Who don't you want?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Here's the best part.

Whomever we hire, if it doesn't work out....

We move on from them and find someone who does.

Pete was an anomaly. The chances of finding a ringleader that lasts 14 years is close to zero in todays NFL. Maybe we bring someone in who really fixes the defense in a year or two but just can't find a pulse offensively. We keep the DC and same defensive scheme and find someone who can put us over the top offensively.

I hope we hit the jackpot this time, but if we don't, it doesn't mean letting go of Pete was a bad decision.
It's been a long, long time since we've had to actually consider this type of thing, which is the reality for the majority of teams in the NFL.

There's upside and downside everywhere right now. It's all potential. This is why I may have preferred candidates, but at the end of the day, I just want someone John is comfortable working with. That's the big thing right now.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Quinn. In a week’s time you have a coach stating he plans on coaching the next year to only remove him. If really wanting to move on why hire from same coaching tree? Makes zero sense.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
You know, I don't get the Quinn hate.

He's not my preferred hire. I'll get that out of the way pronto before going further. But I can't write him off as a joke hire, either.

He's a guy who consistently coaches good to great defenses, and he did make a Super Bowl pretty quickly for a fairly cursed franchise in Atlanta. And that was his first stop as HC. Shanahan had a big hand in that SB loss by unconscionably passing way too much with a massive lead, but he's a worthwhile coach regardless of that collapse. Quinn is a worthwhile candidate despite his collapses as well.

The playoff game was pretty bad, but I'm not willing to write him off as a poor coach for that playoff game alone when everyone else shat the bed as well on the team. Overall, Quinn has a pretty undeniable record as an elevator of talent on his units, and that's a big credit. His guys love him, and that's a big credit too.

If Quinn is hired, there's upside there. Coaches develop just like players do. I'm not gonna be sad if they do go with Quinn. I'll be happy with the possible upside, I'll be happy that we have a link to the best team we'll ever watch in the LOB teams, and I'll be watching keenly to see who he and Schneider hire for coordinator roles because he has a pretty good record in that department as well. Schneider has final say, sure, but he'll obviously go to his HC hire for input as to who they want to work with.

Kafka and Graham particularly would be pretty uninspired hires, but those feel like Possible Coordinator type interviews. I put Evero in that camp too. Good DC, for sure, but I don't really see head coach just yet.
I'm not sure what you're quantifying as hate here. If it's simply "we don't want him" then I think there are a lot of justifiable reasons for that. Is he a bad coach? No. Is he the best coach for OUR team? No. Many of us have seen what he's done here and elsewhere and realize we can do better.

WarHawks

Reaction score

As we move into the unknown, I'm certain it needs to be someone without huge floppy feet. That would be bad.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I really don’t want Harbaugh but let’s be real here, you can’t truly know how any of them will do here. Pete had a poor track record as an NFL head coach before coming here. If we went by that and didn’t bring him on we’d all have missed out on a lot of good/great things. I’m willing to just sit back and see what happens this time around.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're quantifying as hate here. If it's simply "we don't want him" then I think there are a lot of justifiable reasons for that. Is he a bad coach? No. Is he the best coach for OUR team? No. Many of us have seen what he's done here and elsewhere and realize we can do better.
Alright. I guess I should say "hate for Quinn's candidacy" as to avoid.. uh, this.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Here's the best part.

Whomever we hire, if it doesn't work out....

We move on from them and find someone who does.

Pete was an anomaly. The chances of finding a ringleader that lasts 14 years is close to zero in todays NFL. Maybe we bring someone in who really fixes the defense in a year or two but just can't find a pulse offensively. We keep the DC and same defensive scheme and find someone who can put us over the top offensively.

I hope we hit the jackpot this time, but if we don't, it doesn't mean letting go of Pete was a bad decision.
We had Holmgren for a decade also. It’s not a total anomaly

Ozzy

Reaction score
Not really lol
I think it does seem that way looking at the posters.

I don't hate Quinn, I actually think he's a great dude its just the one hire that would honestly bum me out a little. I would be rooting for him and he has enough qaulities to do really well, I just don't feel great about it.

flv2

Reaction score
Brian Flores tops my list. Eric Bieniemy might be #2. Romeo Crennel and Marvin Lewis are on the list. Josh McDaniels and Nathaniel Hackett are other names to avoid. There's no chance of getting Sean Payton but i've never liked him either. No internal hire please.

Most of the current top candidates would probably do an ok job, but no-one is looking for a HC to do an ok job.

Good luck. It's not easy.

James in PA

Reaction score
I'm glad Mike "the fraud" Tomlin is staying in Pittsburgh. Yes, the "never finished with a losing record" thing is impressive, but that doesn't make him elite. Won 1 Owl a long time ago with Cowher leftovers. Lost another Owl to McCarthy of all coaches!

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Dont want:

DQ
Vrabel
Morris
Slowik

Do want:
Johnson
Johansson (yummy)
Evero
Macdonald
Harbaugh

Last edited:

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Brian Flores tops my list. Eric Bieniemy might be #2. Romeo Crennel and Marvin Lewis are on the list. Josh McDaniels and Nathaniel Hackett are other names to avoid. There's no chance of getting Sean Payton but i've never liked him either. No internal hire please.

Most of the current top candidates would probably do an ok job, but no-one is looking for a HC to do an ok job.

Good luck. It's not easy.
I swear like hell that I saw you post that you are a rams fan? Now it's gonna bug me all day because somehow I'm like 99% positive it was you. 🤣

Wait, your background art or whatever, when I click on your name (on mobile).. WTF?

flv2

Reaction score
I swear like hell that I saw you post that you are a rams fan? Now it's gonna bug me all day because somehow I'm like 99% positive it was you. 🤣

Wait, your background art or whatever, when I click on your name (on mobile).. WTF?
I believe my profile information is 'sufficiently accurate for poetry'. :)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think it does seem that way looking at the posters.

I don't hate Quinn, I actually think he's a great dude its just the one hire that would honestly bum me out a little. I would be rooting for him and he has enough qaulities to do really well, I just don't feel great about it.
I think those people more prone to wanting Quinn, sure, but Quinn was also one of the most desired replacements for those who wanted Pete to retire on his own accord and take an actual advisory role.

I dunno.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Really surprised Hairball wasn't the 1st name out of everybody's mouth with quinn a distanced 2nd
I don't think JS would hire john so vrabel just doesn't seem like the guy to me either

Outside of a personal vendetta, I would find not wanting harbaugh or at least considering him kind of odd. His track record speaks for itself.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think those people more prone to wanting Quinn, sure, but Quinn was also one of the most desired replacements for those who wanted Pete to retire on his own accord and take an actual advisory role.

I dunno.
Yeah its hard to corner this as its a moving target, to me it seems like most people in this forum who wanted Pete to stay seem to be the same people wanting Quinn as the coach. Nothing wrong with that of course and it makes sense on a few different levels. I think it definitely plays in to me NOT wanting Quinn as I thought it was time to move on.