Weather

OkieHawk

Reaction score
It was brought up in the game day thread, and before as well, but does adverse weather affect Wilson? Yesterday was his worst performance as a Seahawk, with very bad weather conditions yesterday (wind and rain). Or, was it just a fluke, something that happens to every quarterback once in a blue moon? Thoughts?

OP
OP
OkieHawk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2kowqn2b said:
2 of his INT's hit the hands of receivers.

True, but in games where the weather was less than optimal, he hasn't performed well. It wasn't as bad as yesterday, but still not his usual self. I'm not saying it is definitely a factor, but that it may be. Something to think about until the SB is all.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
1 INT was a bad throw
2 INT were good throws that the receiver didn't catch
1 INT was a 50/50 ball that the majority of the time the receiver is going to catch, or knock down, and was a great play by the defender

It took an amazing game by the Green Bay offensive line for Aaron Rodgers to just barely have a better game than Wilson.

minormillikin

Reaction score
What I was thinking - and people who were there might know better- but the weather was changing a lot. Dumping rain one second and pleasant the next. That might be a factor.

How was it when Russ was playing poorly and how was it when he was great?

In any case, there's some dramatic irony if Seattle's best all time quarterback's kryptonite is rain.

OP
OP
OkieHawk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
minormillikin":3vckijrc said:
In any case, there's some dramatic irony if Seattle's best all time quarterback's kryptonite is rain.

Which was my point, just not put so eloquently. Not sure if this is the case, but it would be disconcerting if so.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It was coming down pretty heavily in the first half. Maybe that didn't come across very well on the broadcast. The best weather of the game was in the 4th Q and OT and that's when the offenses of both teams looked the best as you would expect.

Wind and rain probably didn't affect RW's poor decision making on a couple of throws, but it did affect the under-thrown INT and the two INTs that hit Kearse's hands. Wind and rain affects every QB in the NFL.

I think 90% of the passing struggles in this game can be explained by that negative feedback loop between RW and Kearse. RW is the sort of QB to immediately go back to a guy who makes a mistake. Factoring in the conditions, the coverage, that the Packers picked up on this, and Kearse struggling and it was a downwards spiral that was going to end badly. Breaking out of that is what makes the OT catch such a good story, and thankfully prevents about 500 threads about running Kearse out of town on a rail over a long off-season.

OP
OP
OkieHawk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
AgentDib said:
It was coming down pretty heavily in the first half. Maybe that didn't come across very well on the broadcast. The best weather of the game was in the 4th Q and OT and that's when the offenses of both teams looked the best as you would expect.

No, it didn't come across too well in the broadcast, so thanks for that information. Also, I don't think anyone would disagree (except Anthony!) that Russ had poor decision on two of those interceptions. Regardless, WE WON!

kjreid

Reaction score
He has played lights out in bad weather before he had two poor passes into coverage and two that were catchable but Kerse couldn't handle them. I think he was pressing way to much and trying to fit the ball instead of allowing his receivers to go to the ball.

OP
OP
OkieHawk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
kjreid":2pbkexlb said:
He has played lights out in bad weather before he had two poor passes into coverage and two that were catchable but Kerse couldn't handle them. I think he was pressing way to much and trying to fit the ball instead of allowing his receivers to go to the ball.

In the other bad weather games he didn't do well until the weather had passed. The lighting delayed game comes to mind in this regard.