• Cut Thomas, keep Chancellor and Sherman

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TJH":3pf17ddu said:
DavidSeven":3pf17ddu said:
First, he's not making that much.

Revis's cap hit is $16 million/year. You're telling me, after 2 years of being obsessed with being better, he isn't going to ask for more?

He will ask for more, but like I've said twice now we can give it to Sherm over a much longer contract period because he's only 25. Revis is basically on a perform or get cut year to year 16 million per year deal. Hell, Tampa could cut him right now if they wanted to. They won't, because then they waste the picks they traded for him.

But the point is we can give Sherm less per year over a longer period of time. All the players care about is guaranteed money, so don't get caught up in the per year salary, look at guaranteed money.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He's top 10 because Sherm literally shuts down one side of the field and allows Earl to cheat toward Max's side. The only position in our secondary that is fungible is the corner position that Maxwell occupies. Without at least one true shutdown corner, the entire system evaporates.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I"m with the @75% poll...Love Sherm but hey..Team comes before 1 player...He wants too much $$$
We can't have it all ways...NEXT HAWK UP!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
IndyHawk":idrw0wlc said:
I"m with the @75% poll...Love Sherm but hey..Team comes before 1 player...He wants too much $$$
We can't have it all ways...NEXT HAWK UP!

You must have been the one advising Ruskell that one left guard wasn't worth a big contract.

A team of good players is replaceable. Elite talent at a given position is not. That handful of elite players is what wins the championship year after year.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
DavidSeven":35asgp3t said:
He's top 10 because Sherm literally shuts down one side of the field and allows Earl to cheat toward Max's side. The only position in our secondary that is fungible is the corner position that Maxwell occupies. Without at least one true shutdown corner, the entire system evaporates.

Don't discredit what Maxwell's done please, he's an excellent cover corner, better than BB was and played excellent ball when he was in. What you're saying doesn't really even make sense so he wouldn't be as good if we didn't have Sherman? Makes no sense.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Honestly I don't find our teams situation very difficult, guys like Clemons and Miller will need to be cut to make room for the younger athletes, it is what it is. No hard feelings, but it's a business.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":22tv47v5 said:
DavidSeven":22tv47v5 said:

Don't discredit what Maxwell's done please, he's an excellent cover corner, better than BB was and played excellent ball when he was in. What your saying doesn't really even make sense so he wouldn't be as good if we didn't have Sherman? Makes no sense.

How does it not make sense? Every corner who has occupied Max's spot has played at a pro bowl level. The concept of Earl cheating toward that side because he doesn't have to worry about Sherm isn't that complicated. A couple months ago, everyone thought Thurmond was an elite CB and now no one thinks that since he moved exclusively to the slot.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Why are you saying we should cut Sherman?? He'd be getting pick-sixes if all the qbs in the NFL weren't afraid to throw at him. We keep Thomas and Sherman, the core of the LOB is intack.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Tempest_Crow":1zodohdf said:
Sarlac beat me to it. But jam is already ready under an extended contract. So it's a moot point. Besides he's the one man that gives everyone alligator arms and made Welker dive for the turf before he even turned his head!
Bam Bam had the hit on Damaryious Thomas going across the middle early in the SB that informed Denver what exactly they'd gotten into. YEah I'm totally onboard with--keep all three.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Earl = heart
Kam = brawn
Sherm = brain

Keep all three

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":6wg0nqi4 said:
DavidSeven":6wg0nqi4 said:

Don't discredit what Maxwell's done please, he's an excellent cover corner, better than BB was and played excellent ball when he was in. What you're saying doesn't really even make sense so he wouldn't be as good if we didn't have Sherman? Makes no sense.

Team sports are a collective effort, especially on our defense.

If you get rid of one important piece, it makes ALL the other pieces weaker. So saying that Maxwell would do just fine in Sherman's place is shortsighted because it means you have to find someone to fill Maxwell's spot, which lessens your depth, on and on your team gets weaker.

AND your statement doesn't even take into account Sherman's leadership on this team, which is ENORMOUS........and can't even really be quantified.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1uqmrszx said:
NFSeahawks628":1uqmrszx said:
DavidSeven":1uqmrszx said:

Don't discredit what Maxwell's done please, he's an excellent cover corner, better than BB was and played excellent ball when he was in. What your saying doesn't really even make sense so he wouldn't be as good if we didn't have Sherman? Makes no sense.

How does it not make sense? Every corner who has occupied Max's spot has played at a pro bowl level. The concept of Earl cheating toward that side because he doesn't have to worry about Sherm isn't that complicated. A couple months ago, everyone thought Thurmond was an elite CB and now no one thinks that since he moved exclusively to the slot.

