Who don't you want?

Jac

Reaction score
It's encouraging that JS didn't fast track a Quinn hire. It seems like he's really taking his time to vet a cross-section of candidates. I didn't expect that.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
It's encouraging that JS didn't fast track a Quinn hire. It seems like he's really taking his time to vet a cross-section of candidates. I didn't expect that.
I did.

Schneider is very careful to not make his first move, his worst move, by quickly hiring a person he knows and a system he knows that hasn’t worked.

Quinn, doesn’t win the big game.

His defense seems to collapse during big games.

Not exactly the preferred mold for your new head coach to follow.

I’ll pass on Quinn.

Jac

Reaction score
I did.

Schneider is very careful to not make his first move, his worst move, by quickly hiring a person he knows and a system he knows that hasn’t worked.

Quinn, doesn’t win the big game.

His defense seems to collapse during big games.

Not exactly the preferred mold for your new head coach to follow.
Yeah, maybe I've become jaded by the ill-conceived trades over the years. Many of them felt knee-jerk without much thought as to fit or compensation.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I've become jaded by the ill-conceived trades over the years. Many of them felt knee-jerk without much thought as to fit or compensation.
I literally think the trades was part of the reason Carroll was let go.

Jody Allen may have been led to believe that Schneider was not the person leading the expedition for these trades that haven’t paid any dues, yet, was paid out for not much in return. See what I did there??

I’ve always thought Carroll had a huge part in wishing to trade for such and such and possibly Jody Allen thought the same and has give Schneider his opportunity to not have any “scapegoats” himself now as he is the one in charge now.

All decisions from here on out is all on Schneider and he will be judged upon “his” decisions now.

If I’m Schneider, I’m leaving no stones unturned now.

Now, it’s the start of the John Schneider era and all moves will be Schneider’s and Schneider will NOT have any scapegoats if things don’t go well.

This situation with Carroll is unique cause usually when a HC is dismissed, the GM, also is dismissed as well—cause they largely go hand in hand but since Carroll controlled all the chess pieces before, Allen, was willing to give Schneider is shot at it now and let’s see how Schneider plays his pieces he will move on his own….

All in all, it was a brilliant move by Jody Allen to see if Schneider will succeed or not. And Schneider will not have anyone to take the blame.

Reactions: Jac

Jac

Reaction score
I literally think the trades was part of the reason Carroll was let go.

Jody Allen may have been led to believe that Schneider was not the person leading the expedition for these trades that haven’t paid any dues, yet, was paid out for not much in return. See what I did there??

I’ve always thought Carroll had a huge part in wishing to trade for such and such and possibly Jody Allen thought the same and has give Schneider his opportunity to not have any “scapegoats” himself now as he is the one in charge now.

All decisions from here on out is all on Schneider and he will be judged upon “his” decisions now.

If I’m Schneider, I’m leaving no stones unturned now.

Now, it’s the start of the John Schneider era and all moves will be Schneider’s and Schneider will NOT have any scapegoats if things don’t go well.

This situation with Carroll is unique cause usually when a HC is dismissed, the GM, also is dismissed as well—cause they largely go hand in hand but since Carroll controlled all the chess pieces before, Allen, was willing to give Schneider is shot at it now and let’s see how Schneider plays his pieces he will move on his own….

All in all, it was a brilliant move by Jody Allen to see if Schneider will succeed or not. And Schneider will not have anyone to take the blame.
In another thread, I've likened this to the executive version of the Russell Wilson trade. Schneider is at a crossroads now that he's in the GM spotlight all by himself. If he modernizes and improves the team (through the new HC and a better approach to roster building), then the impression will be that Carroll was holding the team back with respect to roster building over the past number of years. If the team sinks to a perennial loser, well...then all of the Seahawks success was mostly Carroll. Right now, there's this nebulous middle-ground as to who made all these terrible trades and let the roster decay from the SB years.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
In another thread, I've likened this to the executive version of the Russell Wilson trade. Schneider is at a crossroads now that he's in the GM spotlight all by himself. If he modernizes and improves the team (through the new HC and a better approach to roster building), then the impression will be that Carroll was holding the team back with respect to roster building over the past number of years. If the team sinks to a perennial loser, well...then all of the Seahawks success was mostly Carroll. Right now, there's this nebulous middle-ground as to who made all these terrible trades and let the roster decay from the SB years.
***standing ovation****

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't want anyone who isn't named Jim Harbaugh.

It doesn't *have* to be THE Jim Harbaugh who's currently the head coach of Michigan and ex-coach of the 49ers, but just somebody named Jim Harbaugh.

All I'm asking is that they interview Jim Harbaugh from Michigan and two other guys named Jim Harbaugh, consider their resumes, and then offer whichever one of them is the most qualified for a head coaching job in the NFL.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Harbaugh. But he's not getting it, so I'm sleeping easy at night.

