What are the expectations

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
They could make the post season, but how are people expecting it? Yes, the defense will be improved, but the offense will have another OC and scheme to learn. A regression will probably follow on that side of the ball.

keasley45

Reaction score
They could make the post season, but how are people expecting it? Yes, the defense will be improved, but the offense will have another OC and scheme to learn. A regression will probably follow on that side of the ball.
Unless MacDonald is a bust, we will be better than last year.

Remember, JS is in this position because the team underachieved. He is determined to get what's there to have from this team as it's been currently constructed.

The reason he got MacDonald was because he's adaptable, a brilliant xs and os guy, he connects well with his players, and does so while holding them accountable with tough love.

All of these things were criticisms of Pete. Not adaptable, not evolving, he connected well with players but didn't employ tough love to get better results.

We finished 9-8 and Schneider pulled the plug. In his eyes, there's significantly more juice there to squeeze than whatvwe did last year. He sees Mac as the guy to do it.

The defense will be improved, which by that fact alone makes us better than we were last year.

And offenses in this era are fairly ubiquitous. That doesn't mean they are easy to run effectively. But it does mean that the concepts are far less different than concepts were a dozen years ago. So the idea of bringing on a playcaller to evolve what we werebdoingblast year isn't a huge lift. And to that point, I'm sure the basis of the convo between JS and MM dealt with MM perception of our team based on playing us. MM's view of our team likely jibes 100% with John's - considerable potential. Failed execution.

We will be better than last year. Easily. John did bring in a new guy to reset this thing. He brought in a new guy to elevate it.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have weapons on offense, scheme changes everything, on Defense we drafted young talent and I don't think we are that far away, again scheme and aggression, why Quinn was successful also we were much more aggressive up front. I don't think we are off schedule as much as most of the ones posting have suggested. 9 - 8, 10 - 7 at least.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have none.

Remember, JS is in this position because the team underachieved. He is determined to get what's there to have from this team as it's been currently constructed.

The reason he got MacDonald was because he's adaptable, a brilliant xs and os guy, he connects well with his players, and does so while holding them accountable with tough love.

All of these things were criticisms of Pete. Not adaptable, not evolving, he connected well with players but didn't employ tough love to get better results.

We finished 9-8 and Schneider pulled the plug. In his eyes, there's significantly more juice there to squeeze than whatvwe did last year. He sees Mac as the guy to do it.

The defense will be improved, which by that fact alone makes us better than we were last year.

And offenses in this era are fairly ubiquitous. That doesn't mean they are easy to run effectively. But it does mean that the concepts are far less different than concepts were a dozen years ago. So the idea of bringing on a playcaller to evolve what we werebdoingblast year isn't a huge lift. And to that point, I'm sure the basis of the convo between JS and MM dealt with MM perception of our team based on playing us. MM's view of our team likely jibes 100% with John's - considerable potential. Failed execution.

We will be better than last year. Easily. John did bring in a new guy to reset this thing. He brought in a new guy to elevate it.

This is unnecessarily viewing things in a vacuum. There is no guarantee Pete wins 8-10 games next year just because you did this year. The cap space is bad, you trade valuable draft capital for Williams who may walk and you’re going to lose a few starters. Macdonald could be a success and they still win less games.

I think they may be a playoff team because it’s entirely possible. But if not and we see improvement in key areas and they gain cap space, roster gets better it will be a success

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

I disagree with just about all of this. Nowhere did you account for players being cut and new players being added. Also, I don't buy the offense just picking up a new playbook and schemes without skipping a beat.

By your post, it seems you are under the impression that Macdonald is just going to inherit last years team with no changes being made. That's just not true. I highly doubt they will be as successful as last seasons team and that's not Macdonald being a bust. It's just the start of the process. There will be growing pains.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Playoff, or failure.

With a sorry ass defense, we were one game off from making the playoff. With a young defense 'wizkid', we have reason to expect improvements on defense, that should translate to at least ONE extra win.
We’re also in deep trouble with the cap. We’re going to likely be unloading a lot of contracts. The 2024 Seahawks will be a lot different than 2023.

