Something Something Offensive Line Rabble Rabble

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TylerjAlsin/status/1475331332964175874[/tweet]

Rabble rabble Creed Humphrey grumble grumble

Most of the sacks look something similar to this

Smellyman

Reaction score
Wilson slowness in reading routes and defenses is proportional to his slowness of foot as he ages.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Smellyman":2gbd0qw6 said:
Wilson slowness in reading routes and defenses is proportional to his slowness of foot as he ages.

Yep.

Put 5 Pro Bowlers on the line and he'll still take 40 sacks.

LTH

Reaction score
i don't think both those sacks are on the O line. I got to watch the game again but at least one of them was Russ holding the ball to long. I thought the O line played well tonight as Russ had time to throw the ball I would say those were coverage sacks.

LTH

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
LTH":23ya6lxm said:
i don't think both those sacks are on the O line. I got to watch the game again but at least one of them was Russ holding the ball to long. I thought the O line played well tonight as Russ had time to throw the ball I would say those were coverage sacks.

LTH

That's the point I'm trying to make.

Sacks are over-attributed to the offensive line, and under-attributed to the quarterback traditionally.

It's even worse with Russell Wilson. His unquestionably worst trait is his predisposition to take sacks that are, frankly, sort of ridiculous.

This line is really, really not as bad as he makes it look - and that's a theme that's especially notable 2020 onward.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3u7k0seq said:
LTH":3u7k0seq said:

LTH

Sacks are over-attributed to the offensive line, and under-attributed to the quarterback traditionally.

It's even worse with Russell Wilson. His unquestionably worst trait is his predisposition to take sacks that are, frankly, sort of ridiculous.

This line is really, really not as bad as he makes it look - and that's a theme that's especially notable 2020 onward.
The line is super inconsistent. Brown has been absolutely awful this season, he's looked every bit his age. Our center position has also been a nightmare. Procic and Fuller have not been very good. I'm super angry about Creedence Humphries, because it was one of the Seahawks biggest needs and we just decided "nah". It still is the main point of pain on the offensive line.

All that being said, yes you are absolutely right. Wilson has not developed as a Quarterback. His improvisational skills have covered for a lot of his deficiencies as a player. We also have a head coach that hasn't been willing to hold him accountable. Wilson, quite frankly is not very good playing within structure. He's extremely slow in processing things that are going on and his internal clock is broken. He still hasn't reconciled his slow down.

Wilson can be a good QB but he's going to need to change the way he plays, or he'll go the way of Cam Newton. He can't keep relying on the home-run ball and scramble drills. At this point it's comical how easy it is to stop Wilson. Come out showing like you're coming out in a single high safety set then revert to a cover 2 shell post snap, bam Wilson is confused.

Wilson is going to have to do some soul searching this offseason. He's going to have to reinvent himself. I think he can but I also think he's going to need a coach that runs a extremely tight ship. I don't think he can ever elevate himself to the next level with Carroll.

LTH

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1isa8yeu said:
Maelstrom787":1isa8yeu said:
LTH":1isa8yeu said:

LTH

The line is super inconsistent. Brown has been absolutely awful this season, he's looked every bit his age. Our center position has also been a nightmare. Procic and Fuller have not been very good. I'm super angry about Creedence Humphries, because it was one of the Seahawks biggest needs and we just decided "nah". It still is the main point of pain on the offensive line.

All that being said, yes you are absolutely right. Wilson has not developed as a Quarterback. His improvisational skills have covered for a lot of his deficiencies as a player. We also have a head coach that hasn't been willing to hold him accountable. Wilson, quite frankly is not very good playing within structure. He's extremely slow in processing things that are going on and his internal clock is broken. He still hasn't reconciled his slow down.

Wilson can be a good QB but he's going to need to change the way he plays, or he'll go the way of Cam Newton. He can't keep relying on the home-run ball and scramble drills. At this point it's comical how easy it is to stop Wilson. Come out showing like you're coming out in a single high safety set then revert to a cover 2 shell post snap, bam Wilson is confused.

