Steve Smith?

drdiags

Reaction score
According to the GM (who needs to justify the cut), Smith was considered a distraction to the coaches, players and FO folks. His demands for perfection from others was supposedly an issue. I would consider the source before picking a side. I am sure if he came on-board that Pete would know how he would fit in here.

I wouldn't do it but maybe Wilson can demand control of the huddle a little better than Cam Newton?

Cartire

Reaction score
Yea, cause that's what we need to do, bring in a 13 year veteran WR on the decline. That's building towards the future.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":8b7aepqi said:
I'll climb out on this limb. Dude is cancer, just cant see him fitting in with this squad!

The Panthers fans say he's a lot like Sherman: misunderstood by outside fans. They all love him.

Largent80

Reaction score
Cartire":2wy6zcn5 said:
Yea, cause that's what we need to do, bring in a 13 year veteran WR on the decline. That's building towards the future.

And of course P & J have never done that. T.O. BMW, etc.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Largent80":13s6gfch said:
Cartire":13s6gfch said:

Exactly, plus if he doesn't work out, they would do the same thing they did with Winfield last year.

Just because they sign a player does not mean they are stuck with him.

rigelian

Reaction score
I love Steve Smith. He's one of my favorite players to watch. With that being said, I don't think he's a good fit. I've watched him on the sideline chewing out some young player who has made a mistake. It looks vicious. I also get the sense that his teammates are afraid to set him off. I don't think our team works that way.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I don't think he'd be terribly happy playing 3rd fiddle to Lynch and Harvin. Probably wouldn't be a great fit for him

Cartire

Reaction score
Largent80":1skuwyrf said:
Cartire":1skuwyrf said:

Yes, moves that really panned out for the future. Not saying camp bodies aren't needed, but bringing in aging veterans never seems to show an upside. I guess you could say veteran locker room experience. But what does that really do if they're always cut?

Gallery
T.O.
Winfield

Those are all spots a young prospect missed out on during camp.

jblaze

Reaction score
I love the way he plays but he is a big distraction and a me first player. He's high maintenance and a diva, something we do not need or allow in our locker room.

Also hard to know how much he has left, he's getting pretty old and speed is the first thing to go. He has a lot of miles on those tires.

Not sure how good of a blocker he is either, can't be great at that size.

I'll pass. He'll likely ask for 6-7m apy.

Cartire

Reaction score
jblaze":r5vauzc2 said:
I love the way he plays but he is a big distraction and a me first player. He's high maintenance and a diva, something we do not need or allow in our locker room.

Also hard to know how much he has left, he's getting pretty old and speed is the first thing to go. He has a lot of miles on those tires.

I agree with everything, but will admit, he's an excellent blocker.

Largent80

Reaction score
It has been clearly shown that rookie WR's have a gigantic learning curve (see Tate). So drafting and relying on a WR more than likely is not going to come to a great result. For the future, yes, not so much for the upcoming year. We have a void at WR.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":22ve2z87 said:
no thanks.

You're only as old as you feel. He looked good last year and he'd look better this year. He runs sick routes, has great hands and is tough as nails! Harvin, Smith and Baldwin with Finley??? How the funk do you guard that??? Answer, you don't. Make it happen John!!!

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Cartire":3llxg2dl said:

Not trying to build toward the future. Trying to win another Super Bowl this year!! :D

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jblaze":358egurv said:

Steve Smith in 2013: 64 catches, 4 TD's
Golden Tate in 2013: 64 catches, 5 TD's

Smith is old, but he's still durable and productive. So if we can get him for half the cost of what Golden just got, I'd take it...........and he's no more of a Diva than 80% of the receivers and DB's in the league. Dude's a baller........and wouldn't be a problem in this locker room.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
jblaze":3b61m2mc said:

You're right.. Because a 33 year old Boldin was terrible last year right? Then signed a new contract... Please!!

Smith has more heart and passion for the game than most players and he plays with a huge chip on his shoulder. He would fit in perfect here. Plus he returns punts.

Nobody is saying the Hawks are gonna bring him in on a 4 year deal, we're talking 1 year here. Give the guy a chance to win a championship. He deserves it.

Plus.. If Harvin/Baldwin/kearse miss any time next year wouldn't you love to have a vet like smith? I know I would.

Dude still has it! He would make us forget all
About Tate.

SirTed

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan.

Wouldn't hate it if we brought him in on the cheap / short -

But the dude is 34, and looked HELLA washed up in the playoffs last year.