I suspect guys like Tyler Lockett, Wagner, Dissley, among others will be gone. We also don’t have guys such as Williams under contract.

There is going to be a lot of restructuring, contracts cut, or guys that don’t fit what we’re trying to do.

Fade

Reaction score
I luv you guys. But it's a few months too early.

-Gotta hire the rest of the staff.

-Who is the QB?

-Who do they cut on defense?

-Who do they add on defense in Free Agency?

-What about the O-Line?

-How well did they draft in 2024 as a whole?

The only current expectation I have is they will be better on defense than last year by default. But to what level I do not know, as a lot still needs to happen before expectations can be set.

Based off of this hire, K.J. Wright thinks they will win a SuperBowl in 3-4 years. And I see a path to that, but a lot of work needs to be done first.

morgulon1

Reaction score
The defense will be better in spite of the roster. Expect them to take a giant leap year 2.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I disagree with just about all of this. Nowhere did you account for players being cut and new players being added. Also, I don't buy the offense just picking up a new playbook and schemes without skipping a beat.

By your post, it seems you are under the impression that Macdonald is just going to inherit last years team with no changes being made. That's just not true. I highly doubt they will be as successful as last seasons team and that's not Macdonald being a bust. It's just the start of the process. There will be growing pains.
The thing that really bothers me is the Seahawks are going into this thing with the expectation of keeping the same culture. This to me is completely unrealistic. Mike McDonald needs to create this team based off of his culture and who he is.Jodi Allen's directive to keep the same culture is a sign to me that she is clueless.

The Key for McDonald is to get good people around him that work well together.

Interesting to see who they bring in to support McDonald.

Right now I am NOT a big fan of John Schneider... we will see how he supports McDonald, as I see him as a good young coach but I see him as inexperienced and I think his EARLY success depends on the support around him.

LTH

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The thing that really bothers me is the Seahawks are going into this thing with the expectation of keeping the same culture. This to me is completely unrealistic. Mike McDonald needs to create this team based off of his culture and who he is.

Totally agree. Every aspect is going to be somewhat different now.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I don't care about the record. I want to see players with bloated salaries cut. No more idiotic trades for ten game rentals. No more idiotic trades, period, John! Effort on defense. Significantly improved tackling. Guys grappling to learn a new system. It's alright if they struggle at first. Creative defensive play calls. Hopefully an OC who can do likewise on offense. I see zero reason to keep Geno behind center but I won't freak if they do it for one more season. But no more settling for mediocrity just to keep the party rolling along. I want to see the whole team -- front office, coaches and players -- going for it and if we crash and burn, at least it will have been an entertaining season. In real terms, that means give younger guys with higher ceilings a chance to succeed or fail. Keep a couple of low priced veterans around for clubhouse leadership on minimum contracts, but no more overpaying guys who really don't have it anymore. If KJ and Sherm don't like it, oh well.
Mostly this. I want to see change and I want to be entertained. I have said multiple times that I was entertained by the on the field product in the 90s than I have been the last half a decade plus. Those were some shit teams but at least it wasn't watching somebody try to ram the same square peg into the same round hole for 5 years. The continual flux at least provided variety and hope in the struggle. Plus we were watching Tez.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Totally agree. Every aspect is going to be somewhat different now.
The question is, why are they talking like they want to keep the same culture? Clearly Pete was fired because they didn't like the direction he was taking the team. So to say yeah we are going to stay the course and continue to treat players the way Pete did after you fired him because he couldn't relate with younger players he couldn't communicate or what ever the issue was?

Sounds to me like it's a bunch of lip service...

McDonald was successfully in this league because of his personality and what he brings to the table...

I just think either Schneider is creating a unrealistic senerio that is going to end up butting heads or he is just talking what management wants to hear and he is going to let it play out the way McDonald wants it to.

LTH