Sidney Rice to Retire

chris98251

Reaction score
I stated fact, the majority of your posts were in the soccer threads, you have went out of your way now to attack, have a nice vacation.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I will never forget the decisive TDs against Patriots and Bears. Especially The Pats TD, when Sid caught the pass, it was the exact moment when I started to seriously believe this team is going to be great.

TXHawk

Reaction score
He says he loves the area, the team, and the fans and plans on making this his home. He's going to buy some more Wingstops and maybe Pete can give him some sort of job in the organization.

Best of luck, Sydney. Glad you got your ring.

hawker84

Reaction score
Salute Mr. Sidney Rice. Thanks for leaving it on the field everytime you played. I will never forget some of the unbelievable plays you've made in your short time here, (Chicago winning catch to name one). Good luck in all your future indeavors....

wrenches59864

Reaction score
Wish only the best for him, gad he got the ring, he really contributed to the Hawk's success. The catch in Chicago and the other against the Pats are two that come to mind.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I remember when Brett Favre went on Seattle radio during the Seahawks playoff run. He said the Seahawks would be unstoppable if Rice and Harvin were in the lineup. He knew what Rice was capable of if given the opps. Really wish we could have seen it.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Sidney Rice caught the first ever NFL TD pass thrown by Russell Wilson. Respect.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Silky Johnson":2cyms15n said:
Game winning catches? Lmao. 1, seriously 1. Don't embellish. I could care less how long you "say" you've been a fan. I've been around since Scout with Mac and Ferrar so don't try and pull rank. And you attacked me with the silly soccer comment so just shut it. Funny how you think you're above policy.

And yes like I said, Branch was more productive, and more available. Thanks for posting those numbers so those who lack arithmetic can spend hours figuring it out

Math isn't my best strength, but I do have Excel and can create a pivot table.

I compared averages from Rice's 3 seasons with the Hawks to Branch's 4+ years with the team (he was traded early in the 2010 season). They are fairly close, but Rice does come out slightly ahead in some key metrics. To wit:

Rate of receptions to targets:
Rice = 56.4%
Branch 55.4%

Avg. yards per season:
Rice = 487.7
Branch = 469.4

Avg. TDs per season:
Rice = 4
Branch = 3

While I can see why you think Rice wasn't "all that" in comparison to Branch, he was a bit better--not less productive, as you stated. He also had a knack for making some spectacular catches along the sideline, and he nearly got his head knocked off and still managed to hang onto the ball to win us the OT game in Chicago in 2012. He also had a huge TD reception at C-Link vs. the Pats that same year. In addition, he acted as a mentor to guys like Tate, Baldwin and Kearse. Those intangibles are why we love him. He was a huge part of making the Hawks the championship team they became last year.

Latest posts