Sorry, Niners fans...

olyfan63

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1no6mwm5 said:
Someone smack the 49er fan who bumped this.

One does not simply bump a thread such as this until the end result is signed, sealed and delivered. No 49er fan should have touched this until the 49ers had the division title in hand, which is still entirely dependent upon week 17.
:les:
Oh children of the internet... what are we to do with you?

I do applaud your sentiments. Whodunnit... Well, that would be Washington49er...
It's hard to blame him when he came up with something so catchy, "Rammed back to 5th place"...
His impulse control disorder kicked in. Now if your team loses to the Rams, you know what to look forward to.
Dunno if the Rams will play you guys as hard, and the matchups will be different. You guys match up better, I think.
We played like crap against them, but I think it was partly Pete Carroll holding certain players out to be full strength for week 17, and not wanting to put anything new on tape for opponents, and Pete being OK with an ass whuppin to get the players' attention and focus back, that showing up at the field doesn't guarantee a win. And the Rams are good enough right now that a sloppy, sluggish effort wasn't going to get it done no matter what new stuff we tried.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
olyfan63":39cu7uog said:
5_Golden_Rings":39cu7uog said:

One does not simply bump a thread such as this until the end result is signed, sealed and delivered. No 49er fan should have touched this until the 49ers had the division title in hand, which is still entirely dependent upon week 17.

I do applaud your sentiments. Whodunnit... Well, that would be Washington49er...
It's hard to blame him when he came up with something so catchy, "Rammed back to 5th place"...
His impulse control disorder kicked in. Now if your team loses to the Rams, you know what to look forward to.
Dunno if the Rams will play you guys as hard, and the matchups will be different. You guys match up better, I think.
We played like crap against them, but I think it was partly Pete Carroll holding certain players out to be full strength for week 17, and not wanting to put anything new on tape for opponents, and Pete being OK with an ass whuppin to get the players' attention and focus back, that showing up at the field doesn't guarantee a win. And the Rams are good enough right now that a sloppy, sluggish effort wasn't going to get it done no matter what new stuff we tried.
Eh, I’m mostly joking. Internet trolling and trash talking technique is more of a matter of taste. :D

But I don’t have an opinion on the Rams. They seem to be playing better since the Ravens stomped them.

Washington49er

Reaction score
olyfan63":1tk1m2vw said:
5_Golden_Rings":1tk1m2vw said:

Well thanks for throwing me under the bus...lol.

Do you really think PC held players back against the Rams to have players at full strength for week 17? Seriously? As important as win are now, especially conference and division wins. I think thats just crazy. Lose too many and week 17 means nothing. I think the Rams just had the Hawks number. Remember the first game they were only one kick away from a W.

NINEster

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1nrlrlxt said:

Well look who started it.

If the Seahawks were to win the division this year, it would be the flukiest division win I've seen in my entire life. It's one thing if the division is garbage like the current NFC East, 2014 NFC South, or 2010 NFC West, and then anyone winning it is just a matter of right place/right time. But with the current #1 aimed at a 13-3/14-2 finish, this would be ridiculous if they couldn't hold onto it.

Believe me, if the roles were reversed and the Hawks were the one with the 8-0 start, Top 2 DVOA, huge point differential, 6 points in two losses as time expired, and the Niners were winning each game by the seat of their pants they would be calling out SF as a lucky ass team. Guaranf'nteed.

Right now, the respect we must begrudgingly give the Seahawks is a longer sustained pedigree of success. After that, I'm not seeing how they are the better team to the 49ers or deserving of the #1 seed.

Only health can get in the way of the 49ers success going forward.

NINEster

Reaction score
Another thing:

The Seahawks channel their inner 2013 every time they play the 49ers, except for that second game last season. It's annoying to watch them revert back to everything good they've been when they play us.

But against the Rams this week, terrible effort. Against the Cardinals under Arians, same garbage.

Only Mike Singletary has taught Carroll a real lesson. SMFH....

olyfan63

Reaction score
Washington49er":bnqxeotg said:
-snip-
Do you really think PC held players back against the Rams to have players at full strength for week 17? Seriously? As important as win are now, especially conference and division wins. I think thats just crazy. Lose too many and week 17 means nothing. I think the Rams just had the Hawks number. Remember the first game they were only one kick away from a W.

Yes, I think it's a legit possibility. Particularly Ziggy Ansah. Possibly Michael Kendricks.
Am I "declaring" this as "truth"? HELL NO. But it's calculated, certainly not crazy. Pete is a calculating guy, and we've seen this before, like in 2013, week 16, when we lost to the Cards 17-10, at home, playing a lackluster, uninspired game, then went on to win SB48. The division is the priority, as you are well aware too. Seahawks win next 2 games, both easier than Rams game, and then it's all on Week 17, and winner takes the division, and *maybe* HFA. Being the #2 seed is still a good position to get to the SB. The calculation is the same, whether win or lose at Rams, Win Week 17, and Hawks are division champs. The lackluster game vs the Rams reminded me so much of that game vs Cards in 2013.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pete is very cautious with his players. He will sit them when most other teams will run their players in to the ground. Pete plays the long game.

