What position would you take with our 1st round pick?

What position would you take with our 1st round pick?

• Offensive Tackle

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Offensive Guard

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Defensive Tackle

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Corner

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Safety

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wide Receiver

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Running Back

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Best Player Available (outside of QB)

Votes: 57 33.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

Cartire

Reaction score
Using a 1st round pick to actually draft a player in the first round goes against everything JS stands for. Were falling back or trading for a high-profile player that is sure to at least make 2 games this season.

McGruff

Reaction score
Interior lineman, either offense or defense, pass rusher or running back.

Atradees

Reaction score
nrayorr":1abra5cr said:
Atradees":1abra5cr said:
Will scream at tv if we dont go Olineman

So will I. I like that Conklin guy out of Michigan State, but I just don't know if he'll be available by pick 26.

I am startin to like the thought of Le'Raven Clark. Seems like a heady kid. Looong arms. Yeah.

Twenty six might be a tad early for Clark. We may be able to trade down and still get him.

Olson: Do you think you found those hobbies as kind of a peaceful escape?

Clark: For sure, it’s peaceful and nice to get away from the struggles of life, I guess. I don’t party or go out or anything. Usually hunting or fishing is where I’m at. Hanging out in the woods somewhere. Just trying to get away.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/97824/qa-texas-tech-ot-leraven-clark

A reveiw from Em Diggy!

[youtube]gKXTmrniJ6I[/youtube]

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well if Clark likes hunting and fishing, this is the place for him.

I went BPA, as I think the OT and DT talent at the bottom of the 1st will be deep. I mean, if you really held a gun to my head, I'd go OT and then 3 tech DT but only because I think that the value at OT will be a bit better. I think there will be a run on pass rushers in the first, and then we can get whoever we want in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd in that second tier.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":ym9lu939 said:
The draft is kind of like relationships.

If you go into it needy, you're going to fail. You'll make poor choices and inevitably miss out on better prospects through impatience and desperation.

So it's your belief that there isn't a high quality O-Lineman in this Draft?
And what if the BP on your list is gone by the time you make your selection.
There's a possibility that we luck out and get the BPA and one of our biggest need (Offensive Lineman) and kill two birds with one stone with our first pick, as there's no guarantee that whomever is picked first will become a surefire hit.
I think it's just as possible that they have a win/win with a player of need....No such thing as fool-proof.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
For me if there is a top teir CB available that fits our LOB mold that would be my choice.

We all saw last year what happens without talent across from Sherman. I am excited we re-signed Lane and he's been one of my favorite non-superstar seahawks since he came into the league; if you search my post history you'll know I was on board with him from the time I saw him loving the game so much he was starting fights with golden tate in practice just trying to compete as much as possible. However picking up another superstar CB would really shore up what was a huge defensive weakness for us last year.

Jalen Ramsey will be long gone but if Eli Apple is available, I would take him all day every day. Rashard Robinson out of LSU could be another good fit and might be available in round 2 or 3 or later. I also like Cyrus Jones out of Alabama even though he is a little smaller than our usual prototype LOB CB. Deiondre' Hall could also be another late round guy with size and arm length.

Eli Apple
6'1", 199 LBS, 4.4 40, 31 3/8" arm length
compared to: Trumaine Johnson
Projected Round: Late 1 / Early 2

Rashard Robinson
6'1", 179 LBS, 4.49 40, 32 1/4" arm length
compared to: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Projected Round: Late 3 / Early 4

Cyrus Jones
5'10", 197 LBS, 4.49 40, 32 3/8 arm length
compared to: Steven Nelson
Projected Round: 4-5

Diondre' Hall
6'2", 199 LBS, 4.68 40, 34 3/8 arm length
compared to: Trumaine Johnson
Projected Round: Late 3 / Early 4

Rocket

Reaction score
Subzero717":lvd60yl1 said:
TheRealDTM":lvd60yl1 said:
City Of Reign":lvd60yl1 said:
Rob Nkemdiche :snack:

If Nkemdiche is available and we don't take him I will riot.
Burn this mother down.
What does a three man riot look like?

We might get an OT, but for the most part Pete/John bought in toTom's scheme... learn to live with the DT Hybrid O-line with a possibly drafted OT. Really. Ain't worth a riot, guys.

I predict RB or WR.

two dog

Reaction score
Trade down 6-7 spots, get another 5th rounder, pick the best center available and start
to build your offensive line from there.

This will never happen as long as Tom Cable is here. He views every college lineman as
a project to be re-trained to his specs. Unfortunately, that takes some time similar to the
way our cornerbacks have to learn the Seahawk method.

I'm not advocating for Tom Cable's departure. He seems to get good results given the
lo-ball approach the team takes with respect to their offensive line. It's just a little frustrating
to see linemen we could have had go elsewhere and play well. All because the Seahawks
don't seem to value them as much as others who do not feel the need to completely
re-make them.