Wilson is going to have to do some soul searching this offseason. He's going to have to reinvent himself. I think he can but I also think he's going to need a coach that runs a extremely tight ship. I don't think he can ever elevate himself to the next level with Carroll.

If I was Carroll I would give Mike Holmgren a call and see if Holmgren would work with wilson.. thats exactly what I would do...

If you look at the stats this o line has gotten much better over the last 3 games. Pocic is playing much better as well jackson

LTH

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
LTH":bubz7i9s said:
Spin Doctor":bubz7i9s said:
Maelstrom787":bubz7i9s said:
LTH":bubz7i9s said:

LTH

If I was Carroll I would give Mike Holmgren a call and see if Holmgren would work with wilson.. thats exactly what I would do...

If you look at the stats this o line has gotten much better over the last 3 games. Pocic is playing much better as well jackson

LTH
I've seen Procic get blown up quite a few times over the last few games. He's still the weak spot on the line, our opponents aside from the Rams have been pretty weak over the last few games.

As far as Holmgren goes, that is a pipe dream it ain't happening in this lifetime. Holmgren stated many times that he's done coaching, even saying that he is out of touch with the modern NFL. Plus, Holmgren taught players how to play within in the confines of his system. If QB's didn't toe his line they just got benched. As a QB coach he wouldn't have that ability.

Also, consider that Schottenheimer had a good reputation as a QB coach. I think he needs more than just a good QB coach, he needs someone that'll hold him accountable higher up the chain. That person is not Pete Carroll, he needs a no nonsense Bill Bilichick sort of character running the show.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2zx8vc29 said:
LTH":2zx8vc29 said:
Spin Doctor":2zx8vc29 said:
Maelstrom787":2zx8vc29 said:

LTH
I've seen Procic get blown up quite a few times over the last few games. He's still the weak spot on the line, our opponents aside from the Rams have been pretty weak over the last few games.

As far as Holmgren goes, that is a pipe dream it ain't happening in this lifetime. Holmgren stated many times that he's done coaching, even saying that he is out of touch with the modern NFL. Plus, Holmgren taught players how to play within in the confines of his system. If QB's didn't toe his line they just got benched. As a QB coach he wouldn't have that ability.

Also, consider that Schottenheimer had a good reputation as a QB coach. I think he needs more than just a good QB coach, he needs someone that'll hold him accountable higher up the chain. That person is not Pete Carroll, he needs a no nonsense Bill Bilichick sort of character running the show.

Think the same thing, only a couple Coaches I think have that mentality, Belichick and Arians.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There are occasionally comments about how QB X or Y wouldn't last a game behind the Seahawks offensive line. The point here is that it's possible we'd have a much higher opinion of the OL in general if the QB was reading the opposing defense better.

Spin Doctor":9a8wq0lw said:
Brown has been absolutely awful this season, he's looked every bit his age.
In contrast, I thought Brown looked good yesterday. He was pulling on half a dozen plays across the entire formation and moving really well for his age. Most of the sacks he's given up have been 10+ yards behind the line of scrimmage when the QB backpedals into the edge rusher.

Spin Doctor":9a8wq0lw said:
Our center position has also been a nightmare.... it was one of the Seahawks biggest needs and we just decided "nah". It still is the main point of pain on the offensive line.
How many of our failed passing plays would have worked yesterday if we had Humphries at center? By my count none, maybe one? Center pass protection just isn't that important to this scheme. Humphries would definitely be an asset in the running game, but even there mobility is more important to our zone stretch scheme than power is.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
chris98251":2hr0wqpj said:
Spin Doctor":2hr0wqpj said:
LTH":2hr0wqpj said:
Spin Doctor":2hr0wqpj said:

