 6'2" and already on the team. I doubt they'd do that with someone not familiar with their system.

I think they want that 6'5 guy. That's what I meant by big. 6'2 is borderline.

swagcity21

Reaction score
It will be bummer not seeing him in the locker and mixing it up with the team. A great character guy and a positive influence on the locker room. like many have said this frees up opportunities for the young guys. Now we can see what norwood and Matthews can really do. Hopes he sticks around the PNW

Now Sid can focus on his wings franchise. :3:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This is a surprise. Thanks for being a consummate pro Rice. Your efforts and contributions are appreciated. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Lockette and Matthews can battle it out for the last spot. Norwood would have made the team whether Rice was here or not.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":36jhb1xn said:
jlwaters1":36jhb1xn said:
Sarlacc83":36jhb1xn said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Seattle looks to pick a big body off the waiver wire after the 53 cutdown, by the way.

Norwood's 6'2" and already on the team. I doubt they'd do that with someone not familiar with their system.

I think they want that 6'5 guy. That's what I meant by big. 6'2 is borderline.

I want a 6'4, 6'2 (Minimum if BIG) and 215+ lbs receiver. I would have loved to have seen us take Boldin from the Niners.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you for the memories (TD from Wilson where he got clobbered in the endzone in Chicago and still held on to the ball to win the game in OT I will never forget) Sidney. Good luck and cherish the ring.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
LolaRox":20gh8q2d said:
As soon as I heard that it was for concussion concerns I immediately thought of the Chicago TD - afterwards on the RealRobReport I remember him saying "I had to take one for the team" for this he will always have my thanks and respect.

Agreed 100%!

grizbob

Reaction score
Aros":28eqrgn8 said:
LolaRox":28eqrgn8 said:

Agreed 100%!

X... :th2thumbs:

kearly

Reaction score
Bummed. He was never going to be a 1000 yard guy for us but defenses respected him and he was money on his targets.

Here's hoping Lockette's super human special teams play last season was not a fluke.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think it says a lot about what kind of man and how good a teamate Rice is that he didn't drag his disision out through camp. In leaving now he has given his team more time to adjust and identify the next man up. God bless and good luck to you Sid!

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I have nothing against Rice as a person, but looking at $$$ vs production he is easily one of the worst signings in Hawks history.

I know it isnt "his fault" that he has pretty much been injured ever since we signed him, but it is bad having expensive players that cannot be counted on.

Whenever you have an injury-prone player it hurts the team-building process because you don't necessarily want to go out and pay big $$$ for his replacement and you also don't want to go into the season relying on him to be healthy.

I know that most other people on here would disagree, but I think injury-prone players should be cut/released/waived so that we can focus on the players that will actually suit up for us.

Sorry things didn't work out for you sid, but I aint gonna miss ya

Latest posts