(unreal) Sherman is a 49er

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Aw Mang":dobk6r7h said:
People who blame Sherman for signing with SF have no idea how real life works. Loyalty is for suckers.
Hating it is not the same thing as blaming him for it, and those that don't realize the vast majority of us are in the former group are suckers.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I really find myself in an odd spot on this one.

I am not going to pretend now that I’ve always been a fan of Richard Sherman. God knows I’ve hated the guy and the name Dick Sherman has been uttered more than once.

What I can say though is that as much as I have hated Sherman and his behavior on the field, I’ve always respected his ability. It’s not unlike Deion. Hated CB for a division rival...tho admittedly at very different stages of their careers.

I also know how much it sucks to see a great player walk away and sign with a team you hate (For me...Roger Craig, Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice, Etc, etc).

My thoughts on the signing itself? I like it. Niners pretty much running Seattle D from a scheme standpoint so it was a logical choice both for the team and Sherman. The contract number is huge but it’s fake money. Say what you want about the Niners but they don’t do stupid contracts without protecting themselves.

I’m sure playing Seattle twice a year factored into his decision, but IMO the biggest factor in his signing in SF is scheme and the Niners need at the position. He’ll be asked to do what he did in Seattle and he’ll also be an influence on younger 49ers...Ahkello Witherspoon in particular.

If he is just 80% of what he was in Seattle, it will have been worth it. If he’s not, they’ve protected themselves.

Finally, while their will be a ton of Niner fans reveling in Seahawk fan disappointment, I won’t be one of them. Happened to me way to many times and I know it sucks.

Peace.

RedAlice

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1kvop2ut said:
Aw Mang":1kvop2ut said:
People who blame Sherman for signing with SF have no idea how real life works. Loyalty is for suckers.
Hating it is not the same thing as blaming him for it, and those that don't realize the vast majority of us are in the former group are suckers.

Well said.

Fade

Reaction score
Like Okung he did a poor job negotiating his 1st contract. All though Okung did redeem himself with an amazing job on his 2nd negotiation with the Chargers.

Sherm should of visited more teams, and got a bidding war going to drive up the guarantees if not the price tag outright.

Sticking it to Pete & John became more important though, and I don't blame him. Sherm has been having discussions on an extension with Hawks before they cut him, and PCJS probably told him he couldn't get $13M ÅPY with low guarantees coming off an injury, and he needed to take a pay cut.

It's a principle thing with Sherman, he loves to prove a point. Then rub it in.

It's Pete Carroll's fault via John Schneider for blowing money on bum free agents over the years so the team had very little space left going into this off-season.

Sherm may not be great anymore, but he still has 3-4 good to very good years left in him, Pete Carroll is going to have egg on his face at the end of the year... again.

Pete Carroll may need to retire, I think his brain broke after the play, and he hasn't recovered.

Keep Sherm 1 more yr for a comp pick, or trade him mid-season for a pick & some cap relief would be the ideal route to take.

The last thing the Seahawks need is cap space. Who are they going to spend it on? Cary Williams? Luke Joeckel? EDDIE LACY!??!!?!?

chris98251

Reaction score
He took what the market was offering, he was on his way to Detroit, he will make it back and play, he has a knack of healing well and fast. How many teams cut players before the final year of their contract? A lot, most contracts are fake contract only honored until the later part where the big money escalates, why the get renegotiated if the player is young and why they get cut if they are in the dreaded 30 area.

The real question the 49ers have to ask is he back and ready or pushing to hard and high risk of re injury, if they let him take his time and is sound then he could be a factor for a couple years. Problem with Achilles injuries is if not stretched out completely and ready to go a re tear can happen.

If he is back the incentives are not that hard to achieve, he just got the whole S.F. fan base and surrounding areas to vote him in the Pro Bowl plus we know about name recognition and the Pro Bowl, All Pro may be tougher, but he has his peers he plays against that have always said he was a tough nut to crack.

RedAlice

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3bola9ja said:
At least Arizona still sucks, right? Right!?

:p

Smile.