LTH

Think the same thing, only a couple Coaches I think have that mentality, Belichick and Arians.
I don’t blame a head coach for not benching an entrenched franchise QB. It's not a move you can make unless you're really to move on from them and you're asking to get fired if the owner disagrees. Pulling them is a lose, lose proposition for the HC

chris98251

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2pqvc7r3 said:
chris98251":2pqvc7r3 said:
Spin Doctor":2pqvc7r3 said:
LTH":2pqvc7r3 said:

LTH

I don’t blame a head coach for not benching an entrenched franchise QB. It's not a move you can make unless you're really to move on from them and you're asking to get fired if the owner disagrees. Pulling them is a lose, lose proposition for the HC

Holmgren benched Dilfer and Hass, Arians benched Palmer a few times, Belichick feuded with Brady, and If memory serves benched him a couple of times for throwing stupid picks in a game.

If the owner throws a fit maybe they are named Jerry Jones, if you're going to send a message the bench is a great way, if the owner wants to fire you, you don't have very much security in the first place and probably are unhappy coaching there anyway.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Team is so lucky they chose Eskridge over Humphry in the draft. His 2 catches for 10 yards and 1 run for 7 was crucial yesterday. The guy is just killing it this season.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2pywfvpd said:
Team is so lucky they chose Eskridge over Humphry in the draft. His 2 catches for 10 yards and 1 run for 7 was crucial yesterday. The guy is just killing it this season.

That's cool, but I don't see how he helps the passing game all that much if at all.

I'd love to have Creed for the run game, though.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":4v1hux3d said:
pittpnthrs":4v1hux3d said:

That's cool, but I don't see how he helps the passing game all that much if at all.

I'd love to have Creed for the run game, though.

You would have to ask KC. He seems to be doing just fine out there.

keasley45

Reaction score
chris98251":1u6s6a29 said:
OrangeGravy":1u6s6a29 said:
chris98251":1u6s6a29 said:
Spin Doctor":1u6s6a29 said:

Holmgren benched Dilfer and Hass, Arians benched Palmer a few times, Belichick feuded with Brady, and If memory serves benched him a couple of times for throwing stupid picks in a game.

If the owner throws a fit maybe they are named Jerry Jones, if you're going to send a message the bench is a great way, if the owner wants to fire you, you don't have very much security in the first place and probably are unhappy coaching there anyway.

The only option with Wilson would have been to bench him, whuch guven his tendency to pull himself and the team out of holes ( but look like he was saving the team) would have seemed insane. Or, to have just traded him prior to his second deal. This also would have looked bad because again, Russ's flaws at that point were pretty deftly masked and covered over by his talent.

If it was as easy as getting a guy who can't read defenses after playing ball for 10 years to just hook up with holmgren or a 'better' coach, there would be a track record of reclamation project qbs that escaped xs and os futility (that's how bad some of Russ's misreads look) and went on to do great things. There's only but so much that can be coached at this point. He's had 10 years (+ college) of playing how he does.

And i'm beginning to think the best coach ( or one of the best coaches) he could have ended up with in the NFL is PC.

PC has known this whole time what would happen if Russ was forced to play anything other than Russ ball. His silence this past offseason looks evermore warranted. What would he have said? He couldn't have gone and record saying they were going to get back to 'cooking' on offense because he knew that was a dead-end. He also couldn't come out and call it BS because to do thst would have looked like he was tearing down his franchise qb. All he could do was remain silent and hope Russ could improve under Shane and that his new OC could succeed where the previous two did not.

And with Bevell, Russ had Darrell's undevided attention because running game coordination wasn't even his responsibility. - makes you wonder if they did that tobtry to get Russ extra time on topic...

sutz

Reaction score
Russ has always taken stupid sacks when trying to make creme brulee out of horseshit. He's always looking downfield, looking for that big miracle play and he won't admit that it isn't there when he should just dump the ball off or throw it away. 10 years in, you'd think he would have learned by now. Would Myers have made that kick from 25 instead of 39? Probably, but this year it is far from guaranteed.

This was a big team loss, breakdowns on O, D, and ST. :evil: