Votes: 26 22.6%
  • Cut Sherman, keep Chancellor and Thomas

Votes: 86 74.8%
  • Cut Thomas, keep Chancellor and Sherman

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

JKent82

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't be cutting any of them, but Earl is the one we absolutely can't lose. Safeties with his speed are nearly impossible to find. Physical safeties can be found and Pete and company seem to be able to develop corners.

It's tough though, my view on Kam has really changed in the past year. I was honestly surprised when we resigned him, but he's elevated his game so much it'd be hard to let him go. Sherman might command one giant massive payday that just doesn't make sense to pay but he's so damn talented.

I guess in a vacuum Earl and Sherman if I had to pick two since they are the two most talented. From a cost perspective probably Earl and Kam, but I don't know.

plyka

Reaction score
I love all 3. But showing respect to this question, assuming that keeping all 3 is impossible, I'll answer it. Of course we all think that keeping all 3 at reasonable prices is the goal.

That said, looking at this team, I see a team which can churn out CBs like no one's business. Safety is another matter entirely, and that's why they selected Earl with a very high draft pick. Who are the backups to the safeties? The answer is a bunch of no bodies! How scared were you when Chance went down>? I was shitting my pants and celebrated with my friends like no one's business when he came back in. I think #35, Shead, was the backup. I've heard great things about Shead, but I was absolutely mortified when he couldn't even get positioned correctly, and Earl had to set him right each play.

CB is another matter. If Sherm goes down, and you have Thurmond/Maxwell/Lane/Simon or even Shead in there (is Simon really gone? I thought they were high on him?), I feel much more comfortable. In fact, Sherm did go down in the 4th quarter, and I didn't see much of a fall off. Of course there is a fall off, and a big fall off, but it's not as noticeable as if/when Earl/Chance go down.

The 2nd reason, which is just as big, is that Chance/Earl are actually cheaper than Sherm, because salaries are dependent on other teams in the NFL. Earl is the best safety in the NFL, but he is already making 5m per year. He will be moved up to 10-12m AT MOST. That's what premier safeties make --9-12m per year. The best CBs make 15m or higher. Chance is already here at a 5m per year contract for 3 more years. Give Earl 10m per year. That's 15m per year for both --you may have to pay that just for Sherm.

This team is great with Sherm, and he will be a massive loss, but it won't be the end of the world. Hopefully, the LOB will still be the LOB if the worse comes to pass and Sherm leaves. I think it is an impossibility that Chance/Earl are gone in the coming few year.s

My guess is that this team does let Sherm walk. You have to make up that money somewhere, and Sherm will ask for what he is worth which is in the 15m ball park. I think they let him walk, and I don't think it's the end of the world. I hope he feels content with 10m per year, but I just don't think so.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
plyka":3q94p2hp said:
I love all 3. But showing respect to this question, assuming that keeping all 3 is impossible, I'll answer it. Of course we all think that keeping all 3 at reasonable prices is the goal.

That said, looking at this team, I see a team which can churn out CBs like no one's business. Safety is another matter entirely, and that's why they selected Earl with a very high draft pick. Who are the backups to the safeties? The answer is a bunch of no bodies! How scared were you when Chance went down>? I was shitting my pants and celebrated with my friends like no one's business when he came back in. I think #35, Shead, was the backup. I've heard great things about Shead, but I was absolutely mortified when he couldn't even get positioned correctly, and Earl had to set him right each play.

CB is another matter. If Sherm goes down, and you have Thurmond/Maxwell/Lane/Simon or even Shead in there (is Simon really gone? I thought they were high on him?), I feel much more comfortable. In fact, Sherm did go down in the 4th quarter, and I didn't see much of a fall off. Of course there is a fall off, and a big fall off, but it's not as noticeable as if/when Earl/Chance go down.

The 2nd reason, which is just as big, is that Chance/Earl are actually cheaper than Sherm, because salaries are dependent on other teams in the NFL. Earl is the best safety in the NFL, but he is already making 5m per year. He will be moved up to 10-12m AT MOST. That's what premier safeties make --9-12m per year. The best CBs make 15m or higher. Chance is already here at a 5m per year contract for 3 more years. Give Earl 10m per year. That's 15m per year for both --you may have to pay that just for Sherm.

This team is great with Sherm, and he will be a massive loss, but it won't be the end of the world. Hopefully, the LOB will still be the LOB if the worse comes to pass and Sherm leaves. I think it is an impossibility that Chance/Earl are gone in the coming few year.s

My guess is that this team does let Sherm walk. You have to make up that money somewhere, and Sherm will ask for what he is worth which is in the 15m ball park. I think they let him walk, and I don't think it's the end of the world. I hope he feels content with 10m per year, but I just don't think so.

great point on Thomas and Kam. While we may remember the name Revis, we dont count his Super Bowls (and MVPs) like we do Troy P and Ed Reed

Tical21

Reaction score
I am in the camp that doesn't see a way to keep all three and Wilson. You can only pay so many elite players to be one of the higest paid players at their position. Thinking about it, I actually picked Earl. I think they can find a super fast safety to cover. He probably can't pay the run like Earl, but I think covering is the most important.

Kam is the intimidator. There is no Legion of Boom without him. He may be the most valuable DB in the NFL.

I think Sherm takes away half the field and makes the job of the free safety endlessly easier. It is very rare that he needs any help.

Earl is my guy. His jersey is the only defensive player jersey I have. I just think the other two are a bit more irreplaceable for what we do.