Az has some time, very curious to even see who their QB is.

Maybe they get Tru and we are all just shifting players

peppersjap

Reaction score
I think Sherman had no choice but to take what SF threw at him. I didn't think anyone would throw that kind of money at least until he was healthy. I hate having him in SF but good for him. I agree with cutting him but hate seeing him go. He is fantastic against big receivers but small ones can give him problems and since we seldom have a WR over 6'0 we should be good. I kind of look forward to him matching up with Baldwin!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just to break down this contract:

No matter what Sherman gets 7 million this year.

If he plays the full season he gets 10 million this year.

If he makes the Probowl he gets 13 million this year, and 16 million in guarantees kick in for years 2 and 3.

If he doesn’t make the pro bowl this year it’s essentially a one year 7-10 million dollar deal with two years of team options at 13 APY but without any guarantees.

I wouldn’t blame Sherman and him representing himself for this deal. This is what Paraag Marathi deals look like even when people have agents (see JGQ’s contract, for instance).

This leaves the 9ers with about 40 million in usable cap space this year (“usable” meaning not including money for draft picks and few million in wiggle room to go into the season with). As for how much of that 40 million they’ll spend versus carry over, I think a lot of that depends on Allen Robinson. Without Robinson they’ll probably carry over 15-20, with Robinson they’ll probably carry over 10-15.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
chris98251":2nl21f60 said:
He took what the market was offering, he was on his way to Detroit, he will make it back and play, he has a knack of healing well and fast. How many teams cut players before the final year of their contract? A lot, most contracts are fake contract only honored until the later part where the big money escalates, why the get renegotiated if the player is young and why they get cut if they are in the dreaded 30 area.

The real question the 49ers have to ask is he back and ready or pushing to hard and high risk of re injury, if they let him take his time and is sound then he could be a factor for a couple years. Problem with Achilles injuries is if not stretched out completely and ready to go a re tear can happen.

If he is back the incentives are not that hard to achieve, he just got the whole S.F. fan base and surrounding areas to vote him in the Pro Bowl plus we know about name recognition and the Pro Bowl, All Pro may be tougher, but he has his peers he plays against that have always said he was a tough nut to crack.
I hope he stays shelved until September or October.

rossob

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":cezh6kn8 said:
I was fine yesterday with his release. Today I’m depressed. I can take solace in the fact that the whiners don’t have the same Richard Sherman that we had in Seattle.
That's a good way to look at it!

mrt144

Reaction score
Jeremy517":1vq5cjga said:
Str8OuttaSkittles":1vq5cjga said:
IKR this is a scummy move on his part but nevermind can finally forget about it now

There is nothing scummy about this. He's a native Californian, he went to college bout 30 minutes away, and it seems unlikely that anyone else was going to offer that much money to a 30-year-old coming of Achilles surgery.

It might suck to see him in red and gold, but the Seahawks made a business decision to let him go, and he took an offer that seems to be a good fit for him.

Less than 30, although yes, traffic on 101 and 280 can be terrible between Palo Alto and Santa Clara.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Marvin49":2mtojuzq said:
I really find myself in an odd spot on this one.

I am not going to pretend now that I’ve always been a fan of Richard Sherman. God knows I’ve hated the guy and the name Dick Sherman has been uttered more than once.

What I can say though is that as much as I have hated Sherman and his behavior on the field, I’ve always respected his ability. It’s not unlike Deion. Hated CB for a division rival...tho admittedly at very different stages of their careers.

I also know how much it sucks to see a great player walk away and sign with a team you hate (For me...Roger Craig, Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice, Etc, etc).

My thoughts on the signing itself? I like it. Niners pretty much running Seattle D from a scheme standpoint so it was a logical choice both for the team and Sherman. The contract number is huge but it’s fake money. Say what you want about the Niners but they don’t do stupid contracts without protecting themselves.

I’m sure playing Seattle twice a year factored into his decision, but IMO the biggest factor in his signing in SF is scheme and the Niners need at the position. He’ll be asked to do what he did in Seattle and he’ll also be an influence on younger 49ers...Ahkello Witherspoon in particular.