I never thought Thurmond or Lane or even BB for that matter played as well as Maxwell has played. I understand the concept and it's accurate I just don't agree that is the actual reason why Maxwell is playing well.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2etsezoz said:
NFSeahawks628":2etsezoz said:
DavidSeven":2etsezoz said:

Team sports are a collective effort, especially on our defense.

If you get rid of one important piece, it makes ALL the other pieces weaker. So saying that Maxwell would do just fine in Sherman's place is shortsighted because it means you have to find someone to fill Maxwell's spot, which lessens your depth, on and on your team gets weaker.

AND your statement doesn't even take into account Sherman's leadership on this team, which is ENORMOUS........and can't even really be quantified.

The question was asked if you HAD to get rid of someone who would it be and why, I said Richard Sherman because of CB depth on the team, it doesn't mean I don't think he's the best CB, it's that his loss would have the least negative effect on the team, at least in my opinion. The guys that back up ET and Kam aren't the guys who back up and oppose Sherman.

Obviously, if given the opportunity to keep all three I would do it, but it's not the most practical idea in todays NFL.

Sherman's leadership on the team? Please... Sherman is a vocal leader, Kam and ET are leaders also in their own right in their own way, you don't have to talk to be a leader.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":vlgo5n0i said:
DavidSeven":vlgo5n0i said:
NFSeahawks628":vlgo5n0i said:
DavidSeven":vlgo5n0i said:

I never thought Thurmond or Lane or even BB for that matter played as well as Maxwell has played. I understand the concept and it's accurate I just don't agree that is the actual reason why Maxwell is playing well.

Don't get me wrong; Maxwell is a very good player. He has better technique than BB and better length than Thurmond. However, all three have excelled in that spot for a reason. Sherman has benefited from great coaching, but he's entered a world of his own. He has perfect length, size, and technique. He's mastered the intellectual side of the game -- he's shouting route concepts to his teammates. He's in a position where he can now transfer all of those skills to any team he plays on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2sthk0ex said:
Sherman's leadership on the team? Please... Sherman is a vocal leader, Kam and ET are leaders also in their own right in their own way, you don't have to talk to be a leader.

Were you and I watching the same team this year? He was both.

Every single person in that defensive backfield has said that they rely heavily on Sherman's advice on and off the field in film sessions.

kearly

Reaction score
I think they keep all three, even though it would be incredibly difficult, tougher than some seem to realize.

No way do you "cut" any of these three though. You could swing any of them for a first round pick. Maybe a first plus change for Sherman.

To answer the OP, I'd definitely say Sherman. Seattle has done a much better job with coaching up CBs and the safeties, so he'd be easier to replace without feeling a humungous dropoff. He would probably net more in a trade than either Kam or Earl. And his cap savings would be about as big as Kam and Earl combined.

This is why Sherman will be the last of the three to get his extension, even though he might be the best player of the bunch.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":119di2sa said:
NFSeahawks628":119di2sa said:

Were you and I watching the same team this year? He was both.

Every single person in that defensive backfield has said that they rely heavily on Sherman's advice on and off the field in film sessions.
When did I discredit Sherman's work ethic, or what he does for his teammates? Again theres more than one player on defense just like it took more than one player to win the super bowl.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Why not just give all three huge signing bonus and less per year? It all works out in the end right?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
TJH":ytozuds2 said:
DavidSeven":ytozuds2 said:
TJH":ytozuds2 said:
I can tell you right now, there's no way Sherm becomes paid the way he wants here in Seattle. He either takes a massive discount to stay, or he walks. The latter is much more likely. If you actually look deeper into Pete and his philosophy his defense is predicated quite differently than most assume. He values pass rush above all. Bennett is going nowhere, and I would be shocked if we didn't try to bring in one more impact rusher.

Yeah, dump a 25 year old shutdown corner for a 29 year old DE/DT who probably isn't Top-15 at his position and plays 50% of the snaps. Makes all the sense in the world. Look, I love Michael Bennett and think there's a reasonable chance you retain both, but your post is non-sensical.

Bennett is absolutely a top 15, and likely top 3 for a 4-3 DE. He is extremely versitile. Playing 50% of the snaps is exactly what Pete wants, and lends even more creedence to my point of striving for pass rushers in numbers.

The bigger point which you seem to miss is you arent dumping one for another, you're dumping one for as many as ~5 other difference makers if Sherm truly wants to be paid at the top of the CB contracts. 15 million+ for a non-QB completely handcuffs the franchise.

Sherm might have the opportunity to take a smaller yearly contract THIS year, and make 9 million more than he is scheduled to. If he turns that down, he will spend the next few years making it up, so hopefully we can get a smaller yearly hit by giving him a huge raise from what he is due to make right now.

DrDix

Reaction score
None. Hope they're Seahawks for the length of their Careers. They're that good.

Latest posts