What position would you take with our 1st round pick?

What position would you take with our 1st round pick?

• Offensive Tackle

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Offensive Guard

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Defensive Tackle

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Corner

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Safety

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wide Receiver

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Running Back

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Best Player Available (outside of QB)

Votes: 57 33.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think the DT talent at 26 is going to be significantly superior to the oline talent at that point.

There are things about Nkimdiche, Billings, V Butler, and A'Shawn that would get me pumped about either of them.

Particularly A'Shawn and Billings (how young they are and how the proper coaching could develop them into pass rushers), Butler is just an all around nice player. Doug Farrar's write ups on each of them for SI has me really interested in them.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It really depends on what position(s) on the O-line Pete and John want to improve the most. If they're not sold on Gilliam/Sowell at LT or Webb at RT there could be a good chance we go OT in the first. After late first/early second there won't be a lot of day 1 starting caliber tackles left so we would have to strike there with our first pick. I think Carroll really likes the LT competition we have going on and looking at the contract Webb got they trust him enough to at least hold the fort down this year. Glow also seems to have won over the coaches and will more than likely start at RG but center and especially LG could use an upgrade.

Point is that taking a center in the first round would be a reach. Even Ryan Kelly. The guard position really depends on what they want there. Do they want a guy who can play guard at first to later take over one of the tackle spots (Think guys like Ifedi, Coleman or maybe Whitehair) or do they want a guy like Glowinski who can really make the LG spot his own (Garnett, Mcgovern or Westerman for example)? If it's the first scenario we're looking at a 1st or trading up in the 2nd but the second, and more likely, scenario could be handled by staying put in the 2nd or even waiting for the 3rd and still get a top class guy.

That said, I think the OL situation can be handled without using a first rounder. Then we look at our next biggest holes: RB - we only have 2 on the roster and our leading back is coming off an injury, DT - interior pass rush is still not addressed and Siliga might not be the stop gap some are expecting as a run stuffer either, SAM - last year's starter left and we haven't brought in anyone new to take over and we're thus left with two back ups going at it.

Which one of the three would I choose? Easy, DT. SAM isn't a position worthy of a first rounder and neither is a 3rd down RB (even a number 1 RB can be gotten after the first round quite easily nowadays). DT on the other hand has plenty strong options available when we pick. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those guys is exactly what we're looking for.

Seafan

Reaction score
DL is what I suspect the Hawks will select. And I would select the best pass rusher available.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Given we gave Wilson 20M a year I'm hoping we draft OL and WR every chance we have until he retires. So obviously that means we will draft some Bruce Irvin type, a running back and a defensive back as soon as possible while drafting some nobody DL guy with the express purposes of starting him at C or LT. In fact we'll probably draft two such projects and start both of them.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Funny how we have only been to no less than 2 superbowls under PC/JS and we don't draft what the "experts" or fans think we should every year but still many on here can't get with the program or see the light. These guys draft who THEY believe will fit into our system not the bpa as ranked by the kipers of the world. Our first pick will either a traded away because they don't value the guy they want in the first round, or it will be a guy who everyone else says should go in the later rounds will be a reach that everyone here and the media hates and the guy will make the probowl in his second year. Just saying.... You can expect the unexpected with these guys. We'll get an F from Kiper and he'll have to change it to an A in two years. I'll be happy with whoever we pick because this FO has proven they know what they want when they want it and those guys produce.

nwHawk

Reaction score
All I would add is that Pete's more excited about the defensive talent in this draft than what's been available in the past couple of drafts. We'll see soon enough.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Ryan kelly is going to be the best center to come out in a while, would like to see that happen. If William Jackson III falls, would be hard for me to want to see them pass him up. He has L.O.B written all over him in my opinion.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Schadie001":363y7ah5 said:
Funny how we have only been to no less than 2 superbowls under PC/JS and we don't draft what the "experts" or fans think we should every year but still many on here can't get with the program or see the light. These guys draft who THEY believe will fit into our system not the bpa as ranked by the kipers of the world. Our first pick will either a traded away because they don't value the guy they want in the first round, or it will be a guy who everyone else says should go in the later rounds will be a reach that everyone here and the media hates and the guy will make the probowl in his second year. Just saying.... You can expect the unexpected with these guys. We'll get an F from Kiper and he'll have to change it to an A in two years. I'll be happy with whoever we pick because this FO has proven they know what they want when they want it and those guys produce.
Others and I have said the same thing pretty much over the last 3 yrs.I understand and agree with the whole post

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The more I think of it, if Jaylon Smith falls to our spot I, can see JS possibly taking him. The guy is a great talent and we have the players on the roster to fill his spot until he's ready to come back.

Thoughts?

penihawk

Reaction score
We will find out later this week after medical re-checks whether he is a 1st rd pick or a 4th-5th rd pick. I would say no for us but he is a great kid with a great attitude. Hope it works out for him.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
seabowl":3ty8tida said:
The more I think of it, if Jaylon Smith falls to our spot I, can see JS possibly taking him. The guy is a great talent and we have the players on the roster to fill his spot until he's ready to come back.

Thoughts?

If I was the Hawks' GM I'd say no for two reasons:

1) Assuming he can get back to where he was (let alone ever even play again) it would be a waste of his talent to plug him into Irvin's old spot, and Wright and Wagner are playing too well in their spots to start shuffling them around (I think Wright is actually much better on the weak side -- where Jaylon should be -- than on the strong side).

2) While an incredibly talented team, the Seahawks really lack depth, and have also had their non-elite starter talent pilfered off the roster for a couple years now. They're at a place where I think an above average starter in the trenches (on either side) is more important to them than a high-risk/high-reward guy like Jaylon. The Seahawks should be trying to get out of the first run hitting a double, not swinging for a home run with a high chance of striking out.

That said, I'm not the Hawks' GM, and JS/PC seem to have a bit of a pernicious "smartest guy in the room" streak when it comes to their drafting, and this would definitely fit that schtick.

Basis4day

Reaction score
seabowl":3rowo2ea said:

Thoughts?

I don't think you can justify a 1st rd pick on a guy with an injury like that. A later rd flyer is a different matter.
The FO has done pretty well at finding LB talent. O-Line is another matter.

They need someone with that pick who can take a starting role right away (after brief competition of course).

TwilightError

Reaction score
A lineman. O or D, whichever has the best talent available.

If it's some other position, it's a bit of a disappointment.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
They're going to go pass rushing DT or trade down IMO. I do believe they'll draft several interior o-linemen and/or one T prospect, just not in round 1.