We're sitting at about 59 million

massari

Reaction score
The NFL salary cap is expected to increase 8-$13M for 2020

So after releasing Britt, KJ and Ed Dickson they could have close to $90M in cap room.

Hopefully they can just get Britt and KJ to take pay cuts.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
[*]
massari":69v2895i said:

So after releasing Britt, KJ and Ed Dickson they could have close to $90M in cap room.

Mr. Storian above stated after tenders, we'll be under 50 mil, so an additional 15-25 puts us at most around 75.

I'd suspect a Britt renegotiation, not sure KJ would go for that, as he could probably get near his number in the open market. As good as he was this year, I'd suspect he's a strong candidate to be cut. Barton is a more natural WILL than SAM, and he probably figures to take KJ's spot in the nickel package either way, as coverage is where he excels.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Yeah. He may have been our best defensive player this year. I love him. But when you’re 29th in yards per play, nobody is critical. He’s expensive and has a promising, cheap young player behind him.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Tical21":t3rloiga said:
[*]
massari":t3rloiga said:

Mr. Storian above stated after tenders, we'll be under 50 mil, so an additional 15-25 puts us at most around 75.

I'd suspect a Britt renegotiation, not sure KJ would go for that, as he could probably get near his number in the open market. As good as he was this year, I'd suspect he's a strong candidate to be cut. Barton is a more natural WILL than SAM, and he probably figures to take KJ's spot in the nickel package either way, as coverage is where he excels.

KJ wasn't great this year, allowed the second most RAC in the league only behind Bobby Wagner. Neither LB played up to their contract, but KJ is infinitely more expendable.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
KJ also had a lot of splash plays that ultimately got undone by our lack of pass rush on the next down. It was a very up-and-down year for both him and Bobby, but a lot of that was a base defense approach that Pete said he was unable to change in the middle of the season. I wouldn't bet on him leaving right away.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
KJ is done. If you bring him back then you aren't serious about fixing the D. He is slow and cant get off blocks. We are severely lacking in speed on this defense.

uncle fester

Reaction score
KJ has lost a step, or two, and much as we love what he’s done for the team, the cut may be coming. The hard pill is I think Bobby has lost a step too, but can cover his weakness much more in the middle.

Luke Wilson’s contribution was negligible this season - granted he was planning to be a Raider at the start - but I think his role could be filled with a rookie who can block. Hollister is there to catch passes as we all wait to see if Dissly can last a full season.

I have no idea about Clowney. Would love to keep that game-wrecking ability that doesn’t always show up on stat sheets. But not at the expense of cutting off other avenues to strengthen the defense over all. Bah...

themunn

Reaction score
I think you spend what you need to on Clowney, make a run at 2 FA OL, and draft the hell out of defense.

e.g. I'd love to see us pay Clowney, Conklin and Scherff, though I imagine all 3 will probably get the highest paid contract at their respective positions this offseason. Might not be possible but spotrac puts us as having 7th most cap space and by far the most attractive proposition of the top 10 so not impossible.

We've never really gone for the best players at their positions in FA before, opting to take the 2nd wave and get a bit more value for money, but aside from hitting on Bennett and Avril I'm not so sure the approach has paid off. O-line in particular we've struggled with drafting as well as bringing in FA so why not push the boat out.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Draft a center, and tackle.....cut Britt
Consider one of these at right price Robert Quinn, Dante Fowler, Vic Beasly
Sign Sherff
Sign Chris Jones (instead of Clowney)
Draft 2 CBs (one slot, one outside) competes with Ugo and Flowers.
Draft DT, pass rushing DE

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":tqeaojxs said:
KJ also had a lot of splash plays that ultimately got undone by our lack of pass rush on the next down. It was a very up-and-down year for both him and Bobby, but a lot of that was a base defense approach that Pete said he was unable to change in the middle of the season. I wouldn't bet on him leaving right away.
yeah, i'm mostly in-step with this. KJ had about as good of a year diagnosing screen plays as I can ever remember seeing from a LB. Really, really elite stuff. And it's a good thing because on many of those, we didn't have numbers behind him to stop it from being a big play. His lack of speed showed up at times, but a lot the numbers he gave up are because teams had all day to find underneath and intermediate stuff, and weren't attacking us deep. We barely gave up any deep plays all year. If you're covering deep and don't get pressure, the QB is going to find underneath guys open.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Tical21":25zqn098 said:
MontanaHawk05":25zqn098 said:
yeah, i'm mostly in-step with this. KJ had about as good of a year diagnosing screen plays as I can ever remember seeing from a LB. Really, really elite stuff. And it's a good thing because on many of those, we didn't have numbers behind him to stop it from being a big play. His lack of speed showed up at times, but a lot the numbers he gave up are because teams had all day to find underneath and intermediate stuff, and weren't attacking us deep. We barely gave up any deep plays all year. If you're covering deep and don't get pressure, the QB is going to find underneath guys open.