Did he sit players thinking they wouldn't be needed for the Rams game? I doubt that very much.

But like most teams, we are very depleted in the ranks. Losing Will Dissly and Ed Dickson ward HUGE.

People want to talk About SF not having Kittle for a couple of games. Imagine losing him for the season. Dissly isn't Kittle, but he's damn close, and IMHO, Will is a much better blocker.

Now we've lost our home run hitter just as he was coming in to his own. Rashad will be missed.

Our starting center, gone, no JReed the first 6 weeks. Ziggy recently having shoulder surgery. Clowney needing surgery. Lockett getting hurt so bad he couldn't fly home after the game.

It goes on and on. But this time of year comes down to coaching and preplanning. Like Pete taking care of his players.

So we shall see. But I predict by the end of week 17, We will be in charge of the NFCW.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ivotuk":3pd01hjn said:
Pete is very cautious with his players. He will sit them when most other teams will run their players in to the ground. Pete plays the long game.

Did he sit players thinking they wouldn't be needed for the Rams game? I doubt that very much.

But like most teams, we are very depleted in the ranks. Losing Will Dissly and Ed Dickson ward HUGE.

People want to talk About SF not having Kittle for a couple of games. Imagine losing him for the season. Dissly isn't Kittle, but he's damn close, and IMHO, Will is a much better blocker.

Now we've lost our home run hitter just as he was coming in to his own. Rashad will be missed.

Our starting center, gone, no JReed the first 6 weeks. Ziggy recently having shoulder surgery. Clowney needing surgery. Lockett getting hurt so bad he couldn't fly home after the game.

It goes on and on. But this time of year comes down to coaching and preplanning. Like Pete taking care of his players.

So we shall see. But I predict by the end of week 17, We will be in charge of the NFCW.

um...wut?

Like...I couldn't even read any further than the bolded. Wut?

Did Doug Gottlieb become a 'hawk fan?

I got nothing against Dissly and it was a shame to see his season cut short, but Kittle right now is in Gronk territory and is one of if not THE best blocking TE in the NFL. "Much better blocker"? Bro...just can't take anything after that seriously.

I'm sure Dissly is a fine blocker...but that's just an out of the blue wild statement.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Patriots/status/1204818323189456897[/tweet]

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
ivotuk":3r8aju8q said:

Considering that many NFL people think Kittle is one of the best blocking (if not the best) TE in the NFL, that's some high praise. Also, I'd say losing the tight end who shattered the NFL record for receiving yards the prior year (while being quarterbacked by CJ Beathard and Nick Mullens) is a pretty big deal. Then again, maybe Dissly is a better receiver, too.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Dissly may or may not have been a better blocker than Kittle through mid-October. However, since then, Kittle has handily outperformed Dissly most weeks, just like Dissly wasn't even there, but other weeks it was a dead heat between the two in both receiving and blocking. Dissly matched Kittle catch-for-catch and block-for-block in the first Hawks-Niners game, but Kittle clearly bested him the last couple weeks, especially with that game winning catch and run vs. the Saints. Amazing play. At this point, we're just hoping to get a full healthy season out of Dissly. Maybe next year...

To me the whole Dissly vs. Kittle thing is somewhat irrelevant given they never line up against each other, and never would outside of an onside kick special teams scenario. The point is both are "security blanket" players for their QBs in the passing game, as well as being a fully-participating and effective blocker in the running game. Unlike, say, a Jimmy Graham. Kittle seems a little more agile and speedy in the Run-After-Catch, especially as evidenced by that play against New Orleans.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1udcp5oe said:
Well, well, well...my thread is starting to age like wine again after all. :)

Fine wine needs to 'breathe' a bit before drinking, but I think too much air has gotten into this one.

It's taken on an acerbic taste.

Marvin49

Reaction score
As I said previously in this thread when the shoe was on the other foot. Doesn't matter right now who has the lead. Only matters who has after week 17.

Assuming the Niners beat the Rams (not given by any means), it still all boils down to Niners at Seahawks.

If Niners LOSE to the Rams, its possible seeding will be set and both teams would rest starters...something most Wildcard teams aren't in a position to do. Depends of course on what Vikings do as well.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":2o3tsitw said:
As I said previously in this thread when the shoe was on the other foot. Doesn't matter right now who has the lead. Only matters who has in after week 17
Obviously, but you could say the same thing about the entire season. That doesn't mean we don't watch each game for our teams as the season progresses, and discuss it throughout. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":q9vjued3 said:
Marvin49":q9vjued3 said:
As I said previously in this thread when the shoe was on the other foot. Doesn't matter right now who has the lead. Only matters who has in after week 17
Obviously, but you could say the same thing about the entire season. That doesn't mean we don't watch each game for our teams as the season progresses, and discuss it throughout. :)

Of course.

All I'm sayin is if Niner beat Rams and Seahawks, they win it.

Despite todays loss, both Niners and Seahawks STILL control their own destiny.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Here we are on Monday and is anyone still shaking their head about how, with about eight seconds left on the clock and a 5 point lead, the 9ers coughed up 12 points?