Tarvaris Jackson wants to stay in Seattle

HawkHack

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":14j0qz7q said:
TJack would rather be a backup?

Doesn't sound very comPETEtive of him.
Except that I'm pretty sure Pete has said that QB is the one position where there is to be no #1 competition this year. TJack is in fact, competing, just for the #2 position.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":ua1srpez said:
TJack would rather be a backup?

Doesn't sound very comPETEtive of him.

Whilst I think it's highly unlikely he would take his eye off the ball, competition for RW can only be a good thing. Who is more likely to push RW along, young hungry players who want to be the starter playing to impress at Seattle or elsewhere or a vet that knows he's just along for the ride?

That said I think they will keep TJ about until it's time to name the 53 at least. After that I'd only keep him if my young guys had not performed and at a vet minimum.

themunn

Reaction score
MadSweeney":rk4efjnj said:
Seahawk Sailor":rk4efjnj said:
If I told you four years ago that a guy would rather stay as a backup in Seattle than go somewhere else for the chance at being a starter, you'd have thought I'd lost my marbles. Amazing what a Super Bowl win and a great team environment do to change perceptions. He knows he could probably be a starter elsewhere, but he'd rather stay here.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20140225/SPORTS0403/302250021
Your last sentence makes me think that you've definitely lost your marbles. He was 3rd or 4th string on Buffalo. There comes a time in every player's career when they know that their starting days are over, a fact which he is obviously admitting. TJ would be a great b/u and we know that he has the respect and friendship of the locker room for his season as a tackling dummy. Even if they hadn't won the SB, I'd lay good odds that he'd want to stay. It's a perfect fit for him.

Just because a dysfunctional franchise like Buffalo doesn't think he's a starter or even 2nd string back-up doesn't tell you anything about his ability. Remember, this is the same team that thought better to roll with Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller over Marshawn Lynch.
Jackson is better than every QB that started for Cleveland, Buffalo, New York (Jets), Houston, Jacksonville, Oakland and even Minnesota. That's a league average QB guys. I'd arguably even take him over Andy Dalton, who owes much of his success to AJ Green.

themunn

Reaction score
HawkHack":2y3ndg9m said:
Unless your #2 is the heir apparent, it makes sense to have him be a solid veteran guy who doesn't eat up cap space and can win a game or two if necessary.

The adjective "workmanlike" [*] applies to TJack, and that's not a bad thing. You need guys like that.

[*] One definition is: "satisfactory but not original".

Absolutely agree here, the teams that probably did best when their starting QBs went down? Chicago (34 year old McCown), and Cleveland (31 year old Jason Campbell), both of whom have been around the league for a long time and have a lot of experience.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He earned my respect by playing balls out with an injured pec, seemed like he was better during that time than when healthy.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I think this is a fantastic indicator of the Seahawks culture. I've no doubt TJ has seen a lot of dysfunction in his years, and staying in a locker room with such great camaraderie has to ease the pain of not being the starter.

That and he's got 1 more Super Bowl ring than Dan Marino.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":qjumdsic said:
I like him and he's a great fit for us but we shouldn't pay him more than the minimum because we have to pay the people that actually play in the games. And if we actually have a shot to get a good rookie quarterback kick him out the door posthaste.

Eh, Whitehurst and Campbell were paid in the $1.5M-2M range. T-Jack deserves less than them? Vet min. is $800K. An extra $800K-$1M for insurance isn't going to kill the team. It's funny; a bunch of people here wanted to keep Matt Flynn and his $6M salary on the roster last year "just in case." T-Jack is a better QB than Matt Flynn.

BJ Daniels was a UDFA who was cut by the 49ers in favor of John Skelton and Colt McCoy. If he beats T-Jack in camp, so be it, but I'm not exactly ready to put the franchise in the kid's hands just yet. Is saving <$1M against the cap really worth burning a 4-6th rd. pick on a rookie QB who might not even make the team?

Give me T-Jack!

Rooster854

Reaction score
RW doesn't need anyone to compete against him to make him better.He starts that himself when he gets up in the morning looks in the mirror and says "You're not that great .... Let's get to Work !!!"

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
themunn":1ibzyyem said:
MadSweeney":1ibzyyem said:
Seahawk Sailor":1ibzyyem said:
If I told you four years ago that a guy would rather stay as a backup in Seattle than go somewhere else for the chance at being a starter, you'd have thought I'd lost my marbles. Amazing what a Super Bowl win and a great team environment do to change perceptions. He knows he could probably be a starter elsewhere, but he'd rather stay here.