TJH

Reaction score
I can tell you right now, there's no way Sherm becomes paid the way he wants here in Seattle. He either takes a massive discount to stay, or he walks. The latter is much more likely. If you actually look deeper into Pete and his philosophy his defense is predicated quite differently than most assume. He values pass rush above all. Bennett is going nowhere, and I would be shocked if we didn't try to bring in one more impact rusher.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
TJH":20d8g2h7 said:
I can tell you right now, there's no way Sherm becomes paid the way he wants here in Seattle. He either takes a massive discount to stay, or he walks. The latter is much more likely. If you actually look deeper into Pete and his philosophy his defense is predicated quite differently than most assume. He values pass rush above all. Bennett is going nowhere, and I would be shocked if we didn't try to bring in one more impact rusher.

Yeah, dump a 25 year old shutdown corner for a 29 year old DE/DT who probably isn't Top-15 at his position and plays 50% of the snaps. Makes all the sense in the world. Look, I love Michael Bennett and think there's a reasonable chance you retain both, but your post is non-sensical.

TJH

Reaction score
DavidSeven":ue6kzoqz said:
TJH":ue6kzoqz said:

Yeah, dump a 25 year old shutdown corner for a 29 year old DE/DT who probably isn't Top-15 at his position and plays 50% of the snaps. Makes all the sense in the world. Look, I love Michael Bennett and think there's a reasonable chance you retain both, but your post is non-sensical.

Bennett is absolutely a top 15, and likely top 3 for a 4-3 DE. He is extremely versitile. Playing 50% of the snaps is exactly what Pete wants, and lends even more creedence to my point of striving for pass rushers in numbers.

The bigger point which you seem to miss is you arent dumping one for another, you're dumping one for as many as ~5 other difference makers if Sherm truly wants to be paid at the top of the CB contracts. 15 million+ for a non-QB completely handcuffs the franchise.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
TJH":15x0q80b said:
DavidSeven":15x0q80b said:
TJH":15x0q80b said:

Bennett is absolutely a top 15, and likely top 3 for a 4-3 DE. He is extremely versitile. Playing 50% of the snaps is exactly what Pete wants, and lends even more creedence to my point of striving for pass rushers in numbers.

The bigger point which you seem to miss is you arent dumping one for another, you're dumping one for as many as ~5 other difference makers if Sherm truly wants to be paid at the top of the CB contracts. 15 million for a non-QB completely handcuffs the franchise.

First, he's not making that much. Second, $15 million of a $130 million cap is crippling?! Big deals for elite players doesn't cripple your franchise if you pay them to the RIGHT PLAYERS and avoid paying a bunch of mid-level deals to guys who can be easily replaced. It's the same thing the Patriots did for the past 12 years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TJH":19qpk31h said:

Pete's philosophy has been "you come here, you bust your ass, perform and we'll take care of you." See Kam.

Now we have a unique situation where both Earle and Sherm are 3-4 years younger than most of the top tier players at their position signed their big deals. Goldson just signed a 5 year 41 million deal (8.25 per year), but he's 28. Earle's only 24, so it's possible to sign him to a 7 or even 8 year deal in the 6-7 million per year range with more guaranteed money to make up for earning less than Goldson.

Same with Sherm. You don't have to break the bank like Revis at a horrible cap number like 16 million per year. Sherm's only 25, so give him a 4-6 year deal in the 10-12 year range, also with more guaranteed money.

Bottom line, longer contracts = longer to spread out the higher bonus guarantees = cap friendly in order to keep BOTH.

TJH

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2636ucpj said:
First, he's not making that much.

Revis's cap hit is $16 million/year. You're telling me, after 2 years of being obsessed with being better, he isn't going to ask for more?

formido

Reaction score
If any of them go, odds of winning a Super Bowl the following year drop drastically. For example, if Sherman left Seattle's passer rating differential would shrink by at least 15 points, meaning we probably don't win the division and every play-off game becomes a roll of the dice.

hawker84

Reaction score
TJH":3b839u1h said:

I think you're reaching a bit, no way seattle keeps Bennett over the best corner in the game, especially with the philosophy Pete wants.. I see Clems and Miller walking way before either of those two.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
TJH":15pu0fr6 said:
DavidSeven":15pu0fr6 said:
First, he's not making that much.

Revis's cap hit is $16 million/year. You're telling me, after 2 years of being obsessed with being better, he isn't going to ask for more?

He has zero guarantees in his contract and signed a NEW deal on a virtual open market. TB can cut him tomorrow at no cost. This isn't the contract that NFL players want. An extension comes at a discount because it removes RISK. If Sherm wants $15, he can wait a year and sign for no guarantees too. Good luck convincing a Stanford grad that's the prudent way to go.

TJH

Reaction score
hawker84":1zafbkai said:
I think you're reaching a bit, no way seattle keeps Bennett over the best corner in the game, especially with the philosophy Pete wants.. I see Clems and Miller walking way before either of those two.

Again, it's much more complex than just chosing Bennett over Sherman. It's chosing Bennett plus several players plus cap flexibility over Sherman.

Clemons and Miller are gone either way.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
TJH":11fwk3rq said:
hawker84":11fwk3rq said:

Again, it's much more complex than just chosing Bennett over Sherman. It's chosing Bennett plus several players plus cap flexibility over Sherman.

Clemons and Miller are gone either way.

"Several players." You're talking about a 3-5m disparity between the two at most. That's one average player. Sherman >>> Bennett + one avg. player.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
The poster is asking if you had to, not what you want to do.

Easy answer is Sherman in my eyes. He's the best in the league at his position but we have depth at CB, we'd be losing too much to see ET or Kam go. Maxwell is a top 10 CB in the league, easy.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Theres a large chunk of change that can be manipulated depending on how the Rice, Miller and Clemmons contracts play out.
Lynch won't be here forever. He has 3 million in dead money and 7 million cap number next year. One more year on his contract after that with 1 million in dead money and is owed 9 million.

Latest posts