Steve Smith?

THUGCAPS

Reaction score
I think he would fit perfectly. Steve Smith is not a "wannabe tough guy", he is a tough guy, and a great blocker. Nobody (except the Seahawks) messes with him when he's on the field. He's not a cancer to his team. He's a fiery guy and sometimes unnecessarily hot-headed, but you could say the same thing about Sherman. A reduced work load would benefit him greatly after being the only weapon on the panthers for the past couple years.

45Hawker

Reaction score
jblaze":2a2hozpk said:
I love the way he plays but he is a big distraction and a me first player. He's high maintenance and a diva, something we do not need or allow in our locker room. <snip>
I feel the same way.

Remember when he sucker-punched his teammate Ken Lucas at a practice? Broke his nose I think. His history shows that he might not be a good locker-room fit for the Seahawks.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
SirTed":2pz0wq2o said:
I'm not a huge fan.

Wouldn't hate it if we brought him in on the cheap / short -

But the dude is 34, and looked HELLA washed up in the playoffs last year.

He was playing hurt. He had to rehab 10 hours a day just to play in that game. Dude has heart and would do anything for the team.

Keep in mind he's been a Panther his entire career. A change of scenery, especially on a team like ours would probably put those "cancerous attitude" accusations to rest.

jblaze

Reaction score
HawkStar22":3a3l8kji said:
jblaze":3a3l8kji said:
I love the way he plays but he is a big distraction and a me first player. He's high maintenance and a diva, something we do not need or allow in our locker room.

Also hard to know how much he has left, he's getting pretty old and speed is the first thing to go. He has a lot of miles on those tires.

Not sure how good of a blocker he is either, can't be great at that size.

I'll pass. He'll likely ask for 6-7m apy.

You're right.. Because a 33 year old Boldin was terrible last year right? Then signed a new contract... Please!!

Smith has more heart and passion for the game than most players and he plays with a huge chip on his shoulder. He would fit in perfect here. Plus he returns punts.

Nobody is saying the Hawks are gonna bring him in on a 4 year deal, we're talking 1 year here. Give the guy a chance to win a championship. He deserves it.

Plus.. If Harvin/Baldwin/kearse miss any time next year wouldn't you love to have a vet like smith? I know I would.

Dude still has it! He would make us forget all
About Tate.

That's not a relevant comparison at all. Smith is a speed player and that goes away first, he's ripe for a decline. Boldin is a bigger possession receiver and that ages much better over time.

rightbench

Reaction score
THUGCAPS":2wf79xw7 said:
I think he would fit perfectly. Steve Smith is not a "wannabe tough guy", he is a tough guy, and a great blocker. Nobody (except the Seahawks) messes with him when he's on the field. He's not a cancer to his team. He's a fiery guy and sometimes unnecessarily hot-headed, but you could say the same thing about Sherman. A reduced work load would benefit him greatly after being the only weapon on the panthers for the past couple years.

He might be a tough player, your definition of "tough guy." But his constant preening and attitude and general presence is not in the same mold as our team's. He is "tough" so that people are impressed by him, and in excess from everything I've ever seen. There's a reason he gets along with Cam and a reason that he wouldn't do well with Russell.

He's also the type who will and has in the past complained about how much he's getting the ball.

TO with Napoleon syndrome would be a good comparison.

jblaze

Reaction score
This is a moot point right now, he's going to want more than we're willing to pay. He's not coming to Seattle and no one has connected the two in media reports or speculation.

It's not happening.

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
No to Steve Smith. He is a mini TO. If he gets a few looks and the Hawks win, he would not care about the win, he would say something to take away from the win. NOOOOOO.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mmfpdks1 said:
jblaze":mmfpdks1 said:
I love the way he plays but he is a big distraction and a me first player. He's high maintenance and a diva, something we do not need or allow in our locker room.

Also hard to know how much he has left, he's getting pretty old and speed is the first thing to go. He has a lot of miles on those tires.

Steve Smith in 2013: 64 catches, 4 TD's
Golden Tate in 2013: 64 catches, 5 TD's

Smith is old, but he's still durable and productive. So if we can get him for half the cost of what Golden just got, I'd take it...........and he's no more of a Diva than 80% of the receivers and DB's in the league. Dude's a baller........and wouldn't be a problem in this locker room.

You sold me. Bring him in.

lukerguy

Reaction score
nyc-seahawk":28z074tl said:
There is something to it. I would love to bring his attitude and competitiveness to our roster and see what happens. "1 year 5 mill get a ring kinda deal"

I think that's a bit to much. I think 3.5-4 would be the max I'd pay at this point in his career.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
jblaze":1qpb5gz1 said:
HawkStar22":1qpb5gz1 said:
jblaze":1qpb5gz1 said:

You're right.. Because a 33 year old Boldin was terrible last year right? Then signed a new contract... Please!!

Smith has more heart and passion for the game than most players and he plays with a huge chip on his shoulder. He would fit in perfect here. Plus he returns punts.

Nobody is saying the Hawks are gonna bring him in on a 4 year deal, we're talking 1 year here. Give the guy a chance to win a championship. He deserves it.

Plus.. If Harvin/Baldwin/kearse miss any time next year wouldn't you love to have a vet like smith? I know I would.

Dude still has it! He would make us forget all
About Tate.

That's not a relevant comparison at all. Smith is a speed player and that goes away first, he's ripe for a decline. Boldin is a bigger possession receiver and that ages much better over time.

Desean Jackson is a speed player. Mike Wallace is a speed player.

Steve smith is a much different WR then both those guys. Always has been. Smith can win jump balls on the outside, he can play the slot, and he is pretty much as close as it gets to a possession receiver. Everyone is saying he's " getting slow" with no real proof to back that up. There's a reason he's made it in this league for 13 years as a number 1 WR at 5'9. He plays way bigger and tougher then his size suggests. He's as close to a sure thing as you can get. And IMO an upgrade over Tate.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The nefarious "league sources" are already reporting that Smith might land in Baltimore.

As much as I think Smith would do well here, I think;

1. He's going to get 6-8M a year, which is too much for us.
2. JS and Pete really don't want to commit 6-8M to another WR when they're already giving Percy 13M next year. Cheaper WR's can be had through FA in a couple weeks, as well as the draft.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I don't think Smith goes for 6-8M. I think he'll be in the 4-5. Panthers could have traded him if he is going to make 6-8.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2y0ovicw said:
The nefarious "league sources" are already reporting that Smith might land in Baltimore.

1. He's going to get 6-8M a year, which is too much for us.

I really don't think you're right about this.

A

Anonymous

I'm troubled.

One side of me says hell yes and the other side says hell no.

Largent80

Reaction score
He is already going to get paid, so I don't think contract money is an issue.....

"I have coached against him and have had the benefit of having him on the Panthers," Rivera said. "He is a great competitor with Hall of Fame-worthy statistics and has made a great contribution to our community. I wish him nothing but the best."

Smith was set to count $7 million against the salary cap in 2014. Carolina will have to pay the five-time Pro Bowler, who will turn 35 in May, $5 million this season in guaranteed salary and deferred bonus.

Among the teams reportedly interested in Smith now that he has been cut is Baltimore.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10600 ... a-panthers

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sports are funny like that. You can hate a guy when he plays for another team, then once in great while, they come to your team and you change your tune. Makes me think of Ricky Watters. Hated him his whole career. Loved him when he came here, played hard, great hands etc.

THUGCAPS

Reaction score
Steve Smith on possibly playing against the Panthers: “Put your goggles on cause there’s going to be blood and guts everywhere.” How can you not love this guy?