• Sometime this week.

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Sometime next week.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • By the third preseason game.

Votes: 61 22.5%
  • By the final preseason game.

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • The week leading up to the first regular season game.

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • Sometime after the first regular season game.

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • He will hold out well into the season.

Votes: 53 19.6%

• Total voters

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2x3erdgn said:
Man, if Bailey continues to come on strong it's not unthinkable to see Kam get traded to a team like ATL

:lol:

ringless

Reaction score
I honestly believe he is just trying to get healthy and pass skip his piss test :p

I believe he wont miss a game. But I wonder with a player of his caliber how much missed practices truly hurts him or the team. I feel someone like him, with the players he has played alongside can almost jump in in week 1 like nothing ever happened.

two dog

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":34g6tzyu said:
onanygivensunday":34g6tzyu said:
Why do you say that Seattle can't trade him? They sure as hell can.

And it makes no sense to cut him... they can... but they would lose the rights to him... so it makes no sense to do that.

And they CAN fine him... but I'm guessing that they won't.

You are right, they can trade him, and it won't even be as bad as trading Percy Harvin since Kam only has 3m dead money. It would hardly be a beneficial trade though and definitely a bad example.

So if the seahawks do not benefit from trading, cutting or fining Kam why do people say that he has no leverage? Why doesn't every player who is earning less than his market value hold out?

The ironic thing about power or "leverage" is that once you use it, you lose it. The threat of a strike
by a labor union represents leverage. Once they strike their leverage is lost. Same thing here.
All Kam can do is deny the team his services. There is no compelling reason for the team to tear up a
contract with three years remaining.

If I understand it correctly, his salary guarantees have been fulfilled so if he doesn't play, he doesn't
earn. I think I can see where this is going and it doesn't involve a trade or a cut.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Just curious but is there any chance this holdout has to do with PEDs or the wacky weed? I suspect not as I think he can be tested even if he is holding out, but honestly that is the only reason I can see to hold out at this point. Or maybe he just wants to give his MCL a little more time, but he was here for mini-camps so that's probably not the issue. Also, since I'm venting, who the heck decides two days (or whatever it was) before training camp that you're going to hold out and ask for more money? He needs to get a new agent. That stuff should have been getting discussed all offseason.

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkGA":xtdczmkx said:
Just curious but is there any chance this holdout has to do with PEDs or the wacky weed? I suspect not as I think he can be tested even if he is holding out, but honestly that is the only reason I can see to hold out at this point. Or maybe he just wants to give his MCL a little more time, but he was here for mini-camps so that's probably not the issue. Also, since I'm venting, who the heck decides two days (or whatever it was) before training camp that you're going to hold out and ask for more money? He needs to get a new agent. That stuff should have been getting discussed all offseason.

Assuming he has no prior positive tests for substances of abuse (in other word, drugs), then the last day he could be tested was last Sunday. So no, I don't think that's it. I don't know the specifics of the PED policy but that doesn't sound likely either.

It really can be as simple as Kam wanting more money. It really can. Whether it's a strong position to have is clearly open to debate.

Rob12

Reaction score
Three years left on his deal, coming off of a pretty significant injury in the SB, and the market for the position has not changed.

This is getting annoying. This is probably the best Seahawks team ever and this team has a very good chance to do huge things this year, and Kam is choosing to not be a part of it.

I hope when he reports the Seahawks hand him a hefty bill with his fines.

Enough is enough with this stuff.

Rocket

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":1fu296yw said:
I am trying to understand things here. People keep saying that he has no leverage, is that really the case? The seahawks can not trade him, they can not cut him and they can't fine him too much money.
I believe that Schneider has shown that he can trade or cut just about anyone and the fine situation, a contract issue, is documented above.

He'll be back for the last pre-season game but probably plays jut one or two sets of downs.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
two dog":2gubtfrd said:
If I understand it correctly, his salary guarantees have been fulfilled so if he doesn't play, he doesn't
earn. I think I can see where this is going and it doesn't involve a trade or a cut.
Not true... Kam's 2015 salary of $4.45M is fully guaranteed... but right now he's on the "Reserve/Did Not Report" list.

And if he's still there on Sunday, September 13th, he will not be paid the $261,764.70 he would otherwise collect if he were not holding out.