So far, the Hawks have expressed interest in or have been linked to 9 candidates:

1. Ben Johnson, Lions OC. 2. Frank Smith, Dolphins OC. 3. Mike Vrabel, former Titans HC. 4. Patrick Graham, Raiders DC. 5. Bobby Slowick, Texans OC. 6. Raheem Morris, Rams DC. 7. Dan Quinn, Cowboys DC. 8. Mike Kafka, Giants OC. 9. Ejiro Evero, Panthers DC.

My favorite would be Ben Johnson with Frank Smith being 2nd. I would be OK with Vrable, but I'd really like to see us give it to a young offensive coordinator.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
If you have a 'leave no stone unturned' approach you'll look at candidates that will take you backwards rather than forwards. Seattle needs a younger HC.

Marvin Lewis though? Did you forget about his Bengals tenure? No thanks.

Rosco

Reaction score
You know, I don't get the Quinn hate.

He's not my preferred hire. I'll get that out of the way pronto before going further. But I can't write him off as a joke hire, either.

He's a guy who consistently coaches good to great defenses, and he did make a Super Bowl pretty quickly for a fairly cursed franchise in Atlanta. And that was his first stop as HC. Shanahan had a big hand in that SB loss by unconscionably passing way too much with a massive lead, but he's a worthwhile coach regardless of that collapse. Quinn is a worthwhile candidate despite his collapses as well.

The playoff game was pretty bad, but I'm not willing to write him off as a poor coach for that playoff game alone when everyone else shat the bed as well on the team. Overall, Quinn has a pretty undeniable record as an elevator of talent on his units, and that's a big credit. His guys love him, and that's a big credit too.

If Quinn is hired, there's upside there. Coaches develop just like players do. I'm not gonna be sad if they do go with Quinn. I'll be happy with the possible upside, I'll be happy that we have a link to the best team we'll ever watch in the LOB teams, and I'll be watching keenly to see who he and Schneider hire for coordinator roles because he has a pretty good record in that department as well. Schneider has final say, sure, but he'll obviously go to his HC hire for input as to who they want to work with.

Kafka and Graham particularly would be pretty uninspired hires, but those feel like Possible Coordinator type interviews. I put Evero in that camp too. Good DC, for sure, but I don't really see head coach just yet.
Dan Quinn at any point in the SB could have done his job and told Shanahan to run the ball. Better yet, he could have done what he was supposedly good at and made adjustments on defense so that Patriots didn’t make a comeback. They were up 28-3 cause of Shanahan. Shanahan is largely the reason for their SB appearance.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Everyone knows if Quinn gets hired Pete will still be the puppetmaster in his advisor position...ok maybe not but it's something that would get posted here after one loss...

Don't want..

Vrabel..imo highly overrated
Slowik..due to experience
Kafka...I couldn't look at that forehead for 3 years
Moore...guy sucks
Morris..seems like a filler type hire
Harbaugh...only because he doesn't want to coach here anyway..

Lukewarm on Quinn...he better have a helluva oc. Dave Canales as well but higher on him than Quinn.

Johnson would be an intriguing hc..a real change from the current landscape but imo going to the skins.

My money is still on Quinn and all these interviews are mere formality.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Dan Quinn at any point in the SB could have done his job and told Shanahan to run the ball. Better yet, he could have done what he was supposedly good at and made adjustments on defense so that Patriots didn’t make a comeback. They were up 28-3 cause of Shanahan. Shanahan is largely the reason for their SB appearance.
Falcons had a really good team minus Ryan who even then passed as a Cousin'sh type guy. They had Coleman and Freeman at rb which was probably one of the better rb duos in the league at that time. All they had to do is run the ball and eat clock but they chose to throw...why??? That collapse has more to do with what the Falcobs coached on offense than the Patriots epic comeback. Shanny looked like trash but just like Pete in sb49...Quinn should have taken control and said change this.Quinn being involved in the two biggest blunder games in sb history will always follow him.

Wheetie

Reaction score
Really don't want Quinn or Vrabel. Both those guys seem like musty old sock picks to me. (Couldn't think of a better analogy)

I'd really like to see a young, fresh guy like Johnson come in and revolutionize the offense, and bring a strong DC with him. Like I've said before, being around Dan Campbell's influence and culture would help all aspects of the team moving forward.

Last edited:

Rosco

Reaction score
Falcons had a really good team minus Ryan who even then passed as a Cousin'sh type guy. They had Coleman and Freeman at rb which was probably one of the better rb duos in the league at that time. All they had to do is run the ball and eat clock but they chose to throw...why??? That collapse has more to do with what the Falcobs coached on offense than the Patriots epic comeback. Shanny looked like trash but just like Pete in sb49...Quinn should have taken control and said change this.Quinn being involved in the two biggest blunder games in sb history will always follow him.
it’s a shame. Kyle became a HC and Quinn got fired a year later.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Hey, man. People don't want the head coach to "meddle," I heard. No right to tell the OC what to do.