That's been this defense's bread and butter for years, but they were fast enough to limit YAC when the play went underneath. Doesn't matter if you don't give up the deep ball if routinely give up third down underneath. Neither KJ or Bobby showed that necessary speed, or consistent enough tackling this past season.

And I don't have the stats in front of me, but they were not good against the screen this year despite one or two splash plays by the LBs.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Zero chance you're getting Yannick. But there are multiple cheaper options that look like good fits. Britt wasn't all that good but we also saw what happened when he went down. Center could also be accomplished via the draft with a couple of talented centers available outside of the first. I do think with Pete only having a couple of years left he may approach this off season with a more short sighted approach wanting to go all in and make one last big push for a ring.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
HawkStrong":3sexhyjm said:
Tical21":3sexhyjm said:
MontanaHawk05":3sexhyjm said:

That's been this defense's bread and butter for years, but they were fast enough to limit YAC when the play went underneath. Doesn't matter if you don't give up the deep ball if routinely give up third down underneath. Neither KJ or Bobby showed that necessary speed, or consistent enough tackling this past season.

And I don't have the stats in front of me, but they were not good against the screen this year despite one or two splash plays by the LBs.
KJ was extremely good at screen plays his direction. Like, freakishly good. I guess you can choose whether or not to take my word for it, but i agree with everything else you said.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
austinslater25":23eefn5w said:
Zero chance you're getting Yannick. But there are multiple cheaper options that look like good fits. Britt wasn't all that good but we also saw what happened when he went down. Center could also be accomplished via the draft with a couple of talented centers available outside of the first. I do think with Pete only having a couple of years left he may approach this off season with a more short sighted approach wanting to go all in and make one last big push for a ring.
I'm sure they're going to push for a ring. Why would there be no chance you're getting Yannick?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think they really wan't to resign Clowney and they're not going to invest another 21 million in the same position. Plus I think Jax can tag him. Clayton said he thinks there is zero chance Seattle gets him and maybe I'm letting his opinion sway mine too much in this, that's possible.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":28vny3i2 said:
I think they really wan't to resign Clowney and they're not going to invest another 21 million in the same position. Plus I think Jax can tag him. Clayton said he thinks there is zero chance Seattle gets him and maybe I'm letting his opinion sway mine too much in this, that's possible.

Sign Clowney, offer Reed a 10M one year deal and use your first rounder on an edge rusher.

Not a deep draft for DE, but still some intriguing names slotted towards the bottom of the first/top of the 2nd.

No one's giving Reed a monster deal, he had a terrible year. So I think we can get him on a 8-10M one year deal for him to hit the market again after balling out.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think it's going to be very tough to address the Dline in the draft. There are a couple of names that look solid now but I bet by draft time they're all taken earlier than the internet scouts think they will be. Look what happened last year. I think 12 went before we picked. A guy like Kinlaw looks fantastic at the Senior Bowl but by draft time I doubt he is there in our range. I could be wrong but I think they have to address this in FA or with a trade. But what do I know, I'm a moron so maybe Tical can enlighten us here.

I think it's going to be easier to find good interior line help in the late 1st/early 2nd and/or WR two positions I think they need to upgrade just as badly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":1flcd3a5 said:
I think it's going to be very tough to address the Dline in the draft. There are a couple of names that look solid now but I bet by draft time they're all taken earlier than the internet scouts think they will be. Look what happened last year. I think 12 went before we picked. I could be wrong but I think they have to address this in FA or with a trade. But what do I know, I'm a moron so maybe Tical can enlighten us here.

I think it's going to be easier to find good interior line help in the late 1st/early 2nd and/or WR two positions I think they need to upgrade just as badly.

While I agree, I just don't see any way John goes after two high price DE free agents.

When have we ever signed a big name first wave FA? Clowney may be deemed different because he has history here now, but I highly doubt if we sign him we're going to invest that much cap in another big name.

Just not Pete and John's style, they look for bargains in wave two and three with FA's.......or trade.