After all that I voted for defensive line. Interior pass rush is a big need as well as depth of
rotation. Those guys seem to go fast so you need a plan B,C, and D. We also have need for
a running back, SAM backer, additional edge rush, maybe a QB to be mentored, some
offensive linemen and some more offensive linemen.

rideaducati

Reaction score
My position would be to take the highest player rated on my board that is left where I would be picking...unless, of course, some other team offered what I consider to be a good deal... That is the position I would take.

two dog

Reaction score
rideaducati":31e6hyd7 said:
My position would be to take the highest player rated on my board that is left where I would be picking...unless, of course, some other team offered what I consider to be a good deal... That is the position I would take.

There is entirely too much logic here for me. Good post.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Atradees":b11z7ieu said:
I would take the best center in the draft.

I like D line as is though....

No kidding! If Ryan Kelly is still available, Schneiz better jump.

Sent from my SC-04F using Tapatalk

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2rj5yn1f said:
Atradees":2rj5yn1f said:
I would take the best center in the draft.

I like D line as is though....

You should probably practice getting your scream on. We're set up to go BPA, whichever player they think that is.
All- pro projections for Kelly from multiple sources.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Schadie001":2n0d3mbw said:
Funny how we have only been to no less than 2 superbowls under PC/JS and we don't draft what the "experts" or fans think we should every year but still many on here can't get with the program or see the light. These guys draft who THEY believe will fit into our system not the bpa as ranked by the kipers of the world. Our first pick will either a traded away because they don't value the guy they want in the first round, or it will be a guy who everyone else says should go in the later rounds will be a reach that everyone here and the media hates and the guy will make the probowl in his second year. Just saying.... You can expect the unexpected with these guys. We'll get an F from Kiper and he'll have to change it to an A in two years. I'll be happy with whoever we pick because this FO has proven they know what they want when they want it and those guys produce.
In the end, our QB is not indestructable. The concern is real.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I am starting to like the trading down scenario. As long as we don't drop more than ten spots, the talent will be similar. It's all a role of the dice on these guys anyway.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Now that we are close to the draft I think that we:

Trade down
Take a center (hopefully)
Do not take a DT with first pick

Largent80

Reaction score
City Of Reign":1xi8e6us said:
Rob Nkemdiche :snack:

NO....this guy isn't even on a lot of people's boards. He has tons of other issues that haven't even been reported, which I heard in a podcast in the draft forum. May even go UDFA.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Heard this morning that the general public doesn't know the half of it in regards to Nkemdiche.

Willyeye

Reaction score
I gotta say O-Line.

However, I don't think our need there is as great as most 12's think.

Look at 2014...one of our linemen was James Carpenter. He pretty much sucked in 2014. In 2015, he leaves the Hawks and suddenly he's one of the best Guards in the NFL. WHY? Because blocking for Russell is not as easy as we all think. Cable has his work cut out for him trying to protect Russell. Perhaps in the past, Bevell and Cable weren't really on the same page. There were flashes in the second half of last season where Russell made things a lot easier for the O-Line...but I guess that's on Bevell.

That is the dilemma the Hawks find themselves in. Just drafting Ryan Kelly, Jason Spriggs, Connor McGovern, Taylor Decker, Germain Ifedi and Ronnie Stanley won't necessarily CURE the pass pro issue...even if we draft all of them this year. Even the best blockers in the NFL can't win every battle if they last 20 seconds.

We need a compromise...Bevell needs to use more plays where Russell can do the quick release, like late last season. Also, we need to improve the level of pass protection. Getting 3 OL guys earlier in the draft would definitely be a step in the right direction. Because Cable likes his projects, maybe they just need to start drafting these project guys 2 years early, so that by the time we need them, they'll be ready.

The problem really isn't necessarily the guys they drafted last year, it's the lack of O-Line draftees from 2012 to 2014. In 2012, they drafted one DT project (Sweezy) in the 7th round...not even one real O-Line guy. In 2013, they drafted another 7th round DT project (Jared Smith), a "guard" in the 7th round (Seymour), and a "tackle" with their last pick in the 7th round (Bowie). That's FOUR 7th round picks spent on O-Line in 2 drafts. Were they really expecting any level of success by these guys?

By 2014, after essentially neglecting the O-Line for 2 years, they became desperate. Out of desperation, they picked a 5th round Guard in the 2nd round...that's not a good strategy...just because you draft a 5th round lineman in the 2nd round doesn't really mean he'd be a good pick. And then of course they spent a 6th round pick on the unluckiest prospect in the 2014 draft (Scott).

Refardless of whether or not it will be the key to success for the offensive line, I'm hoping they at least give a couple of high pick linemen a shot. What they've done up until now is not working well. Change things up a little. Try a little bit of a new strategy.