Kam has no leverage. The longer he holds out the more foolish he looks.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
He was saying he was having the best off-season of his career before the holdout. He seemed primed for a career year, so it's unfortunate that he is impeding his own progress by missing practices and not getting in a groove with the rest of the defense.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I appreciate Kam wanting to get more money guaranteed, since after this season he is, in effect, playing at significant risk if he gets injured. Wanting to get more security is perfectly reasonable as far as I'm concerned.

HOWEVER, it is his agent's problem to work that out, and the only thing John should promise is to negotiate another extension next season when there's only one year left on the deal. I don't think that is uncommon at all and it won't set a nasty precedent.

Basis4day

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":26r6rcfm said:
two dog":26r6rcfm said:
Not true... Kam's 2015 salary of $4.45M is fully guaranteed... but right now he's on the "Reserve/Did Not Report" list.

And if he's still there on Sunday, September 13th, he will not be paid the $261,764.70 he would otherwise collect if he were not holding out.

Unless of course the Defense falls off a cliff without him in real games ala the Dallas Cowboys in 1993 when the Cowboys started 0-2 while Emmitt Smith held out.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1vrbww83 said:
I appreciate Kam wanting to get more money guaranteed, since after this season he is, in effect, playing at significant risk if he gets injured. Wanting to get more security is perfectly reasonable as far as I'm concerned.

HOWEVER, it is his agent's problem to work that out, and the only thing John should promise is to negotiate another extension next season when there's only one year left on the deal. I don't think that is uncommon at all and it won't set a nasty precedent.

Kam signed a five year deal before the 2013 season, so he won't have one year left until after the 2016 season is over. I assume that if he doesn't get any concessions this year then it's almost guaranteed that he holds out next summer. I hate to say it, but maybe we should think about moving on from him.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Basis4day":2hffj9bh said:
onanygivensunday":2hffj9bh said:
two dog":2hffj9bh said:

Unless of course the Defense falls off a cliff without him in real games ala the Dallas Cowboys in 1993 when the Cowboys started 0-2 while Emmitt Smith held out.
Hypothetically that's true... but realistically, it isn't.

Kam's a great player but there's 10 other guys on defense that all contribute to it being the best in the league.

Emmitt was an exception. He was the pivotal to their offense at the time.

Basis4day

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":72faci8n said:
Basis4day":72faci8n said:
onanygivensunday":72faci8n said:
two dog":72faci8n said:

Hypothetically that's true... but realistically, it isn't.

Kam's a great player but there's 10 other guys on defense that all contribute to it being the best in the league.

Emmitt was an exception. He was the pivotal to their offense at the time.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but i am doing a bit of devil's advocate here with my Emmitt Smith comp.

At the very least we're at a bit of a standstill and the scale of which side has the most leverage won't change until real games start since teams usually forgive fines in these situations.

While all defensive players contribute it's hard for me to say that Kam isn't a very important piece. The D looked a lot different last year when he was dealing with his bone spurs.

It's tough to say which members of the defense make it click. I do think most people would agree that Earl a lynchpin. His availability is still a question mark and if he isn't ready to go week one and Kam is still holding out then this defense could look very different very quickly. That increases Kam's leverage since he is healthy enough to play.

On the other hand, if the Defense holds up and Earl can play than that removes all leverage Kam would have left.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":3b2iq0nd said:
MysterMatt":3b2iq0nd said:

Kam signed a five year deal before the 2013 season, so he won't have one year left until after the 2016 season is over. I assume that if he doesn't get any concessions this year then it's almost guaranteed that he holds out next summer. I hate to say it, but maybe we should think about moving on from him.
Oh. I thought it was a 4 year deal. Poop.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":28w9r9dn said:
Once he starts missing games checks his ass will be back pronto! I hope the team does not cave.

I am with you Capt. I hope they dont reward him for not showing up. Fines are fines...dammit.

northseahawk

Reaction score
I agree.. better not pay him more nor pardon his fines. or else there will be a line of holdout players next year as well.

Rob12

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2xxhgbst said:

I'm usually with you on that but I don't appreciate his current actions when you look at the fact that the market hasn't changed, and he has three years left on his deal.

This is the price of having an elite roster, but the reality is PCJS need to stick to their guns on this one.