If he is just 80% of what he was in Seattle, it will have been worth it. If he’s not, they’ve protected themselves.

Finally, while their will be a ton of Niner fans reveling in Seahawk fan disappointment, I won’t be one of them. Happened to me way to many times and I know it sucks.

Peace.

Interesting thoughts. Thank you.

I happen to have a different view and this is not pointed at anyone.

I think this may be a great signing. The contract is favorable to the niners and he gets what he wants. We also get a lot out of it as well. We get the cap room...but we get something even bigger. WE get to play AGAINST him 2 times a year. Probably not the first year but maybe the second year. FIRE TEMPERS STEEL. Our team will be under fire for them games at least and will have to be sharper than that for them 2 games.

Will we be watching him...of course. He has to, with his new team, play the Rams, Cardies, and Us. How are the Niners gonna play him??? We wont know until we see him play. Will he be able to take the best receiver, TE, or a portion of the field away?? we dont know. He is an inquisitive player but who can back him up if he needs it? Marvin and the other 9er hopefuls know.

This season turned very interesting indeed.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
Sherman has a knack for healing quickly, and the time table for his return puts him back on the field in early July, which will be right in time for training camp. So I think we will see him twice this year.

The chip he must have on his shoulder due to us cutting him, which is what likely caused him to sign with our former rival before visiting any other team to ensure he gets a shot at intercepting RW3 twice a year, will serve as motivation to rehab quickly.

Even more....I fear that it will motivate him to play at a higher level that will make him look 4 years younger.

We all know his passion for the game, and how he turns said passion into a dominant performance against those who upset him the most. We very well might see a Richard Sherman that emerges in 2018 as a man on fire that takes out his anger of being cut by the team that drafted him, loved him, and then ultimately kicked him to the curb, and makes us pay for it twice a year. Specifically making Wilson pay for it.

The heart and soul of the LOB just went to a division rival. I guess we will get a taste of what the rest of the league felt like now playing against him.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
Another thing that just pissed me off more about this....

If Jimmy Garoppolo served as motivation for Sherm to sign with the Niners, imagine the motivation that the rest of the free agents will now have when considering the Niners with Sherm now on the defensive side of the ball?

If Allen Robinson becomes a 49er this week when “free agency frenzy” starts...I’m gonna throw up.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":9oycfbzj said:
Another thing that just pissed me off more about this....

If Jimmy Garoppolo served as motivation for Sherm to sign with the Niners, imagine the motivation that the rest of the free agents will now have when considering the Niners with Sherm now on the defensive side of the ball?

If Allen Robinson becomes a 49er this week when “free agency frenzy” starts...I’m gonna throw up.
They may not want him. When Shanahan was recently asked about adding a big redzone threat, he went on a rant about beig tall isn’t everything when you’re slow, or otherwise one dimensional. Wouldn’t be surprised if thy went after Sammy Watkins instead. Or even Moncrief.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":iz0whk1f said:
Sherman has a knack for healing quickly, and the time table for his return puts him back on the field in early July, which will be right in time for training camp. So I think we will see him twice this year.

The chip he must have on his shoulder due to us cutting him, which is what likely caused him to sign with our former rival before visiting any other team to ensure he gets a shot at intercepting RW3 twice a year, will serve as motivation to rehab quickly.

Even more....I fear that it will motivate him to play at a higher level that will make him look 4 years younger.

We all know his passion for the game, and how he turns said passion into a dominant performance against those who upset him the most. We very well might see a Richard Sherman that emerges in 2018 as a man on fire that takes out his anger of being cut by the team that drafted him, loved him, and then ultimately kicked him to the curb, and makes us pay for it twice a year. Specifically making Wilson pay for it.

The heart and soul of the LOB just went to a division rival. I guess we will get a taste of what the rest of the league felt like now playing against him.
:roll: The heart and soul of LOB is Kam, and Sherman isn't the same player he was a few years ago, coming off a serious injury and let's not act he is the same player that was in his prime.