Who don't you want?

getnasty

Reaction score
Out of all the names being floated who's the one guy you don’t want to become HC?

Rat

Reaction score
Among the realistic candidates, I don't see one on there that would have me more upset than I was when we hired Pete. Time will tell if I learned my lesson.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Dan Quinn is the main name that sicks out to me. Quinn's defense shutout bad teams, but was heavily exploited by good offenses. He was a milquetoast head coach in Atlanta, not good, not bad, just very underwhelming once Shanahan moved on. His defenses got worse each year and in Dallas he's not risen to the occasion against good teams.

I feel like we'd be subbing Pete for a worse version of Pete at this point. I'd prefer virtually everyone that we've interviewed to Quinn. If we're going defense give me the Raven's DC. Immediately when he came into Baltimore, there was a shift on that defense.

Last edited:

CPHawk

Reaction score
Just give Lincoln Riley the HC job. And pay Evero whatever it takes to get him as DC.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Really surprised Hairball wasn't the 1st name out of everybody's mouth with quinn a distanced 2nd
I don't think JS would hire john so vrabel just doesn't seem like the guy to me either

vtxretro02

Reaction score
We all know who it wont be.. I have a feeling It will be Jacobson or Slowik!

GemCity

Reaction score
Really surprised Hairball wasn't the 1st name out of everybody's mouth with quinn a distanced 2nd
I don't think JS would hire john so vrabel just doesn't seem like the guy to me either
I think the term “realistic” caused folks to avoid mentioning Harbaugh.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You know, I don't get the Quinn hate.

He's not my preferred hire. I'll get that out of the way pronto before going further. But I can't write him off as a joke hire, either.

He's a guy who consistently coaches good to great defenses, and he did make a Super Bowl pretty quickly for a fairly cursed franchise in Atlanta. And that was his first stop as HC. Shanahan had a big hand in that SB loss by unconscionably passing way too much with a massive lead, but he's a worthwhile coach regardless of that collapse. Quinn is a worthwhile candidate despite his collapses as well.

The playoff game was pretty bad, but I'm not willing to write him off as a poor coach for that playoff game alone when everyone else shat the bed as well on the team. Overall, Quinn has a pretty undeniable record as an elevator of talent on his units, and that's a big credit. His guys love him, and that's a big credit too.

If Quinn is hired, there's upside there. Coaches develop just like players do. I'm not gonna be sad if they do go with Quinn. I'll be happy with the possible upside, I'll be happy that we have a link to the best team we'll ever watch in the LOB teams, and I'll be watching keenly to see who he and Schneider hire for coordinator roles because he has a pretty good record in that department as well. Schneider has final say, sure, but he'll obviously go to his HC hire for input as to who they want to work with.

Kafka and Graham particularly would be pretty uninspired hires, but those feel like Possible Coordinator type interviews. I put Evero in that camp too. Good DC, for sure, but I don't really see head coach just yet.

Last edited:

rjdriver

Reaction score
Here's the best part.

Whomever we hire, if it doesn't work out....

We move on from them and find someone who does.

Pete was an anomaly. The chances of finding a ringleader that lasts 14 years is close to zero in todays NFL. Maybe we bring someone in who really fixes the defense in a year or two but just can't find a pulse offensively. We keep the DC and same defensive scheme and find someone who can put us over the top offensively.

I hope we hit the jackpot this time, but if we don't, it doesn't mean letting go of Pete was a bad decision.