What are the expectations

JustTheTip

Reaction score
The question is, why are they talking like they want to keep the same culture? Clearly Pete was fired because they didn't like the direction he was taking the team. So to say yeah we are going to stay the course and continue to treat players the way Pete did after you fired him because he couldn't relate with younger players he couldn't communicate or what ever the issue was?

Sounds to me like it's a bunch of lip service...

McDonald was successfully in this league because of his personality and what he brings to the table...

I just think either Schneider is creating a unrealistic senerio that is going to end up butting heads or he is just talking what management wants to hear and he is going to let it play out the way McDonald wants it to.

LTH
Probably is lip service. Probably to keep the fans who are hung up on Pete engaged.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
I am not expecting a record worse than this past season the offense to be similar but the defense to be improved and as a team to make the playoffs

I saw in a recent interview involving KJ Wright saying that the Hawks wouldn’t tackle in practice until the preseason that is going to change
A 30 minute video showing the parade of missed tackles from last season watched in a dark, uncomfortably warm room would be a nice place to start. Sweet Jesus - you might not be able to fit them all in 30 minutes,

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Probably is lip service. Probably to keep the fans who are hung up on Pete engaged.
Well there is no bigger fan of Pete then I am and I think it's stupid the way they are approaching this.

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I mean if you understand Pete his biggest thing is BE WHO YOU ARE.. 🤣

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I mean if you understand Pete his biggest thing is BE WHO YOU ARE.. 🤣
And I have no doubt Macdonald will be. He showed that in the press conference quite clearly. In the end, it is an entertainment business and they will tell what ever lies they need to in order to keep as many people as possible engaged.

12forlife

Reaction score
What I meant was, are people expecting a SB the first year? Are people expecting a play off run? What is the expectation?

LTH
I think you have to be realistic, I don't believe we can get all the holes filled & upgrade personnel wise in this offseason with limited draft capital & having to get creative with the cap.
With that said I feel Mac will intend on making the playoffs season 1 with vision of being a SB conteder by season 3? I personally look forward to having a "tough" defense again that can Slap the 9ers & rams around again. I get visions of Bam Bam knocking the soul out of Veron Davis!

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
And I have no doubt Macdonald will be. He showed that in the press conference quite clearly. In the end, it is an entertainment business and they will tell what ever lies they need to in order to keep as many people as possible engaged.
I hope that's the case because if it's NOT this is goingvto be a disaster.

LTH

renofox

Reaction score
The question is, why are they talking like they want to keep the same culture?
Focus group pablum to appease media and fans. Just like politicians. It is required in today's "I'm So Offended" culture.

...or he is just talking what management wants to hear...
Yes. 99% likely that the messaging strategy was discussed and agreed upon in a meeting. Standard MO nowadays.

renofox

Reaction score
A 30 minute video showing the parade of missed tackles from last season watched in a dark, uncomfortably warm room would be a nice place to start. Sweet Jesus - you might not be able to fit them all in 30 minutes,
8-hour mini-series?

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Focus group pablum to appease media and fans. Just like politicians. It is required in today's "I'm So Offended" culture.

Yes. 99% likely that the messaging strategy was discussed and agreed upon in a meeting. Standard MO nowadays.
Well... JS PC made me want to throw up...we will see how it plays out but based off of those last 2 PC's... I'm concerned. I'm really hoping he was not just a yes man for Pete. I mean yeah, he is a pretty good GM when it comes to process but now he is pretty much running the organization... we will see.

LTH

renofox

Reaction score
Well... JS PC made me want to throw up...we will see how it plays out but based off of those last 2 PC's... I'm concerned. I'm really hoping he was not just a yes man for Pete. I mean yeah, he is a pretty good GM when it comes to process but now he is pretty much running the organization... we will see.

LTH
We'll find out this off-season. If the idiotic moves and horrible cap management continues, we'll know that PC wasn't mostly or completely responsible for the horrendous decisions.

I have a feeling we'll start seeing a lot of moves that make sense, instead.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
We'll find out this off-season. If the idiotic moves and horrible cap management continues, we'll know that PC wasn't mostly or completely responsible for the horrendous decisions.

Well that's NOT where I was taking it but ok.. lol

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score

There is A Lot more to running an orgainization rather than personnel decisions.. it's about keeping positive continuity among a host of other factors... Pete did a really good job in that realm of things.

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
There is A Lot more to running an orgainization rather than personnel decisions.. it's about keeping positive continuity among a host of other factors... Pete did a really good job in that realm of things.

LTH
I think the Hawks should have fired JS as well and hired someone to completely reshape the orgainization...like they did when they hired Pete.

LTH

Ozzy

Reaction score
I disagree with just about all of this. Nowhere did you account for players being cut and new players being added. Also, I don't buy the offense just picking up a new playbook and schemes without skipping a beat.

By your post, it seems you are under the impression that Macdonald is just going to inherit last years team with no changes being made. That's just not true. I highly doubt they will be as successful as last seasons team and that's not Macdonald being a bust. It's just the start of the process. There will be growing pains.
Yeah I can't go along with the "he has to be better than last year or it was a mistake to move on" Every year the roster is different, cap situations are different, draft stock is different etc. It's possible with Pete this team wins 4 games next year and the bottom falls out. So to assume Pete would win 10 games and make the playoffs isn't fair to Macdonald.

Seattle has emphasized different areas of the defense than MacDonald's defense does so that alone could slow the process down. I think every coach deserves 3 years. It's entirely possible they win 12 games next year and take off or they win 7-8 and we see signs of what he's trying to do, I'm good either way.

RiverDog

Reaction score
My expectations for the first two years are pretty low, similar to what they have been for the past 2-3 years jogging in place on this endless treadmill. In the first season, I want to see him clean house and get rid of the dead wood, players like Adams, Diggs, Taylor, and Brooks. I want to see him prioritize the offensive line by dedicating a Day 1 or 2 draft pick to positions of need rather than patching it up with players who've never won a starting job in their NFL career (Evan Brown).

By Year 3, I expect us not only to make the playoffs, but to be a serious competitor for the Super Bowl, which means winning our division and advancing past the first round.

If by Year 4 we're not SB competitive, then I want a complete reset, which would include our GM.