Your last sentence makes me think that you've definitely lost your marbles. He was 3rd or 4th string on Buffalo. There comes a time in every player's career when they know that their starting days are over, a fact which he is obviously admitting. TJ would be a great b/u and we know that he has the respect and friendship of the locker room for his season as a tackling dummy. Even if they hadn't won the SB, I'd lay good odds that he'd want to stay. It's a perfect fit for him.

Just because a dysfunctional franchise like Buffalo doesn't think he's a starter or even 2nd string back-up doesn't tell you anything about his ability. Remember, this is the same team that thought better to roll with Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller over Marshawn Lynch.
Jackson is better than every QB that started for Cleveland, Buffalo, New York (Jets), Houston, Jacksonville, Oakland and even Minnesota. That's a league average QB guys. I'd arguably even take him over Andy Dalton, who owes much of his success to AJ Green.

Jackson was pretty terrible when he was with the Vikings. I think he has improved though and could be around 20 or so ranking for QBs in the league

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Largent80":38x7wym2 said:
Do you want the backup to be named BJ?

220692283267.jpg

...although I like the flip side better.

Cartire

Reaction score
Love me some TJax. Throw can back me up on this. We are spoiled to have a quality backup.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1pozjwok said:
I think this is a fantastic indicator of the Seahawks culture. I've no doubt TJ has seen a lot of dysfunction in his years, and staying in a locker room with such great camaraderie has to ease the pain of not being the starter.

That and he's got 1 more Super Bowl ring than Dan Marino.

And he did play for his ring too.... :mrgreen:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Pie Romania

Reaction score
DavidSeven":38da5mfh said:
MizzouHawkGal":38da5mfh said:
I like him and he's a great fit for us but we shouldn't pay him more than the minimum because we have to pay the people that actually play in the games. And if we actually have a shot to get a good rookie quarterback kick him out the door posthaste.

Eh, Whitehurst and Campbell were paid in the $1.5M-2M range. T-Jack deserves less than them? Vet min. is $800K. An extra $800K-$1M for insurance isn't going to kill the team. It's funny; a bunch of people here wanted to keep Matt Flynn and his $6M salary on the roster last year "just in case." T-Jack is a better QB than Matt Flynn.

BJ Daniels was a UDFA who was cut by the 49ers in favor of John Skelton and Colt McCoy. If he beats T-Jack in camp, so be it, but I'm not exactly ready to put the franchise in the kid's hands just yet. Is saving <$1M against the cap really worth burning a 4-6th rd. pick on a rookie QB who might not even make the team?

Give me T-Jack!

I've learned over the time I've been here that you should probably just ignore her posts. A lot of what she types is either incorrect information or an opinion that just makes you shake your head.

I expect this team to upgrade the O-Line in some fashion this year, but let's just say things happen and we're seeing instant pressure on Wilson again like last year (God forbid). Do you really want to chance that Wilson survives repeated hits from defenses like the 49ers, Rams or even Cardinals and possibly have someone like BJ Daniels have to come in if Wilson is unable to continue? That isn't aimed at you David, btw. A guy that (off the top of my head), has 0 experience starting in the NFL? If it's my decision, I pay a little more to have a guy like T-Jack who may not be the greatest QB, but he knows our offensive plays, players, etc. and has proven that he's more than capable of being a backup that can come in and win half the games he plays (or possibly more with the team we have now). That's what I'm looking for in a backup QB. They don't need to be a stud, but if on an average or above average team a backup QB can win half the games they play in, you should be thankful. Put that same average QB on a team like the Seahawks and I bet he wins 60% or better depending on the schedule.

You don't try to save a million or less with the QB position if you've got a guy saying he wants to stay and isn't going to cost a ton anyway. I'd rather pay the extra money for the peace of mind and have him sit there on the bench when the wrong decision of trying to save some cash for a guy who has no experience could bite you in the ass and turn a 12-4 season into 7-9 (or much worse) and missing the playoffs.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
[urlTargetBlank][/urlTargetBlank]
Seahawk Sailor":2cwhbgkg said:

I do too. See how that worked out? It's fine if he takes peanuts but why would he? Even if I and everyone else wishes for it. He's a top flight backup so there's no way he doesn't get a couple of serious offers as such.

captSE

Reaction score
Meh. Sorry, I'd rather see Josh Portis back on the roster. Oh yeah, he got drunk but wtf, that's not a anomaly on this team. Hopefully he is reincarnated as sober guy and can play.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think a cheaper backup QB would do just as well as Tarvares in mop up duties. As far as ever NEEDING a guy for a few games, Tarvares is still not the guy I want to see under center. Bring on Daniels.